• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge previews 40 hours of Final Fantasy XV

mjc

Curious what those second half spoilers are, but I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get this game so I'll hold off.

It can't be worse than FFXIII.

Edit: NVM, read the spoilers. Not bothered really.

Whats with all these outlets trying to spoil this game. With all the coverage it keeps getting you could know the entire story w/o playing.

There also seems to be an abundance of mechanics that are tied to specific regions and parts of the game that don't carry over once you leave ultimately making them feel unfinished. Chocobo stats don't seem to carry over from region to region and certain gameplay options like Cid's weapon customization all but vanish once you've left one location.

Yikes, different game systems/mechanics that are.. locked? or region specific sounds absurdly horrifying. As a player, I prefer to build on consistency, if this game were put into my lap and I played it I am not sure how these different regional systems mechanics would be alluring to me. But having some itemization and stats of certain creatures become invalid when crossing to another region. Like, how does one feel like they're actually progressing or building strength if that sense of item/equipment strengthening is lost when they go to explore? Exploring and a sense of wonder are important to me too. As is feeling accomplished in having good gear to fall back on.

Just my 2 cents.

Uh, okay. It says "late" in the game. From the other thread, I was under the impression that it was the second half of the game. This doesn't sound like that big of a deal. Typically near the end of something the story will play out in a more linear fashion. But we still don't know just how much "late" in the game actually means. It could be a few hours or 30 minutes. Kneejerking doesn't seem sensible at this juncture.

mjc

Uh, okay. It says "late" in the game. From the other thread, I was under the impression that it was the second half of the game. This doesn't sound like that big of a deal. Typically near the end of something the story will play out in a more linear fashion. But we still don't know just how much "late" in the game actually means. It could be a few hours or 30 minutes. Kneejerking doesn't seem sensible at this juncture.

I kinda get that sense too. It seems like this article isn't written clearly enough to convey it's message. Interesting.

I'm ok with this. Some of my favorite RPGs, final fantasy VI and Xenogears had a very linear second half. Still a flaw, but I'll live with it.

The fact that you can travel back in time is sweet though.

Simo

Yikes, different game systems/mechanics that are.. locked? or region specific sounds absurdly horrifying. As a player, I prefer to build on consistency, if this game were put into my lap and I played it I am not sure how these different regional systems mechanics would be alluring to me. But having some itemization and stats of certain creatures become invalid when crossing to another region. Like, how does one feel like they're actually progressing or building strength if that sense of item/equipment strengthening is lost when they go to explore? Exploring and a sense of wonder are important to me too. As is feeling accomplished in having good gear to fall back on.

Just my 2 cents.

Yeah. This was what was posted in the other thread going into detail about the Chocobos:
On Chocobos:
Chocobos can be hired for up to seven days. Summoning one is as easy as blowing on a Chocobo whistle. Chocobos move quickly off road but you'll still rely on the Regalia to cover greater distances. Your bird accrues experience points when riding it and will level up automatically, increasing stamina and infusing it with the ability and will to join battles. Eventually you'll be able to name, colour the feathers of and pin medals on your steed. And yet it never comes together as a rounded component. As soon as you've taken part in a couple of races, you're whisked off to another city and the Chocobos are gone.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
"The elevation of supporting characters is designed to appeal to fans but it's been done at the expense of a strong plot."

Japanese developers suck this generation.

But Japanese devs have had many of the best games this gen in Bloodborne, Bayonetta, tons of Nintendo games

Kathian

Banned
This sounds to me more like distinct 'acts'. As long as theres a Mass Effect style warning I don't really see a major issue.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
...A Final Fantasy that plays more like a typical Final Fantasy is a thing you don't want in your Final Fantasy.

Anyway the XV Cycle is already starting strong in this thread, time to abandon
I love it when
Japanese style stealth/horror
is shoved into my JPRGs. God forbid someone voice concern over a game you're excited for.

Just my 2 cents.

I think if there's a good storyline reason to leave mechanics behind, for example Chocobos are really important to gameplay in the countryside but have no place at all on the city (I'm making up an example, EDIT: Sounds like the Chocobos example is actually real, ha), that's perfectly fine with me. Could even create some interesting changes of pace throughout.

But upgrades disappearing? If you character basically loses what you've put into them from region to region, that's really disappointing. It destroys the sense of progression JRPGs provide.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
...A Final Fantasy that plays more like a typical Final Fantasy is a thing you don't want in your Final Fantasy.

Anyway the XV Cycle is already starting strong in this thread, time to abandon

I want that but I guess I'll forever have to settle for bravely default.

Sylas

Just my 2 cents.

I'm not sure what you're getting at? From the sound of things you don't lose your characters items or strength when you change regions. If you get stronger, you'll still have all of your equipment and levels when you go back to another area. I can almost promise you that you'll need to do that for some of the hunts and side quests.

As for regional mechanics... there's not a ton of information about what that actually means in tota. Chocobo stuff not rolling over makes some amount of sense, but do we know if a chocobo has region-specific uses? Like some can run across water in a water-heavy area, others can climb mountainous areas better, and then maybe there's a whole system dedicated to getting the "right" chocobo that does everything! Do you get to keep the chocobo stuff when you return to a region?

Cid's stuff just makes it sound like you have to go back to do it which is... duh?

The vagueness of the preview is frustrating.

Ray Down

Banned
I think if there's a good storyline reason to leave mechanics behind, for example Chocobos are really important to gameplay in the countryside but have no place at all on the city (I'm making up an example), that's perfectly fine with me. Could even create some interesting changes of pace throughout.

But upgrades disappearing?
If you character basically loses what you've put into them from region to region, that's really disappointing. It destroys the sense of progression JRPGs provide.

You can just fast travel back to Cid to upgrade weapons.

Arkeband

Banned
Yeah. This was what was posted in the other thread going into detail about the Chocobos:

That structure almost sounds like they approached the game as a series of smaller games, like they created a bunch of Episode Duscae's and loosely connected them.

Which would make a lot of sense based on what we know about the development.

I kinda get that sense too. It seems like this article isn't written clearly enough to convey it's message. Interesting.

I definitely don't want to write it off either way and I'm sure the complaints are valid. Previewing, reviewing games is tricky because they're tackled a bit differently. Casual players don't have deadlines or have to write up huge articles about what they're playing, which I imagine can make things chore-ish and even give a reviewer a slightly different mindset. They're important, but I read them to get some information and not really for the "verdict" aspect as I disagree with critics all the time when it comes to the overall quality of something, even if I agree with core criticisms.

And then you have games that review well but seemingly everyone else hated, like Final Fantasy XIII.

2nd half sounds super strange but I'll wait on reviews

Well, "late game" not the entire second half of it. I was under this impression too at first, but re-reading has cooled me down about it.

You can just fast travel back to Cid to upgrade weapons.

So they don't mean "the customizations disappear," they meant the "character who you go to for customizations disappear." But you can go back to see them in actuality.

That's good for that part the, even of it feels disjointed.

Jesus christ this thread.

eLX3NQn.gif

My heart can't take this temptation against my media blackout policy.

Ralemont

not me
I don't see anything about upgrades disappearing. He's saying that Cid's machine weapon upgrade system isn't carried over to new areas, ie you'll have to go back to him to upgrade (or, once you reach a certain point he'll run out of upgrades).

Sylas

More on this please?

I actually LOVE this... I usually get bored by open world before I can finish whatever game it is... but if this game switches to linear at some point, this is absolutely PERFECT.

We don't have any more info on the Cid stuff as far as I know. It's a lot of assumptions at this point.

Preach!

Hating on Edge for not being well-articulated is *looks at thesaurus* uproarious!
A lot of it is vague though. Hence all the questions. Not necessarily the guys fault since writing about a 40 hour game is daunting as hell, but the article isn't articulate.

I actually LOVE this... I usually get bored by open world before I can finish whatever game it is... but if this game switches to linear at some point, this is absolutely PERFECT.

Should also help alleviate the open world problem of "We need to save the world like right now, but first there's about 50 side quest markers on my map".

I mean, the option to do side quests will still be there, but it won't be as obvious.

More on this please?

From what I understand, basically, only Cid can upgrade them and he is located in the first region... so, you have to backtrack...

martino

it seems this patchwork game will need to have big pressure from square for unhonest review if they want to limit presale damage

I don't see anything about upgrades disappearing. He's saying that Cid's machine weapon upgrade system isn't carried over to new areas, ie you'll have to go back to him to upgrade (or, once you reach a certain point he'll run out of upgrades).
What well that seems to be in line with any other game. Of course eventually you're going to run out of upgrades. I guess the bad part is he's the only one that upgrades for u so you have to continually go back? Meh not too much of a problem

Arkeband

Banned
More on this please?

It also says
"working alone"
, which implies it gets more linear in a variety of ways.

Ploid 3.0

!!! Second half spoilers !!!
"The creative pressures and arguments that have coloured Final Fantasy XV's development are most evident in the second half, where it almost switches geenre, away from the open world desidn of the The Witcher 3, which was an influence on the current team, to a much more traditional linear series of cutscenes and dungeons. Late in the game, a network of cramped corridors, stockrooms and baffling barracks feels like a hangover from another game entirely. Here, Noctis, working alone, must duck into doorways in order to hide from the stalking, haunted guards. The stealth is delivered in a horror style, complete with jump scares, a disembodied, Joker-like voiceover, and Resident Evil-style key-card puzzles."

Update:
To make clear the distinction between the two halves of the game, if you want to return to the open-world area you'll need to travel 'back in time' when at a save point. Once there, you can mop up any unresolved side-missions, until you're ready to return to the present.

And with that, I'm in doubt again. I don't like this type of stuff. Just yesterday after watching videos talking about big epic boss fights that may be in the game, the likes of FFXII end game hunts, I was nearly at "go ahead and preorder this." With this info, it feels like there's no point in those fights if I have do what the spoiler says. Reminds me of FF13 with it's taste of freedom then back to the normal (I haven't played it, but I have watched the transition and back).

Back to a long game of wait and see how people like it after a ton of time with it, and hopefully even replays. I do still like that they said that there's no shortage of things to do, so for a gift I will be ok with giving someone the game on that, but for me I have a lot of games where I still like doing random things. Still need to finish up Dragon Age DLC even, for all 3 games.

I believe other previews mentioned the shift in tone and pacing between the first and second half's of the game. All in all we will have to wait and see when the game comes out whether the shift is done well or not. I personally see nothing wrong with it if it is executed properly.

Top Bottom