• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Judgment Disc demo out now on JPSN & JP Xbox Store

17vqteZ.png

Rolling it up!

Lol!

Wait... seriously, is that real or just an edit?

What Falk said, and some of these players really don't care to use their companions and just try to play like it's a character action game. You can do a lot of stuff with the three other guys, especially considering they provide three unique abilities to your disposal.

https://twitter.com/PersonaRei/status/797283346363469824

Yeah, if you don't take care of your party you're going to end up fighting alone.

If you enter fights with low max HP because your party members have been getting downed alot then you're just going to go down even faster due to having less HP to work with.

It's easier to just try and keep them healthy versus waiting till they get downed to heal them.

That's why I'm going to be looking into what kind of healing magic you can get with the mixing system.

I know you can get a cure spell but if there's cure magic that can heal your whole party I'm going to be all over that in addition to finding decent ways to stockpile whole party curative items. Ignis' Regroup skill is also a skill based solution to healing.

Another thing to note here is you can see the party use their Deathblow/Fatal Strike skills once the Bandersnatch has been downed. They only use these when the enemy is in a vulnerable position and they do a lot of damage.

sn00zer

Kinda feel like this game would have heavily benefited from wholesale stealing DmC's combat. Very similar in some regards. Also put in another few hours into Judgement, combat is still pretty bad, creature design is still great.

EDIT: I think all in all Ive spent aroun 8 to 10 hr in FFXV between Duscae, Platinum, and Judgement. Combat system is just not great, its a very sluggish action game at best, but they muthaFUCKING NAILED the awe and wonder of being in a Final Fantasy game. One of the few games I've played where the excitement of being in a fantasy world is reflected by the characters.

piggychan

Looks much better than P demo but goddamn the framerate is beyond terrible! it dips as fuck even with a few small enemies engaged... it's super shitty for a FF so actiony, this ain't your normal atb ff
poor OGPS4 players (like me, lol) and I can't imagine what it'll be on Xbone but prolly not pretty

well it certainly has a very soft blurry look to it which and at time quite pixelly.. but when you are fighting that foliage just gets annoying when it blocks the view.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Digichan2006/video/23590601

Rp5L4Ef.gif

gsBHYfP.gif

VxiQelR.gif

Not sure if beating enemies like the Bandersnatch will be as feasible on normal mode. Easy mode apparently decreases enemy attributes and increases Wait Mode usage time x10. Easy mode Bandersnatch already 2 shots you so I imagine the normal mode one will just take you out in one hit?

Also someone is making moveset videos.

Spear

One-handed Sword

I haven't used the spear at all yet but the sword covers the stuff I mentioned before with the exception that you can airstep with the side slash (O + Left/Right).

Hopefully he puts out more of these to help people who have no idea what each weapon can do.

wmlk

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Kinda feel like this game would have heavily benefited from wholesale stealing DmC's combat. Very similar in some regards. Also put in another few hours into Judgement, combat is still pretty bad, creature design is still great.

EDIT: I think all in all Ive spent aroun 8 to 10 hr in FFXV between Duscae, Platinum, and Judgement. Combat system is just not great, its a very sluggish action game at best, but they muthaFUCKING NAILED the awe and wonder of being in a Final Fantasy game. One of the few games I've played where the excitement of being in a fantasy world is reflected by the characters.
Really? I think the combat is the star of the show here.

I say it in every thread (I've probably said it in this thread), but it isn't an action game. Reading it as "sluggish" seems to imply that you're going into it craving instant response action gaming. But that isn't what they're going for, and it sounds more like personal expectation rather than the fault of the game itself.

They made a system that is not a direct input action game that relies on finger dexterity (like Bayonetta), but rather mental dexterity. You are quickly making decisions quickly and the visual action looks like Bayonetta, but it isn't placing the same burden on you to respond with complex and rapid button presses. The benefit of this is that should free you up to think more about high-level strategy rather than quick reflexes. It's what tilts it toward being RPG rather than button mashing.

I'm loving the combat, anyway. Actually it's the main thing I'm excited for at this late moment before release, because I've reached the point where I'm not that convinced the story or environment will be the second coming.

Fou-Lu

They made a system that is not a direct input action game that relies on finger dexterity (like Bayonetta), but rather mental dexterity. You are quickly making decisions quickly and the visual action looks like Bayonetta, but it isn't placing the same burden on you to respond with complex and rapid button presses. The benefit of this is that should free you up to think more about high-level strategy rather than quick reflexes. It's what tilts it toward being RPG rather than button mashing.

This is a perfect explanation of the battle system.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
New boss in JD with a short cutscene in Sewers with new boss music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpDl5-Vp6Ts

They had the best boss theme in the series's history with Omnis Lacrima, and they ended up replacing it with all of these insipid, boring themes. This is even worse than the big Magitek armor guy's boss theme. Boss looks fantastic, and the atmosphere is amazing but man...the music sucks so damn much in the boss encounters.

I say it in every thread (I've probably said it in this thread), but it isn't an action game. Reading it as "sluggish" seems to imply that you're going into it craving instant response action gaming. But that isn't what they're going for, and it sounds more like personal expectation rather than the fault of the game itself.

I'm loving the combat, anyway. Actually it's the main thing I'm excited for at this late moment before release, because I've reached the point where I'm not that convinced the story or environment will be the second coming.

Initially I thought it was strange considering how third person realtime games involving melee combat usually have you press individually for each attack but after spending a good amount of time with a few different weapons I no longer feel that the hold to attack is an issue.

The game is pursuing its own variation of third person action combat nuzzled within a party setting. My sister isn't a fan of a action games like DMC so I think the solution they've implemented here will allow her to enjoy the game without requiring high execution in order to proceed.

The challenge and depth is there for those of us who want to take on tougher enemies and generally style on them after learning the movesets of the various weapons and how to incorporate them against different enemies in addition to other systems like magic, link attacks, techniques, etc.

I love this explanation. And will reference it every time the combat system needs explaining.

They had the best boss theme in the series's history with Omnis Lacrima, and they ended up replacing it with all of these insipid, boring themes. This is even worse than the big Magitek armor guy's boss theme. Boss looks fantastic, and the atmosphere is amazing but man...the music sucks so damn much in the boss encounters.

I like the fact that they aren't relying solely on Omnis Lacrima for every special enemy encounter. Have more music pieces gives different vibes for different battles.

Nice, mental dexterity vs manual dexterity - just so! I've tried to make the same point in multiple threads but never phrased it so clearly. Holding to attack or defend frees you up to try and consider the whole battlefield, your partners, enemy placement, warp points, and then smoothly move between locations and offense and defense. Of course it won't appeal to everyone, but it's a nice followup to XII's and XIII's systems.

We've gone from considering strategy in the abstract then watching it play out with occasional tactical tweaks, to tactically flipping through different canned strategies in real time, to directly implementing tactical decision making in real time. It's more immediate than XII and XIII, but still not so reactive as straight up action.

Whatever my issues with the stories in XII and XIII (and I have many), I found both battle systems extremely fresh, and I'm hoping XV will deliver on that front again, wherever else it falls short. Of course, like Tabata, these less manually demanding systems may appeal to me in part because I'm not getting younger (and rheumatism is a bitch).

It's like Batman that's the best way I can describe it

Socivol

Just got my Pro today and played it on there. It plays so much more smoothly on my Pro then it did on my original PS4 and it's not loud as hell while playing either.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It's like Batman that's the best way I can describe it

Hmmmmmm... Batman has a character launching into automated combos, so I know why you'd say that. But I think that's a very accidental similarity. The way they arrived at the system is completely different.

Batman is an attempt to make button mashy brawling look cool by including automated flourishes and parries. XV is an attempt to bring RPG selections completely into real time. You're still "choosing" options as in an old RPG like fight, dodge, magic, but they're mapped to face buttons instead of being selections on a menu.

It all happens so quickly and plays out in real time that people tend to see this as some kind of action game or Batman-style autobattle action game, but I don't think it's the intention. At least, you will surely have multitudes more options at a given time than a Batman battle system.

Maybe as you decrease the input window in an RPG, it's similarity to pure action games increases.

Mailbox

I've posted this already, but no one seems to notice in every video i see, and my god that makes me miffed a lil. One thing i REALLY like about ff15 is one little bit of streamlining that makes me question why more devs don't do this:

If you are near a point of interest, be it a draw point, a person talking, a fishing point
u9JB6V.png
or just something random
lFEzCb.png
, even a random pick up or treasure or whatever, so long as that signal is up, you don't have to go up to that point.

Hold the interact button (in this case, O (idk about the final NA game)) and Noct will automatically walk upto and interact with said object.

Elevation limits this a tad for some objects, but this little quality of life tweak makes collecting the minerals and ingredients (which are normally in 3's) so much easier, and also makes talking to people and diner owners painless.

My opinion will probably be unpopular, but I find this game to be kinda ugly. Textures are muddy and flat. It doesn't look very modern. The lighting saves the day, but it's a shame the lighting is wasted on bad textures and soft iq.

Music is god tier. Gameplay is fun; wish i could actually sink my teeth into it without the language barrier.

The car shit is kinda annoying. It feels pointless to me.

My opinion will probably be unpopular, but I find this game to be kinda ugly. Textures are muddy and flat. It doesn't look very modern. The lighting saves the day, but it's a shame the lighting is wasted on bad textures and soft iq.

Music is god tier. Gameplay is fun; wish i could actually sink my teeth into it without the language barrier.

The cliffs and mountains do look back. Really blurry. The only other thing I don't like about the visuals is the hair.

Soriku

I've heard Omnis Lacrima long enough, and it's still present for major encounters. I like hearing all these different battle themes.

Btw the graphics and detail improve a lot with HDR. You can see a huge increase in detail with those big bushes/tree things with it on.

Mailbox

Which console are you playing on? Even on lightweight ps4pro i saw no issues with textures (the rocks are procedurally textured, so far stuff can be weird for sure), but stuff like buildings, characters, effects, etc are ace imo :S Game isn't really soft for me either (on lightweight). If you are on Xbox One, that would explain the softness.

Watch the Eurogamer video they did recently (it goes further than the demo ended). Lets just say they regretted not using their car at one point :p.
Or better yet, walk from Galdin to hammerhead. Its quite the boring trek.

Aters

Pretty sure its because it just became a guess thread for the meta-score and off topic.

Guessing score in the embargo date thread is off topic? GAF's standard for on or off topic is pretty weird, not to mention the trend was started by a mod. That said, throwing scores around without any actual bet does seem meaningless.

Which console are you playing on? Even on lightweight ps4pro i saw no issues with textures (the rocks are procedurally textured, so far stuff can be weird for sure), but stuff like buildings, characters, effects, etc are ace imo :S Game isn't really soft for me either (on lightweight). If you are on Xbox One, that would explain the softness.

Watch the Eurogamer video they did recently (it goes further than the demo ended). Lets just say they regretted not using their car at one point :p.
Or better yet, walk from Galdin to hammerhead. Its quite the boring trek.

PS4 Pro. HQ setting. Turned it to LQ and still got the same softness. I'm playing on a 55" 4ktv that's been calibrated to rtings settings. Also playing with hdr on.

Mailbox

Guessing score in the embargo date thread is off topic? GAF's standard for on or off topic is pretty weird, not to mention the trend was started by a mod. That said, throwing scores around without any actual bet does seem meaningless.

It has probably more to do with the fact it was a numbers/guess thread. Same reason list threads aren't allowed :p

PS4 Pro. HQ setting. Turned it to LQ and still got the same softness. I'm playing on a 55" 4ktv that's been calibrated to rtings settings. Also playing with hdr on.

That's bizarre :S
Then again, i'm using a 1080p tv, so I get a supersampled image.

Top Bottom