• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry : Should you install The Witcher 3's day one patch ( XO version )

Glomby

Seems weird to try dynamic resolution but not lock the framerate. Other games that use dynamic res drop the resolution when the framerate is at risk at dropping below the target, but here there is no consistent baseline, it just wobbles between 30-40fps. Perhaps the res is dropping whenever it is below 60fps, which is everywhere in the game except the title screen.

That's what I'm saying it's not jus weird it simply makes no sense. An unlocked framerate will negate any dynamic resolution solution. That's how it works, you can't have both and therefor it has to be a bug.

Yep, just tried The Witcher 3 on Xbox One.... and I had to quit in the beginning of the game. Cannot stand the constant persistent stuttering. I would not be able to play the game like that, nor would I want to ruin the experience because of it. It sucks, but looks like I'm waiting for a patch.

Juanfp

Now that I have play more the amount of stutters have reduce a lot, but I not sure if was because I got use to them or they really reduce.

chadskin

PS4 update:
UPDATE 19/5/15 14:03: We've now had the opportunity to test the 1.01 patch on PlayStation 4, and can report that the FMV stuttering issue introduced in the Xbox One day one patch is much less of an issue on the Sony platform - video playback is much more consistent. Engine visual settings appear to be a match between the two consoles but curiously, the PS4 version does appear to run with a capped 30fps, giving a more consistent update than its Xbox One counterpart. We can also confirm native 1080p resolution throughout. We'll have head-to-head performance tests online as soon as possible.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-should-you-install-the-witcher-3-day-one-patch

cgcg

Some strong denials in here. The fact the game jumps constantly between 30 to 40 means there's ahuge amount of stuttering, complete opposite of smooth.

I suddenly realize we could have had this awesome dynamic 1080P scaling on the last generation consoles also at no performance cost, we always wanted 1080P and it was right there for the grabs .

Teletraan1

Banned
I'm not saying they weren't there, but I didn't notice any stuttering or frame-pacing issues in Bloodborne and I've played through to NG+. It will be interesting to see if I have the same experience with TW3.

Some people notice it a lot more than others. It bothers the shit out of me and actually destroys my enjoyment of the games that have it. I seriously wish I didn't notice it. It is more of a curse than anything. I hope they issue a patch for those it does bother.

On fixed hardware there is no excuse for it. Period.

ps3ud0

Probably because the game is maintaining 30-37 fps at 900p there probably isn't any overhead to go above it really. We have to wait for the full DF analysis to see. But really the res is not dynamic it is almost always 900p except for specific indoor areas. Either their dynamic res programming is broken or they consider the cutscenes changing res to be dynamic.
Not really what I meant, even if it wasnt dynamic it still makes sense to reduce the upscale required to one axis rather than two. Im perplexed why they choose 900p when some variant of 1080p (1440x1080?) would have been a similar pixel count and likely better IQ. Maybe their AA solution counteracts that?
Confirms blimblims findings - just need a middle east version of him so they can get the games retail quicker ;)

ps3ud0 8)

oOTw1w9.gif

I have a sneaking suspicion that the DF comparison analysis will get a little heated.

jett

D-Member
Seems like PS4 is the best version. Going by the hideous judder I'm getting on the PC version, I guess it's better than the one I got too. :p

Gurish

Yep. It runs terribly on PS4 from what I've read so far as well. Considering the fact that they're still working to improve the framerate on Day One, makes me wonder if the game was even finished in the first place. But it's year 2015. This is the norm today. XD
No it's not, in fact it runs better than any previous gen open world game, for consoles standards it runs great, maybe not 30 locked like WD but very good and almost 30 locked, and it looks so much better than WD with a much bigger scope so at the end it's a great technical achievement for CDP on PS4.

thelastword

Banned
Which games are struggling to stay at 30 fps, 900P resolution? Maybe a rushed to launch game such as Dead Rising 3 sure. You even said "many games" which ones are they?
Ryse, Dead Rising 3 720p, Watch Dogs (lower than 900p again), Evil Within (about 900p with bars/mattes). Then we have more recent titles that are basically in the 900p ballpark give or take a few pixels. That is Far Cry 4 and Dying Light. I'm pretty sure we'll see the xbone struggle more with 30fps games as the developers push the envelope a little more, especially when they shed those cross gen roots entirely.

As for dynamic framerate, the games I consider to have a true dynamic resolution are; Wipeout HD, Rage and Wolfenstein. I think it makes more sense to implement the feature if you can maintain the optimum resolution+framerate at least 90% of the time. Wipeout HD and Wolfenstein are native 1080p at least 99% of the time on the PS3/4, so in these instances, if the developer never wants the game to drop from 60fps due to some heavy scenes or unforeseen dynamic explosions or other game scenarios, it's a very good implementation in that respect.

I just don't see how implementing a dynamic resolution to hit 1080p 1% of all your game time makes sense, it's a waste of effort and has no impact on how the player perceives the game. The game is essentially 900p on xbone, the way I see it, more effort should have gone into optimizing the 900p as much as possible for a better locked 30.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
Can someone answer these questions for me, I’m trying to dig through a thread but it’s hard when there are so many concerned posts xD .

• Was it MS or CDPR who brought up the dynamic resolution?
  • If it was CDPR why are people acting like MS did it, or if it was MS why are some jumping at CDPRs throat?
  • NX Gamer mentioned that he thought it was running at a resolution above 900p but below 1080p at times (in game) in his 1st contact video however had not done any pixel counting, was he wrong? Digital Foundry mentioned that indoors the resolution changed also, correct?
  • Can some explain how the HUD is 1080p but the game is 900p? The idea of a crisp HUB appeals to me, is this the norm? Have other games run the HUD at one resolution and the game at another (it’s not something I’ve thought of before tbh).
  • Does anyone truly believe that the XB1 version will be patched to be locked to 30 fps, you would think they would have if they could (I hope they can)?
  • Anyone else find it strange that the dynamic res is 900p – 1080p rather than 1080(pr) – 1080p like CODA:W and Wolfie, would be better to scale in on direction only, right?
I haven't managed to play the game yet and wont be able to when I get home as my loving wife has booked us to see not 1 but 2 houses after work... oh joy!

nib95

Banned
I'm pretty sure reports have shown the fps doesn't drop below 30, though.

Not in any of the early testing. We don't know about how it'll fare in more heated areas with lots of enemies, spells and draw distances. My guess is both versions will suffer fairly rare drops, but it's still looking good overall. Good to know the PS4 version is capped. Hopefully they do the same with the Xbox One version, for those that prefer it.

TraBuch

Banned
I don't care how juddery the game is on whatever console, I recently played through New Vegas on the PS3. Now, I can play through anything.

Some strong denials in here. The fact the game jumps constantly between 30 to 40 means there's ahuge amount of stuttering, complete opposite of smooth.

Does anyone actually prefer an unlocked juddery framerate or is there just a large percentage that doesn't notice it?

I honestly don't notice it.

I don't care how juddery the game is on whatever console, I recently played through New Vegas on the PS3. Now, I can play through anything.

I platinumed Skyrim on PS3. The poor performance in that game I did notice.

Noobcraft

can frame pacing / stutter exist if the framerate is capped?
Yes. Bloodborne is a good example as it holds it's 30 fps pretty well but judders like crazy at times because the frame times are off.

It's not as simple as locking it in at 30 fps, but that would definitely help in the case of the Witcher 3.

spinours7.gif

This one really feels like 1080pr.

This is mesmerizing and also spot on.

Can someone answer these questions for me, I’m trying to dig through a thread but it’s hard when there are so many concerned posts xD .

• If it was CDPR why are people acting like MS did it, or if it was MS why are some jumping at CDPRs throat?
  • NX Gamer mentioned that he thought it was running at a resolution above 900p but below 1080p at times (in game) in his 1st contact video however had not done any pixel counting, was he wrong? Digital Foundry mentioned that indoors the resolution changed also, correct?
  • Can some explain how the HUD is 1080p but the game is 900p? The idea of a crisp HUB appeals to me, is this the norm? Have other games run the HUD at one resolution and the game at another (it’s not something I’ve thought of before tbh).
  • Does anyone truly believe that the XB1 version will be patched to be locked to 30 fps, you would think they would have if they could (I hope they can)?
  • Anyone else find it strange that the dynamic res is 900p – 1080p rather than 1080(pr) – 1080p like CODA:W and Wolfie, would be better to scale in on direction only, right?
I haven't managed to play the game yet and wont be able to when I get home as my loving wife has booked us to see not 1 but 2 houses after work... oh joy!

1. We don't know, but given that we know MS told Blizzard that 900p on Diablo III was unacceptable it isn't much of a leap to suggest they were the force behind this whole "dynamic resolution" fiasco.

2. See above

3. DF said it looked like it was higher than 900p, but definitely not 1080p. We don't have more info than this.

4. No clue

5. Not locked, capped. Capped to stop the 40 - 30 fps fluctuation that causes stuttering. It could still dip below 30 if things get crazy on screen, but the maximum fps will be 30.

6. No clue

omonimo

Banned
If you leave fps uncapped you can improve a bit the lower fps level. It's not that absurd. Ubisoft used the same trick on AC in the past. What surprising you exactly? You are too much sensible everytime something of 'negative' appears about the xbone multiplat. I don't see any other valid reason to leave xbone uncapped and ps4 not.

Wizman23

Banned
Playing this game on the X1 last night after reading this thread, I cannot help but feel a disconnect between my experience and the words posted by some.

For me, the game is enjoyable and pretty. I would not wait until patch X comes out to enjoy this game.

Same experience for me. Game runs fantastic on XB1

leeh

1) CDPR stated it in their patch notes. Whether it was pressured by MS for that, we don't know. Like said, with the example from Diablo, it seems likely that MS asked.

2) I don't understand why people are going crazy about this. Even if it doesn't go to 1080p often, its a progression which is highly welcome and should be by everyone. Even if it was pressured by MS, what's the problem? It means we get a better IQ in some instances.

3) From looking at the screenshots in the console thread, it's 900p from the screenshots in there. I can't wait to play it later, so I haven't seen anything around indoors yet.

4) The modern consoles have 2 display planes (think the X1 has 3 due to it's OS requirements). This means that there's multiple canvases for the final image, and can be rendered at different resolutions, but then scaled to create the final image. This has happened on a couple of 1st party games: SO and Ryse. I'm also pretty sure COD and FC4 do this with the HUD's between dynamic scaling on the platform.

5) There's no reason why they can't do this, and they should, and hopefully will.

6) I find it weird also. I much prefer the horizontal scaling rather than scaling on both axis. I'm presuming this wasn't performed due to time implications it would of had.

c0de

If you leave fps uncapped you can improve a bit the lower fps level. It's not that absurd. Ubisoft used the same trick on AC in the past. What surprising you exactly? You are too much sensible everytime something of 'negative' appears about the xbone multiplat. I don't see any other valid reason to leave xbone uncapped and ps4 not.

I honestly couldn't parse what you wrote/meant.
And your first sentence shows a major misunderstanding like yesterday. How would make a game running uncapped enable you to improve lower fps? I am sensible when people talk about tech and are wrong with what they are saying. Your opinion is based on “I don't see any other reason“ but it should be based on something different.

mike4001_

The stuttering during cutscenes can only but a plain bug.

Hopefully they fix this in 1.02

Also add a 30 fps cap

Then everyone on Xbox One should have a smooth 30 fps locked experience.

If their "dynamic 1080p" really is broken or just PR waits to be seen.

c0de

The stuttering during cutscenes can only but a plain bug.

Hopefully they fix this in 1.02

Also add a 30 fps cap

Then everyone on Xbox One should have a smooth 30 fps locked experience.

If their "dynamic 1080p" really is broken or just PR waits to be seen.

Well, I agree. These are two separate things: fps uncapped and thus stuttering is obviously bad and should be fixed asap.
Resolution is a different story as there apparently is no dynamic scaling happening but preset resolution from case to case. Is this going to be fixed? Unknown. Can we expect a “real“ dynamic resolution? Unlikely.

omonimo

Banned
I honestly couldn't parse what you wrote/meant.
And your first sentence shows a major misunderstanding like yesterday. How would make a game running uncapped enable you to improve lower fps? I am sensible when people talk about tech and are wrong with what they are saying. Your opinion is based on “I don't see any other reason“ but it should be based on something different.
When fps it's uncapped it improve a bit the lower fps level. That's what I said. What exactly is wrong? Have you have ever tried on PC setting?
Of course I could wrong but why leave xbone uncapped then?

c0de

When fps it's uncapped it improve a bit the lower fps level. That's what I said. What exactly is wrong?

How is there any relation between upper and lower boandaries whether or not fps is capped? Fps is a measurement of “load“ on the engine, giving us a direct relation of how many ms needs the engine to render an image. How does this change when running a game with fps uncapped? The load to the engine is the same.

Synless

So with this PS4 update are the same technical downgrades applied as seen in the Xbox One version? I don't see it mentioned in the quoted portion.

Not in the case of the xbone, the xbone struggles to hit a solid framerate in many games at a locked 900p, I don't see how a dynamic resolution helps it there at all. With that being said, it's the very reason that all attempts of dynamic resolution on the xbone has been bullshit thusfar. It was bullshit in COD-AW and it's bullshit here as well.

I noticed you neglected to mention how well dynamic resolution works in Wolfenstein TNO.

Maybe because it doesn't match the narrative you're going for here?

Top Bottom