• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FFXV's future updates adjust chapters, add cutscenes, add playable characters, more

jiggle

Are you fucking kidding me?! I've taken a few days break from the game to do other stuff and was ready to jump back in and now I'm basically being told by Square-Enix "Don't." I'm only up to chapter 5, how long am I suppose to wait for these patches, 6 months? I guess I shouldn't have dropped $60 on this because by the time I'm able to play it the way it's "suppose" to be it's probably going to be half-price or more.
The short and mid term stuff are not gonna drastically change the experience

I don't really think it needs to be spoiler tagged but:

Chapter
~13~
is the bad one.

Chapter
~09~
is where you should stop and do side quests, where you have the most things open to you without being in the post game.

Ha! Just got to chapter 9. I'm so glad I saw this lol. I've done a LOT of side quests though, burned out a bit.
About to get the Trophy for doing 80

ZeroX03

Banned
Ha! Just got to chapter 9. I'm so glad I saw this lol. I've done a LOT of side quests though, burned out a bit.
About to get the Trophy for doing 80

Stack up every quest you can, then use
the 3x EXP boost at Altissa!
Probably not much left for you at this point though until the post game stuff unlocks unfortunately.

What chapter?

I'm in chapter 3

See:

I don't really think it needs to be spoiler tagged but:

Chapter
~13~
is the bad one.

Chapter
~09~
is where you should stop and do side quests, where you have the most things open to you without being in the post game.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
If you think about it, if they play their cards right and patch it well with the right cutscenes explaining the story much more properly, it could be a really great game because the major issue of this game was the lacking content. Subjective or not, the story had a lot of potential, it just wasn't fleshed out.

Now if we compare it to FFXIII, that game is complete and the story is set. Adding cutscenes via patches won't help the game's convoluted story.

Ray Down

Banned
NG+ should be short term. Is it hard to just let people restart with all the shit they unlocked sans story-related things?

It is Tabata said last week it will come with the Holiday pack.

Tabata also spoke about the free “Holiday Pack” downloadable content. It’s due out before the end of the year, and will implement “New Game Plus” and a “Level Cap Creation Feature.”

http://gematsu.com/2016/12/final-fantasy-xv-yosuke-matsuda-boss-battle-planned-downloadable-content

If you think about it, if they play their cards right and patch it well with the right cutscenes explaining the story much more properly, it could be a really great game because the major issue of this game was the lacking content. Subjective or not, the story had a lot of potential, it just wasn't fleshed out.

Now if we compare it to FFXIII, that game is complete and the story is set. Adding cutscenes via patches won't help the game's convoluted story.
I have to agree with this and I wanted to think of a scenario where they could have fleshed out the story more.

The damage is done and those who don't like the game won't like it, no matter how many updates it gets. But those of us who loved it will definitely find it tempting to replay once more scenes are added.

Jarmel

Banned

If they rewrote and fixed the story and added in a second major open-world segment, it could actually end up being a great game.

Tyaren

As somebody that is on a media blackout and won't be playing FFXV for awhile, I'm kinda concerned about this. Are they gonna water down the difficulty of a chapter?

I can't read the link cuz spoilers. Plz help me GAF.

No, it's not about the difficulty, it's about making the chapter bearable. It's terrible, honestly. Too boring, too long, too arduous. More powerful ring magic might fix some of that and cut the time you spend in there by nearly 1/3.

jimmypython

well to be completely fair it is not new to see an "enhanced" version of a mainline FF game.

The "International" version of FF games has been a tradition and they usually add a lot of stuff to the base game: FFX's new sphere board and super bosses etc etc, FFX-2's pokemon system and final dungeon etc etc, and the most famous FFXII's zodiac job system.

Not to mention the "final mix" version of KH games, which adds cutscenes and a ton of extra stuff too.

The key difference this time is the road map shows how they are going to fix, not just to add stuff to, the game.

Gemeanie

Let Nomura make his VERSUS epic, without telling ppl there are more to come. We got a more complete game that is FFXV. It also shipped 5m. The team announced to continue to support with XV-2.
That'll probably mean we will never see a new FF and KH main game until our grandchildren are old enough to play the 30th entry of Dragon Quest

rhandino

Banned
The fix of Chapter 13 is giving me vibes of that time FromSoft "fixed" Lost Izalith and the area remained trahs but this time instead of frustrating slog it became a boring slog.

Too late. I'm already done with the game story and I won't be replaying it.
Chapter
has other problems and has nothing to do with the
ring

LiK

The worst thing about Chapter 13 was they actually wasted time on that area and mechanics. Could've been so much better. Guess we'll what they change.

LOLCats

Banned
Im kinda like wtf. I just picked it up this week and hadn't started yet. Now im like, just let it sit there on the shelf? I paid 32$ for it. Sounds like i should have waited to 14.99$

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Long term goals
Allow the important characters that appeared in the story to be playable. Also currently determining if they will add an avatar system in the game, where you can create your own character.
Just stop.

eh I guess yeah it should be in from the start and that sucks for fans that power through it and now will have the lesser experience. I just literally played the tutorial and then the first 3 minutes and saved at first moment you can, so I'll just wait a bit till that section is tweaked better to play through it.

Honestly, I wish Bethesda would go back through Fallout 4 and fix that design by adding more quest choices other than "shoot everything in the face".

if you're not going through side stuff much, how long is the main game anyways?

The worst thing about Chapter 13 was they actually wasted time on that area and mechanics. Could've been so much better. Guess we'll what they change.
Look like they will adjust some of the ring magic so it is more powerful. This might make it less of a slog but the chapter is definitely longer than it should have been.

Stack up every quest you can, then use
the 3x EXP boost at Altissa!
Probably not much left for you at this point though until the post game stuff unlocks unfortunately.

See:

Time to Fish. I LOVE the fishing, not sure if I'm in the minority with that though.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Im kinda like wtf. I just picked it up this week and hadn't started yet. Now im like, just let it sit there on the shelf? I paid 32$ for it. Sounds like i should have waited to 14.99$

You can play the game normally, just make a backup save for Chapter 9 onwards and replay those. It doesn't take long to complete Chapter 9 till the end anyway.

What
Wait
Wait
What?

I have the game, I bought it on Day 1 but I haven't played it yet. I've been beating other games until then to make way for it so I won't be distracted.

Are you saying I shouldn't touch it until this is done? Is it that bad? Whoa.

lol I'm doing the exact same thing.

Tales of Xillia last week, Shovel Knight the day before yesterday, AM2R today and now I'm almost finished with Uncharted 4. Doom is also half finished so I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and get that out of the way as well.

cuilan

I'm hoping NG+ includes a hard mode where all enemies are guaranteed to always be at least +10 levels higher. That plus any additional content would make a 2nd play-though quite appealing. The combat has really grown on me, and anything that would encourage the usage of all its subsystems would be very welcome. The combat really shines whenever I take on hunting quests that are well above my current level.

Another far less important change I'd like to see, is for them to redesign the pseudo-pinball minigame. It's mind-numbingly easy as it is right now.

I´m only 3 hours in and not going to continue now.

Can i get a done game when i buy it for once?

I wouldn't stop there. The game is really good. It's just the last few chapters show that this game has a good story but the game hit a budget in time to show it. I really think that is the case.

Kieli

Dayum, hearing some pretty bad things about this chapter 13.

I'm 4 hours into the game, and still in chapter 1 derping around Hammerhead and the nearby towns.

Disclaimer: Ch 13 isn't the end of the world. You can still beat the game without this patch and leave satisfied—many people have.

If you can wait, then wait. If you don't want to wait, then don't. It isn't the end of the world if you play it before this patch comes.

jiggle

Pretty impossible task to fix the story imo
Plus they are only focusing on 1 character

The fact they'd say this so soon after the release makes me think they knew that certain aspects of the game would not be well received a while back, but couldn't permit another delay.

The Aranea live stream confirmation also implies this IMO.

LiK

Look like they will adjust some of the ring magic so it is more powerful. This might make it less of a slog but the chapter is definitely longer than it should have been.

That would make sense. Why is it so damn weak anyway? Should've been a great feeling to using it.

golem

Is this part of the season pass or for everyone. Pretty impressed by the post-game support (although they probably should have got it right in the first place haha)

Ray Down

Banned
Disclaimer: Ch 13 isn't the end of the world. You can still beat the game without this patch and leave satisfied—many people have.

If you can wait, then wait. If you don't want to wait, then don't. It isn't the end of the world if you play it before this patch comes.

Hell I probably go through it again when the 60FPS patch lands.

Foffy

Banned

I mean, there's some point to it if they're planning online co-op.

I guess their intentions there might out the fact the main campaign will not be playable with this expansion, but something else altogether.

I can totally see them allowing you to create a character for a battle arena mode to play with others.

Top Bottom