• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge previews 40 hours of Final Fantasy XV

I actually LOVE this... I usually get bored by open world before I can finish whatever game it is... but if this game switches to linear at some point, this is absolutely PERFECT.

My thoughts exactly. Doesn't mean it'll be handled well (hopefully it is!) but at the very least it'll change things up a little toward the end. I doubt I'll see it much differently from your typical focused narrative climaxes; the last few hours of any game and not just RPG's are usually very straightforward and "linear." The Witcher 3? Huge open world game, but even that gets on a tight forward motion in the last few hours. Same for Blood and Wine.

My heart can't take this temptation against my media blackout policy.

It doesn't really reveal too much. It may give you an idea of the game's structure toward the end, but there's no plot spoilers.

So much silly hyperbole in here.

This and The Last Guardian will be under far more scrutiny than most games due to their development histories.

Ray Down

Banned
I believe other previews mentioned the shift in tone and pacing between the first and second half's of the game. All in all we will have to wait and see when the game comes out whether the shift is done well or not. I personally see nothing wrong with it if it is executed properly.

Pretty sure this has been the only preview to get to the "Second half"

Sylas

And with that, I'm in doubt again. I don't like this type of stuff. Just yesterday after watching videos talking about big epic boss fights that may be in the game, the likes of FFXII end game hunts, I was nearly at "go ahead and preorder this." With this info, it feels like there's no point in those fights if I have do what the spoiler says. Reminds me of FF13 with it's taste of freedom then back to the normal (I haven't played it, but I have watched the transition and back).

We don't know if your items and such carry over from the bit you mention--which is another question! There have always been super bosses that are pointless in FF games but can we carry stuff forward after
going back
?

Arex

uh.. sounds slightly concerning lol

I just hope the ratio of 1st vs 2nd half is like 80:20 or 90:10 or something; but it's probably 50:50 huh :(

And I'm still hoping for great variation of areas to explore.. hopefully they will deliver

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I've seen scans from the article. Sounds...really really bad in the end.
And I knew that the lack of female characters would be damaging, as the article put it.

I'm still Day One. But the game sounds like a bit of a bust.
Clothes that you can buy are all worse than the default outfits so there's no point. Options like modifying weapons with Cid are introduced and discarded permanently almost as soon as they arrives. Chocobo racing lasts only a few races, then it's gone forever

Really horrible? I mean, it's a bit worrying, but 'really horrible'?

Really, really bad

I just hope the ratio of 1st vs 2nd half is like 90:10 or something; but it's probably 50:50 huh :(

It says "late game." Doesn't sound 50/50.

It kind of sounds like the game starts to become more and more linear during the second half, but not entirely, and not until much later does it get really condensed.

ChazGW7

Its insane how easily impressionable GAF can be sometimes...

GAF: "GOTY!!"

5 minutes later

GAF: "pre-order cancelled im out fam"

My thoughts exactly. Doesn't mean it'll be handled well (hopefully it is!) but at the very least it'll change things up a little toward the end. I doubt I'll see it much differently from your typical focused narrative climaxes; the last few hours of any game and not just RPG's are usually very straightforward and "linear." The Witcher 3? Huge open world game, but even that gets on a tight forward motion in the last few hours. Same for Blood and Wine.

It doesn't really reveal too much. It may give you an idea of the game's structure toward the end, but there's no plot spoilers.

This and The Last Guardian will be under far more scrutiny than most games due to their development histories.

Granted, but people are claiming (mostly bullshit) they're cancelling pre-orders and calling the game a trainwreck based on a vague, confusingly written non-review. I'm not arguing the game is a masterpiece or a disaster. Based on the article from EDGE, that would be ridiculous.

5 minutes later

Neogaf.gif

Nothing in here sounds pre order cancelled tier to me. If I weigh y all the previews we have and simply add this one in nothing changes to much. My main worries still remain to be the camera(day 1 patch is supposed to fix it apparently) and the story being up to par

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

5 minutes later

Not really. If you notice mostly the skeptics have stayed skeptical throughout although with slightly growing optimism and the fanboys have stayed fanboys.
It's really same few people that go full dumb hype.

Does the article not talk more about the characters? I feel like the absence of praise for the characterization has me the most worried.

TokiDoki

Idk whats wrong with the shift or being linear as long as its still good . FF8 Disc 4 you basically confined in a castle , FFX is pretty linear throughout the game bar the fast travel . FF8 in the my favourite FF followed closely by FFX . And I hate every iterations of FF13 fyi .

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
On my mobile and it's an archaic piece of hardware so I'm uncertain if anyone else has said this yet but from having read the entire article I feel safe in saying the bit about solo Noctis likely regards an example of the second half and does not constitute the full experience. It is perhaps a single chapter, I would guess.

Just saying this because from glancing at early replies in this thread it felt like a few of you are worried it is like this for dozens of hours?

I feel like everything I'm hearing sounds like some cool, experimental choices that don't always land. That's basically the core of a Final Fantasy game to me.

Oh Jesus, from all the reactions to those mysterious black boxes of text, this is going to be Bravely Default all over again, isn't it? (Pardon the pun.)

EDIT: "Spoiled" myself. Turns out I was wrong, and people here are grossly abusing spoiler tags. The only thing that might require spoiler tags
that you pay as old Noctis after a time skip
has been all-but-telegraphed in promotional media.

I'm sure this game will be good and I'll like it, but it's going to be another Final Fantasy game that doesn't live up to its name. I get disappointed because I want a return to form for Final Fantasy.

Sagely

If they rattled through the whole game in just 40 hours, the entire "second half" of that is 20 hours. It's quite a long time but if you spent 40-80 hours exploring the open world segments and taking a slower pace, it's not going to feel like half your time is spent funneled towards the end. I still like the idea of a more linear back end experience myself.

I feel so stressed out...the review thread's going to be dramatic. But with this critique seemingly covering the whole game (at least the main story beats), I do feel the need to check out as many reviews as possible to get an idea of the most common complaints.

I'm sure this game will be good and I'll like it, but it's going to be another Final Fantasy game that doesn't live up to its name. I get disappointed because I want a return to form for Final Fantasy.
Yep I feel the same. I'm still pretty invested in the series and want to see it succeed, even though my enjoyment of this game is looking like a sure thing now.

Paracelsus

So basically they metalgearsolidfoured it.

Did people not expect massive problems for a game that took so long to make?

I was expecting a game good enough to make up for the real FFXV that never was and the Versus XIII that could've been. I guess they took the expectation the wrong way and sort of crammed two games in one.

Nestunt

This game is going to angry a lot of people, specially if the combat sucks.

I think I am going to enjoy it since I have zero expectations for a game with such an hellish development.

Kouriozan

What the fuck at that second half, this sounds really awful.
I'll still keep my pre-order but I really hate the sound of it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Now this is interesting. I haven't seen this mechanic in a JRPG yet.

5 minutes later

I keep my skepticism on board first, then slowly warm up to how the game fairs after launch-- I mean we are only observing other reviewers responses after all. But yeah, pretty much what Holundrian posted, it's really the same folks knee jerking based on some information.

Granted, the hype engine around this IP is fascinating to sit back and watch unfold.

Elios83

Just want to play the game at this point.
All these previews and medias are just spoiling the game without saying anything conclusive in any sense. The fact that the game will shift to a traditional story based RPG in the last part was already known. We'll see how it is executed.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I am about 500 times more concerned that the in-game economy never gives you enough money than I am about what is written there about the second half of the game.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Did people not expect massive problems for a game that took so long to make?

Not really. Since Versus 13 was basically cancelled and this game started development sometime in 2012 or so. It's basically a brand new game with some left over concepts from Versus 13.

Arex

It says "late game." Doesn't sound 50/50.

It kind of sounds like the game starts to become more and more linear during the second half, but not entirely, and not until much later does it get really condensed.

I hope so. I don't mind some kind of linearity really, as I think it's good to have more focused play towards the end. Just hoping it's not corridors after corridors linear haha

Also, I hope there will be strong female characters in this game, Luna or not.

I hope so. I don't mind some kind of linearity really, as I think it's good to have more focused play towards the end. Just hoping it's not corridors after corridors linear haha

It sounds like there's some of that, but not really enough to get worked up over. Or there could be, who knows, it's kinda vague.

Thank you, you saved me from an aneurysm.

But oh.

See, since I got caught up in everyone's reactions, I expected something catastrophically terrible. But that doesn't sound like too big a deal, and was also something reported or rumored a lot time ago.

Top Bottom