• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Judgment Disc demo out now on JPSN & JP Xbox Store

Ristlager

For the people who have played played the demo, how is the monster density on the map? The biggest concern I have is that there is to much running about with nothing to do on the world map.

For the people who have played played the demo, how is the monster density on the map? The biggest concern I have is that there is to much running about with nothing to do on the world map.

At least in the demo, it's not nearly as dense as I'd like given that I'm enjoying the combat. But I suspect I'll be fine with it after 30+ hours.

Demo is kind of sparse but the full game will have much more to do. Don't go expecting tons of Ubisoft like spots. Think The Witcher but less monster nests.

Renmyra

Technically I'm clear to talk about anything that can be heard in the demo, but I don't want to get misquoted or start getting the wrong type of questions asked, heh.

The official OST preorder page says pretty much "Final Fantasy XV OST by Yoko Shimomura" but the amount of collaboration and contribution from others is significantly higher than past FF mainline entries, barring obvious 3-way splits like FFX.

Do you know what the latin lyrics in the Chapter 0 theme mean? My favorite theme btw. I'm kind of a sucker for bombastic themes like this one and Apocalypsis Noctis.

Tyaren

Monster mobs and single monsters are scarce, but this is just the demo. They've removed monsters, NPCs and quests in it.
One thing I'm not sure I will like is that you mostly don't see a sabretusk attack coming. A pack suddenly spawns near you to attack you. In Episode Duscae you could already spot them from some distance. I get that this feels more like a vicious ambush...but if they really spawn out of thin air instead of hiding somewhere, where you could or could not notice them before, that is really cheap.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Monster mobs and single monsters are scarce, but this is just the demo. They've removed monsters, NPCs and quests in it.
One thing I'm not sure I will like is that you mostly don't see a sabretusk attack coming. A pack suddenly spawns near you to attack you. In Duscae you could already spot them from some distance. I get that this feels more like a vicious ambush...but if they really spawn out of thin air instead of hiding somewhere, where you could or could not notice them before, that is really cheap.

Yeah a lot of stuff seems to spawn out of nowhere leaving the world feeling more empty as a result. It's weird for sure

Definitely agree about the way important loot appears on screen. It should be a chest.

Why a chest? Do you see chests in a modern sci-Fi Fantasy with 50' environmental aesthetic ? I don't know, it just seems to be too video game trope if you ask me. They should have put something more representative of the world than a treasure chest, like a back pack or the model of the object itself lying on the ground even so, that would have been sufficient.

Gbraga

Why a chest? Do you see chests in a modern sci-Fi Fantasy with 50' environmental aesthetic ? I don't know, it just seems to be too video game trope if you ask me. They should have put something more representative of the world than a treasure chest, like a back pack or the model of the object itself lying on the ground even so, that would have been sufficient.

Not any more video game trope than a small shiny dot being a Fire Greatsword :p

At least it's more visible and clear that it's an important item, and that's what matters. The object itself would be great, like the Greatsword buried halfway through the ground, that would be so cool.

They're clearly not willing to put too much effort into it, though.

Skulldead

I decide to give it a go(download right now), even if the combat look boring (at least i know this is easy mode) when i saw a level 12 team kill a level 42 big fire sword thing. But i'll try it for the overall experience, exploration and that great soundtrack. I can't believe they only have 13 days left to rush and correct upcoming major bug and unbalance...

LAA

Do you know what the latin lyrics in the Chapter 0 theme mean? My favorite theme btw. I'm kind of a sucker for bombastic themes like this one and Apocalypsis Noctis.

Wondering about the lyrics myself, hope it's found out soon.
Pretty much all of the music in this game is fantastic! Wouldn't be surprised if this won awards for it's music at all.

I decide to give it a go(download right now), even if the combat look boring (at least i know this is easy mode) when i saw a level 12 team kill a level 42 big fire sword thing. But i'll try it for the overall experience, exploration and that great soundtrack. I can't believe they only have 13 days left to rush and correct upcoming major bug and unbalance...

You have to assume this is a slightly older build tho. Tabata already said they've fixed some of the issues in this demo. Think about the work they've done since August. Assuming that they're at least a month ahead of this build (probably more) by the time the 29th rolls around, I think we'll be in good shape. They sound very committed to patching throughout the launch window also.

Logash

I'm in love with the menu theme...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPt6_iXo3fU

...and the Leide field theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGSLJqJ0Zn4

Unfortunately they didn't implement it that good. The chance that it gets interrupted is very high and then it starts again some time later instead of just continuing. :/

Leide field theme is one of my favorite tracks too. I wish it played more often. Also, the part where it gets a little hype is almost impossible to hear if you are just playing the game because the tracks cuts off too often.

Styles

Opening chests in Bloodborne felt so satisfying, even though most of them were fodder for Chalice dungeons. Still love it.

Opening chests in Bloodborne felt so satisfying, even though most of them were fodder for Chalice dungeons. Still love it.

Yeah chests are great. I much prefer them to pots and crates as well. The satisfying latch opening sound plays, the lid goes up, anticipation spikes, and then....

sasuke_91

Opening chests in Kingdom Hearts is really cool. I don't mind shiny dots, but it doesn't have the same appeal. You can use those for stuff like herbs and materials, but not for bigger items like weapons and accessory. Those need chests!

By the way, in what order should I tackle this? Brotherhood -> Kingslaive -> FF XV?

Gbraga

Yeah chests are great. I much prefer them to pots and crates as well. The satisfying latch opening sound plays, the lid goes up, anticipation spikes, and then....

Ritual Blood (2)

Opening chests in Kingdom Hearts is really cool. I don't mind shiny dots, but it doesn't have the same appeal. You can use those for stuff like herbs and materials, but not for bigger items like weapons and accessory. Those need chests!

By the way, in what order should I tackle this? Brotherhood -> Kingslaive -> FF XV?

Seems like a great order to me.

Especially because Brotherhood is better than Kingsglaive, but Kingsglaive is a lot more interesting if you're more invested in the world of FFXV. A lot of people couldn't deal with some of the rougher aspects of it, but as someone who has been following this game for such a long time, it was just a blast to see all of the things it hinted as being part of that universe.

sasuke_91

Cool, thanks.

I like FF XV's world. I tried staying away lately because I want the game's story to feel somewhat fresh, but all in all I'm quite interested.

Falk

that puzzling face
Do you know what the latin lyrics in the Chapter 0 theme mean?

Those specifically aren't in Latin.

...and the Leide field theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGSLJqJ0Zn4

Unfortunately they didn't implement it that good. The chance that it gets interrupted is very high and then it starts again some time later instead of just continuing. :/

Honestly I think the biggest gripe I have is that going into the menu also cuts it off - as in, exiting the menu drops you back into silence.

wait for release day

Burbeting

Banned

Honestly I think the biggest gripe I have is that going into the menu also cuts it off - as in, exiting the menu drops you back into silence.

wait for release day

This definitely bothered me. The field theme playing was already very rare occurence, and going to the menu/battle during it playing would mean losing it once again.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Oh man. Are those imps in the sewer dungeon? They look just like adult versions of the imps from World of Final Fantasy.

Been trying to resist playing this demo. The game's less than 2 weeks away afterall. I've spent so much in preparation. Got a Pro. Got a new TV table stand. Getting my 4K TV today and now just waiting and hoping that my mounting swivel replacement (The one that came with my TV stand was crooked) arrives before the game comes out.

Geg

There's a special reason for it. Lips sealed.

image.php

In the demo, the monster density is definitely an issue during the day time at. Hopefully since demo content is cut down, that becomes far less of an issue in the main game.

The density seems fine at night given that stronger monsters that spawn and the visibility being cut down.

Edit: Thinking back to the Duscae demo, the monster scarcity might be fine as is if there was more wildlife sort of hanging out in the background like there was in Duscae. But as it is, it truly does feel like a barren desert at times.

Geg

Also I wish there was a way for them to rip music from the cutscenes or something but apparently there isn't. I wanna hear a more full version of Ardyn's theme

In the demo, the monster density is definitely an issue during the day time at. Hopefully since demo content is cut down, that becomes far less of an issue in the main game.

The density seems fine at night given that stronger monsters that spawn and the visibility being cut down.

Edit: Thinking back to the Duscae demo, the monster scarcity might be fine as is if there was more wildlife sort of hanging out in the background like there was in Duscae. But as it is, it truly does feel like a barren desert at times.
Could this also be a result of the game being on easy? Or would that not matter? Episode duscae had a good balance of enemies throughout during the day and hell I'd argue it was too much at night

Quick question (I've been away trying to avoid media) but,

Did we hear anything whether the Judgment Disc Demo is the final build that will be out on 11.29?

Also, I was comparing the lighting in Episode Duscae and the Judgment Disc, and while ED was more blurry, it had better lighting I thought. But we all knew that? I will have to compare Duscae when the game comes out...

artsi

Holy shit a night at Galdin Quay is expensive. I thought I'd reap all the EXP I could when I killed bandersnatch, but 10000 gil?

Ain't nobody got money for that!

(I'm still saving money doing mob hunts because I really want that sweet 2x EXP)

Top Bottom