• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 Plus |OT| ( + )( + )

Wow the same combos don't work, great arguement.
You follow DOA quite a bit so I'm kind of shocked that you don't understand that video. The point isn't that the same combos don't work (it is but it isn't). The point is how skewed risk-vs-reward has become.

For those who don't know, DOA++ (basically DOA1.5) came out in '98 and introduced something called the "critical state." The "critical state" is a stunned state where you can use a defensive hold (counter hold) to escape.

The reason it's a critical state is because the attacker takes damage and loses his momentum if the stunned opponent holds correctly but if the stunned opponent guesses wrong and gets launched then the attacker is rewarded with maximum launch height and that means the opportunity for a damaging juggle. DOA2 and DOA3 played like this as well.

Keep in mind that this is already infinitely more forgiving than any other fighter out there and was one of the big reasons DOA was so poorly received in the overall fighting game community.

In '05, DOA4 introduced the notion that you should have to stun your opponent successfully 4 or 5 times before getting a launcher for max height. Meanwhile, your opponent still only has to guess correctly with a defensive hold once to knock you down. So, now I have to guess correctly 4 or 5 times to get the same damage I used to while my opponent has 4 or 5 opportunities to guess correctly once to get the damage they're used to.

DOA4 did even more things to skew risk/reward in the defender's favor but this is easily DOA4's single biggest flaw and it carried over into DOA Dimensions and DOA5 despite much outcry.

For the record, I'm not ranting here, just explaining the linked video. Like I said, I really don't want to gum up this thread like I did the other one so I am trying to keep my posts to a minimum.

Fusebox

Banned
Sucks if you're into that kind of thing I guess, doesn't make the game any less fun in the slightest for casual fans like me though so I can't freakin wait for this to come out.

DR2K

Banned
You follow DOA quite a bit so I'm kind of shocked that you don't understand that video. The point isn't that the same combos don't work (it is but it isn't). The point is how skewed risk-vs-reward has become.

I understand, but using the same exact combo/set ups to show that isn't the best way to show that.

thundr51

Stupid question: Is this coming digitally as well? Tempted to pick up the boxed copy, and later sell it for the digital just to get the extra stuff.

The wait on Tuesday for chen-time is going to be excruciating for me
Oh my, don't remind me T_T

This is such torture...release the damn demo. Why wait so long to upload something that's already complete? T_T

Why does everything PSN-related seem to take ages? I remember JAW complained that even changing the price of a game has like a month-long delay T_T

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Odd, I just got a shipping confirmation from gamestop for this game, too bad I skimped out on the shipping or I would have gotten this early.

Azuardo

I'm curious to know if I've played against any of you guys on here through random ranked matches...

What are your PSN names to see if I recognise any of you? Mine is the same as my GAF name - Azuardo. I always play as Kasumi in case you may have played me randomly. Anyone think they have?

You know, I've been getting seriously stressed out online the past couple of nights. I mean, I've got to a decent level. I'm D- now, but man, there are many things that just make me rage. It's mostly when I lose matches that I was one or two punches away from winning, or having 2-0 leads and throwing it all away. I hate people that spam shitty moves that I can't block (I think I just need to learn to Hold in the right places) with annoying characters like Brad Wong. I think Brad has to be my most hated character just for the shits that use him online.

But this is kinda crazy stuff because when I'm playing online matches, it feels like I'm fighting an epic final boss in an RPG for the first time. My hands shake and palms get sweaty, and my heart starts beating fast. It's some of the most tense stuff I've played for a while haha. You can probably tell I haven't really played fighters online until now lol!

Well the point is, despite all that, I can't pull myself away from this game. I've only had it a week but I've been glued. I just need to try and take it to that next level now and confidently beat more higher ranked players.

Edit: That had to be one of the shittest matches I've had just now. Just played against some F grade guy who spammed Lei Fang's Backwards-Downwards P+K - the one many use to get through the tough difficulties of Arcade, etc. For someone like myself who's still not competent at holding yet, I failed hard trying to deal with it. Almost smashed my controller in a fit of rage afterwards and dropped a grade to E+.

Grisby

But this is kinda crazy stuff because when I'm playing online matches, it feels like I'm fighting an epic final boss in an RPG for the first time. My hands shake and palms get sweaty, and my heart starts beating fast. It's some of the most tense stuff I've played for a while haha. You can probably tell I haven't really played fighters online until now lol!
This happens tp me a lot too. I'm not big into fighters but I fell hard for DOA5 back when it was originally released. Playing the game has resulted in some super stressful moments. It's kind of addicting in a way.

Can;t wait to get my hands on the Vita version.

The game is going to be streamed at 08:00pm japan time here:

http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv128224583
So at 7 am eastern. Nice, get to watch it a bit before heading out. Thanks for the heads up.

Yeah, I know that feel. When I play other fighters like P4U or Blazblue, my performance gets hit by nervousness. Same with DOA in lobbies or rank. In simple matches, I don't really care if I lose though and I don't get nervous as much. Thought it would go away by now but hasn't.

DR2K

Banned
Finally some extended (and hopefully direct-feed) footage of the game.

You know what the saddest thing ever is, by the way? That "Unable to find an opponent" message in ranked (I'm attempting to play on PS3).

You'd think the game came out in 2005 or something T_T

Everyone is playing lobby matches.

no preorder bonuses from anywhere right?

I'm looking forward to this but ive got monster hunter and some comic books coming out on tuesday so I should probably wait

danmaku

For those who don't know, DOA++ (basically DOA1.5) came out in '98 and introduced something called the "critical state." The "critical state" is a stunned state where you can use a defensive hold (counter hold) to escape.

The reason it's a critical state is because the attacker takes damage and loses his momentum if the stunned opponent holds correctly but if the stunned opponent guesses wrong and gets launched then the attacker is rewarded with maximum launch height and that means the opportunity for a damaging juggle. DOA2 and DOA3 played like this as well.

Keep in mind that this is already infinitely more forgiving than any other fighter out there and was one of the big reasons DOA was so poorly received in the overall fighting game community.

In '05, DOA4 introduced the notion that you should have to stun your opponent successfully 4 or 5 times before getting a launcher for max height. Meanwhile, your opponent still only has to guess correctly with a defensive hold once to knock you down. So, now I have to guess correctly 4 or 5 times to get the same damage I used to while my opponent has 4 or 5 opportunities to guess correctly once to get the damage they're used to.

DOA4 did even more things to skew risk/reward in the defender's favor but this is easily DOA4's single biggest flaw and it carried over into DOA Dimensions and DOA5 despite much outcry.

For the record, I'm not ranting here, just explaining the linked video. Like I said, I really don't want to gum up this thread like I did the other one so I am trying to keep my posts to a minimum.

What do you have to guess to get a counter? I'm asking because I never played DoA; if you need to guess something like the next attack being low/mid/high, someone who memorized the standard combo for each character should be able to get out of a combo every single time (unless combos have an insane number of variations). Clearly, I'm missing something.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.

I'm looking forward to this but ive got monster hunter and some comic books coming out on tuesday so I should probably wait
You get 6 cheerleader outfits from gamestop if you pre-order, however its likely they will eventually release this as paid dlc anyways.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Cheerleader costumes for the girls at Gamestop. I'm preordering my copy there this weekend.
Almost makes me tempted to grab the PS3 version since dlc is shared.

Edit: Beaten.

Game looks very nice on Vita. Pleasently surprised at how close to the console version it is.
Yep, so far the only glaring omissions I see are the environmental effects (splashes/glistening water on Zack Island, the chilly frost on the ice stage, etc.)

In Online, I only saw Simple Match and Online Dojo, by the way :-X

EDIT: Dat Kokoro hair clipping :-X

Had to laugh at the part when Ayana asked why it was moving and asking if it was because of the wind. Of course when Meijin takes over, he plays with that feature.

Game looks good

DR2K

Banned
Yep, so far the only glaring omissions I see are the environmental effects (splashes/glistening water on Zack Island, the chilly frost on the ice stage, etc.)

In Online, I only saw Simple Match and Online Dojo, by the way :-X

EDIT: Dat Kokoro hair clipping :-X

She needs to shave her pits.

With the shitty streaming res it looks practically identical. My main concern was framerate drops but I guess I'll hear it here first since its gonna take an extra 3 days for euro land

edit: wtf at the clipping

DR2K

Banned
New costumes.

ss01_11.jpg

ss01_12.jpg

ss02_08.jpg

ss02_09.jpg

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Is there archive footage of the Nico Nico broadcast available?

Not really feeling the cheerleader outfits, but I'm sure I'll end up buying them anyway lol

Pai's swimsuit is cool. Sarah's is boring.

Shinriji

So it looks beautiful, plays well and loads fast. Missing content is very minor and have loads of new content to make up for it.

It looks that DOA5 will be the game to go on the vita for a long time.

First there was Neo-Geo Pocket.

Not too long after, SFA3 Upper on GBA assumed the portable fighting game throne.

Then, Tekken 5 and Soul Calibur on PSP rocketed the whole genre to new heights on handhelds.

UMvC3 gave us a glimpse of what could now be possible, and DOA5+ looks poised to bust through that door and deliver the future today (or on Tuesday, whatever).

Bow down before Team DOA, your new gods.

Top Bottom