• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGX 2015: VR Year!!

Hmm. I have no backup plan, so fingers crossed.

I use Hampton Station rather than drive into Birmingham for shopping etc and have never had a problem. Never done it when there's been a big event on though.

If you have no luck at Hampton, it's only a short drive to the NEC itself as long as you're happy to part with the extra cash.

Audioboxer

Not sure if this is allowed on GAF but I've got a superpass I'm willing to sell if anyone wants it? Sadly cannot make it. Tried to organise at least travelling down for one day after I seen Shu was going to be there but I simply can't fit it in (about 5 hours of driving for me). No hotels for me even to try and drive down for Fri night and go home on Sat night. Those that have rooms are a few miles away and are around if not over £100 for one night. Don't fancy sleeping in the car overnight lol, and I don't know anyone in Birmingham to shack up with.

Sad, as I've been the past few years and this year looks to be the best.

Paid £60 but I'll give it to someone on GAF for £30 if anyone is interested?

No takers at £30? Will go to Ebay later today if not.

Paganmoon

it's about a 2 hour drive from Liverpool, but decide quickly - there aren't many tickets left

checking traintickets, and holy shit, UK trainsystem is a fucking mess... I'm getting an headache trying to figure out which site to buy from, and which trainline goes where, and how much it's going to cost.

nationalrail.co.uk gives one price, raileasy.co.uk gives another price, and completely different times, Raileasy-tickets are apparently London Midland trains, but on the London Midland's homepage, the return train at 17.35 (direct to Liverpool Lime street) isn't even listed.

What in the fuck...

Edit: Raileasy seems to be best price so far with an early train and train back at 17.35, for £56 (for 2 people), but since I can't find the return train on London Midland homepage, I'm a bit hesitant at purchasing. Are they (raileasy) legit?

£37.70 for me return. I'm getting in about 10:30, leave at 8pm wanna go for drinks/meal after. BTW, any good bars/restaurants?

Stalk

Been for the last few years and no change this year, in on the Saturday. Getting from Cambridge to Birmingham doesn't seem that bad.

Volotaire

Only use the Trainline for looking at trains. Don't book on the trainline. They charge for use of debit or credit cards. Every other website (Virgin, Londonmidland, etc) lists all trains times for every station or service no matter the train firm.

Baleoce

Last year I queued for VR for about 2 hours and then didn't even get to play the game I queued up for. Played some random prototype platforming game instead of Elite: Dangerous. And it felt like barely any time had passed at all before I was asked to give up the controller for the next person. In all likelyhood I'll give VR a pass this year and just spend most of my time at the regular indie booths (which judging from the "what's on" section, are really stacked this year) actually playing games instead of queueing. I queued up for FarCry 4 as well, and found a bug that glitched me into a wall and I had to reset my progress after 10 mins, other than that it mostly felt like FarCry 3. Gonna start using these events as opportunities to try out fresh ideas with as little queueing as possible.

Mikeside

Last year I queued for VR for about 2 hours and then didn't even get to play the game I queued up for. Played some random prototype platforming game instead of Elite: Dangerous. And it felt like barely any time had passed at all before I was asked to give up the controller for the next person. In all likelyhood I'll give VR a pass this year and just spend most of my time at the regular indie booths (which judging from the "what's on" section, are really stacked this year) actually playing games instead of queueing. I queued up for FarCry 4 as well, and found a bug that glitched me into a wall and I had to reset my progress after 10 mins, other than that it mostly felt like FarCry 3. Gonna start using these events as opportunities to try out fresh ideas with as little queueing as possible.

to be fair, I reckon there'll be a much bigger VR presence this year, so you'll have a good chance of getting on a unit - especially as we've got PSVR (book a timeslot), Oculus AND VIVE there

Paganmoon

After spending an hour or so cursing your trainsystem (privatized public transport is fucking idiotic), finally got train tickets booked and Sunday tickets for EGX. Better be worth it!

Edit: where do you book a timeslot for Morpheus?

AHA-Lambda

It's already been confirmed no Dark Souls

Fucking WHAT?? It was at Gamescom >_<

I figured the lineup was still being updated! That AAA list is looking kinda anemic for stuff beyond this year then =/
I guess 2 days will be enough for me =/

I'm still trying to decide if i should go to this while there are some tickets left. I've not been to anything like this before and want to see what it's like, but getting there might be a bit of a problem as it would cost me £35 on the train.

What sort of exclusive merchandise is there usually? I've not been able to find any examples of things from previous years.

Mikeside

I'm still trying to decide if i should go to this while there are some tickets left. I've not been to anything like this before. It would cost me £35 on the train though.

What sort of exclusive merchandise is there usually? I've not been able to find any examples of things from previous years.

I don't think I've seen anything exclusive other than EGX branded shirts

Remember to PM me your numbers to be added to the GAF EGX Whatsapp group so we can arrange meetups etc on the day

Volotaire

I'm still trying to decide if i should go to this while there are some tickets left. I've not been to anything like this before. It would cost me £35 on the train though.

In terms of freebies:

At Rezzed I received a code for an indie game because I bought tickets. A code for Rome Total War 2 complete.

At EGX last year, I received a code for a random Devolver game and a code for Toki Tori and other assortment games.

Pin badges, a box hat, Pikachu hat, etc.

In terms of exclusive merchandise, I think stalls will be selling identical goods to what they sell at London Comic Con.

Hyu

Neo Member
I will be there everyday but probably won't play anything except some indie games.
Never been to EGX before but I guess queues will be horrible even though I have early entry tickets.

Mikeside

I've just seen some really cool fulton keyrings that I think are being given out for MGS at TGS.

I really hope we get those

Sparse

My 5 player Wii U game Aperion Cyberstorm will be there, so it'd be cool to see a few gaffers give it a go! :)

Mikeside

Will this be the first proper(public) showing of TOTALWAR: Warhammer ?

Cant wait for this to hit

I think it might be.

Creative Assembly announced a new game a couple of years ago at an EGX conference, so I guess they're fairly big fans of the show.

Sparse

Deal. In return, I want you to give me some inside information on where to get the cool swag this year.

Commencing Operation: Sneaky Swag Scope-out.
ace-ventura-sneaking-o.gif

MouldyK

My 5 player Wii U game Aperion Cyberstorm will be there, so it'd be cool to see a few gaffers give it a go! :)

Read the info on your site for the game...

...i'll be there right after I check out the first big game for the 1st Day.

Be warned: I'm prone to spending 1-2 Hours at Indie Games I like, just ask Coaster Crazy in 2013 and Big Pharma in 2014...and Table Tennis Touch at Rezzed.

So I hope you have more than 1 Console Set-Up or i'm gonna have to be kicked off it.

Mikeside

Be warned: I'm prone to spending 1-2 Hours at Indie Games I like, just ask Coaster Crazy in 2013 and Big Pharma in 2014...and Table Tennis Touch at Rezzed.

So I hope you have more than 1 Console Set-Up or i'm gonna have to be kicked off it.

Now he'll know if you don't like the game, silly.

Big Pharma was awesome last year - I've got the pre-release. So much fun.

Sparse

Big Pharma was awesome last year - I've got the pre-release. So much fun.

Noiiice. :) One set up, but if you're gone in 5 minutes it'll be sad times. :(

MouldyK

Then that'll be the cue for him to just scrap his life project and make a better game! :D

Also, Big Pharma is out fully on Steam I think now.

But seriously, i'm the type of person to sit there and spend a good amount on a game if no-one else is playing it...

...unless Xbox are giving away more Xbox One T-Shirts. I only got 3 Last Year (had to give one to my brother, so only got 2 now) and I can't shill for them unless I have 7 Minimum!

Paganmoon

Does the EGX ticket give you access to the Gfinity CS:GO tournament as well? Gfinity's site says "tickets are not on sale yet" but it's less than 2 weeks away now.

Mikeside

I can't believe how late they're leaving it for PS VR appointments.

I think it's pretty lame that you have to book an appointment at all tbh, but I'm paranoid I'm going to miss my chance.

Winterbones

Neo Member
For the first time ever I can't make EGX :( So having to sell my tickets. I've 2x 4 Day Superpass (both are on the same ticket) If anyone is interested DM me. Really don't want them going to waste. Bought for £120 but happy to let them go for £60 all in

2x 4 Day Superpass for sale

AHA-Lambda

I'm getting a little worried tbh now, maybe it's to do with the change in venue (NEC doesn't seem to be as big as Earl's Court from memory to me) but it's next week and dev sessions are still unannounced, the vr signup isn't up, and the AAA lineup to me looks weaker than other years with little for 2016 titles.

Mikeside

I'm getting a little worried tbh now, maybe it's to do with the change in venue (NEC doesn't seem to be as big as Earl's Court from memory to me) but it's next week and dev sessions are still unannounced, the vr signup isn't up, and the AAA lineup to me looks weaker than other years with little for 2016 titles.

There's only 5 dev sessions unannounced, though I admit it IS cutting it pretty close.

VIVE signup is live, I doubt you'll have to signup for Oculus & PSVR signup is in the hands of Sony, so I wouldn't worry about that as anything indicative of issues with the show itself.

I'm not sure I agree about a weak AAA lineup, can you think of a lot of high profile games that aren't going to be there?
I kind of feel like we got spoiled at E3 with a lot of VERY early announcements for games that will push back to the end of 2016 and into 2017 which is why they won't be playable here.

Top Bottom