• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EEDAR releases console hardware chart, has Xbox One at 20 million as of December 2015

Thanks to Lime for finding this. I think the Xbox One is the only one we didn't have numbers for.

hardware1oakf.png

Source: http://www.eedar.com/blog/eedar-insights-gdc16
Holy shit so the PS3 did ended up outselling the 360 worldwide then!

Welfare

Interesting.

I can't tell from just looking at the graph, but this is shipped or sold as of 2015?

Also Europe and Japan are carrying the PS3 past the 360 I see.

allan-bh

The big news is that PS3 officialy beat the 360, it took more than 8 years but Sony did it, amazing!

Though I guess it's only "on paper" and most will agree that MS were the winners of that gen over Sony, too bad they threw all the good will with the XB1 reveal, they were in an amazing position after the 7th gen, XB1's reveal is probably the worst of all time, MS didn't truly recovered since that day.

This word doesn't fit here.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
PlayStation 3 surpassed Xbox 360 in sales yet I still easily enjoyed and preferred Xbox 360 over PlayStation 3 when I owned both of them. Doubt that im the only one.

ethomaz

Banned
They're just projecting the market using some extrapolation, just like every other analyst organization does. There are no perfectly reliable numbers for this stuff.
Thanks.

So the numbers are close estimates.

My mistake, was an MS analyst who pegged it at 18mil. So that 20mil number is even higher.
MS never said 18m.

Last time they shared something was "close to hit 10 million".

PlayStation 3 surpassed Xbox 360 in sales yet I still easily enjoyed and preferred Xbox 360 over PlayStation 3 when I owned both of them. Doubt that im the only one.

PS3 released later and was overpriced and still tied or overtook the more powerful Xbox. That's pretty sad for MS given all the effort and resources dedicated to Xbox. Plus, Nintendo made bank and kicked butt for a long time too. Waste of time IMO.

stryke

I'm not sure why you think your console preference is relevant to the market performance of these consoles.

Good to see I'm not the only person who noticed that. People really want to remove and or downplay the impact the Wii had on gaming. It's amazing watching people put on a helmet and waggle when they did nothing but talk about how ridiculous people looked playing wii games.

Oh come on.

The reason the Wii has to be removed from comparisons like this is because the Wii had such an outlier impact on gaming.

It's not to downplay that success at all. In fact, it's the exact opposite of downplaying it.

Madao

the 3DS still not close to 60 million?

man, the late gen has been brutal to it. seems like they should have replaced it entirely instead of doing the New 3DS refresh.

Oh come on.

The reason the Wii has to be removed from comparisons like this is because the Wii had such an outlier impact on gaming.

It's not to downplay that success at all. In fact, it's the exact opposite of downplaying it.

It's clearly building a more positive narrative of the present market. One that simply cannot exist if we include all the consoles wich has traditionally been the case.

Outlier my butt. VR's emerging control methods take liberally from the Wii's inspiration. Which is very similar to NES and the old fashioned arcades. That also ignores the mobile market where Just Dance is doing rather well. I mention it because that's a big 3rd party franchise part of those bubble sales that don't seem to be there any more. But it does exist. The customers just aren't chained to the boxes that are now "deemed" a part of the same market to get to it. The impact of the Wii is still among us. It didn't dissipate into ether. It's moved on to competing products that aren't included in their analysis.

I can't believe a 105 million selling console is now considered an outlier. No one would say that if the box said Sony or Microsoft.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
It's clearly building a more positive narrative of the present market. One that simply cannot exist if we include all the consoles wich has traditionally been the case.

Outlier my butt. VR's emerging control methods take liberally from the Wii's inspiration. Which is very similar to NES and the old fashioned arcades. That also ignores the mobile market where Just Dance is doing rather well. I mention it because that's a big 3rd party franchise part of those bubble sales that don't seem to be there any more. But it does exist. The customers just aren't chained to the boxes that are now "deemed" a part of the same market to get to it. The impact of the Wii is still among us. It didn't dissipate into ether. It's moved on to competing products that aren't included in their analysis.

I can't believe a 105 million selling console is now considered an outlier. No one would say that if the box said Sony or Microsoft.

Its an outlier....for Nintendo home console sales.

If its an outlier for that.....why cant it be one for last gen. All I know is its a grey area with the Wii and last gen. Last gen as a whole was an outlier. That said...even if the Wii had sold as much as the NES....it still would be a decline this gen. It just wouldnt look as bad. The Wii U failing so hard also causes this gen to look bad.

Sony averages over 100 million home console sales from PS1 to PS3....so I dont think one would say that about a Sony home console. MS...you may have a point.

The Wii really isn't in a "grey area". It was a dedicated device that moved a ton of units while competing with other dedicated devices. So what if it sold to casuals? So did the DS, it sold a shitload. Neither stopped being dedicated video game hardware somewhere in the process.

jroc74

The Wii really isn't in a "grey area". It was a dedicated device that moved a ton of units while competing with other dedicated devices. So what if it sold to casuals? So did the DS, it sold a shitload. Neither stopped being dedicated video game hardware somewhere in the process.

If we go by Nintendo home console sales.

Not talking about who it sold to...just sale trends of Nintendo home consoles. Let me ask this then: since Wii U sales will cause this gen to look really bad....and its on a regular downward sales slope if we omit the Wii for Nintendo home console sales..

What does that say about last gen and this gen and Nintendo home console sales? Because either way...Nintendo is causing this debate. With the Wii phenomenon and the Wii U failure.

AniHawk

Its an outlier....for Nintendo home console sales.

If its an outlier for that.....why cant it be one for last gen. All I know is its a grey area with the Wii and last gen. Last gen as a whole was an outlier. That said...even if the Wii had sold as much as the NES....it still would be a decline this gen. It just wouldnt look as bad. The Wii U failing so hard also causes this gen to look bad.

Sony averages over 100 million home console sales from PS1 to PS3....so I dont think one would say that about a Sony home console. MS...you may have a point.

i think more accurately, you have to look at the 7th gen as the peak of video game dedicated hardware. the dedicated market will not do any better moving forward. sony, microsoft, and nintendo never moved as much hardware then as they had done before. this is partially why we are seeing iterative hardware coming from the hardware manufacturers.

the big indication of where video games are going are how digital-only is taking over on dedicated hardware, and just how much steam has exploded over the last two years. we are moving away from a need to have dedicated software, and we will be moving away from a need to have games made on dedicated hardware. already we are in an era where by and large the driving force for new experiences isn't done by traditional developers, but small teams making things you can download easily on your computer.

i guess my point is, the comparison between last gen and this gen can't exclude parts of it to claim the 'industry is healthy.' instead i think it's better to expand your viewpoint to see where the industry was and where it's headed. people don't play games on their phones because they're dumb. they do it because it's inexpensive, there's a lot of variety, and the games are super accessible. if it happened to one userbase (casual gamers and japanese gamers), it can happen to another... and it will.

jroc74

i think more accurately, you have to look at the 7th gen as the peak of video game dedicated hardware. the dedicated market will not do any better moving forward. sony, microsoft, and nintendo never moved as much hardware then as they had done before. this is partially why we are seeing iterative hardware coming from the hardware manufacturers.

the big indication of where video games are going are how digital-only is taking over on dedicated hardware, and just how much steam has exploded over the last two years. we are moving away from a need to have dedicated software, and we will be moving away from a need to have games made on dedicated hardware. already we are in an era where by and large the driving force for new experiences isn't done by traditional developers, but small teams making things you can download easily on your computer.

i guess my point is, the comparison between last gen and this gen can't exclude parts of it to claim the 'industry is healthy.' instead i think it's better to expand your viewpoint to see where the industry was and where it's headed. people don't play games on their phones because they're dumb. they do it because it's inexpensive, there's a lot of variety, and the games are super accessible. if it happened to one userbase (casual gamers and japanese gamers), it can happen to another... and it will.

I agree. But when you have companies go from Wii, PSP sales to Wii U, Vita sales..

Its also why I never like mixing handhelds and home consoles in these type of debates when the focus is home consoles. Nintendo has always did really good selling handhelds. Home consoles...not so much.

Sony is the only competition for handheld sales as far as handheld gaming devices. Not talking about mobile phones but handheld gaming devices. Sony did 2 generations of handheld devices...and might not do another.

Hypothetical time...

Lets say the PS4 and XBO sales gap stays the same....and the PS4 reaches 100 million. It would take for the Wii U to sale about 50 million for it to be on par with last gen if the Wii had sold as much as the NES.

To match last gen and not omit the Wii? The Wii U would have to sell about 85 million in this scenario.

The Wii U failing so bad also has to be looked at too. We can talk about the industry as a whole declining but one company alone is causing a massive decline. This gen is on pace to sale less home consoles than last gen...and yet the PS4 is on pace to sell close to 100 million. All I can say is blame Nintendo for all this anomaly, bubble, outlier talk...lol.

Do you not know what the term "outlier" means in analysis??

It means abnormally high or low performance when compared with the rest of the sample.

The Wii was so massive a success that it far exceeds the rest of the sample of consoles. It also makes projecting the remaining or future market less reliable when it is included.

FFS not everything is a console war.

Calling the Wii an outlier is a huge compliment to its performance and impact on the market.

It has nothing to do with the name on the box.

Why are we giving these numbers the time of day? They managed to track the 3DS at under 50 million when we have official numbers at 57.94 million. Only undertracked by 10 million. Even Chartz is considerably more reliable.

joecanada

Ya but outlier in data points can be in comparison to different things. Sony selling 100 million not really an outlier for Sony.

Wii data is an outlier for Nintendo if you graph home consoles. That's a fact because without Wii it's steady decline.
Nintendo selling 100 million hardwares not an outlier if you include handheld

A home console of any type selling 100 million is not an outlier

Depends what the reference is

Welfare

I thought it was that supposedly in the know analyst who gave a number of Win10 activations and said that 18m of it were XB1s?

Basically, out of +200m Windows 10 devices that were active during December, ~18m were Xbox One's. Supposedly.

Steroyd

Good to see I'm not the only person who noticed that. People really want to remove and or downplay the impact the Wii had on gaming. It's amazing watching people put on a helmet and waggle when they did nothing but talk about how ridiculous people looked playing wii games.

And what impact was that? Nintendo caught a market that they didn't understand or fully grasp/capatilised because we're not seeing it integrate itself into the 'core' games like GTA did for open world or that new 'cinematic' games are striving for now, on top of that, that market went into the ether and I find it hard to see them come back.

It's fascinating how so many people are surprised the ps3 overtook the 360. I mean, Japan and Europe carried that console. It was bound to happen eventually.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
lmao are you serious with this? they both have less than five exclusives worth playing, they both deserve those shameful sales.

Mario 3D World
Bayonetta 2
Yoshi's Woolly World
DKC Tropical Freeze
New Super Mario Bros. U
Pikmin 3

-----
EDIT: I realised I named three 2D platformers, so in case you don't accept several games from the same genre, I'll add:
Mario Kart 8
Splatoon
just to be safe from that.
-----

I'll stop here, because that makes 6>5. Not because there are no more. I don't know if I would easily reach a greater number than 5 for Vita, where both, I think that personally I deem them fantastic and a more general audience agrees, but I'm sure others can just as easily break the 5 threshold for Vita, too. This claim is just bullshit, sorry. Of course, personally I think that both systems deserve better sales, so I'm not in agreement with the poster you answered too, either.

... and maybe if more people have it a honest try they would enjoy it too ;).

I think the games on the system are only appealing to a very narrow audience, so I don't think there are too many people left to convince.

I'm more perplexed about the Wii U's performance personally. I've always found it strange that the two systems were so close when Nintendo games are supposed to be appealing to a much, much wider audience. To think a system with the successors to games that sold 30 million copies would struggle to beat a system as niche as the Vita, it's crazy.

Regardless, I don't even know why we're discussing these numbers. They couldn't even check Nintendo's own numbers. They're completely useless.

Don't know if this thread is only looking at the XB1 and other hardware sales, but the EEDAR report is fascinating, especially the "Monetizing Mobile" segment (PDF page 41 onwards). We really lost Japan to mobile, brehs. :( Damn, those numbers are crazy. #KonamiWasRight :()

Malakai

Ya but outlier in data points can be in comparison to different things. Sony selling 100 million not really an outlier for Sony.

Wii data is an outlier for Nintendo if you graph home consoles. That's a fact because without Wii it's steady decline.
Nintendo selling 100 million hardwares not an outlier if you include handheld

A home console of any type selling 100 million is not an outlier

Depends what the reference is

Generally, to draw an inference one will need a sample greater than 30 observations or datasets.

Melchiah

Now, this is an interesting chart, and it shows the action and shooter games' sales have increased. I wonder, does action include RPGs as well? All the doom and gloom seem pretty pointless, when games continue to have record sales, both in AAA and indie categories.

The lack of interest for racing is disappointing though.

Nuu

Banned
To put in perspective of how poorly the Vita has done, it has sold the same amount of units world-wide over the past five years as the Gamegear did.

Software down or not? Wii is a bubble
down47sz6.png
down23xs6j.png

This is ridiculous. It's not like the Wii only sold to casual consumers. Zelda, Resident Evil, Smash Bros., and Call of Duty were multi-million sellers on the system. You can't just remove half of the market to "prove' a point.

I don't understand how music and racing games are casual yet first person shooters and "action" are not. These charts are horrible.

patapuf

To put in perspective of how poorly the Vita has done, it has sold the same amount of units world-wide over the past five years as the Gamegear did.

This is ridiculous. It's not like the Wii only sold to casual consumers. Zelda, Resident Evil, Smash Bros., and Call of Duty were multi-million sellers on the system. You can't just remove half of the market to "prove' a point.

I don't understand how music and racing games are casual yet first person shooters and "action" are not. These charts are horrible.

This is about demographics more than it is about the accurate meaning of the word.

The demographic buying action games is the "traditional" game buying audience on consoles hence they are "core" and according to the charts is pretty much unchanged.

The audience buying Wii Games (like dance games/genral entertainment) is gone. They have not moved on to the new generation of consoles.

Racing is also in the "core" half of the charts.

Top Bottom