• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: Nintendo Working on Unannounced Wii U Game [Update: Paper Mario]

Eh, could be good. At it's base, a toad is as interesting as a goomba imo. It's what you do with it. Goombella was a good partner imo.

I would agree, but with Paper Mario, we don't know if it's traditional or anything. That's the life we have. we can only dream.

1. I'm just trolling on Toad :v

2. I was saying that in hopes that maybe, just maybe, that poster would reply with what came after that scene, where he jumps back in through the window

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Hopefully they do away with this 'no original characters' mandate they've been doing with PM/M&L lately. Original characters and locations were some of those series' best points.

Fawfulthegreat64

Neo Member
I hope to God it's got original characters and a good story. To me gameplay isn't as much of a concern, since all four games played fine to me. Sticker Star was awful because it introduced a whopping one new character and otherwise only used main series characters. Paper Jam was the same way, just replacing Kersti with the equally annoying Starlow.

But at the rate they're going I wouldn't be surprised if they once again used a plot that involves Mario traveling across grasslands, deserts, forests, jungles, and snow worlds to get to Bowser's fiery castle and save Peach while Bowser inevitably gets bigger for the final phase of the battle. I've heard the Koopalings will be in this too, not a good sign IMO.

Please please please either have a new villain or return an old one like Dimentio or the X-Nauts. Or...maybe... just maybe.... Paper Fawful....

Fat Goron

Hey Mario, lets have a fun Adventure!

Also, I HUNGER FOR THE BLOOD OF MY BROTHERS.

Less sadistic and more like the subversion of enemy tropes we've come to expect from the Paper Mario series.

We also need a fedora Shy Guy, opera singer Chargin' Chuck and astronaut Rex,

Mory Dunz

Hopefully they do away with this 'no original characters' mandate they've been doing with PM/M&L lately. Original characters and locations were some of those series' best points.

It's weird that this has to be said...

but bring back Kammy.

I mean, she's not a show stealer or anything. But she was created in Paper Mario. So why have paper mario without her...? Seems weird, like a lot of decisions.

Wow. The Thousand Year Door is my favorite RPG of all time and I can't actually get excited by the announcement of a new Paper Mario. You fucked up somewhere, IS.

sheaaaa

I, and I think most people, disagree with that.

I think you and most people are terribly wrong!

Really liked Sticker Star myself, but I went into it expecting nothing. Was bowled over by the charm and uniqueness of it; wasn't bothered one bit by lack of story.

I think you and most people are terribly wrong!

Really liked Sticker Star myself, but I went into it expecting nothing. Was bowled over by the charm and uniqueness of it; wasn't bothered one bit by lack of story.

1. No story
2. Like one unique character
3. Battles are worthless
4. The game actively punishes you for using stickers in battle
5. Bosses don't utilize skill or strategy, it's about having the right stickers

Social

I loved all Paper Mario games so far. The Wii one was a bit heavy on text, but still liked it a lot. I played Sticker Star from start to finish with my wife watching, she loved it too :).

Very happy to get s wiiU one, the gamepad could be used in a lot of fun ways for a Paper Mario game.

CronoShot

True sequel to TTYD pls.

Even though I actually did enjoy Super and Sticker Star (and will get M&L eventually), the gimmicky shit is getting old. TTYD is one of my favorite games of all time.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Yes! Looking forward to a redemption of the series. I even really loved Super Paper Mario, it was only Sticker Star that was garbage.

I don't care until I see them go back to the classic Paper Mario format. The last Paper Mario game was garbage and I don't want another Super Paper Mario game, Nintendo has enough platformers, changing one of their RPGs into another platformer makes no sense.

Ahnez

Currently being localized what? They must be pretty far along, holy shit.

Well.. Nintendo usually doesn't reveal games until very close to their planned release date. Only huge games like Zelda or Smash Bros usually are revealed more than a year before release

Nice, hope it's true.

Didn't hate any of the games. Sticker Star still managed to be enjoyable to me despite its faults, though I do hope for a return to the original style like the first 2, with new elements to help it stand on its own of course.

Whatever you do, just make it great, IS. That's all I ask.

Madao

well, i was right. no Metroid or F-Zero.

but i feel like this is gonna be a short game, even if it's an RPG like the first 2.

jnWake

People expecting something like Mario & Luigi Paper Jam in terms of asset reusage shouldn't worry since there's no Wii U title they could pull assets off. Now, that doesn't mean the game will include thousands of new characters or anything but it literally can't do what Paper Jam did.

Joei

True sequel to TTYD pls.

Even though I actually did enjoy Super and Sticker Star (and will get M&L eventually), the gimmicky shit is getting old. TTYD is one of my favorite games of all time.

I never played the portable games, and I wasn't a huge fan of SPM, but TTYD is classic goodness. I'm pretty stoked to see what they can do with the gamepad and how they could integrate Amiibos into a Paper Mario game and hope they go back to the original Paper Mario formula in terms of gameplay.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
What type of Paper Mario are we talking here? Paper Mario 1 and 2? Super? The terribleness of Sticker Star? "Paper Mario" means a lot these days.

That said, holding back a Paper Mario announcement until after Paper Jam releases does make sense.

Mory Dunz

Well.. Nintendo usually doesn't reveal games until very close to their planned release date. Only huge games like Zelda or Smash Bros usually are revealed more than a year before release

Or Sticker Star lol.
that game was shown really early...

That said, holding back a Paper Mario announcement until after Paper Jam releases does make sense.

yeah, that gives me hope that it's near completion and is a 2016 title. If they announced both this and Paper Jam at E3, it could've taken attention from that game.
So hopefully the game has been in development for a while.

If it either:

1) Has any Miyamoto influence with that NSMB shit destroying all of the soul and creativity of the worlds and characters

2) Is an amiibo game like that horrible Animal Crossing amiibo Festival

I'm not interested. Sticker Star was bitterly, bitterly disappointing. It completely destroyed the franchise in my opinion.

Even though Paper Mario used to be one of my favorite franchises (A Thousand Year Door is one of my all-time favorite games), I refuse to give it a chance if it follows Nintendo's new development mantra.

TreIII

I have loved the Koopalings forever. I raged hard when they were not included in Mario Maker.

If they feature prominently in this game I don't care how fucking bad it is I'm buying it day 1.

It would be funny if the hints that were dropped in
Paper Jam
were at all leading to the notion we'd see them here.

Top Bottom