• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] New Scorpio Spec Leak: ESRAM Gone, GPU Features Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
if they sell this at $399 they will get quite a few enthusiasts

obviously not nearly enough to turn the fortune of the xbo but maybe enough to flip usa at least

$499 and it's dead out the gate (even though that would be decent value for money but so was the ps3 at launch as well)

Koobion

I mean, I assume Scorpio will have the better looking exclusives as long as studios put in the work to optimize their code for two separate architectures. It shouldn't be that hard as my guess is that whatever ends up being on the Scorpio will be similar to what is delivered on PC, just a bit more fine-tuned.

Third parties will be hit or miss as it has been with Sony and the Pro.

I think this comes down to the studios themselves really. Naughty Dog is always putting out games that impress the hell out of everyone, even enthusiast PC gamers. Uncharted 4 is a contender for the most graphically impressive game at the moment, even above PC titles with all the power in the world to work with.

GPU = 220% increase
RAM = 0% increase or 6,5% ( not sure how much ram is reserved for the os on xbox)
Bandwith = 220% increase (not counting ESRAM bandwith for XB1)
CPU = 20% increase
Thanks. So.. we have...

Scorpio over XB1
GPU = 360% increase
RAM = 50% increase
Bandwith = 370% increase (- whatever ESRAM did)
CPU = we don't know shit about it yet

Ps4 Pro over XB1
GPU = 220% increase
RAM = 0% increase or 6,5% ( not sure how much ram is reserved for the os on xbox)
Bandwith = 220% increase (not counting ESRAM bandwith for XB1)
CPU = 20% increase

wapplew

What's the point of 4.5X more powerful when all you get is Xbox one game 4K remaster?
Stop with this half gen bullshit.

Metfanant

this will not sit well with some...but its in line with what anyone thinking rationally has thought for awhile...the fact that MS is actively advocating for half res effects, and checkerboard rendering, just highlights the fact that we are not going to get some kind of groundbreaking performance here...

To be honest this is quite a bit more powerful than the PS4 Pro.

of course it is...but, when you look at it, its as "more powerful" than the Pro, as the PS4 was vs the Xbone...it WONT have games that look generationally better than the Pro. it will have more native 4k games, it will probably perform better than the pro in like for like situations, but if it really doesnt have an upgraded CPU tech, and DF really seems to think it wont...i just dont see it doing anything to upset the balance of the generation

Jumeira

Banned
I wonder now which platform will have the better looking exclusives?

Scorpio will be the most powerful, but its games must run on the Xbox One as well as target native 4k most likely (Microsoft seems to be pushing this hard for its first party games)

PS4 Pro is not as powerful as Scorpio, but the base PS4 is more powerful than the Xbox One so it's not held back as much I guess? Sony also hasn't made any kind of aspirations for native 4k so I feel there won't be as much of a stigma for using checkerboarding rendering to allow more eye candy

will be interesting to see how it plays out

It's not hard to work out, Scorpio will look superior. DF article is all guess work, we won't know by how much until they give us something concrete.

If these rumored specs are true then the Scorpio will be exactly what I was expecting. A slightly more powerful Pro which is what spencer told us at E3. It seems all the fanboys that were expecting a a true nextgen beast of a machine are going to be disappointed. I honestly don't know how they expected MS to release a true nextgen machine so early and price it at a level that's competitive with Sony without taking a monumental loss. MS is still a business afterall, the XBox division needs to make some money back. They can't go out fulfilling every fanboy wet dream because it will mean they will keep burning money which isn't good for them. I think they are making a wise decision. Sure Sony beat them to the punch again but at least we'll be getting a much more capable Xbox and resolution won't be a thing that brings shame again to the Xbox brand.

c0de

I wonder now which platform will have the better looking exclusives?

Scorpio will be the most powerful, but its games must run on the Xbox One as well as target native 4k most likely (Microsoft seems to be pushing this hard for its first party games)

PS4 Pro is not as powerful as Scorpio, but the base PS4 is more powerful than the Xbox One so it's not held back as much I guess? Sony also hasn't made any kind of aspirations for native 4k so I feel there won't be as much of a stigma for using checkerboarding rendering to allow more eye candy

will be interesting to see how it plays out

Like last gen, you will never get a definite answer to that.

daveo42

Banned
I think this comes down to the studios themselves really. Naughty Dog is always putting out games that impress the hell out of everyone, even enthusiast PC gamers. Uncharted 4 is a contender for the most graphically impressive game at the moment, even above PC titles with all the power in the world to work with.

I mean yeah, that's what I said.

Breakage

In hindsight, Sony's more muted, low-key reveal and launch of the PS4 Pro made sense. The Pro is just an upgraded PS4 - it's the same platform. The slick official Scorpio video, constant references to monster tech specs makes Scorpio sound like a next generation console when all it really is (going by what MS suggest) is an upgraded Xbox One. It's still just going to play Xbox One games and nothing else.

I'm not sure about that.

If MS hadn't announced Scorpio back at E3, then they definitely got out maneuvered. But announcing it a year and a half early really dampened the excitement for the Pro. I'd probably have a Pro if Scorpio wasn't announced.

I'm in this boat but if it's not that much better than a Pro then what is the point of getting a Scorpio, outside of being an Xbox enthusiast? Sony's first party/exclusive output has been and is looking far superior this gen. Especially as it will be more expensive than the pro.

shandy706

It is laughable since you'd be buying it at the end of 2017.

It sounds good, but not $500 good in late 2017.
And no "enthusiast" in their right mind is going to spend $600-1000 on a 6TF GPU in 2017 when you can buy equivalent card(s) or much better ones for much cheaper now. That cost range vs HW for a late 2017 console is nowhere near $500 good.

Please point me towards the other console at equal or greater capability I'm going to buy this year?

The PS4 Pro wasn't enough to push me from the PS4. The Scorpio probably isn't going to push me because I have a gaming PC.

Most "gamers" don't have gaming PCs. If I was an "enthusiast" who couldn't care less about gaming PCs....it's as good as it gets. What else will let me play 4k games, 4k Blu-Rays, and supports high end VR, plus puts my fancy new 4k TV to use in 2017 for $400-$500?

(speaking from a consumer standpoint there and how I think MS will market it)

I think you guys are being hard headed about it just to be hard headed.

Having said that, I'd still prefer a $399 price tag. I'm not sure what to expect though.

Acinixys

Which would be a no buy for me, both 'pro' variants are lackluster if true

Im going to buy a Switch instead

I was holding out for a Pro or Scorpio, but the gains are so small I cant justify the purchase when I already have a PC that can run everything at above console settings

Kolx

So basically a shitty upgrade like the pro is. MS should at least try not to have a shitty reveal like the pro did.

Koobion

It's exactly what they announced last year from a leak dated from last year, but with more doom and gloom for some reason.

It's more doom and gloom because people had unrealistic expectations. It's likely that CPU constraints are still going to be the a Achilles heel by all logical accounts.

For those with realistic expectations, it's exciting to have a much more powerful machine that will probably be very reasonably priced for the performance you get. It's pretty cool IMO.

geordiemp

Where were you slightly more powerful people at when the XB1 was getting roasted everyday? Maybe you could have talked some sense into people before we went dozens of pages on foliage differences in GTA5 and other moments of pure fuckery.

Still here, sub 1080p looks like shit. I moved 360 to Ps4 due to this, could easily move back, I have NO loyalty !

However, once you 1800p or 2160p or whatever on my 55 inch living room layout it really is I just cant see the damn difference anymore.

Hell, I would argue supersampled 1080p on my second TV looks the dogs bollocks and the 4K tv is only slightly better when freezing picture..

Most on the ps4 pro thread like me were begging for Witcher 3 at 60 FPS which would need an I5 class CPU. We are not getting one by the looks of it.

Which is fine, Scorpio will be good, but wont RUN games much better than Ps4 pro, roll on Ps5 / Xb2. Run and render mean different things.

IC5

Faster doesn't automatically mean lower latency, which ESRAM excels at. Like Richard mentioned in the video, it's kinda strange to see not mention about latency of ESRAM vs new RAM setup.
Modern GPUs have highly parallel pipelines. Bandwidth is favored over latency. The big deal about the ESRAM is that the bandwidth would help hide the low bandwidth forbthe remaining shared RAM on the Xbone. The low latency was sorta just gravy. Mismanage the ESRAM, and you lose your bandwidth and take a huge latency hit, as the system swaps to the slower stuff. It wasn't a good design. Although Xbone kinda wasn't gas enough overall, for the worst cases scenarios to actually matter much.

PS4's GDDR5 is higher latency. But, it has a lot of bandwidth and there is a lot of the RAM. So no memory management issue, like with the small ESRAM.

High bandwidth is also generally good, for multi-threaded CPU code. Some instances can favor latency. But Jaguar isn't fast enough for that to matter much. And bandwidth is generally king, anyway.
PS4 also has an extra bus to allow simultaneous memory access for the CPU and GPU. So that removes a lot of latency, by design. Less wait states, flushes, and less need for redundant data. I'm sure Scorpion will do that, too.

What would really be neat, is if Intel played ball. A 2.5-2.9 ghz pentium dual core kaby lake, stripped of Intel GPU and hyper threading, on custom silicon, could probably come in at the magic 30w or less. And it would beat the poop out of Jaguar. Even though only dual core.

It would be pricey. But selling 15 million or more, could make the pricing manageable.

ViciousDS

Banned
I seriously was expecting a new generation after the shit show of the original xbox one and Microsoft possibly wanting to rid themselves of it. But it looks like we have to wait for awhile longer before the true successor.

This bolds real well for 1080p users though as it seems both the Pro and Xbox Scorpio should have that as a minimum and 900p and lower should be gone

Fisty

Oh man the meltdowns if Jaguar...

MS says gens are over, so it's going to be half-steps every 4 years? Not sure if that's the wisest move

Microsoft wants to revitalize the sagging Xbox brand though. No chance in hell they'll price it above 399 when PS4 Pro launched at 399 a year before and will be on the verge of a price cut.

I agree, but I don't see why price was originally mentioned in the way that they did if they were going with that price point.

if they sell this at $399 they will get quite a few enthusiasts

obviously not nearly enough to turn the fortune of the xbo but maybe enough to flip usa at least

$499 and it's dead out the gate (even though that would be decent value for money but so was the ps3 at launch as well)

Jumping in because I feel like this sentiment is shared far too often. Microsoft had incredibly lofty goals for Xbox One at launch, and they didn't hit those goals. However, it's still outpacing the Xbox 360 which is absolutely fantastic considering most though the console market was dying/dead. They most likely do not expect Xbox to suddenly outpace PS4 lifetime sales, nor do they need it to IMO.

Xbox is now a platform rather than just one piece of hardware and we all need to adjust our expectations accordingly. Some people act like Xbox One is at or just below the performance of the Wii-U. The success of their competition is not the sole driving factor for their own internal metrics.

Why?
Because the machine IS capable of 4k?

Because! Everyone knows that "true 4K" has a certain definition as per the president of video games. It's definitely not a buzzword and Microsoft should be held accountable for lying to their consumers!

Jumeira

Banned
In hindsight, Sony's more muted, low-key reveal and launch of the PS4 Pro made sense. The Pro is just an upgraded PS4 - it's the same platform. The slick official Scorpio video, constant references to monster tech specs makes Scorpio sound like a next generation console when all it really is (going by what MS suggest) is an upgraded Xbox One. It's still just going to play Xbox One games and nothing else.

X1 doest play VR games, I believe Scorpio will. We honestly have very little idea what they have in store, feels like it'll be more than an upgraded X1, they wouldn't have waited more than a year for it to be 'just' more powerful X1. Phil also said he expected huge upgrade, not half steps, why an upgraded X1 is.

The Jaguar CPU is very bad news for people who were hoping for 60 FPS in most titles. I think at this point the difference between the PS4 pro and the Scorpio will be similar to the difference between the regular PS4 and the XO, might be a bit smaller because of diminishing returns, but anyone expecting mind blowing visuals will be disappointed.

longdi

Banned
The thing with Scorpio, is not its specs but how MS seems lost with what they want it to be.

6 months ago at E3, MS flip flopped between developers can use Scorpio anyway they want, to no Scorpio exclusive games.

Have they really gone balls to walls with big specs and blur the lines? This latest leak seems to say they have not, but going with the safe but Sony route?

See this Eurogamer interview with Phil last year, he droned away with his usual feel good PR yet dodged 2 easy questions.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-15-xbox-boss-phil-spencer-the-big-interview

EG: Given the power of the Scorpio, should it be considered a refresh of the Xbox One, or are we looking at, actually, the next-generation of what you are doing in terms of console? Is that actually the fair assessment of it?

PS: drone drone drone...something about forward and backward compatible....drone drone.. And we'll have launch Scorpio games as well that are playable on an Xbox One, Xbox One S and Scorpio and look great on all three of them
So what is a Scorpio 'launch game'? XB1 games can play on Scorpio, Scorpio can play XB1 games. What about future Scorpio games?

EG: With Scorpio you're introducing the idea of people playing online together and against each other in competitive multiplayer, one person perhaps on Scorpio and one on Xbox One. If the Scorpio enables such things as better framerate, won't that give the Scorpio user a competitive advantage in certain games?

PS: drone drone drone...something about a game at 1080p/60, needs to be 60 if developers do 4K.
So what about 1080p/30? Will Scorpio makes it 1080p/60 for the competitive advantage?

Chris1

So does this mean 900P xbox one games will be 4K in Scorpio or do we not know yet?

Hmm. I think the "true 4K" part is what people are going to call Phil and MS out for lying if things stand as it is.

Well, all MS first party games will be native 4K.

You know what Phil's response is going to be?

"Xbox Scorpio is capable of true 4K gaming as seen in our first party studios, it's up to other developers how they use that power. If you want true 4K gaming on those games you will have to speak to them."

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Some people with the unrealistic expectations...its the same downfall of Pro and unrealistic expectations there. Wait for PS5 or Xbox Scorpio 2 if you want a true blowout of a system that takes full advantage of its power through software.

Some people with the unrealistic expectations...its the same downfall of Pro and unrealistic expectations there. Wait for PS5 or Xbox Scorpio 2 if you want a true blowout of a system that takes full advantage of its power through software.

Even then tho, im sure MS will keep up with the 'everything will work' even with next gen. Only difference is that console will have some exclusives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom