• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Tomb Raider Movie Poster

jelly

Resident Evil also looked bad but was successful, you never know what audiences flock too. It looks like that type of action mixed with a fake as hell James Bond UK set location.

From the thread in OT, lol

xnUL0vH.gif

tracca

Neo Member
Holy shit, the bow is one of her main weapons and they didn’t even teach her how to use one for the movie? I’ll give it the benefit of the doubt that maybe it was just a clip cut short.
Really? I would think this is from a scene like "Lara finds a bow and tries it for the first time ever"? It is a reboot after all.

Basketball

Wow everything about this movie is just wack

The actress selection
the poster
the teasers

looks like some scifi channel stuff

That will be amazing when it is finished in like 10 years.

. The demo came out this month, with an expected release for either the end of this year or next year.
. There's also hundreds and hundreds of levels being made still to this day using classic Lara formula.
. The 90s/00s classic CCG has made a recent revival.
. Tomb Raider Suite - by original composer Nathan McCree - recently successfully Kickstarted and expected to release in the coming months.

Totally dead dude, yeah.

BadWolf

Really? I would think this is from a scene like "Lara finds a bow and tries it for the first time ever"? It is a reboot after all.

Don't know if you've played the reboot but she's more of a "brutal murderer released into the wild for the first time ever" there.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Fan made. That has to be fan mad. this is supposed to be Lara Croft?

Who made this poster? How it got approved i'll never know.

jelly

It's not classic Tomb Raider, they based the film on the modern take so we shouldn't pile on that aspect, if you don't like modern Lara Croft games then fine but don't shit post the new actress.

It can't be worse than her partners video game IP attempt, Assassins Creed, that was terrible. Hope at least this is entertaining.

Vlaphor

I've made my feelings known on how I consider NuLara to be absolute garbage, so all I'll say that this point is that I wish the actress and the rest of the crew the best, but I have literally zero interest in seeing this film....and I saw the Legend of Chun Li (didn't like it, but I did go to a theater to see it).

Just watched the snippets. This isn't a good look, man. I was dreading the actress they chose to play Lara, but now I think that was the least of my concerns...

Should have gone with Kate Beckinsale.

She is the woman that was born to play Lara Croft but was doomed instead to the Underworld franchise.

Vikander is a great actress, but she isn't convincing as Lara Croft at all (imho, neither was Jolie).

Evilkazzzz

Neo Member
Kind of a shame Tomb Raider as a franchise is becoming more about survival stuff than the femme fatale Indiana Jones Rip off, it originally was.

I wonder if this will be better or worse than the other Tomb Raider movies. Which arent actually that bad, and pretty campy.

I miss the shorts and Dual pistols!

dreamfall

If this is based on the first reboot game, I can't wait to hear how these B-list actors deliver all the cringe worthy stereotypes.

Who has the special pleasure of being Alex and friendzoned to death?! All for a peck and a screwdriver!

Bollocks

As a fan who grew up with Tomb Raider that just looks like shit.
Tomb Raider is a worldwide icon, you can't just do a James Bond and sign up any whatever dude to play the part :/

nelo_inc

Poster doesn't look good at all.We all know the movie is not gonna be good either,maybe still better than the Angelina ones,but that shouldn't be hard..

Harlequin

If this is based on the first reboot game, I can't wait to hear how these B-list actors deliver all the cringe worthy stereotypes.

Who has the special pleasure of being Alex and friendzoned to death?! All for a peck and a screwdriver!

They aren't using the same characters as in the reboot games (and the premise and backstory is a bit different, too). I think the only game characters confirmed to show up in the film are Lara, Ana and Lara's dad (though his backstory is different than it is in the reboot games). Pretty sure that none of the Endurance crew (except for Lara) is in the film.

dreamfall

They aren't using the same characters as in the reboot games (and the premise and backstory is a bit different, too). I think the only game characters confirmed to show up in the film are Lara, Ana and Lara's dad (though his backstory is different than it is in the reboot games).

Thanks goodness for that! I wonder how they'll portray her father/daughter relationship. I want to be optimistic but damn, it just all feels so off to me.

Should have gone with Kate Beckinsale.

She is the woman that was born to play Lara Croft but was doomed instead to the Underworld franchise.

Vikander is a great actress, but she isn't convincing as Lara Croft at all (imho, neither was Jolie).

Certainly is a shame what they put Kate in these days, but if they were going for a younger Lara Croft, I can see why Kate wouldn't be a first choice even though she's beautiful.

jelly

One thing that I really dislike about her look is random bandages. At least make them look like they are not just style dressing.

Certainly is a shame what they put Kate in these days, but if they were going for a younger Lara Croft, I can see why Kate wouldn't be a first choice even though she's beautiful.

They should have explored an older Lara. Would have been MUCH MUCH more interesting than whatever this (TR 2013 but not TR 2013) is.

Harlequin

Thanks goodness for that! I wonder how they'll portray her father/daughter relationship. I want to be optimistic but damn, it just all feels so off to me.

If I remember correctly from what it says in the official synopsis (I don't think that these are real spoilers but better safe than sorry),
he was an eccentric, aristocratic business magnate who liked to go off on adventures and then went missing on one of his trips when Lara was a teenager. Lara doesn't want to accept that he's dead and (like in the reboot game bio) doesn't touch his fortune but for some reason, she ends up wanting to/having to figure out what happened to him and that's basically how the film starts.
So yeah, it's got the same shitty missing/dead parent backstory that's been shoehorned into almost all iterations of Tomb Raider since the first AJ film even though it was never part of Lara's original backstory.

Banned
Wasn't Daisy Ridley in the running for this role? She would be much better. Vikander just looks too...dainty.

Top Bottom