• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Microsoft to unlock more GPU power for Xbox One developers

MichaelC

Banned
Gemüsepizza;84760745 said:
What is there to "try" about price and power?

Just like I wouldn't necessarily marry the woman who sells herself the best without also spending a lot time with her first. Same basic idea.

jcm

Compression? The water looks like night and day between the two shots. Lighting on the ship is slightly different, too.

Yes, compression. Also unsourced and unfinished. It's not a side by side comparison of anything. It's a screengrab of a video, and that's a terrible basis from which to draw any conclusions.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
No i don't think that being a fan of something necessarily makes someone a fanboy, I do understand preferences. I have them. But in an ideal world, people try things before liking or dismissing them.

fair enough. You do also realise that lots of people preorder games and systems because they've learned enough about them to feel comfortable making that purchase decision in advance?

Pain

Banned
So let me ask you this, do you find it normal that a lot of people have already made a decision without extensively trying either?
Not at all. All the info is out there. The choice is pretty easy IMO. especially of you game primarily on multiplats.

jaypah

People are just going to have to suck it up. Folks bring up Sony and 2006 as a fair point but fail to think it through. The price drop and good games turned Sony's favor around. If people are "rabble rabble Xbone sux" because of price/power then it's a done deal. It'll never get better here because Sony will more than likely remain cheaper and they will certainly remain more powerful.

Jack_AG

Banned
The Xbox One, as per all publicly available information, has a number of dedicated hardware units that I see devs getting better at making use of for their specific purposes over time. This isn't about secret sauce bs, which I'm pretty sure is where trolls want to take this one.

-- The 3 display planes, 2 of which I think are available to devs. They seem pretty helpful for dynamic resolutions and could possibly have interesting uses for LOD purpose.

-- The 4 move engines, 2 of which comes with hardware specifically designed for LZ decompression and compression. Beyond that they seem pretty crucial for better leveraging the system's ESRAM and saving bandwidth wherever possible, so this seems like one of the more obvious aspects of the Xbox One that devs will possibly become better at making use of as they get more experience with the system. 3 of these are directly available to developers, whereas one is reserved for use by the system and appears automatically managed through Direct3D helping with specific game operations.

-- The SHAPE audio block, something devs have full access to, is another thing I can see devs using better with time, especially since it can help by offloading from the CPU some processing requirements as it pertains to audio. The LZ compression and decompression hardware on the move engines are also something that can help the CPU.

So no matter how you look at it, this is a fair bit of dedicated hardware that's directly under the control of game developers. Common sense suggests that developers will become smarter about how they use these things over the life of the Xbox One. To think otherwise would be ludicrous, and this in no way suggests a belief in magical, secret sauce hardware. Fact is they're all in there and available to developers for a reason. Expecting Xbox One developers to have a full grasp on how best to use all of this on day one would be like expecting PS4 developers to make full use of the PS4's 8 ACEs and all that potential for Compute on day one. Beyond the customizations available on both machines, devs won't even have it all figured out on the best way to take advantage of the CPU, GPU and memory system of each machine. It just so happens that on the Xbox One in particular, one of the main customizations of the hardware seems especially crucial to getting the most out of the memory system. PS4 devs obviously have far less of a challenge in that regard, but it's a challenge that I think Xbox One devs will manage to easily come to grips with.

Oooooh I'll bite on this harder than a motherfucker!

Let's talk about "dedicated" hardware for a moment and see how it compares to "dedicated" software from my previous field of work: Audio Production. I'll go over my typical workflow when remixing or writing original music for labels as I used to do...

Launch Logic. Logic was always my bouncing platform of choice. It has an amazingly functional arrangement area that allows me to get to working fast but lacked a little bit on the creativity side - not easily allowing me to bounce ideas out quickly. So I would then launch...

Ableton Live. I would use a rewire protocol to route audio from Ableton to Logic since Logic was my primary authoring tool. Live allows me to quickly record "clips" and have them loop on the fly so I can create layers, at first. Edit clips, loop them, warp them and arrange them in some non-linear fashion to help me get my creative juices flowing. Now that I've got some great base material I would then proceed to work on the meat of the production, see where inspiration takes me by creating new or using pre-fab instruments from plugins... So I would then launch...

Plugins. Loves me some Komplete from NI. DAT FUGGIN REAKTOR. Love playing with it. Absynth is another great starting point and who doesn't love FM8? Of course, I might want to go with a signature sound found in another program so I then would launch...

Reason. Rewire that shit to Ableton which is rewired to Logic. Pop me up some THOR and Scream distortion and I'm on a fucking roll.

Now that I've got a lot worked out in my material using various plugins, instruments and clips with loops to roll through - I do a dry run in Ableton - all the while being controlled by Logic. Once I have what I feel is an exciting piece that tells a story - I begin to flesh the rest of it out in Logic.

I would re-arrange, edit, add more FX... wait... special effects. Cool thing-a-ma-noises... I'll need to bounce just this leg out and open up the waveform in Peak. Do some quick editing then import back into Logic.

Cool. That sounds awesome. Now that I feel my arrangement has the same level of excitement I had when I first started creating it - I'll need to mix, pre, then master. So then I load up...

Pro Tools. Import my stems and get to mixing to ensure the levels are great and nothing is fucking up my EQ turning shit into mud from conflicting freqs. I mix then move on to doing a pre-master. Then I might decide I like a quick 2nd EQ on the final track before bringing it for final master so I export the audio and pull that shit into Peak again. Bounce out - bring back in to Pro Tools, pull me up some Waves and run the final master before sending it out.

At no fucking point in authoring that piece did I ever say to myself "boy, I'm so glad I had to use all those pieces of software to get the job done".

No. No. No no no. That shit never fucking happens, bro.

In developing a videogame - there should be as much transparency as possible for developers to leverage a system's resources. At no point should they be made to jump through hoops to get the job done because "dedicated hardware" somehow makes up for the lack of brute fucking strength.

Give devs a platform then can just "use" as easily as possible to get the most out of their games.

diehard

Fleer
If only there was some way you could tell by those comparison screenshots that it is from a video, then go and watch said video to see just how bullshit they were..

but alas, i guess we will just have to stick to assuming dumb things for now.

On another Note do you guys think that because Kinect is no longer manditory that devs will decide not to use it in their games thus making MS eventually have the extra % of power used for the Kinect available for games... Of course it wouldn't be major boost but I'm curious if they would do so none the less

I don't think devs will feel the desire to utilize the kinect outside of pleasing MS (or getting money for it)

But still doubt MS will roll back the kinect GPU reservation anytime soon

Unfortunately

Just like I wouldn't necessarily marry the woman who sells herself the best without also spending a lot time with her first. Same basic idea.

But if said women spent months telling you "you're not allowed to play games anymore, I am not okay with it" but then you threatened to leave her and she capitulates you wouldn't consider her control freak behavior of the past in your decision making process?

Really?

We've spent months with MS's PR, specs, decision-making process

People are just going to have to suck it up. Folks bring up Sony and 2006 as a fair point but fail to think it through. The price drop and good games turned Sony's favor around. If people are "rabble rabble Xbone sux" because of price/power then it's a done deal. It'll never get better here because Sony will more than likely remain cheaper and they will certainly remain more powerful.

Why can't MS pull off what Sony did?

Drop the kinect, drop the price, they can make it cheaper than a PS4

Invest in games, give us good games

People are using XBO's "display panes" as a hardware advantage? LOL.

Since when is rendering the actual game in sub HD an advantage? The XBO is too weak to fully render games in 1080p and thus will resort to split resolutions - 1080p HUD, 900p or whatever for the game itself. The IQ of the game will invariably suffer. It's like putting paper over the cracks. There are no two ways to put it.

If there is one thing about SenjutsuSage, he sure is dedicated.

While I understand what you're trying to say, surely you know that depending on the game or not even PS4 can guarantee 1080p. XBO isn't "too weak" to render games at 1080p. It's more accurate to say XBO is too weak to render X game at 1080p with the fidelity they want. 1080p isn't some fixed of processing amount, there will always be a trade off between visual fidelity and resolution that's never going away and PS4 isn't exempt from it.

As for the display planes, they have their uses. Being able to render the HUD separately from the game goes a long way to helping not making an upscale game readily apparent. That and long gone are the days of shitty scaled HUDs! Also since the display planes can change resolution on a frame by frame basis, that too helps with framerates via dynamic resolution (think Wipeout).

With all that stated, PS4 also has display planes (Display scan engines), though only two and not much is known of their capabilities. I actually hoped Sony would go into details on them mostly because I want to know is it two that's available to developers, or is it only one. (I know what VGleaks states, but wanted to see if there was any clarification/changes on the matter.).

i-Lo

PS4

iblO6KlQdEGwqu.jpg

XBone

ipyT845bNLPks.jpg

I have seen the video and I must say that this doesn't paint a fair picture. While the water definitely looks more developed in terms of foam on PS4, what was shown on xbone in motion looked fantastic. How they turn out in the end will be interesting.

fallingdove

It's not about selling yourself better - the PS4 has more power for less money. Both systems are unproven with their games at this point so it is all about determining which console gives you more bang for your buck.

Lamptramp

And just when I was going to bite and jump into this ridiculous conversation. Don't think I'll bother now, thanks for saving me the bother.

So let me ask you this, do you find it normal that a lot of people have already made a decision without extensively trying either?

Hahaha, no?

I don't think you get how owning things works...

We have specs, we have games, we have ecosystems, we have brand loyalty, we have company trust, we have promises, we have reputation, we have impressions. That's what we all have to judge a product (console) by before release.

We don't have the luxury of extensively trying both. If everyone did that, no one would buy a single one. We'd all just be waiting around for someone to lend us both consoles so we could extensively try them both.

avaya

The funny thing is if you look at MichaelC's post history he seems to be all made up for buying a Bone...without trying it out thoroughly before hand.

MichaelC

Banned
The funny thing is if you look at MichaelC's post history he seems to be all made up for buying a Bone...without trying it out thoroughly before hand.

Im buying both. My only issue is which of my friends will be where and thus, which version of the game to buy. And trust me, its a lot more confusing than the specs.

Edit: Just joined and Ive already ignored 2 people. Thats a first.

I was going to post something similar but you saved me the trouble. Thank you. I don't even want to acknowledge this looney anymore. :p

What a meltdown of epic proportion it would be if SenjutsuSage was right all along...
That would be some delicious crow. I would be very happy if the XB1 performed above its specs, because then I would get to enjoy better games. Sadly, I doubt it will happen because I believe numbers don't lie (unless you're Penello.)

jaypah

Why can't MS pull off what Sony did?

Drop the kinect, drop the price, they can make it cheaper than a PS4.
They aren't going to drop Kinect. The console was built (gimped?) around Kinect. Then they'd have a box with all of the hardware sacrifices of their Kinect vision but no Kinect. No happening. Also, like I said, I don't ever see them being cheaper than Sony. MS would have to come off 100 bucks before Sony would even budge in a price shootout. And lastly PS4 will remain more powerful than the 180. Forever. So if all of the noise is because of price/performance then the noise is never going away and if you strongly back MS you will be annoyed, taunted and generally trolled for an entire generation that hasn't even started yet!

Anyway, that's why diehards are losing it. They see the smoke on the horizon.

JaggedSac

At no fucking point in authoring that piece did I ever say to myself "boy, I'm so glad I had to use all those pieces of software to get the job done".

No. No. No no no. That shit never fucking happens, bro.

In developing a videogame - there should be as much transparency as possible for developers to leverage a system's resources. At no point should they be made to jump through hoops to get the job done because "dedicated hardware" somehow makes up for the lack of brute fucking strength.

Give devs a platform then can just "use" as easily as possible to get the most out of their games.

The only hardware that will require devs to purposefully code for is the ESRAM, I doubt the DMAs have to be specifically interacted with. There will be code needed to ask for certain data to be in ESRAM and the DMAs will handle moving that in and out of there for the dev. Audio will be handled by their DirectX APIs. Display planes will have an API. Draw my gui to this plane, draw my game to this plane.

They aren't going to drop Kinect. The console was built (gimped?) around Kinect. Then they'd have a box with all of the hardware sacrifices of their Kinect vision but no Kinect. No happening. Also, like I said, I don't ever see them being cheaper than Sony. MS would have to come off 100 bucks before Sony would even budge in a price shootout. And lastly PS4 will remain more powerful than the 180. Forever. So if all of the noise is because of price/performance then the noise is never going away and if you strongly back MS you will be annoyed, taunted and generally trolled for an entire generation that hasn't even started yet!

I do think the trolling or whatever you want to call it will likely continue throughout the generation as you're right the XB1 will be weaker the entire generation and if they won't drop the kinect most expensive

But I guess I have hope they drop the mandatory kinect?

Maybe you're right though as that does compromise MS's original vision even more than the DRM reversal I imagine

No i don't think that being a fan of something necessarily makes someone a fanboy, I do understand preferences. I have them. But in an ideal world, people try things before liking or dismissing them.

Why do we keep talking about this subject, again and again?
Let's look at the ps3 unveiling/launch:
- $499/599 crazyness
- ps3 chalkboard (game x will save ps3!)
- ps3 has no games meme
- giant enemy crabs meme
- it was all cg!
- and a lot more stuff that happened
- harder to program for

Now think about what has happened with microsoft this year:
- $499 price
- power of the cloud, 600% more AI, stuff like that
- titanfall meme
- online check, no used games policies
- kinect/tv main focus on unveiling
- PR blunders
- and some more stuff too
- supposedly harder to program for

What you're witnessing right now, whether you like it or not, is microsoft being in the same place sony was back then. Notice how I didn't even go into hardware specs, because I think that's mostly irrelevant, in the grand scheme of things.
Like CliffyB said in the GAF documentary, "when they like your work they'll carry you through the streets like any diehard gamer would, but the second you release a product they don't like they'll be the first to tar and feather you". It's not something that only happens in neogaf, it's how gamers are, for better or for worse.
Gamers rejected sony's initial approach to ps3, and they are rejecting microsoft's initial approach to the xbox one.

spannicus

- $499/599 crazyness
- ps3 has no games meme
- giant enemy crabs meme
- it was all cg!
- harder to program for

- $499 price
- titanfall meme
- PR blunders

What you're witnessing right now, whether you like it or not, is microsoft being in the same place sony was back then. Notice how I didn't even go into hardware specs, because I think that's mostly irrelevant, in the grand scheme of things.
Like CliffyB said in the GAF documentary, "when they like your work they'll carry you through the streets like any diehard gamer would, but the second you release a product they don't like they'll be the first to tar and feather you". It's not something that only happens in neogaf, it's how gamers are, for better or for worse.
Gamers rejected sony's initial approach to ps3, and they are rejecting microsoft's initial approach to the xbox one.

Great post.

It's still a bunch of hate for a product that most people have not even tried yet nor have the ability to purchase. The simple fact that most people in here have already made a decision regarding two products that have not even been released yet says a lot about the people.

Yea it says that they are smart consumers. If they don't like one companies policies over the other of course they are gonna buy the one that they do agree with.

Edit: And this goes beyond policies too, people want to get the best money for their value no matter what. Not everyone has enough money to buy both consoles, so they will buy the one that they like the best or that they think is the best.

Elios83

I think they are already considering the possibility of being forced to drop Kinect and they are preparing accordingly, we have already seen the hardware requirement of Kinect always connected going away.
Microsoft has clearly invested a lot in Kinect and they're going to try all their options before dropping it, it won't be an easy decision as they are deeply involved in it.....but if this console becomes a flop for the first 6 months on the market, if even Titanfall bundles at 500$ fail to sell this thing in big numbers....what else they can do?
It's better to lose the investements on Kinect than losing the investements done on the whole platform and ending up with a WiiU/Vita. The market has become really unforgiving these days because there are lot of options. The available time to make a comeback is basically restricted to the first year on the market.
I'm sure than internally they are definetly considering to drop the Kinect and price match the PS4 if sales are very disappointing.

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
Ahh, and there it is again.

Yup.

This thread is even more hilarious than the last. I for one hope these pieces continue to come out because I don't know what I'd read when I'm on the shitter. edit- stupid phone

Honestly surprised the thread title hasn't been changed yet though. It is woefully devoid of a certain key fact

Foghorn Leghorn

Unconfirmed Member
I really want Sony to release the specs for the PS4 HDD. I would rather have a 1TB drive ready for launch than have to replace it in a month and have to download everything again. If they are using 7200rpm drives, an upgrade will be out of the question though until 1TB 7200rpm 2.5" drives are more common.

I was just checking newegg and they have a hitachi 1TB 7200 for 89.00 and it has 4 stars. I wonder when Sony will release more hdd info, I want to replace day one also.

comparison to PS4:

-also has 2 display panes available to devs' no need for third as not using snap
-doesn't need move engines, doesn't have esram bandaid.
-shape if mainly for kinect, PS4 also has an audio chip

Please stop labelling these things as something to close the performance gap, they don't.

Your first point isn't really true at all. One plane is for the OS and the other is for the developer, and PS4 would benefit from one regardless if doesn't have snap. Having a display plane slaved to the OS means in game XMB and it's overlayss can be at a different resolution (as in your TV's native resolution even if the game it self is less than your TV's resolution) than the game itself.

SHAPE isn't mainly for Kinect, The entire Audio block is mainly for Kinect. SHAPE is but a small budget of that audio block. Unfortunately it seems many people have conflated SHAPE with the entire audio block, blame MS for giving one portion of their audio block a name and not the other. Then again this is the same company who never saw "Xbone" catching on.

PS4 doesn't truly have an "audio chip" More like an audio encoder/decoder, since mixing and filtering still has to be done on the CPU ala Xbox 360 and vast majority of PCs.

xaosslug

great post, and this especially is the gist of things.

It's still a bunch of hate for a product that most people have not even tried yet nor have the ability to purchase. The simple fact that most people in here have already made a decision regarding two products that have not even been released yet says a lot about the people.
No. There is plenty of info to make an informed decision.

And on the flipside, If most people in here had a fair and unbiased opinion as to why they picked the PS4 to begin with he wouldn't feel the need to do so.

Most people in here lately hate on everything Xbox one simply because it's Microsoft. To hate an unreleased product this much is not normal.

Dude they've done this to themselves. They've been taking the game lovers that made them successful for granted the past couple of years.

MichaelC

Banned
Yea it says that they are smart consumers. If they don't like one companies policies over the other of course they are gonna buy the one that they do agree with.

Edit: And this goes beyond policies too, people want to get the best money for their value no matter what. Not everyone has enough money to buy both consoles, so they will buy the one that they like the best or that they think is the best.

You know what, I wish it was as easy as decision for me as it seems to be for most people in here. I like too many franshises on both consoles to part with either one. That, and most of my friends list will probably now be 50-50. It's going to become a the pain in the ass for me honestly.

Tabular

Banned

What your saying is only partly true. Lots of people have tried PS4 and given their impressions. People start by becoming interested in something based on available info and then read reviews, watch preview videos, hear impressions from controllers, consider the price, etc. If the system comes out and doesn't live up to the buyers initial interest that changes things but don't criticize an opinion someone forms when there are already tons of ways to predict if something is good.

SHADES

- $499/599 crazyness
- ps3 has no games meme
- giant enemy crabs meme
- it was all cg!
- harder to program for

- $499 price
- titanfall meme
- PR blunders

Nail/head/coffin/thread!

Bravo

But try what? The only thing you can try before buying a console is the controller.

Edit: if I wanna buy a sports car and my two choices are an overpriced KIA and a cheaper corvette I'm not even gonna consider the KIA

commedieu

Banned
Nail/head/coffin/thread!

Bravo

Whats wrong with people acknowledging all of this, is what is lost on me. Nothing wrong with admitting that MS started this gen poorly.

I just hate to see people pretending that none of this happened, that its just gaf being mean & sony fanboys.

Most in media/tech news/blogs has the same commentary. But when it happens on gaf, its gafers picking on MS.

weird that.

velociraptor

There is no way you can say such a thing.
That post was made in the context of the display planes.

However, there is evidence which suggest reaching 1080p might be problematic for the Xbox. It's GPU has a limited number of ROPS (16) and 32mb of ESRAM might not be enough to sustain this resolution.

Now I understand developers will choose a resolution to their own liking to match their own visual vision. But I think that's a stupid approach. IQ forms a huge part of graphics. I couldn't care less if your game has the most advanced lighting system on the planet. If it looks like a blurry, low res jaggy mess on my TV, it's just going to hurt the experience.

This is why I think 1080p should be a priority. The higher the resolution, the better. That's a fact. It's why COD Ghosts (despite being vastly inferior technically) looks better than BF4 (on consoles) in some ways!

Top Bottom