• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] New Scorpio Spec Leak: ESRAM Gone, GPU Features Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mash83

I was really expecting a significant difference between the Scorpio and the Pro so this is dissapointing to hear. I held off on getting a S this past holiday. I guess it would be smart to wait until the holiday season again for the deep XB1 S discounts.

Chris1

It doesn't matter. I mean come on, so was the pro, but it didn't stop anyone from making a fuss about it. People are going to say crazy things in any situation tbh.

I think the difference is not all Sony first party games are native 4K whereas MS will be, so all MS has to do is pass the buck onto the devs and it takes the heat off Xbox almost completely. Kinda like with BC.

rtrbad

Banned
I guess it should be expected that the extra power is just going to be used to give a slight bump to the smoothness and perhaps a slight bump to visuals on existing XBoxOne games like PS4Pro.

That they aren't going to ever have their own libraries makes buying the system, for all but those who MUST HAVE THE MOST POWAH but haven't just moved to PC, redundant and wasteful.

I know there are suckers out there that can't wait to drop an extra $500 on this thing, or $400 on the PS4Pro (plus $400 for VR, Plus $50 for the camera. Wow, that setup is close to $1000). Some of those same people probably think that the switch is overpriced.

icespide

Banned
Some people with the unrealistic expectations...its the same downfall of Pro and unrealistic expectations there. Wait for PS5 or Xbox Scorpio 2 if you want a true blowout of a system that takes full advantage of its power through software.

won't we just be in the same situation but with Pro and Scorpio as the base?

LordOfChaos

The Jaguar CPU is very bad news for people who were hoping for 60 FPS in most titles. I think at this point the difference between the PS4 pro and the Scorpio will be similar to the difference between the regular PS4 and the XO, might be a bit smaller because of diminishing returns, but anyone expecting mind blowing visuals will be disappointed.

I would lean in the direction of it'll probably be smaller. 900p to 1080p is noticeable, 1800p to 2000p or so both using checkerboard rendering to hit 4K will almost certainly be less so, for the sheer increases in resolution alone.

I.e 720p to 900p is very noticeable, 900p is a minor step back from 1080p.

WadeitOut

People should have learned that mid upgrades would be the new thing the second both major consoles announced they were using x86 chips.

Jumping in because I feel like this sentiment is shared far too often. Microsoft had incredibly lofty goals for Xbox One at launch, and they didn't hit those goals. However, it's still outpacing the Xbox 360 which is absolutely fantastic considering most though the console market was dying/dead. They most likely do not expect Xbox to suddenly outpace PS4 lifetime sales, nor do they need it to IMO.

i mostly agree with you though it will start to fall far behind 360 soon as nothing they have coming will be able to match the renewed interest the 360 got from the kinect

while i do think ms have reasonable expectations many of their fans do not

What's the point of 4.5X more powerful when all you get is Xbox one game 4K remaster?
Stop with this half gen bullshit.
The point is 4k. Not sure what is hard to miss about that. There is a notable difference in playing on OG vs Pro in games that support 4k on a 4k TV.

There is a notable difference between OG and Pro when supersampling on 1080p screen.

There is a notable difference in games that support higher resolutions in PSVR between OG and Pro.

It's an enthusiast device. You don't have to buy it. It won't devalue your current system. It's for people who want to see a bit more oomph come sooner rather than later. It's nice for devs If the next consoles beyond Scorpio and Pro stick to the same architecture and evolve tools over rebuilding from the ground up.

It's fine to have Scorpio and Pro exist. Especially when it's an unneeded device you don't have to buy. It's an option for those that want it.

I'm fine with it. You don't have to buy it and at current it will not affect the OG versions of One and 4.

Gradly

Have you read any of their statements, interviews, podcasts, forum thread topics, twitter comments etc etc in the 7 months after that announcement trailer was made?

I don't think it's a good thing to reveal things if you are not sure and you may change the initial message/promises up until the release. I'm sure Microsoft were confident about the major features of Scorpio and that's why they did the reveal

We have no indication that there won't be native 4k games. Not even sure what you're going on about.

Ofc there will be. PS4 Pro has some games in 4K but the message was always about checkerboard (or other techniques) to deliver 4K. They never stated true native 4K and as a customer I expected what to get from the initial announcement. Scorpio was all about true 4K gaming though

Aceofspades

Banned
To be honest this is quite a bit more powerful than the PS4 Pro.

It should be more powerful when you release a year later, but the power difference is not as big as some tried to believe. PS4 to X1 difference ( whether you find the difference big or not is another issue) not the generational difference some posters were touting earlier.

EvB

Because! Everyone knows that "true 4K" has a certain definition as per the president of video games. It's definitely not a buzzword and Microsoft should be held accountable for lying to their consumers!

What definition?
Natively rendering games with 4k of resolution?
Because it can do that, just as the PS4 Pro can

We need a Supply Chain expert to analyze the cost of the ram.

Currently Microsoft is buying big quantities of 8 GB GDDR3 ram + 32 mb ES ram for Xbox One S and the fat model in the past.

But with the Scorpio they are launching with 12 GB GDDR5 ram in smaller quantities which equals a higher price.

If you compare this to Sony with PS4 and PS4 Pro they are using the same 8 GB GDDR5 ram so costs are cheaper.

Stranya

I'm not really a techie, but it seems the current gen, and Pro - and maybe Scorpio? - are held back by their CPU. Or am I wrong?

Why don't they improve the CPU more?

(I appreciate there may be very obvious answers to this.)

Scorpio to PS4 Pro is probably going to be like PS4 to Xbox One. Some people are disappointed, but if you're an Xbox only gamer you should be very excited at that huge performance increase.

dose

Scorpio was always advertised as a machine that could run Xbox one games in 4k, or for VR.
MS specifically said that there would be no exclusive titles for Scorpio, so when VR comes out we should expect it to work on the original Xbone too.

I'll buy it for better 4k performance but they won't boost Xbox sales with this.

Thats what Neogaf said about the xbox one S. No one would buy it.

Scorpio to PS4 Pro is probably going to be like PS4 to Xbox One. Some people are disappointed, but if you're an Xbox only gamer you should be very excited at that huge performance increase.

Exactly, im just excited to see the next halo running on this.

It should be more powerful when you release a year later, but the power difference is not as big as some tried to believe. PS4 to X1 difference ( whether you find the difference big or not is another issue) not the generational difference some posters were touting earlier.

I don't disagree that its not a "massive" difference or a generational one. People that were thinking that were setting themselves up for disappointment.

Also the power gap shouldn't be downplayed though, we will likely see some games running pretty damn great on it.

geordiemp

I'm not really a techie, but it seems the current gen, and Pro - and maybe Scorpio? - are held back by their CPU. Or am I wrong?

Because the next step for AMD CPU is 2018 when Zen for APU / notebooks will be on the table, hence why Pro and scorpio are nice haves, but they will only render higher not run games much better !......

We have to wait for a console that can run Witcher 3 or Bloodborne or (insert hard to run game) at 60 FPS.

Wedzi

Banned
Was hoping this would be more of a generational leap in terms of power but in reality I'm more interested in the future implications of what Scorpio means in terms of console upgrades. Like if the version Gears of War 4 on Scorpio is just the Windows store version, does that mean that Xbox 2021 or whatever will be able to run Gears 4 better like future PCs can?

Duxxy3

Because of heat and AMD making crap CPU's.

Kayant

project-scorpio.jpg

I think you know why they added the word "true" before 4K gaming, and furthermore, I think you know that's the primary reason people are saying if this information turns out to be true then Microsoft presented a misleading pitch for their upcoming product.

Unless of course, we're moving goal posts now and checkerboard rendering is true 4K gaming. If that's the case then I as well as others are 100% wrong in saying Microsoft looks like they lied again.
Good point. In the end it will be misleading as most bullet points like this tend to be because they don't account for edge cases being 3rd parties are free to do what they want and we will definitely be getting non native 4K games from them. First party wise they have already committed to native 4K for all first party "launch window" games.

Stranya

Because the next step for AMD CPU is 2018 when Zen for APU will be on the table, hence why Pro and scoprio are nice haves, but we have to wait for a console that can run Witcher 3 or Bloodborne or (insert hard to run game) at 60 FPS.
Thanks for the informative reply! I assume that AMD are the only realistic option because Intel are cost-prohibitive?

Kaako

Felium Defensor
MS specifically said that there would be no exclusive titles for Scorpio, so when VR comes out we should expect it to work on the original Xbone too.
Wut lol.

Edit:
Considering Sony still believes in traditional generations, no.

Pro lives and dies with PS4 support.

To begin with, Pro is not strong enough to be a 'base' for anything. Its just an iteration of PS4 with the same CPU and RAM configuration, with a particularly bandwidth weakness holding it back from anything beyond higher resolutions and better graphics.
Yup, how I see it as well. Sony isn't treating Pro as base for PS5.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
won't we just be in the same situation but with Pro and Scorpio as the base?

Considering Sony still believes in traditional generations, no.

Pro lives and dies with PS4 support.

To begin with, Pro is not strong enough to be a 'base' for anything. Its just an iteration of PS4 with the same CPU and RAM configuration, with a particularly egregious bandwidth weakness holding it back from anything beyond higher resolutions and better graphics.

Its not enough to start a new generation with, only provide a marginally better PS4 experience, as it was intended.

I honestly don't know why people were expecting a next gen beast. You guys need to keep your expectations and hype in check. The runaway hype trains on GAF is starting to be a problem.

Breakage

X1 doest play VR games, I believe Scorpio will. We honestly have very little idea what they have in store, feels like it'll be more than an upgraded X1, they wouldn't have waited more than a year for it to be 'just' more powerful X1. Phil also said he expected huge upgrade, not half steps, why an upgraded X1 is.

Ok let's say Scorpio will do VR, again that's only going to appeal to a limited group of people. Let's also not forget that Microsoft are positioning Scorpio as a premium product unlike the PS4 Pro.
A full 4KTV + VR + Scorpio setup is only going to appeal to a minority because of the amount of money it will cost.
If it's going to be more than just an upgraded Xbox One then they'd have to go down the Scorpio-only games route i.e. experiences that can only be had on the Scorpio. A few graphical enhancements to existing XB1 games isn't going to compel the masses to rush out and pick up a Scorpio.
I watched the MS Scorpio vid again today and I just thought what's the point of boasting about all these powerful components when all they'll be used for is to make console games for 2013 platform look and run better.

geordiemp

Thanks for the informative reply! I assume that AMD are the only realistic option because Intel are cost-prohibitive?

Yes, Intel are megabucks.

You now up to speed on the realistic vs disappointing vs wont run games much better arguments. Its all about the CPU now.

I personally cant wait for an I5 class console and 60 FPS gaming. Once you above 1080p on a 55 inch set, its really squint the eyes time (I have a 55 inch 4 K and Ps4 pro).

Head.spawn

I don't think it's a good thing to reveal things if you are not sure and you may change the initial message/promises up until the release. I'm sure Microsoft were confident about the major features of Scorpio and that's why they did the reveal

Any chance at a non-vague, possibly specific response? I've asked several questions.

The machine is capable of 4k60fps and is likely to launch... with 4k60fps games.

What is the major feature that they announced, that suddenly isn't in this reading of their specs... which is exactly what they announced, that you're referring to?

Unless you take things out of context for whatever silly reason; nothing has changed since it was announced. Like, Sony avatar guy on previous page, rather obvious why he'd take things out of context.

If you find a fault in that statement, possibly be more specific.

You have an Xbox One?

Nikodemos

It's literally impossible.

Sony jumped through a ton of hoops and did a bunch of visual downgrades to make their version of VR (which is less resource-intensive compared to Rift/Vive) run on the base PS4, and that's a more powerful machine than the regular Xbone.

VR mode for Xbox titles will be exclusive to the Xbox One Ultra (or whatever they'll call it).

shandy706

Are you sure your not letting Sony have a 40% advantage yet Albert? Funny how you guys all show up when you want to.

You should not let people freak out and then disappoint them.

Seriously?

I imagine you have reached out to marketing and other members within xbox planning to see if any statement can be provided to remedy expectations for these outdated white papers. :p

OR you're pulling out your hair because GAF FIGURED IT ALL OUT.

The papers show the system is most likely the EXACT 6TF system they said it would be.

He sure is quick to come back after they have an advantage.

Why wouldn't he?

Who wouldn't in fact?

Guymelef

Are you sure your not letting Sony have a 40% advantage yet Albert? Funny how you guys all show up when you want to.

You should not let people freak out and then disappoint them.

I remember the combo Penello-Major Nelson here before XBO launch to "calm the waters" with lies and then they gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom