• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Can Halo 5 deliver on its 60fps promise?

i just want the game to look and play like the beta i played earlier in the year/last year and i will just fine.

what was the resolution and framerate of the beta?

KainXVIII

With 810 vertical lines in play we're looking at a resolution ranging from 1920x810 to 832x810
e9576968c82663e3ba07f962edc0722e.gif

Dynamic res whatever, as long as the game maintains 60fps. Framerate > iq. Always.

People keep saying this but how many of the great 60fps titles you remembered really had the image quality suffer to this extent? All the great 60fps titles also looked great and it was impressive that they ran at such a frame rate.

OneUh8

Was never going to be 1080p. How many shooters do you know that can hit 1080p/60fps on Xbox One? How many do you know that can even achieve that on PS4 easily?

It was always going to be dynamic scaling with the goal to hit 60fps.

True. Guess I was just hoping that with all the resourced MS is surely pouring into Halo they would be able to achieve and max out the Xbox One that other devs can't. I will however take 60fps over higher res all day on any competitive multiplayer shooter.

Purest 78

Aside from split screen, what has been compromised? The campaign is supposedly larger than ever, Warzone will have maps 4 times as big as any in the series and will have 12v12 battles, for Arena we're getting things like dynamic spectator modes, etc. Split screen may be a compromise between functionality, but the majority were always going to be playing single screen. Keep on keeping on Percy. I look forward to see if you buy the game at launch with how invested you usually are in the Halo 5 threads.

I would assume he means compromises on resolution and graphics To hit 60fps. Let's face it neither are close to impressive at this point. You mentioned game modes nothing technical to affect 60fps.

OneUh8

The most surprising thing is that Bungie of all people managed to squeeze 1080p out of X1.

And Destiny is gorgeous to boot. And cross gen game also released on 4 different platforms. 343 has one single hardware to target. I wonder what Bungie could achieve if they dropped last gen .

GnawtyDog

Banned
Lots of concern trolling in here.....

But yea, I'd like to see them make the necessary compromises to get a reasonably solid 60fps. It will get shit on by certain folks in the DF thread or whatever and it wont get any awards for graphics, but the game will actually be more fun and satisfying to play, which is what is important in the end.

60fps now determines how much fun and satisfying a game is/plays? Oh god...

Uncharted has good graphics and bad gameplay. Halo has bad graphics and good gameplay.

Gold!

Fezan

Uncharted has good graphics and bad gameplay. Halo has bad graphics and good gameplay.

wrong on both accounts.

Halo was synonymous with pushing hardware during og xbox and even on xbox360 bungie were doing pretty fantastic things that no one else was doing

Damn, even lower than the resolution on cheap laptops (1366x768). Though I hope they keep 60fps 99% of the time, that would be worth the resolution hit imo.

Monocle

I'm going to go ahead and be cynical here. 343 won't manage to deliver a locked 60fps at 1080p (or close to it), and I'll be vindicated in my disappointment that they cut splitscreen for the sake of a more ambitious experience or whatever their explanation is.

There. Now I have plenty of room to be pleasantly surprised if they surpass my expectations and apply the lessons they should have learned from Halo 4 and Bungie's example.

All I want is a really good campaign that's as replayable as Halo 3's best missions.

PnCIa

Everytime a controversial opinion about Uncharted is voiced in a thread thats actually not about Uncharted, the next couple of pages turn into a shitfest.
Please stay with Halo!

Seanspeed

Banned
Everytime a controversial opinion about Uncharted is voiced in a thread thats actually not about Uncharted, the next couple of pages turn into a shitfest.
Please stay with Halo!
You cant even have a controversial opinion about Uncharted in an Uncharted thread, to be fair. But yes, keep all that shit out of here please.

Javin98

Banned
Please stay with Halo!
Well, he also said Halo had bad graphics, so I suppose you agree with that too?

GnawtyDog

Banned
60fps makes a game, especially a competitive shooter, more satisfying to play. I did not say it is the sole contributing factor and don't know why you interpreted it like that.

I interpreted what I read correctly. The suggestion that 60fps makes Halo a more fun and satisfying game to play. You're always welcomed to clarify.

Satisfaction: "fulfillment of one's wishes, expectations, or needs, or the pleasure derived from this - enjoyment."

You cant even have a controversial opinion about Uncharted in an Uncharted thread, to be fair. But yes, keep all that shit out of here please.

Of course, it's a forum. What would you expect? :\
To be fair, you cant even have a controversial opinion about <insert your favorite game here> in an <insert your favorite game here> thread

Seanspeed

Banned
I interpreted what I read correctly. The suggestion that 60fps makes Halo a more fun and satisfying game to play. You're always welcomed to clarify.
I don't know what your issue is, then. 60fps feels better than 30fps. I dearly hope you're not about to try and claim otherwise.

dEvAnGeL

Microsoft sent people to bungie to make it happen, originally destiny was not going to be 1080p on X1
you really think thats how it went down,lol, so they can make a third party developer hit their target but not on their first party game? that was all PR, destiny was always gonna run at 1080p and the xbox1, same as GTA5, cuts were made on one platform to suit the other, those are 2 incredibly big AAA games and siding with one company over the other is never good specially when launching a new IP, it amazes me poeple really believe everything they see on the internet

Angel_DvA

Well, he also said Halo had bad graphics, so I suppose you agree with that too?

I think everyone can agree that Halo 5 is far from being a looker, especially from a second wave of exclusive games, if they can lock it up at 60 then we'll talk but for now, it's definitely not...

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
while obviously a steady 60 is preferred to dropped frames, i'd be fine if it dipped in action sequences ala cod in campaign. multiplayer however NEEDS to be as close to locked at 60 as fucking possible. i'm sure 343i is aiming for a steady 60 and i trust they'll get there. in other words, i'm not worried based on the state of a pre-release e3 demo (or footage from dev builds in the sprint, lol).

BokehKing

Banned
you really think thats how it went down,lol, so they can make a third party developer hit their target but not on their first party game? that was all PR, destiny was always gonna run at 1080p and the xbox1, same as GTA5, cuts were made on one platform to suit the other, those are 2 incredibly big AAA games and siding with one company over the other is never good specially when launching a new IP, it amazes me poeple really believe everything they see on the internet
Err they sent a team to blizzard to make Diablo 3 1080p on x1 as well

Javin98

Banned
I think everyone can agree that Halo 5 is far from being a looker, especially from a second wave of exclusive games, if they can lock it up at 60 then we'll talk but for now, it's definitely not...
Like I said earlier, I think it looks good, but I was expecting a lot more. Also, I highly doubt it will be a locked 60FPS. Some parts from that video dipped into the 40's.

GnawtyDog

Banned
I don't know what your issue is, then. 60fps feels better than 30fps. I dearly hope you're not about to try and claim otherwise.

And you think I will claim so why? The question is rather how 60fps makes Halo a MORE fun game? The value proposition is interesting given Halo's history of being a 30fps game. How much less fun will Halo 5 be if it were to release at 1080p 30fps, vs. variable res 900p, 60fps...

Teletraan1

Banned
Is this even a serious question? They wouldn't cut it unless the people were a minority. Frank did say that the numbers weren't 'trivial' which does imply it's a lot of Halo players that use split screen, but the majority, in 2015 were going to be single screen, if they weren't, they would make split screen a priority if the majority played that way.

It is pretty sad that in 2015 a company with the resources available to them has to play the majority/vocal minority game on their flagship title. This isn't some indie dev here. This is THE title that made XBOX what it is today and local co-op was a huge draw for a non-trivial amount of people. Frankly this excuse does not stand.

Only 42% of players finished Mass Effect 3. They should cut having an end to the next game. Only 18% used a FemShep, they should just cut out the choice of male vs female because majority rules. I just love arguing for less options in games. It is so fun.

Qassim

I interpreted what I read correctly. The suggestion that 60fps makes Halo a more fun and satisfying game to play.

Wait, are you suggesting it doesn't? D:

And you think I will claim so why? The question is rather how 60fps makes Halo a MORE fun game?

A game that is more fluid and responsive is more enjoyable than the same game that is less responsive and less fluid (with all else equal). It's fairly easy to understand.

Purest 78

Imo the people who value FR over everything else is a small Minority. Great graphics have sold a lot more games than Framerates ever have or will.

OneUh8

Err they sent a team to blizzard to make Diablo 3 1080p on x1 as well

Quite honestly Both Sony and MS do this more often than is reported. I would take a guess that not only all first party, but many of the big 3rd party games gets this sort of treatment. Especially early in the gen.

hesido

Kudos for them trying 60fps and even putting resolution second (that's how I'd prefer too) but I think the majority of the market doesn't care about 60fps.

Top Bottom