• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 Plus |OT| ( + )( + )

mrklaw

MrArseFace
the only thing I wish was in there would be an AR mode like in Everybody's Golf. Kasumi in Dexy's midnight runners dungarees sitting on my sofa?

GorillaJu

Do you guys think it's worth buying for single player stuff?

DOA games are typically satisfying to play, even single player. It's one of the more fun pick-up-and-play fighting games, and it's the only one I'd recommend buying for single player (despite that I like Street Fighter, Tekken, Marvel, etc. more as games)

Dantis

So here's something interesting on Zavvi:

Pre-order Edition Includes DLC Costume Pack:

The 3 characters are:
Hitomi
Kokoro
Lisa

What costumes are these? Lisa doesn't have a cheerleader outfit.

Squire

Banned
So here's something interesting on Zavvi:

What costumes are these? Lisa doesn't have a cheerleader outfit.

Could be swimsuits. Only Game has the cheer leader outfits. They haven't announced anything for anyone other than Game and GameStop yet though.

suikodan

Great title!

I can't wait for this game!

Anyone knows if a CE has been announced for the NA version of the game? If not, I'll get the game on PSN and always have it on my Vita *drools*

I've been holding off the PS3 version for this one.

Squire

Banned
Great title!

I can't wait for this game!

Anyone knows if a CE has been announced for the NA version of the game? If not, I'll get the game on PSN and always have it on my Vita *drools*

I've been holding off the PS3 version for this one.

No CE in the west.

Ainaurdur

Vita version can't be 5,5 GB - biggest cards are 4GB (with around 3,5 GB available for devs)

Well it wouldn't be the first game to go over 3.5+gb.

PSO2 requires a total of at least 4.6gb, but admittedly that may be a special case.

I don't know if Sony places limits on most games and made an exception, or if it is simply up to the developers to try to keep it low knowing that many people might only have the 4gb MCs.

Dantis

No CE in the west.

Thank goodness. That gravure video is massively creepy.

Think I've solved the DLC mystery. They've already shown seven cheer leader outfits on the Tecmo Facebook page. Six are in the pack.

Trust TN to not give us the whole thing, haha.

Squire

Banned
Thank goodness. That gravure video is massively creepy.

Think I've solved the DLC mystery. They've already shown seven cheer leader outfits on the Tecmo Facebook page. Six are in the pack.

Trust TN to not give us the whole thing, haha.

Yeah, at this I'm anticipating going digital if the size isn't too big. The pre-order bonuses are nothing to stress over.

Dantis

Wonder if vita gets exclusive costumes like umk ninjas for mk9.

The exclusive outfits are the training dummy ones. They're actually rather cool.

Yeah, at this I'm anticipating going digital if the size isn't too big. The pre-order bonuses are nothing to stress over.

I'll probably just rent it. It looks really excellent, but it doesn't look like it tops the PS3 version in any significant way.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'll probably just rent it. It looks really excellent, but it doesn't look like it tops the PS3 version in any significant way.

Training mode that's expanded for on the go training isn't significant? :/

Azuardo

Urgghh I HATE everyone that uses Brad Wong in this game. He's just all over the place when I fight him. I don't know how to take him on whether he's rolling around on the floor or handstanding and kicking me about with his feet. Probably the most frustrating opponent I've played against online. Maybe I just still suck.

How is the netcode?
Nearly flawless if the post-patch console performance is anything to go by.

35/40 from Famitsu. The same esteemed publication gave Tekken 5 on PSP (probably the best portable fighter to this day) a 31/40, so it means nothing, as per.

Squire

Banned
Oh god, Dark Ressurrction was absolutely godlike. Especially with game sharing in school. Maybe two of us actually owned the game, but a dozen of us played!

Oh god, Dark Ressurrction was absolutely godlike. Especially with game sharing in school. Maybe two of us actually owned the game, but a dozen of us played!

You dirty game-sharing pirates! It's because of people like you that aways online DRM and locked games are being considered for the next gen. Think of the developers!

/sarcasm

Takao

Banned
You dirty game-sharing pirates! It's because of people like you that aways online DRM and locked games are being considered for the next gen. Think of the developers!

/sarcasm

He didn't mean Game Sharing as in PSN account sharing. He meant Game Sharing as in a multi-player option that allows a Tekken: Dark Resurrection owner to compete against a player who doesn't own the game on PSP. Few games used this functionality on PSP.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Can someone link me to some of Grapefruitman's most awesome violent rants? That's a lot of pages to sift through to get to the goods.

Squire

Banned
He didn't mean Game Sharing as in PSN account sharing. He meant Game Sharing as in a multi-player option that allows a Tekken: Dark Resurrection owner to compete against a player who doesn't own the game on PSP. Few games used this functionality on PSP.

It was the most bizarre/awesome inclusion.

A developer sanctioned method of game sharing? Carry on then. Weren't there a few NDS games that had that functionality too? Advance Wars for example.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
( . Y . ) is the superior way to make ASCII boobs FYI

( + )( + ) is appropriate for the high-pressure weaponized version in this game.

DLC8_EX9_Aya_DLC_002.jpg

Dat sideboob. Clearly an unrealistic and unnecessary objectification of the fairer sex.

Oh God, the chafing

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

To be fair, few titles on the DS did either.

Can someone link me to some of Grapefruitman's most awesome violent rants? That's a lot of pages to sift through to get to the goods.
I can't find the highlights, but here are some of the more recent ones:

Just tweeted this to TN:

BCUzeBdCEAA7gCU.jpg:large

Don't expect to get any ground grabs in with her: they made it so you could tech roll off the ground instantly in this latest patch. One of the community's biggest gripes with DOA4 & Dimensions. Team Ninja don't give a fuck. Why am I playing this terrible game instead of VF5FS?

You don't have to take the tits out of DOA, Tekken and Soulcalibur are two solid fighting games with tits. In comparison, DOA is just a game with tits. The other games, besides being better fighters, also have more variety in their tits. DOA has the same tits copied and pasted onto every single girl.

Earlier I was just venting some frustration. Now I'm back to being genuinely upset with this game and it's not trolling and I'm not wrong. This game is genuinely bad.

I keep trying to give this game an honest shot. After already owning the 360 CE version, I went out and bought the PS3 version specifically to try this 1.03 patch on the recommendation that I'd like it and on Mr. Wah's comment that he likes it as much as 3.1 but for different reasons. In the last 1.5 weeks of owning it, I've put ~40 hours into it and have not been able to find these redeeming qualities. Am I not entitled to discuss my experience? I forgot that NeoGAF was that place where no one ever complained about video games. My mistake.

DOA has always had the casual appeal (lots of costumes, awesome stages, cool moves, etc) but there was always a depth to it and you were rewarded for being smart. Those older DOA games got a lot of flack because they were still much more forgiving than other fighters at the time (and even now). After screwing up you were allotted one do-over hold but if you botched that too then you were in for a world of hurt. DOA4 comes along and says you get four to five do-overs now. That was the biggest slap to the dicks of long-time DOA players and it's still present in this game. What's worse this time around was Team Ninja specifically stated they wanted to make a game that could be played competitively. The alpha demo showed some progress, the E3 build showed some more progress (and some steps back) but then Team Ninja took it all back right before release. That's "trolling."

"For all the competitive fighters, DOA5 is better than the previous versions. We want Dead or Alive 5 to be a competitive fighting game. The game has become more competitive than it used to be before, and we have balanced and adjusted it so that it can be that way." - Yohei Shimbori

We were lied right to our faces. He told the same thing to people he met with at pre-release events as well. Why shouldn't I be mad?

We've told Team Ninja countless times what's wrong with the game and how to fix it and they still won't do it, even after saying they will. What response should I have besides "Your game is bad and you should feel bad?"

They're blinded by ignorance. "DOA was never about competitive play." Yes it was, you just never played competitively, so you wouldn't know. "DOA was always about mix-ups and guessing." Play DOA1, DOA++, DOA2 and DOA3 and then try and tell me that. What do you mean you've "only played DOA4 before?"

You guys want frame advantage? Okay. No wait, we take it back. You guys want sidestepping? Okay... but we're going to make every single part of a string re-track your opponent thus making the sidestep completely irrelevant and just to make it that much worse since you're in recovery during the sidestep you'll get hit with counter (125%) damage too. You guys want grapplers to get guaranteed ground throws? Okay. No wait, we're patching that out. You want to be at advantage when you break your opponents' guard? Okay. LOL NOPE PATCHING THAT TOO. You want to get that big damage after out-smarting your opponent? Okay, we're adding this new "critical burst" mechanic that will let you get that big damage after two, maybe three, good hits. NOT IN THE FINAL BIOTCH, GOTTA GUESS FOUR-FIVE TIMES NOW JUST LIKE IN THAT DOA4 GAME YOU HATED FOR THE SAME EXACT REASON. Oh shit, we accidentally left in an item that rewards smart play in our latest patch? DON'T WORRY GUYS, WE'LL PATCH IT OUT.

6zJGEtb.jpg
SYfV1sj.jpg

Thou hast been judged.

Top Bottom