• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Assassin creed origins Xbox one x tech first look.

SpotAnime

You're missing now they're act like they "planned" to buy Xbox One X.
Yeah no, implying i would ever trust their replies.

I only own an Xbox One OG, and I've been waiting for Scorpio so I can finally run games at full 1080p at a locked 30/60 frame rate. That's all I wanted. The S doesn't that for me, only the X.

Although for $100 less, I can get that right now with the Pro, or even mostly with the Slim at $249. And let's not go into the exclusives, that's for another thread.

Microsoft over-promised and under-delivered on the first One, but yet I was still ready to let them make good with the Scorpio. I am salty at that price point, and am thinking of getting out of the Xbox ecosystem altogether because of them consistently disappointing.

At this point if I'm playing Origins, it's going to be on a PS4 or PC.

STANNY

Neo Member
PS4 Pro runs some games in native 4K but Sony didn't market that at all they went all in telling about the checkerboard or Interpolation (or whatever that called) techniques from the start. They could have simply said it runs true 4k but devs can do whatever they like

PlayStation marketed the pro as a 4k console, any talk of upscaling was always in *small print*.

From their own press release.
Experience supported PlayStation®4 games in 4K* quality with the enhanced graphical power of PlayStation®4 Pro

Offering 4K quality gaming and entertainment, PS4 Pro offers enhanced graphical and processing power, delivering greater detail and unprecedented visual precision. Like all PS4 consoles, PS4 Pro will also support HDR technology.

JP

I know people look down on it but checkerboard rendering can be absolutely fantastic.

I think the issue here though is not that it uses checkerboard rendering but all the misguided PR that I don't think really fooled anybody. The game looks beautiful but to me, it is just another Assasin's Creed so I'd only really pick up discounted, which will likely happen pretty quickly.

MilkyJoe

Doesn't change what Phil said. He didn't state that exception nor was it implied. Also, Origins was a showcase game at the conference. It takes on a different significance from another random 3rd party games.

He literally said that 4K is not mandated and that devs can use the power however they life. Where have you been hiding?? Everyone but you seems to know this.

btags

Ok im confused, someone explain the difference between dynamic 4k and checkerboard 4k? (I could just google it I suppose)

I am not an expert by any means, but this is how I understand it. Checkerboard 4k would be when half of the pixels are rendered in a 4k image in a checkerboard like fashion, while the remaining pixels are rendered using data from previous frames (or current frames and then extrapolating, I am not sure). Dynamic 4k could achieve a native resolution of 4k, but in demanding scenarios the resolution would lower to maintain performance. For example, in a light scenario the game could render at full 4k but in a heavy scenario, the game could drop resolution to 1080p which would then be upscaled to 4k.

You know what I find quite funny on here is most people who actually intend to buy this console are saying, this is fine, we knew this all along. I know I and others said that we'd prefer 4K checkerboard for higher settings.

Then you get the people who clearly have no intention of buying this are like LOLOLOL TRUE 4Kinda.

Everyone knew since this thing was announced that it was only 1st party games which would be running at 4K.

Its also a bloody alpha build.
Same thing happened with the Pro. It's just a Gaf response. Spencer didn't help himself with easily misconstrued soundbites either.

you'll last long.

GatsuSLO

Neo Member
Xombies before X1X about PS4Pro

Checkerboarding is not true 4K!!!!!

Xombies now:

Checkerboarding is ok!!!

And Phil Spencer saying that PS4Pro is to compete with X1S and not X1X, because its not True 4K console.

panda-zebra

Banned
Nice to see True 4K making its debut to achieve Pixel Purity. You can almost feel the true power. In fact it's almost unfair.

Some people won't like seeing it and will claim "it's already happening, look at them" etc., but this kind of response was guaranteed when MS set us up for it. Not doing themselves or us any favours in this regard.

So instead of talking about a game looking amazing and no doubt being the best console version out there when it drops, instead the threads will be legitimately opened up to memes, misguided PR quotes and fanboy finger-pointing. Sad.

Kysen

Xombies now:

Checkerboarding is ok!!!

And Phil Spencer saying that PS4Pro is to compete with X1S and not X1X, because its not True 4K console.
This is not a good look for a junior.

Dovahking

t10JTWm.jpg

Yikes.

Luckydog

Absolutely not, it's actually the sensible approach to adopt in many cases on these consoles due to the CPU limitation.

The problem comes in however when Microsoft start calling checkerboarding "True 4K". There's nothing true about it.

Find Xbox thread
[ctrl + F]
"GHG"
Shitting on MS to "keep it real"
Act surprised
?
Profit

Bit underwhelmed by CB, but it appears that the artifacts are less visible there than watch dogs 2 for example, even when zooming in. Is there a difference in implementation?

But I think it's still a positive showing since they managed to bring higher settings and have what appears to be a locked framerate, just not as impressive as doing that at native 4k, which is a bummer.

A bit disappointing if it runs at xbox one settings
It doesn't, they say it looks like it's using high end pc settings.

KAOz

Short bus special

Xombies now:

Checkerboarding is ok!!!

Please. No, let's not do that.

Xombies now:

Checkerboarding is ok!!!

Guys this is definitely an alternate account made purely for trolling.

Xombies now:

Checkerboarding is ok!!!

Ehhh...
Maybe go to N4G if you want to system-war so much?

The Pro gets a lot of shit for not doing native 4k games (even though it does on some games) so I can see One X getting a lot of shit too, every time it does checkerboarding on a game, thanks to MS talking up "True 4k Gaming"

Not really sure why people care so much though, because checkerboarding still looks great and most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference, if they didn't know the actual resolution spec.

Xombies now:

Checkerboarding is ok!!!

Hahahahahaha, wow.

Some of the posts in this thread are really embarrasing and highlight confirmation bias to the extreme for all to see.

Skyline Owl

Neo Member
One thing is for certain, this E3 has been incredible for populating my ignore list. =/

Anyways, it looks really nice, but I don't think I'm ready for another AC game yet.

Leyasu

Banned

Xombies now:

Checkerboarding is ok!!!

Fresh from n4g I reckon

MisterR

Yeah...I'd be good with that too.

Andherewego.gif

This has nothing to do with MS's claims. People are clueless.

This is Phi's PR bullshit biting him in the ass, as well it should. If he hadn't gone around sprouting bullshit all week, I don't think it would be an issue.

Bustanen

The Pro gets a lot of shit for not doing native 4k games (even though it does on some games) so I can see One X getting a lot of shit too, every time it does checkerboarding on a game, thanks to MS talking up "True 4k Gaming"

Not really sure why people care so much though, because checkerboarding still looks great and most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference, if they didn't know the actual resolution spec.
Nothing wrong with checkerboarding. Phil just needs to shut up about True 4K and dissing the Pro.

R aka Bon

I only own an Xbox One OG, and I've been waiting for Scorpio so I can finally run games at full 1080p at a locked 30/60 frame rate. That's all I wanted. The S doesn't that for me, only the X.

Although for $100 less, I can get that right now with the Pro, or even mostly with the Slim at $249. And let's not go into the exclusives, that's for another thread.

Microsoft over-promised and under-delivered on the first One, but yet I was still ready to let them make good with the Scorpio. I am salty at that price point, and am thinking of getting out of the Xbox ecosystem altogether because of them consistently disappointing.

At this point if I'm playing Origins, it's going to be on a PS4 or PC.

That is a very odd statement to make when the it's and alpha build with high settings equivalent to pc high settings, and the fact that you don't know how ps4 pro compares, and this is only 1 game out of so many.... You seem desperate in jumping to conclusions.

This thread has problems with the recent interview that was made, than anything else tbh.

Great highlights from DF. This will probably be one of the Pro/1X comparisons that tells me if I need to hold off or not on the X.

Xombies now:

Checkerboarding is ok!!!

can you add to the ignore on mobile this is ridiculous lol

I am not an expert by any means, but this is how I understand it. Checkerboard 4k would be when half of the pixels are rendered in a 4k image in a checkerboard like fashion, while the remaining pixels are rendered using data from previous frames (or current frames and then extrapolating, I am not sure). Dynamic 4k could achieve a native resolution of 4k, but in demanding scenarios the resolution would lower to maintain performance. For example, in a light scenario the game could render at full 4k but in a heavy scenario, the game could drop resolution to 1080p which would then be upscaled to 4k.

That is what I was thinking, the confusion was DF saying AC was checkerboard 4k and then saying it was dynamic 4k, i didn't think it could be both? (probably me not reading the article correctly)

Luckydog

If that is "shitting on" then you need to check your level of sensitivity.

ESRB called, they want their ratings back :) .

So much salt......I guess the Forza thread couldnt contain your need to keep it real with MS. Keep up the good fight warrior....

Oh, and I wrote a sternly worded letter to the ESRB, they couldnt fit "mild language" on the little icon so I was outraged and so confused......

Chamber

love on your sleeve
If you thought One X was going to do native 4K with 3rd party game engines, I don't know what to tell you. That being said, full 2160p checkerboard with similar visuals to PC on high settings is pretty nice. I wouldn't even be opposed to next gen consoles using checkerboard rendering and continuing to put resources elsewhere.

Raide

Well, MS did give developers the option to do what they want with power, plus it's Alpha and before the next round of X1 SDK appears. Could get the bump up to full 4k but if it's less but more stable and better looking, do be it. Interested to see it when DF check it against the Pro etc.

EmiPrime

It looked stunning on the 4K HDR Mixer stream. 4K checkerboarding is the real deal folks, anyone with a PS4 Pro will tell you that. For a slow paced game like AC native 4K is probably not worth the overhead.

True 4Kinda

That said, there's nothing wrong with checkerboard 4K, it's just that it doesn't match MS 's PR, which promised a true "pixel purity " w/o compromises, and a gaming experience so far ahead of PS4 Pro that it plays in its own league.
We didn't see the Pro version yet, but the trend of pro upgrades usually lies with the game beibg 1800c with minimal to no increase in settings over base ps4.

They haven't showed the xbone version either, but following Richard's assumption that on base consoles it would be similar to Syndicate, 2160c and high pc settings would be a bigger jump than any Pro upgrade to date.

JP

It would be handled a little differently on either console, partly because the PS4 Pro actually has a custom hardware ID Buffer which is there specifically for checkerboard rendering.

I'm not sure if Microsoft has actually talked about how they're dealing with it on the hardware level. If they have, I'm sure somebody will link to it.

Gradly

"You just asked a question, i gave you the answer and you switch and start hamming about excuses, I thought you were not bothered?

I asked if they mentioned checkerboard technique in a prominent way cuz myself didn't hear it at all. Devs can do whatever they want is not an answer to that. And sorry cuz I thought ur defending them rather than just stating what they said

PlayStation marketed the pro as a 4k console, any talk of upscaling was always in *small print*.

From their own press release.

I pay attention and I watched the announcement keynote, just have a look at the left icon to tell you the 2 techniques used to achieve that 4k. That's the impression I got by them, clear and simple

GHG

Gold Member
So much salt......I guess the Forza thread couldnt contain your need to keep it real with MS. Keep up the good fight warrior....

Oh, and I wrote a sternly worded letter to the ESRB, they couldnt fit "mild language" on the little icon so I was outraged and so confused......

If you care to know, on the whole I'm actually pretty happy with what seems to be in store for the next Forza.

But seriously, if my posts are getting you all hot and bothered feel free to excersise your ignore list. I'd hate for you to have to read my salty warrior esque posts.

Top Bottom