• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DeVos, Sessions expected to be confirmed in tight votes

Status
Not open for further replies.

lazygecko

Since she will most likely get through, I hope this happens. Show Trump, his cronies and the disgusting GOP they can't do whatever they want with the children education.

The whole GOP agenda is centered around dismantling public services and schools are one of the prime targets. Why would they even care?

wondermega

A guy at work supports her for the sole reason that he sends his 6 year old kid to a private school, and absolutely hates that his tax dollars goes towards paying for public schools. He is entirely for the voucher program. I tried talking to him about it, saying - well, if everyone who paid for private schools didn't get taxed for public schools...well then might as well add for people like me who don't have kids not get taxed for public schools as well.. Where does that leave the public schools at? They won't be able to keep the doors open, or their education experience will be so poor that they might as well not even go to school.

He wasn't having any of it, lol.

"If you're not me, then go fuck yourself"

Dr.Acula

Banned
As someone else from the UK, how can someone who is not elected in a general election be selected for a cabinet position?

It's not a parliamentary system, the logic being that they are not beholden to campaign donors or to their local constituents over the national interest. They're like Deputy Ministers, except because they serve at the pleasure of congress, unlike high-ranking civil servants they are not "entrenched" in their position either, or beholden to "office politics."

edit: Deputy Minister is the Canadian term, you call them "permanent secretary."

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
As someone else from the UK, how can someone who is not elected in a general election be selected for a cabinet position?

It's extremely common to have people never elected for anything be the majority of the cabinet. We prefer people with a lot of direct experience with the subject of their position. The typical education cabinet member was a superintendent or commissioner of a school district first.

Seems a little backwards to me that the UK apparently only has parliment members fill cabinet roles, but at least that probably means they have government experience.

DeVos's only experience with education is in lobbying efforts to end public schooling. She didn't even go to public school herself, or send her kids to it. And her only experience in government is buying her way to a co-chair of the michigan republican party. And you only have to listen to her talk for 5 seconds before realizing she has no idea what she's doing.

Woorloog

Banned
It's the Republicans, what do you want? Party before country is LITERALLY their *entire* MO.

I have a vague recollection of reading how a Republican or Republicans complained about the Democrats having to vote along party lines or something. I remember thinking it sounded somewhat ironic.

flyover

The whole GOP agenda is centered around dismantling public services and schools are one of the prime targets. Why would they even care?

Yeah, she's the full package for them. Someone who'll press for privatization, and who will fuck up public education (both deliberately and inadvertently) in the process -- which then they hope will drive even more support for charters/vouchers/privatization.

br3wnor

The only reason Murkowski and Collins are voting no is because they know they have the votes whipped to confirm DeVos.

That was my thinking when they first announced their no votes. Gives them cover in their own states (Rural ones which are going to get absolutely fucked if Devos can push through the voucher school dream) but doesn't put the nomination in danger since they have the out w/ Pence voting.

It's disgraceful, outside of public schools she's also going to have policy power over student loans and can't imagine the bullshit they'll pull there.

shaneskim

It's not a parliamentary system, the logic being that they are not beholden to campaign donors or to their local constituents over the national interest. They're like Deputy Ministers, except because they serve at the pleasure of congress, unlike high-ranking civil servants they are not "entrenched" in their position either, or beholden to "office politics."

edit: Deputy Minister is the Canadian term, you call them "permanent secretary."

It's extremely common to have people never elected for anything be the majority of the cabinet. We prefer people with a lot of direct experience with the subject of their position. The typical education cabinet member was a superintendent or commissioner of a school district first.

Seems a little backwards to me that the UK apparently only has parliment members fill cabinet roles, but at least that probably means they have government experience.

DeVos's only experience with education is in lobbying efforts to end public schooling. She didn't even go to public school herself, or send her kids to it. And her only experience in government is buying her way to a co-chair of the michigan republican party. And you only have to listen to her talk for 5 seconds before realizing she has no idea what she's doing.

Thanks both. Yes, not saying the UK approach is any better or worse from an experience perspective (look at Jeremy Hunt!) but I suppose at least the constituents can vote them out.

Boylamite

Can we have Davos instead of Devos?

Davos_Seaworth-Liam_Cunningham.jpg
That character is illiterate, but even that is a step up.

Edit: beaten like a protestor.

norinrad

Except Bannon, does anyone in Trump's administration know what they are doing?

theWB27

Mccain has an opportunity to send the biggest fuck you to trump and he's a coward.

The dems can blame everything that's gonna happen to this country in the coming years and i wonder if they have a plan to capitalize on it.

JdFoX187

Banned
I've done my part and contacted by of my state's senators, despite knowing full well they won't do anything about it. Inhoffe and Lankford will fight each other to be the first in line to kiss her ass.

What irritates me the most, however, is that I know of a few teachers who are in favor of her appointment. Fucking public school teachers are chomping at the bit to slice their own throats because they have children and want them to have the chance to attend private schools. It's fucking unbelievable.

Balphon

The laughably despicable part is that McConnell pulled the vote on DeVos forward so Sessions can vote for her before resigning.

Zubz

Banned
Pat Toomey's trying to claim his constituents' voices are blocked out by people from other states. Thus, the overwhelming blowback from DeVos is invalid.

Fuck this guy; he will do anything to ignore us.

Maledict

The major difference is that permanent secrataries are exactly that - permanent. They are by law politically neutral and work for whichever party is in power. They act as a non-partisan barrier, and prevent party politics from creeping into the civil service.

It's one of those weird things where America does it differently to everyone else, like electing judges or sheriffs. The idea of party hacks being given the keys of power to state departments is terrifying tbh.

draetenth

Pat Toomey's trying to claim his constituents' voices are blocked out by people from other states. Thus, the overwhelming blowback from DeVos is invalid.

Fuck this guy; he will do anything to ignore us.

And fuck everyone who voted him in... I'm still pissed he won.

It was probably a backroom GOP deal to allow the two GOP senators who are voting against DeVos to do so. The GOP knows those senators are vulnerable in their reelection campaigns, so this gives them a talking point to appeal to moderates and say they opposed DeVos, all while knowing that a 50-50 tie would be broken in the GOP's favor anyway by Pence.

Collins isn't up until 2020 and Murkowski isn't up until 2022

By then no one will care about Betsy DeVos at all, tbh

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
A guy at work supports her for the sole reason that he sends his 6 year old kid to a private school, and absolutely hates that his tax dollars goes towards paying for public schools. He is entirely for the voucher program. I tried talking to him about it, saying - well, if everyone who paid for private schools didn't get taxed for public schools...well then might as well add for people like me who don't have kids not get taxed for public schools as well.. Where does that leave the public schools at? They won't be able to keep the doors open, or their education experience will be so poor that they might as well not even go to school.

So he doesn't care about America, just himself. What a fucking asshole.

Toxi

Banned
It's amazing how the outrage over Sessions, a god-damned Klansman, came and went so fast.
Sessions wasn't actually a member of the Klan, so despite being just as repugnant, he just sailed by because you aren't racist in this country unless you wear a white hood and burn a cross.

Omadahl

Banned
Can't wait to lose my teaching job and then be denied a Pell Grant because I'm atheist. This country is done. Put a nuke in it.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

Yea I know a good number of fiscally conservative friends and it's quite startling how their entire worldview essentially boils down to not giving a fuck about anyone but themselves really. They dress it up and appear to extend an olive branch with support towards certain charities, which is noble, but any political debate pretty much shows how callous and spiteful they are to the citizenry at large due to unwillingness to support nearly any federal program.

It often feels like talking with an entirely different person, one in which decency and compassion fades into darkness at the subject. I almost want to record some of their toddler-level disproval antics. There is no solution, there is no desire for a proposed solution either. Just complete lack of sympathy for anyone but themselves when tax dollars are at play.

taoofjord

Republican politicians fear education, of course they want someone shitty to do the job. I still don't get how the party can be so over the top evil though. Surely there's one more with some kind of moral center.

LProtag

I'm really worried about my profession. It's already a tough one, and with low birth rates in my state there's declining enrollment and cuts due to that coming up.

I have no idea what DeVos would do on top of that.

It's easy to say "teachers should just bail and find a new job if it gets bad"... but I have a bachelors degree in English and a masters degree in education. I don't have many other options. This is what I trained for. More importantly: this is what I want to do with my life.

Slacker

Republican politicians fear education, of course they want someone shitty to do the job. I still don't get how the party can be so over the top evil though. Surely there's one more with some kind of moral center.

I would love to see a sliver of evidence that a single elected GOP congressperson ever voted their conscience against their party when it mattered (not this phony Collins/Murkowski horseshit). Not a single one of them has an ounce of principle. If the Dems actually find someone on the right with a shred of integrity and get them to flip, Collins or Murkowski will fall on their sword and switch back over. Lock it in. Party first, country second, principles never.

The Llama

Supposedly phones are now open to Toomey in both his DC office and PA office.

No chance he'll vote no on DeVos but it's tempting to call and just complain about how much I hate him. He and Trump are genuinely inspiring me to try to get into politics though tbh, so maybe I should thank him.

No chance he'll vote no on DeVos but it's tempting to call and just complain about how much I hate him. He and Trump are genuinely inspiring me to try to get into politics though tbh, so maybe I should thank him.

I am so with you there.

I don't think I can help change rural central Pennsylvania though, so I've decided to move. The election and the general ugliness around it are a big factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom