• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EGX 2015: VR Year!!

AHA-Lambda

Wait, how exactly does the Vive thing work? You queue for a time?

Sounds like if you don't have an early ticket you're sol. I'm only early on Sunday but that's when my PSVR is.

Astrates

I won't be, see above :p Just trying the Morpheus and don't feel like rushing in on Sunday for it.

I'll post my Morpheus impressions though :)

In the time queuing for Battlefront I have evidently lost my ability to read...

I'll be trying Morpheus and posting too.

Astrates

The WiFi at least is actually working, makes this Division queue easier to stomach.

I have pretty solid 4G with no hold up from EE. Definitely seems better than EC. Used to be a nightmare trying to get signal. Waiting to hear if I have a new job too so I'm glad for the signal haha.

Synth

What's the Oculus situation there? Seeing as both PlayStationVR and Vive have fallen through, I'm wondering if there's any decent opportunities for trying out the Rift. I only really have any interest in trying out VR, and would be making the trip from London, so me actually going pretty much hinges now on whether I'd be likely to try out the Rift on Sunday.

XaosWolf

Only seen one rift in the wild so far on a game called Crystal Rift.

Will be wondering around mostly today so I can see what I must visit and where they are exactly.

boswell22

Well I emailed EGX regarding my situation with getting a Vive slot at 10:30 when my ticket didn't give me entry till 11 and they mailed me back with 2 new tickets giving me entry 10.

Fantastic customer service, can't wait for the show.

AHA-Lambda

Apparently there's a few slots to grab early in the morning. There's supposed to be a unit on Nvidia's stall as well, maybe someone that was there today can confirm.

I don't like my chances, it sounds like you're screwed if you don't have an early ticket >_>

Only day I'm in early is Sunday and my PSVR slot is then.

Astrates

Apparently there's a few slots to grab early in the morning. There's supposed to be a unit on Nvidia's stall as well, maybe someone that was there today can confirm.

Definitely a Vive area at nVidias stand that includes the full kit.

Also Elite: Dangerous has one but you just use it for the view. Doesn't play with the controllers etc.

Dev session with Chet was interesting, poor guy sounded terrified though. He did say he will be at Vive stand most days.

Edit: I'm trying to go in early to get Vive space tomorrow.

Mideon

Played the Vive on Elite at the HTC stand used the proper joysticks, its very impressive but I can see long gaming sessions becoming uncomfortable. Its so amazing looking down at the virtual pilots hands matching your movements its mind blowing.

PS VR was really fun too, played the Battlezone demo the headset was really comfortable to wear, really impressed with it.

LoveCake

Only found out about this today, i only live a few miles away from the N.E.C & it's all sold out for the weekend :(

Sparse

Had a good day demoing Aperion today. Literally two booths from JODOROWSKY51 and De Mambo, haha (make sure to play it, btw!). May have to hunt down one of the Vault boy masks I see going around...

If you didn't play THUMPER or Megaton Rainfall, what is wrong with you? Flippin' incredible games.

kwh80vt.gif

The feel of the pulsing rhythm in your hands, the disturbing music, the razor sharp sound fx, and trippy visuals in THUMPER are to die for. Felt so good beating the final stage.

megaton_rainfall_space_to_ground_by_digi_matrix-d8hhitx.gif

Megaton Rainfall really is the Superman game that I never knew I wanted so much. The sense of speed and flying is unmatched. Took the dev 3 years to do it. The ground-to-space transitions are mindboggling. Took a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61orX7thbTA

CPsBO_hWwAA_nlQ.jpg

CPsBbXXWoAEFym0.jpg

CPsBc7NW8AAwSsZ.jpg

Void and Meddler was an angry and funny cyberpunk point-and-click adventure game. Props for the Demolition Man reference. The pixel art detail is stunning.

Eitr really is 2D Dark Souls, really pretty and great feedback although the isometric viewpoint makes it harder to line up attacks on the right plane. The electric modifier when dual wielding axe+sword really reminded me of Bloodborne.

BbqqKUA.gif

Kept on getting lost in Memory of a Broken Dimension (no dev at hand) but man are the glitch particle fx showers real purdy!

CPr_-5gWcAESnSq.jpg

CPsAFJRWcAADAhm.jpg

CPsALq8WwAAnv4S.jpg

CPsAUgVWcAAYuw0.jpg

Californium came out of nowhere! Love letter to Philip K Dick, by French devs. Fans of Jazzpunk, paranoia, drugs, and alternate dimensions should have this on their radar. Have to pay really close attention to environments, pretty much stand still, to notice anomalies that are hiding the triangles that unlock alternate dimensions and clues about the world. The TV talking to you reminded me of Matrix's conversations between Morpheus and Neo.

twin_souls_by_agb_gifs-d7msrne.gif

Finally got to try my hands on Twin Souls Path of Shadows (youtube), one of my most anticipated games as I'm a big Tenchu fan. Spent an hour with it cause I wanted to kill everyone without getting spotted! Been a while since there has been a 3D ninja stealth game. Loved it. The shadow mechanic is brilliant and pretty dynamic, so it's fun to mess around with. Any minor niggles I mentioned to the developer, David Leon, who I had a long great chat with. Like not enough shadows on rooftops from where you want to do DFAs from. Stuff about stealth game mechanics, The Swindle vs Invisible Inc, little suggestions, the focus on a minimalist UI like Dead Space, and he explained in detail how development progress has been going since the student version. There might be another name change as I told him before on Twitter that twin souls gives you hippie new age results :p Hope the final release turns out to be excellent. He told and showed me extra top secret stuff, that look absolutely bonkers if done right on launch day. Still another year of dev time.

EpicBox

I went to EGX today.

Stuff I liked:

Mirror's Edge Catalyst.
This game is a big improvement over the first one. The open world structure seems great. Reflections always match the environments too, which is nice. You can see Faith's reflection in things too.

Just Cause 3
Pretty much Just Cause 2 with more polish and everything amped up a level. Plus I think the voice acting will be better this time.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate
It feels very similar to Unity, but in a good way. The framerate was low as fuck on PS4 though.

Some great indie games:

RPG Tycoon
It's literally a cross between tycoon style games and fantasy RPGs. You manage a kingdom and send heroes off to complete quests. It's full of witty humour also.

Aaero
Spaceship shooting with dubstep. That's how to describe this game in 4 words. It's a sleek little music and rhythm game that is very addictive.

I also tried Oculus Rift for the first time. Can't say I like it too much. The screen resolution is too low - you can see all the pixels right there in your face. Plus using it for a few minutes made my forehead sweat heavily. Some of the games using it were pretty neat though.

There was one game I REALLY did NOT like. And that is a satirical game called Not CoD. It's a side-scrolling shoot-em-up with scribbled cartoon graphics. It features a level called No Rushing. You play as a Muslim terrorist who cross dresses to infiltrate an area and starts shooting everyone. If there's a joke here, it didn't land with me. There was also a level where you play as an actual soldier, but there didn't seem to be any real point to it.

Astrates

You really have to run to get a spot or turn up really early.

My brother has a place so I'm hoping got good feedback from him.

Edit: My brother was not impressed. 5 minutes session and it was on Elite Dangerous which is across from the booth with no bookings anyway. He said he found it blurry despite adjustments.

I'm disappointed they didn't show him the Portal experience.

Hopefully some of you have a better experience.

Nuborn

Pretty sure I got one of the last solo slots for vive today, kinda feel sorry for the group in front of me that let me get it.

Mikeside

I've had a good two days but I think I'm done. So I've got a Sunday early entry for sale of anybody wants it for £15? Pm me

Never even heard back for Morpheus, didn't get a vive appointment... Really isn't much to do tomorrow when I go. I look forward to the huge queues. I might just hang about the indie stands.

Astrates

Just arrived in Birmingham :D

How is EGX going?

Enjoying it so far. Only a few more games I want to play so I can check them off the list tomorrow.

Busier than ever though and going to be worse over next few days. Wish I'd had the same idea as many others to bring fold up chairs.

Top Bottom