• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Z: Extreme Butoden (3DS) - Western release confirmed (October 20th)

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Really enjoying this so far! Fighting system seems really deep yet combos aren't too difficult. Love how there's such an insane cast of characters too.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Got my confirmation on shipment from Amazon today. The two DLC codes came in two separate e-mails.

12167943_10153706488421465_330881692_n.jpg

Why couldn't they just localize the bottom screen? I love imports to death, but the bottom screen would have been nice. I ended up resetting my game because I didn't know what they did at first. Nintendo should put all the games on VC. The GBA games would be great too.

I enjoyed Arc System's fighters on PS2. I was hoping they'd get it right for DBZ fans.

Revven

No online MP?
Might wait for a sale then. I get bored with fighters pretty quick.

Apparently, there's a V-Jump scan going around saying they're going to patch in an online mode along with a new character (though it's not known if the character is an assist or playable).

Not sure how accurate it is as I've only found one search result on Google about it... can't post here as it's obviously a scan.

Who knows when it will drop and it's not confirmed for US/EU yet but I'd imagine there is zero reason why they wouldn't patch all the versions of the game with it. This makes me much happier with my purchase if the online mode comes within the next month or so.

HyperHip

Apparently, there's a V-Jump scan going around saying they're going to patch in an online mode along with a new character (though it's not known if the character is an assist or playable).

Not sure how accurate it is as I've only found one search result on Google about it... can't post here as it's obviously a scan.

Just seen said scan, god is real!

JKTrix

It's gonna be a while before I get the game itself, but I got my Super Butoden 2 code from Amazon already. Nostalgia bomb. It was the first Japanese language game I played many many years ago.

Seik

Banned
It's gonna be a while before I get the game itself, but I got my Super Butoden 2 code from Amazon already. Nostalgia bomb. It was the first Japanese language game I played many many years ago.

Same here...

I'm really hyped for this, can't wait to see more of it...watching some competitive fights make me think it may be one of the most solid DBZ fighting games we've had in years.

Who knows when it will drop and it's not confirmed for US/EU yet but I'd imagine there is zero reason why they wouldn't patch all the versions of the game with it. This makes me much happier with my purchase if the online mode comes within the next month or so.
They just recently patched in Training Mode for the JP release along with a few new assists, so I imagine whatever updates they make will be available for every region.

It's the first one that I'm aware of.

Cool that they're doing this though, I remember a few people saying they'd pass on this for lack of online before.

Pretty amazing that they're doing this. They need to confirm this for the US/EU version too and give us a date so I know when I can give them money.

alcheim

The game looks great and the animation and sprites are awesome. Beam struggles and other effects are done well.

I've just finished the first story mode set, but for some reason, the fighting system isn't as (for lack of a better term) dynamic as ASW other 2d fighters.

Perhaps it's because all the characters I've used so far have the same command inputs for their moves. (I haven't tried all the other characters yet aside from the initial story mode characters and Bardock).

TreIII

It's still very good, but...the changed music just makes it not the same.

Plagiarized or no, the original Butoden series had a lot of great tracks.

I don't know if it's just the default difficulty or the way the game is designed but good god, the first story mode was super easy.

Kinda wish I had spent this money on the Xenoverse DLC instead.

Gorgeous looking game, though.

I don't know if it's just the default difficulty or the way the game is designed but good god, the first story mode was super easy.

Kinda wish I had spent this money on the Xenoverse DLC instead.

Gorgeous looking game, though.
The Adventure Mode gets pretty difficult the farther you get into it.

Malreyn

Got mine yesterday and got right into SB2 to see how it compared to how I remembered when I played my friends import copy as a kid. The complete change of music ruins the nostalgia sadly

Ricky 7

If online really is getting patched in someone should make a new thread. No online put quite a few people off so maybe this'll make them interested again.

If online really is getting patched in someone should make a new thread. No online put quite a few people off so maybe this'll make them interested again.
I decided to grab a copy + Legend of Legacy. It is not local, so had to get it shipped.

Figures the single player cannot be that bad though.
I hope at least.

Piccoro

When this game was announced I was actually considering purchasing a 3DS just because of this game. But when I saw that it didn't have online (and the altered soundtrack in Butoden 2) I decided not to buy it.

But now that it has online, I will get it.
Someone should make a new thread, for sure.

Skelter

Banned
Will this be the first 3ds game that patched in Online?

Nah, Fantasy Life actually was the first I think? Can't remember if it was patched or included with the Fantasy Life Link! DLC in Japan. However, in the west the ga,e was released with the online already.

So this game really is getting online? I'll definitely pick it up if so.

pikablu

I was able to talk with Amazon chat yesterday and get a code for super buotoden 2 this morning after purchasing it. last night (day of release).

So the reception seems mostly positive so far?

Online patch would be great if it's not just a rumor.

I was able to talk with Amazon chat yesterday and get a code for super buotoden 2 this morning after purchasing it. last night (day of release).

Sorry for being late to the train, but what's buoteden 2? Is it just the sequel? Do you get the a preorder for the sequel included when you buy the first one or something?

Shauni

Sorry for being late to the train, but what's buoteden 2? Is it just the sequel? Do you get the a preorder for the sequel included when you buy the first one or something?

Super Butoden 2 is a SNES title. By pre-ordering via Amazon you could get it in NA (not sure about Europe). It's totally unlocalized, though, no text or VO in English outside the title and maybe a few other things that were English already in the original version.

Super Butoden 2 is a SNES title. By pre-ordering via Amazon you could get it in NA (not sure about Europe). It's totally unlocalized, though, no text or VO in English outside the title and maybe a few other things that were English already in the original version.

Ah thanks!

My brother's a huge DBZ fan, and I wanna pick this up for him but the reviews seem kinda mixed so far. Is it mostly cause of no online? If that's the case, it's not really an issue for us. But I'd regret getting this if it has shallow, or repetitive gameplay or if the roster is disappointing and small. :S

NeonZ

Ah thanks!

My brother's a huge DBZ fan, and I wanna pick this up for him but the reviews seem kinda mixed so far. Is it mostly cause of no online? If that's the case, it's not really an issue for us. But I'd regret getting this if it has shallow, or repetitive gameplay or if the roster is disappointing and small. :S

The roster of playable characters is actually rather small compared to recent console DBZ games. The missing forms and a large selection of characters, from Dragonball to GT, including the movies up to Revival F, appear as assist/striker helpers though. This is the playable roster:

Goku
Goku (Super Saiyan)
Goku (SSG)
Goku (SSGSS)
Gohan (Kid)
Gohan (Kid/SS2)
Gohan (Unleashed)
Gohan (Teen/SS)
Vegeta
Vegeta (Super Saiyan)
Bardock
Trunks (Future/S. Saiyan)
Gotenks (S. Saiyan)
Krillin
Piccolo
Raditz
Nappa
Ginyu
Frieza (Final Form)
Android 18
Cell (Perfect Form)
Majin Buu
Kid Buu
Beerus
Broly

The roster of playable characters is actually rather small compared to recent console DBZ games. The missing forms and a large selection of characters, from Dragonball to GT, including the movies up to Revival F, appear as assist/striker helpers though. This is the playable roster:

Eh that's not too bad of a roster.

How are you guys liking the gameplay?

This is the most fun I've had with a DBZ ever. I know it's not going to be for everyone, but it's exactly what I've wanted.

The art style is something I hope they went back to since Hyper Dimension. I've always wanted to go back to 2-D fighters as I've never been able to thoroughly enjoy the 3D combat for the bigger games. Either the game was aesthetically unappealing or the controls were too clunky to ever enjoy.

The music is actually exciting to listen to. The soundtrack in Dragonball games have always been the weakest IMO. It never feels to captures the old-school Draognball Z feel and sometimes come across "cartoony" for the tone of the series. A shame licensing issues will never get us "We Gotta Power" but this OST will do for sure.

Yea, the roster of playable characters is a bit slim, but all the support characters that you REALLY end up using heavily because of the scoring system, look amazing. SSJ4 Goku has never looked so badass in a game. I find myself getting disappointed when I forget to use the assists just because they look so cool.

The gameplay is confusing at first because you'll probably try to play it like a traditional fighter, but once you understand it it's engaging. Balance can be all over the place with some assists, but it's forgivable because it's clearly casual. At least to me.

I like this game a lot and I hope we get more characters/assists. Hoping for SSJ4 Gohan in the Heroes collaboration.

kunonabi

What sucks is you need to S-Rank missions to unlock toons.

I thought the story mode was boring and tedious as it was but having to get ranks for all the assists is even worse. I may just get the characters I like and skip the rest.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
How do you even S-Rank these missions? I keep trying but only get As. Do you seriously have to not get hit once for the perfect?

You guys like combos?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgUJHvfA8KA

Pretty good channel, and covers almost the entire cast.

Sweet and yeah, it's fun to do combos in this game! Even though everybody has the same commands, their moves are plenty different from each other(same characters like same movesets and different L button specials) that they don't feel the same at all. Hope they patch in the modes in the overseas versions too because it really needs a training and online mode.

The sprites are amazing, definitely the best DBZ sprites I've seen in a game. The whole cast looks amazing and animate well too, Arc System Works definitely did a great job in capturing the characters! I really hope a lot of the assist characters join in if there's ever a sequel.

How do you even S-Rank these missions? I keep trying but only get As. Do you seriously have to not get hit once for the perfect?
Yeah, tell me about it haha. I don't think I've gotten any S-Rank on any fighting missions besides the talking ones and some of them is when I don't get even hit at all. Seems like they really want you to do the long supers as well as getting perfects I guess.

Starting playing this a lot more today (Had the JP version before, but stopped playing a while back), and as fun as it is, I hope the online patch balances a few characters too, because Bardock has a hilarious infinite combo with easy execution that can be started with a single hit from him.

It's like some MSH Wolverine type shit, lol.

kunonabi

The only way I've been able to do it is to get perfects and do an ultimate combo at some point in the match. As long as you don't take too long and fulfill the mission requirement you'll get the S. Well, except for those times when it randomly doesn't and you have to do it again for no reason. It's gets really irritating later on when enemies don't have cool downs for their supports.

I make sure to bring a character that refills life if I get hit as well.

kunonabi

Done unlocking everything. I'm never touching those single player modes again.

Turns out getting S-ranks is easier if you equip items. There's one that refills health and one that gives back health while hitting an opponent. I suggest buying and equipping those as early as possible.

Top Bottom