• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EEDAR releases console hardware chart, has Xbox One at 20 million as of December 2015

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Can someone do a quick n dirty PS2 tower somewhere in there and see how the rest compare to the king ?

Actually, I'm surprised nobody pixel counted this to see what these would actually be in number form. Also spoiler, EEDAR actually have the XB1 at <20m. Bar hits right below the 20m threshold, not on it.

So the EEDAR have the consoles at:

PS4: ~36.2m
XB1: ~19.6m
Wii U: ~12.1m

PS3: ~86.8m
Wii: ~100.4m
360: ~84.15m

3DS: ~47.9m
Vita: ~10.2m
Exact numbers via Adobe Illustrator:

PS4: 35.924.000
XB1: 20.000.000
WIU: 11.975.000

Wii: 101.529.000
PS3: 87.771.000
X360: 85.096.000

3DS: 48.408.000
Vita: 10.064.000

Numbers are just estimates, there are official Nintendo numbers and 3DS is way off: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/hard_soft/index.html

Into

I wonder what JEFF "360 WON LAST GEN" GERSTMANN thinks about 360 being third?

Who am i kidding, he made up his mind, USA >> World

joecanada

Generally, to draw an inference one will need a sample greater than 30 observations or datasets.

Theres 30 years worth of data for Nintendo if you want to be specific. so graph their sales over 30 years and the three Wii blew up will still look an outlier

Welfare

Exact numbers via Adobe Illustrator:

PS4: 35.924.000
XB1: 20.000.000
WIU: 11.975.000

Wii: 101.529.000
PS3: 87.771.000
X360: 85.096.000

3DS: 48.408.000
Vita: 10.064.000

Numbers are just estimates, there are official Nintendo numbers and 3DS is way off: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/sales/hard_soft/index.html

Hmm.

Yeah 3DS looks to be questionable. US+JP is at ~36.7m at the end of 2015. ROTW would only account for ~11.7m?

Also, just for fun, going with that 20m estimate for the XB1, US would represent 56% of XB1 WW sales.

Nuu

Banned
This is about demographics more than it is about the accurate meaning of the word.

The demographic buying action games is the "traditional" game buying audience on consoles hence they are "core" and according to the charts is pretty much unchanged.

The audience buying Wii Games (like dance games/genral entertainment) is gone. They have not moved on to the new generation of consoles.

Racing is also in the "core" half of the charts.

The issue is that it assumes every single Wii owner is casual which is untrue. Even if one quarter weren't casual gamers it dismisses its claim outright. Also I don't see how Guitar Hero's demographics is less hardcore than say Call of Duty's.

Javin98

Banned

Welfare

Nevermind, I'm high as shit, it seems. Anyway, I still wouldn't take these graphs as anything other than estimations.

Well everything is just an estimation. They do have NPD data though, and Japan numbers are public, so the only question would be if they have access to GFK.

Basically, even with these estimates, nothing looks to be wildly off besides the 3DS.

Javin98

Banned
Well everything is just an estimation. They do have NPD data though, and Japan numbers are public, so the only question would be if they have access to GFK.

Basically, even with these estimates, nothing looks to be wildly off besides the 3DS.
Yeah, I'm mainly referring to the XB1 numbers, aside from the 3DS numbers, of course, which have been proven to be way off. As your post states, if we take the 20 million figure at face value, the US contributes only 56% of the global sales. I just find that really unlikely, that's all.

These numbers are old. All of these systems, particularly PS4 and 3DS, should be a good bit more in sales than what's listed here. If their XBO estimates's around 20 million for that time frame I figure it's probably closer to 22 million now WW. PS4 should be around 40-42 million at this moment also.

In fact I'm sure the numbers in OP were already known as far back as December around these parts, if not early January.

Generally, to draw an inference one will need a sample greater than 30 observations or datasets.

Well, there aren't 30 observations.

So what would you suggest? Using the available information that is available to construct, in even the most shallow of ways, what segments of the market are and are not performing compared to some historical point in time or just throw one's hands up and say "I dunno!" and assume that the decline in console spend is just impossible to get any sense of understanding of and just project its utter demise, because that's what the curve is saying?

No one, including EEDAR, is saying that the Wii was an unimportant platform, or that its performance should be ignored. What is being attempted in the graph is to show guidance to the audience as to current market trends, to show what segments are doing when compared to some prior period.

If you are a dev or pub that focuses primarily on MS/Sony platforms, knowing the context of the market without Nintendo included is useful information, isn't it? If you are an investment bank, don't you want to know the component parts of the current console market?

By not looking at even shallow detail is how we get major press outlets saying mobile is killing console and the whole consoles are dead thing.

zMiiChy-

Banned
The Vita is such a polarizing platform - so much zealous haters or enthusiasts.
I'm sure that holds true to all platforms more or less, but Vita seems like a special case.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
lol 3DS' numbers alone are 10M short of the real figure as of Dec. 2015

Wonder if the PS3 can overtake the Wii before it's discontinued.

Not a chance

I wonder if the Vita can overtake the Wii U.

Depends. If Nintendo really stopped production (and has been having stock issues in Japan for months now) so that WiiU@$99 won't happen and NX comes out by Xmas 2016 then probably. If WiiU has Xmas 2016 all by itself then nope.

patapuf

The issue is that it assumes every single Wii owner is casual which is untrue. Even if one quarter weren't casual gamers it dismisses its claim outright. Also I don't see how Guitar Hero's demographics is less hardcore than say Call of Duty's.

The graphs don't claim anything, they show data.

and the data shows, that the genres most popular on the Wii showed a very strong decline when the gen changed. At the same time, software sales on the the more traditional consoles seem to be about the same.

That indicates that a big part of the Wii audience left the console space.

"hardcore/core" in this context is a marketing term and means the part of the audience the videogames industry has traditionally marketed to. It's not meant as a value judgement about how dedicated a player that demographic is.

Yeah I posted some of the stuff in the other thread:

Whoops, now I am just going through the slides and there's a bunch of interesting stats that I don't want to create new threads for, so I just post them here and anyone can feel free to create new threads:

retailrevenueqfz4v.png

Kickstarter:
kickstartermdxen.png

Relationship between marketing budget + review scores

marketingvox6y.png

Digital revenue
stats21kb92.png

Physical / Digital revenue split
stats37hzjn.png

Steam games
stemgamesl5zsa.png

Holy WOW @ that first graph. It really is a tournament at brick and mortar lately.

casiopao

I think you're right, looks like it's less then 55M in the graph.

The Vita numbers seems to be a bit below 10M which can't be right since we know that it passed it several years ago.

Any link on vita number there? I never remember vita reaching 10 mill here.

joecanada

Sales would more than likely be worse for the Xbox One if they didn't do it, so it's definitely a strategy that makes sense.

Heaven forbid they do both.

its kind of a necessity at this point. It looks like xbox averages twice as much promotion, and they are selling half as much, that is an absolute killer for your bottom line. although this is probably USA only so they aren't really being outsold 2:1 there. still even twice the promotion for equal sales would even be a high expense to your bottom line...

Any link on vita number there? I never remember vita reaching 10 mill here.

That leaves us with PlayStation Vita, which Sony is notoriously quiet about in terms of sales, likely because it's just not doing that well. Still, it's seen a bit of a resurgence this year both in Japan and in the west, and if our assumed sales of PS4 and PS3 are taken into account, that means Vita is hovering around the 10 million units sold mark.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2014/07/09/ps4-ps3-vita-100-million-sold-and-counting

its kind of a necessity at this point. It looks like xbox averages twice as much promotion, and they are selling half as much, that is an absolute killer for your bottom line. although this is probably USA only so they aren't really being outsold 2:1 there. still even twice the promotion for equal sales would even be a high expense to your bottom line...

Sure. But as you point out, what other choice to they have at the moment?

I'm sorry but this is only true to a point. Was the Wii mostly built off casual gamers? True, however taking away THE ENTIRE WII AUDIENCE and then point that your claim is true (just barely) is an enormous flaw. Especially when they cherry pick genres that prove their claims. Yes FPS games and "action" games have become more popular, but what about RPGs? Fighting games? Strategy games? Etc. They have these games all amongst the top on another chart, but very conveniently don't show them on the other."

It would have made more sense if they only added the Wii core genres to the previous generation list, but they didn't because they knew that would screw up their narrative.

No offense, but you are taking the intent and messaging of these slides in the entirely wrong way. All the slide is conveying is that a healthy market remains on MS/Sony platforms, and that certain genres are down and others up. It's no value judgment on the players or the systems, and the data is certainly not carrying any narrative other than "hey there's opportunity on these platforms and these genres".

Nuu

Banned
The graphs don't claim anything, they show data.

and the data shows, that the genres most popular on the Wii showed a very strong decline when the gen changed. At the same time, software sales on the the more traditional consoles seem to be about the same.

That indicates that a big part of the Wii audience left the console space.

"hardcore/core" in this context is a marketing term and means the part of the audience the videogames industry has traditionally marketed to. It's not meant as a value judgement about how dedicated a player that demographic is.

I'm sorry but this is only true to a point. Was the Wii mostly built off casual gamers? True, however taking away THE ENTIRE WII AUDIENCE and then point that your claim is true (just barely) is an enormous flaw. Especially when they cherry pick genres that prove their claims. Yes FPS games and "action" games have become more popular, but what about RPGs? Fighting games? Strategy games? Etc. They have these games all amongst the top on another chart, but very conveniently don't show them on the other."

It would have made more sense if they only added the Wii core genres to the previous generation list, but they didn't because they knew that would screw up their narrative.

patapuf

Strategy games are a non factor on all consoles, smash is the only relevant fighting game on the wii, and while RPG's are missing from the stats, not one big RPG franchise was on the Wii last gen, so i'm not sure what part is missing there.

Abdiel

That's ridiculous. Phil must had to practice smiling before doing interviews or going on stage.

That target number seems pretty understandable, considering how significant their black Friday push was the last two years. Didn't they have front page space and gift card promos on top of the lowered costs?

And they've been very aggressive in ad space at our stores as well, despite ps4s selling more consistently.

Malakai

Theres 30 years worth of data for Nintendo if you want to be specific. so graph their sales over 30 years and the three Wii blew up will still look an outlier

Nintendo only have released like 12 gaming systems over the last 30 years. You still wouldn't use the term outlier when you have a dataset of 12 data points. You aren't referencing sells per year; however, you are referencing total sales per gaming system.

Nintendo only have released like 12 gaming systems over the last 30 years. You still wouldn't use the term outlier when you have a dataset of 12 data points. You aren't referencing sells per year; however, you are referencing total sales per gaming system.

sigh

Welfare

Nintendo consoles were on a decline since the very beginning.

NES - 61.91m
SNES - 49.1m (-20.7%)
N64 - 32.93m (-32.9%)
GCN - 21.74m (-34%)
WII - 101.63m (+367.5%)
WIU - 12.6m (-87.6%)

Wii is absolutely an outlier for Nintendo home consoles.

Without the Wii

NES - 61.91m
SNES - 49.1m (-20.7%)
N64 - 32.93m (-32.9%)
GCN - 21.74m (-34%)
WIU - 12.6m (-42%)

And given that the Wii U is still selling, it'll get closer to the GCN, but the trend is that Nintendo is on a decline, and every generation is a worse drop than the last.

Nuu

Banned
Strategy games are a non factor on all consoles, smash is the only relevant fighting game on the wii, and while RPG's are missing from the stats, not one big RPG franchise was on the Wii last gen, so i'm not sure what part is missing there.

Let me try one more time.

The chart is dishonest for primarily two reasons:

The first is that it does not include the Wii at all what so ever. While the Wii definitely sold to a lot of casual gamers, it also sold to a lot of core gamers as well. Super Smash Bros. Brawl sold nearly 13 million copies.Twilight Princess sold three quarters to 10 million copies. Skyward Sword, Call of Duty, and Resident Evil 4 were all multi-million sellers. Metroid Prime 3, Monster Hunter Tri, and Red Steel sold well over a million copies. It is clear that there was a reasonable share of the Wii's userbase that was core. Instead of counting this userbase they dismiss alright and end up BARELY having this generation beat the previous one in software sales. If the Wii core software sales was accurately measured and counted for, then the previous generation would beat this generation software sales easily.

The second reason why this data is bollocks is because it only shows significant growth in two genres: which are "action" and shooter. This doesn't include other genres such as fighting, "strategy" (the seventh most popular genre on console according to the chart), "narrative", and others. The genres are in quotations because I'm not sure how they define them, but either way it does call for skepticism when they talk about growth, when every other genre they showed was either flat or showed decline.

No offense, but you are taking the intent and messaging of these slides in the entirely wrong way. All the slide is conveying is that a healthy market remains on MS/Sony platforms, and that certain genres are down and others up. It's no value judgment on the players or the systems, and the data is certainly not carrying any narrative other than "hey there's opportunity on these platforms and these genres".

The problem is that things may not be as healthy as they are making it seem. Software sales for core games could certainly be down on consoles since they discounted software sales on an entire platform.

Malakai

You missed the point completely.

Nintendo consoles were on a decline since the very beginning.

NES - 61.91m
SNES - 49.1m (-20.7%)
N64 - 32.93m (-32.9%)
GCN - 21.74m (-34%)
WII - 101.63m (+367.5%)
WIU - 12.6m (-87.6%)

Wii is absolutely an outlier for Nintendo home consoles.

Without the Wii

NES - 61.91m
SNES - 49.1m (-20.7%)
N64 - 32.93m (-32.9%)
GCN - 21.74m (-34%)
WIU - 12.6m (-42%)

And given that the Wii U is still selling, it'll get closer to the GCN, but the trend is that Nintendo is on a decline, and every generation is a worse drop than the last.

How convenient of you to just list Nintendo home console sales.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Hmm.

Yeah 3DS looks to be questionable. US+JP is at ~36.7m at the end of 2015. ROTW would only account for ~11.7m?

Also, just for fun, going with that 20m estimate for the XB1, US would represent 56% of XB1 WW sales.

We also have 4 million in France alone by end of 2015. And in UK was over 2 million back in December 2013.

I mean yeah, 3DS can't be so low...

joecanada

first of all it would be perfectly acceptable to graph "sales revenue per year Nintendo home consoles" over 30 years.

Second of all, do you really believe that multimillion dollar companies crunch numbers and then in a sales meeting the accountant tells the CEO "well we are on a real downward slide here but the numbers are not really statistically significant because we don't have enough data points".... Do you think that is how companies operate in real life? I have taken statistics, don't worry, but there is this thing called real life where you need to know right now what the status of your business is. and the current status of Nintendo is WiiU. the console before Wii was the Gamecube, let that sink in. And the Wii is looking more and more like an outlier the more time that goes by. Do you expect the Wii to start selling 20 million this year? Next? If the Wii isn't an outlier how exactly would you define it?

Please graph Nintendo home console sales by year or by system and then post here and show me how it is the norm for them to sell over 100 million or up to 20 million per year?! (im not sure how much the wii sold per year but it must have been a lot).

n9jtO56.png

Outlier - NOUN
1.a person or thing situated away or detached from the main body or system:
"less accessible islands and outliers"

You missed the point completely.

How convenient of you to just list Nintendo home console sales.

home console sales is exactly what I stated was an outlier when you started arguing the definition of outlier.

edit - graph added

Malakai

first of all it would be perfectly acceptable to graph "sales revenue per year Nintendo home consoles" over 30 years.

Second of all, do you really believe that multimillion dollar companies crunch numbers and then in a sales meeting the accountant tells the CEO "well we are on a real downward slide here but the numbers are not really statistically significant because we don't have enough data points".... Do you think that is how companies operate in real life? I have taken statistics, don't worry, but there is this thing called real life where you need to know right now what the status of your business is. and the current status of Nintendo is WiiU. the console before Wii was the Gamecube, let that sink in. And the Wii is looking more and more like an outlier the more time that goes by. Do you expect the Wii to start selling 20 million this year? Next? If the Wii isn't an outlier how exactly would you define it?

Please graph Nintendo home console sales by year or by system and then post here and show me how it is the norm for them to sell over 100 million or up to 20 million per year?! (im not sure how much the wii sold per year but it must have been a lot).

Outlier - NOUN
1.a person or thing situated away or detached from the main body or system:
"less accessible islands and outliers"

home console sales is exactly what I stated was an outlier when you started arguing the definition of outlier.

Never mind the fact that Nintendo made a HELL of a lot more money than Sony and Microsoft gaming divisions even when N64 and the Gamecube sold less than it's opposition. Never mind that fact that you are and continue to ignore Nintendo other sales from their other gaming systems. Never mind, that the Wii and the DS most likely made more money than both Sony and Microsoft gaming division put together in the generation 7. Never mind the fact that the Wii sold a lot of systems and still didn't get the major third party support. (Nearly at rate 2:1 in the beginning Wii:pS3 & XBox360). But, I suppose the Wii doesn't matter at all....

Malakai

Ya but outlier in data points can be in comparison to different things. Sony selling 100 million not really an outlier for Sony.

Wii data is an outlier for Nintendo if you graph home consoles. That's a fact because without Wii it's steady decline.
Nintendo selling 100 million hardwares not an outlier if you include handheld

A home console of any type selling 100 million is not an outlier

Depends what the reference is

It is kinda funny that Nintendo, actually, have more systems that sold more than 100 million than Sony. The GB/GBC, DS and the Wii vs PS1 and PS2 for Sony.

This has suddenly turned into sad comedy.

Please continue to argue that water is actually fire aka I don't know what what an outlier is for home consoles.

Malakai

This has suddenly turned into sad comedy.

Please continue to argue that water is actually fire aka I don't know what what an outlier is for home consoles.

It comes of disingenuous to discount the Wii software sales due to it being "outlier". They are literally abusing the term if they want to exclude it from analysis. Gaming systems sales aren't just random observations were we get to pick and chose and dismiss what we want.

Software sales for core games could certainly be down on consoles since they discounted software sales on an entire platform.

Those slides are trying to offer some future guidance coming out of the huge declines from prior gen. It's a forward looking document, and is basically saying that the consumer spend the market enjoyed during the Wii era has left the dedicated console market.

These slides are actually communicating what you are wishing it did, it's just doing so in a different way. Instead of saying "the Wii was huge and it declined and now the market is down and those people left" it's saying "removing the Wii, we see that the other platforms are stable/have grown". The end result is the same thing. "The Wii was this powerhouse console that provided a ton of consumer spend that is gone now. So, pubs & devs, what should you focus on now?"

It comes of disingenuous to discount the Wii software sales due to it being "outlier". They are literally abusing the term if they want to exclude it from analysis. Gaming systems sales aren't just random observations were we get to pick and chose and dismiss what we want.

You're looking for long-term trends, and trying to parse whatever you can from the data available. The inclusion of the Wii data into these trends makes the data less useful. No one is discounting the Wii. It was just so successful that it doesn't align with any other set of data points. And, when analyzing real data, sometimes things aren't perfect. You have to take what you have, mold it as well as you can, note that the sample size is small, ensure that you communicate that the range of error on whatever findings are made is higher because of it, but you still need to come up with ideas of what has happened and why and what should be done about it. As an analyst, that's your job. You don't need to fight for the honor of the Nintendo Wii, there's not one person working in the videogame industry that is unaware of its importance.

Never mind the fact that Nintendo made a HELL of a lot more money than Sony and Microsoft gaming divisions even when N64 and the Gamecube sold less than it's opposition. Never mind that fact that you are and continue to ignore Nintendo other sales from their other gaming systems. Never mind, that the Wii and the DS most likely made more money than both Sony and Microsoft gaming division put together in the generation 7. Never mind the fact that the Wii sold a lot of systems and still didn't get the major third party support. (Nearly at rate 2:1 in the beginning Wii:pS3 & XBox360). But, I suppose the Wii doesn't matter at all....

You are completely, utterly, fantastically, amazingly missing the point of the data presented.

Abdiel

Those slides are trying to offer some future guidance coming out of the huge declines from prior gen. It's a forward looking document, and is basically saying that the consumer spend the market enjoyed during the Wii era has left the dedicated console market.

These slides are actually communicating what you are wishing it did, it's just doing so in a different way. Instead of saying "the Wii was huge and it declined and now the market is down and those people left" it's saying "removing the Wii, we see that the other platforms are stable/have grown". The end result is the same thing. "The Wii was this powerhouse console that provided a ton of consumer spend that is gone now. So, pubs & devs, what should you focus on now?"

You're looking for long-term trends, and trying to parse whatever you can from the data available. The inclusion of the Wii data into these trends makes the data less useful. No one is discounting the Wii. It was just so successful that it doesn't align with any other set of data points. And, when analyzing real data, sometimes things aren't perfect. You have to take what you have, mold it as well as you can, note that the sample size is small, ensure that you communicate that the range of error on whatever findings are made is higher because of it, but you still need to come up with ideas of what has happened and why and what should be done about it. As an analyst, that's your job. You don't need to fight for the honor of the Nintendo Wii, there's not one person working in the videogame industry that is unaware of its importance.

You are completely, utterly, fantastically, amazingly missing the point of the data presented.

Cosmic, I'd like to state that the way you present your commentary and attempt to make the data being presented more relatable for him is really awesome. You're one of my favorite posters here on GAF, and you make the Sales side of things really rewarding for me.

On to your commentary!

Everything you've presented in the above post is really reasonable, rational, and carefully worded to fall in line with the obvious information we have associated with the analysis. No one is trying to pretend that the Wii was somehow not important or significant.

Why it was being left out of the analysis is to make sure that for those clients that are using this data as an actual metric for forward considerations of planning for future projects, that unlike the Wii, the PS4/XB1 remain largely stable in their overall format for the spend/purchasing habits, while the Wii was a totally unexpected variable in the larger trends of console gaming that no one could account for, and there's no way to try and put a 'lightning in a bottle' planning again.

Some people are so defensive over their favorite brand as though it's being considered as not the astronomical success story that it was in the first half of last generation, the Wii totally killed it. But it didn't represent a consistent pattern to be able to plan around.

Celine

The audience buying Wii Games (like dance games/genral entertainment) is gone. They have not moved on to the new generation of consoles.
The kind of games Wii attracted, outside of Nintendo games, were the mid/low budget productions.
Those kind of games moved to PC DL/Mobile.
Reason being not just the audience but the costs associated with them too.
What is going to kill variety in the retail console industry is the costs to produce and market games.

Its an outlier....for Nintendo home console sales.

If its an outlier for that.....why cant it be one for last gen. All I know is its a grey area with the Wii and last gen. Last gen as a whole was an outlier. That said...even if the Wii had sold as much as the NES....it still would be a decline this gen. It just wouldnt look as bad. The Wii U failing so hard also causes this gen to look bad.

Sony averages over 100 million home console sales from PS1 to PS3....so I dont think one would say that about a Sony home console. MS...you may have a point.

I don't buy that argument for Nintendo home consoles. NES sold 62 million when the market was much smaller. The difference between it and it's competitors at the time looks quite similar to what we see in every gen there is a drastic market leader.

Now all of last gen was an outlier? Then why compare to only 2/3 outliers if they are all outliers?

CosmicQueso said:
Do you not know what the term "outlier" means in analysis??

It means abnormally high or low performance when compared with the rest of the sample.

The Wii was so massive a success that it far exceeds the rest of the sample of consoles. It also makes projecting the remaining or future market less reliable when it is included.

FFS not everything is a console war.

Calling the Wii an outlier is a huge compliment to its performance and impact on the market.

It has nothing to do with the name on the box.

I'm well aware of the words meaning. The Wii isn't even the best selling console. It's certainly not abnormally high. Are ps2 and ps1 outliers now too?

EEDAR and their disingenuous comparison are who you should be accusing of console warrior behavior to make their favorites look good. I'm not the one ignoring sales when they suit my narrative.

Ya but outlier in data points can be in comparison to different things. Sony selling 100 million not really an outlier for Sony.

Wii data is an outlier for Nintendo if you graph home consoles. That's a fact because without Wii it's steady decline.
Nintendo selling 100 million hardwares not an outlier if you include handheld

A home console of any type selling 100 million is not an outlier

Depends what the reference is

See my response to the first quote. I don't think it's an outlier for Nintendo home consoles. NES dominated the market similar to the way PS1 and PS2 did. The market was simply much smaller at the time.

The reference is to the past picture of the market. There is no reason beyond making this gen appear to be doing better to take away a slice of the market.

I apologize for the late response. Some newly acquired real life responsibilities prevented me from responding earlier.

Right back at you, Ab!

What is going to kill variety in the retail console industry is the costs to produce and market games.

We had just over 200 packaged releases hit the US market last year, just slightly down versus the year prior.

We had over 900 packaged releases in 2009.

One could argue that variety in the retail console industry is already dead to a great extent, particularly when comparing to the peak period (when release count was indeed driven by the Nintendo Wii and NDS).

Are you finding enough variety in what remains to continue being interested in purchasing consoles and games at retail?

How low can that release count number go before people lose interest? 175? 150?

If the NX can really hit (and if it uses physical software) maybe we can see that variety start to return.

If it doesn't, I don't know what will. That's the scary part of the current market environment, imo.

EEDAR and their disingenuous comparison are who you should be accusing of console warrior behavior to make their favorites look good. I'm not the one ignoring sales when they suit my narrative.

Take a step back for a moment and ask yourself whether an organization like EEDAR, one that provides professional analytic services for most of the major publishers in the industry, has "favorites" in the console space. That they would then take that biased information to a major corporation, full of smart people that have been working in the games industry, in some cases, since before the PS1, present that biased information, in order to push those "favorites"? And, by extent, do you also believe that these people at publishers and developers that utilize this information, would not be able to see any inherent bias? That they would all just fall for a "narrative" over EEDAR's consoles of choice? And that then these major corporations would make investment and business decisions not realizing that the whole time they'd been brainwashed?

Do you honestly believe, truly, that this is how the industry works?

Top Bottom