• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EEDAR releases console hardware chart, has Xbox One at 20 million as of December 2015

So we can now agree that the Xbone is over 20 million, right?

also, lol the Vita. What a waste of Sony's money and resources.

also, I thought the 3DS was around 60 million by the end of 2015?

PS3 overtakes X360? Disappointing, but well, that's mainly MS fault that they fucked up end of previous gen and beginning of current gen.

Why is that disappointing? Or better yet, why would it even matter at this point? By the time it happened, those two consoles were pretty much dead.

texore

Shouldn't 3DS be higher?

Edit: Oh most recent 3DS numbers were through end of December, so this chart might not reflect that.

I kinda expected this to be in favor of the Xbox One given all the console promotions we see, but it's more lopsided that I would've thought

gstopkfszy.png

Lime

Their 2 presentations from GDC are filled with graphs and data. Worth a look:

http://bit.ly/EEDAR_GDC16_pres1

http://bit.ly/EEDAR_GDC16_pres2

Yeah I posted some of the stuff in the other thread:

Whoops, now I am just going through the slides and there's a bunch of interesting stats that I don't want to create new threads for, so I just post them here and anyone can feel free to create new threads:

retailrevenueqfz4v.png

Kickstarter:
kickstartermdxen.png

Relationship between marketing budget + review scores

marketingvox6y.png

Digital revenue
stats21kb92.png

Physical / Digital revenue split
stats37hzjn.png

Steam games
stemgamesl5zsa.png

ohlawd

lmao are you serious with this? they both have less than five exclusives worth playing, they both deserve those shameful sales.
eh maybe. Wii U at least fulfills that tiny Nintendo niche. Vita doesn't do shit. smh at the people who continue to buy that system. shame at me too, I own two of the damn things ;_;

LeonSPBR

GO Vita and WiiU, you can do it.

Also at the kickstarter slide, almost $45 mil to unsuccessful projects... damn that's a really high number, not as high as $350 mil to successful projects but still it's a high number. Wonder if they have the amount of unsuccessful projects on kickstarter.

onQ123

I kinda expected this to be in favor of the Xbox One given all the console promotions we see, but it's more lopsided that I would've thought

gstopkfszy.png

Damn! that make things look even worse for Xbox One when they are getting way more promotion but still being outsold by PS4.

Gator86

I think the most interesting thing is PS3 overtaking the 360

Sony might wind up with 4 straight 100m selling consoles. Anyone who pretends that Sony doesn't run console gaming is nuts. That's an insane level of dominance considering the entirety of the rest of the console market is at 1 cumulatively, combined.

Sweetooth

Neo Member
EEDAR's Xbox One numbers aren't based on official data from Microsoft so it's still just an estimate, not an official figure.

_Spr_Drnk

Banned
Still find it hard to believe PS3 ended up roughly equal with Xbox360 at the end of the last gen, considering all the shitty ports and the 360 being the lead platform for the vast majority of games. Especially so if you take into account the percentage of 360 sales that came down to rrod replacements.

EDIT: I loved my 360!

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Wonder if the PS3 can overtake the Wii before it's discontinued.
Very unlikely, it has to hit a cheaper price point to do it, and Sony seems unable/unwilling to do so.

Wonder if the PS3 can overtake the Wii before it's discontinued.
Probably not. PS3 sales slowed down massively a couple years ago b/c it was already near 80 million about 3 1/2 years ago IIRC. So it's only sold about 3-5 million more since then from the looks of the graph. Sales'll slow down even more for it this year and I don't see it being officially manufactured or supported for another 15 years.

i havent bought a vita in years because i always expect it to kind of vanish soon, yet it hasn't even though it has sold so little maybe i should get one now/its probably too late

joecanada

Damn! that make things look even worse for Xbox One when they are getting way more promotion but still being outsold by PS4.

It's probably even worse than what you said... Because not " getting " but paying out the ass for promotions equals down profits 👇

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

gstopkfszy.png

It's the only way they've been able to compete. Free games galore and cheap prices will bring the sales so long as you've got the games people want to play. And Microsoft has that.

Gurish

The big news is that PS3 officialy beat the 360, it took more than 8 years but Sony did it, amazing!

Though I guess it's only "on paper" and most will agree that MS were the winners of that gen over Sony, too bad they threw all the good will with the XB1 reveal, they were in an amazing position after the 7th gen, XB1's reveal is probably the worst of all time, MS didn't truly recovered since that day.

Alebrije

It seems MS abandoned console model at the end of 360 life an not with Xbone. That Windows 10 hub was planned time ago like all bussines strategies ...

It seems MS abandoned console model at the end of 360 life an not with Xbone. That Windows 10 hub was planned time ago like all bussines strategies ...

...And that is why they have been spending so much promoting XboxOne sales at retail??

gstopkfszy.png

Brilliant strategy Microsoft.

Chaostar

gstopkfszy.png

Is this MS money or the stores running promotions for themselves? Do MS/Sony pay stores to advertise their consoles?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I think the most interesting thing is PS3 overtaking the 360

That and how close the PS3, 360 got to the Wii.

And I dont know whats worse....the Vita being so close in sales to the Wii U...or vice versa...

excluding Wii software sales to adjust to a certain narrative seems really desperate.

Good to see I'm not the only person who noticed that. People really want to remove and or downplay the impact the Wii had on gaming. It's amazing watching people put on a helmet and waggle when they did nothing but talk about how ridiculous people looked playing wii games.

Had to look up to know what was EEDAR lol

So, the PS3 outsold the 360 officially now? I remember being a debate about that. It looks like that on the graph

Unless I'm seeing it wrong, it looks like more than half.

Fact: Ps3 eclisped Xbox 360 sales in early 2013 and maintained that lead. Despite a year headstart Sony's brand power pulled it out in the end.

pooptest

Fact: Ps3 eclisped Xbox 360 sales in early 2013 and maintained that lead. Despite a year headstart Sony's brand power pulled it out in the end.

Plus all the RRoD re-buys. There were far less YLoD than RRoD in the previous generation.

I know many people, and from people on forums, that some bought multiple consoles due to RRoD.

I thought I heard the PS3 surpassing the 360 in sales a couple years ago.

Either way, the numbers are numbers and the bar graph is colorful.

Top Bottom