• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Director Says Project Cars 2 on XB1X Looks Significantly Better than on PS4 Pro

I think a good way of looking at it is, if you go in expecting XBO to PS4 level differences you'll rarely be disappointed, and more often than not you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Hi Matt, do you think non 4K set users will still see that level of difference between Pro and XBX1? Or is this going to be purely a fidelity upgrade in many cases?

KageMaru

Hi Matt, do you think non 4K set users will still see that level of difference between Pro and XB1? Or is this going to be purely a fidelity upgrade in many cases?

I would think that depends on what the differences are. If both versions just offer resolution boosts and super sample down to 1080p, you may notice a slightly cleaner image if either offer a higher native resolution. If the extra power is used for better assets and effects, you may notice the difference again but I don't think it'll be a huge difference on 1080p sets. The biggest benefit you may enjoy is if one version offers better draw distance since that should be noticeable on any set.

A lot of it will depend on if you see the difference in the details. The differences between the OG PS4 and Pro were noticeable on a 1080p TV but I'm not sure the differences were big enough for most people.

I would think that depends on what the differences are. If both versions just offer resolution boosts and super sample down to 1080p, you may notice a slightly cleaner image if either offer a higher native resolution. If the extra power is used for better assets and effects, you may notice the difference again but I don't think it'll be a huge difference on 1080p sets. The biggest benefit you may enjoy is if one version offers better draw distance since that should be noticeable on any set.

A lot of it will depend on if you see the difference in the details. The differences between the OG PS4 and Pro were noticeable on a 1080p TV but I'm not sure the differences were big enough for most people.

Yeah I was thinking about draw distances, AF, AO and such. Also framerates (I know both are running Jaguar). All this talk of PC-style dialling of different video options in X1X games had me thinking maybe there might be a chance of the user, or the developers, tailoring your experience depending on your display. But I may have read too much into that.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I think a good way of looking at it is, if you go in expecting XBO to PS4 level differences you'll rarely be disappointed, and more often than not you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Obviously. The power difference is roughly the same as the difference between the PS4 and Xbox One. At least on the APU side of things.

The real differentiator is in the RAM boost and how devs choose to use it if at all.

Sony

Nintendo
I love how the same people that pretend to be shocked are the people who downplay the power difference between 1X and Pro when a game with no significant differences between the two releases.

Again, I'm perfectly calm, thanks.

So you ignore the entirety of my post to just be defensive because you have nothing else to say? You literally said nobody in this topic was saying what you originally quoted me on (which made no sense on your part as I already explained) yet someone else just quoted you a few posts back proving you wrong. You want to keep going in circles...why again?

Trying to bait me, obviously.

I love how the same people that pretend to be shocked are the people who downplay the power difference between 1X and Pro when a game with no significant differences between the two releases.

You mean the same people who pretend that this is obvious news, right? Yep. I counted at least 2 individuals in this thread who did the exact same thing and if I wasn't on mobile I would've probably went detectiveGAF and outed them myself, but really there is no point in doing so.

Toni

A game looks better on better hardware. No shit sherlock

44RKKNH.png

thelastword

Banned
So the developers idea of a significant upgrade may differ from yours? I don't think that makes the thread title an exaggeration in any way.
No, I'm saying at present the developer can't detail the differences between the PRO and XBONEX. It's not something where he is giving tangible details...Outside of tangible details, the words signifcant makes no sense whatsoever...

I can also say the XBONEX will give us a signiificant uplift over a RX 480 downclocked GPU and offer fidelity and framerates of the GTX 1070. I'm just saying these things have to be corroborated or else it's just hype and marketing...

You have to be wary of such statements, it's obvious that XBONEX will be better, but how much better, is what's often exxagerated.....

Tell me since I don't understand

Why would they exclusively do CB rendering on PS4 P if it made both platforms look similar?
Because MS is pushing "TRUE 4k" native 4k and not those halfmeasures...All In an effort to differentiate it from the PRO and to show how beastly the XBONEX is....Even DF have indicated that the XBONEX is going to be punching in the GTX 1070 space.

40% more rendering but add in the extra RAM for 4k textures and other memory speed improvements and it is a greater difference
Agreed, the extra ram will prove very useful for loading, textures etc...It's something I've always said. I'm not sure all devs will be able to utlize that extra ram or would need to though....

Already beaten, but it's a lot more significant than the divide between PS4 and XB1. The 4 extra gigs of ram alone attest to that amongst other things. Keep fighting the good fight, though.
No, that's exactly what the divide is, ram will give us some improvements, but it won't be night and day and the extra ram won't always be utilized.

Those claims aren't happening?
CB 4k vs Native 4k is less contentious than 1080p 60fps in Cod vs 720 60fps, there will be no divide like that on PRO vs XBONEX. It's less contentious than 1080p on a fixed display True HD panel vs 900p on that same panel....

What I see for XBONEX are better textures, texture filtering and better loading times, in some titles. We all know better resolutions is the default step up from pro (well maybe higher qualtiy, more pure or uncompressed pixels on the XBOX side) ....however, some developers may or may not use these extra resources based on how many XBONEX consoles are out there at the time of development.....So of course, no matter how many times you hear differences will be significant, you should take a wait and see approach, since there are so many variables at play....

Jumeira

Banned

Yeah, this water is wet sentiment is new, why are those that are saying it speaking up now? Why not in most Xbox X threads where large amount of posts saying the difference is negligible? Its not going to be negligible, it'll be 'significant'

Synth

CB 4k vs Native 4k is less contentious than 1080p 60fps in Cod vs 720 60fps, there will be no divide like that on PRO vs XBONEX. It's less contentious than 1080p on a fixed display True HD panel vs 900p on that same panel....

If you wanna talk edge cases. Frontier have stated that Elite Dangerous will be native 4k on XB1X. It's currently 1080p on PS4Pro.

The God

I remember lots of posts about how devs wouldn't bother making a significant difference between versions, but now it's "water is wet"

Holy shit. Sorry, but I'll take a developer saying this about his very own game over a random known evangelist on a forum.

Yeah, this water is wet sentiment is new, why are those that are saying it speaking up now? Why not in most Xbox X threads where large amount of posts saying the difference is negligible?

Yep, point period blank. Was the very basis of my first post quoting another guy implying the same thing, only to be taken to court by a certain disgruntled poster.

If you wanna talk edge cases. Frontier have stated that Elite Dangerous will be native 4k on XB1X. It's currently 1080p on PS4Pro.

But that doesn't suit his narrative, though, so obviously it doesn't count.

I remember lots of posts about how devs wouldn't bother making a significant difference between versions, but now it's "water is wet"

I would hope so given the difference in hardware. I'd at least expect a gap similar to the standard consoles, though it's of course going to vary by game.

Obviously. The power difference is roughly the same as the difference between the PS4 and Xbox One. At least on the APU side of things.

The real differentiator is in the RAM boost and how devs choose to use it if at all.

It's bigger on the GPU side than XB1/PS4 difference. We already see a 100% boost in native pixels with Killing Floor 2.

What I see for XBONEX are better textures, texture filtering and better loading times, in some titles. We all know better resolutions is the default step up from pro (well maybe higher qualtiy, more pure or uncompressed pixels on the XBOX side)

So, you foresee significant upgrades on XB1X games vs PS4P, but maybe not on PC2? Any reason for that?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
This is likely THE game that can solidify my x1x purchase, glad they are giving it the proper attention.

In percentage terms both are around 40% sure but An x1x has an entire PS4's worth of gpu power extra over a pro. when you think that x1x could render a PS4 pro game *and* PS4 uncharted 4 simultaneously then it kinda puts it into context - for me at least.
(edit: note I said render, just talking about GPU power, obviously the CPU couldn't keep up with that demand)

Grassy

The thread title is significantly more exaggerated in tone than what the developer actually said though.....He himself does not even know what the improvements will be, but anybody would be able to make that call..any day of the week though....At this point, I'm not even sure these guys are running an XBONEX version of the game tbh...So it's more expectations on the better hardware, not that they're running a much better version on XBONEX right now, as the title implies...

So yes, we expect PS4 to have an edge over XB1, PS4 PRO over Vanilla PS4 and XBONEX over PS4PRO...How significant the upgrades can only be dissected in comparisons and how significant the difference will vary from title to title....

I can't wait for your expert-analysis on Project Cars 2's road textures ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

thelastword

Banned
When did Elite Dangerous release on the PS4?.. Does it have a Pro patch?

Seganomics said:
So, you foresee significant upgrades on XB1X games vs PS4P, but maybe not on PC2? Any reason for that?
No, I never said I expect significant upgrades. I do believe the upgrades will be seen and tangible, how significant they are can only be decepihered on a case by case basis. Outside of launched games on both systems, videos, screens and frame counters. I cant say anything is significant at this point.....Even leaks have some data to form an opinion at least, this dev gave nothing to work with....Just a statement without any tangible data.

Lots of devs hyped announcements at e3 for their titles on XBONEX and we've seen some of them reign back some of that hype with realistic updates. Even some games which were touted as 4k native are not. All I'm saying is I will wait and see. I happen to believe that Project Cars needs quite a bit of CPU power to maintain 60fps on consoles in all conditions. They've said they've made some strides with framerate and engine performance for all racing conditions, that may be great to hear, but I want to see tbh. I wish they would give me some details...Are they using GPGPU? Are they using FP16 rendering, this is what I want to read about. If all I'm hearing is that we have a significant uptake over PRO and no details follow, I'm not sure that does anything for me......At this point, it's only hype and marketing without any tangibles or even a chart....SO yeah, I'll wait to be impressed when they have something to show...

cakely

That's what I'm expecting. 40% GPU difference, plus some extra benefits from the larger amount of RAM.

Synth

When did Elite Dangerous release on the PS4?.. Does it have a Pro patch?

It released a little more than a month ago on PS4. It has Pro support, which provides better textures and LOD, but the resolution remains at 1080p. It's 1080p on vanilla PS4 (and XB1 even) as well, but vanilla PS4 performance is basically shite.

Now obviously it's a bit early to call the XB1X version as it doesn't actually exist publically yet regardless of Frontier's claims. However the math for the XB1X running ED at 4K checks out, seeing as its already a 1080p game targeting 60fps on the standard console, and the XB1X is more than 4x the standard XB1's performance. It's the PS4 side of things that's the anomaly, but these anomalies happen all the time in every generation. COD being 720p vs 1080p is one also, as was Bayonetta on PS3. Games sometimes favor one console in a manner that doesn't align with their performance delta... when it's in favour of the weaker console, you get surprisingly close ports (or in some cases the weaker console actually performing better). When it favours the stronger console though... that's when you start getting stuff like COD being 720p. It's a very large assumption (that will almost certainly be proven wrong in time) to claim that there won't be similar situations between PS4Pro and XB1X.

As an aside, it's also a rather unsafe assumption that we'll be talking CB 4K vs Native 4K. There have been plenty of cases of PS4 Pro games checkboarding to sub-4K resolutions and then upscaling to 4K from there. For all we know CB 4K on XB1X vs CB sub-4K on PS4Pro could become the most common comparison, and that wouldn't be much different to the "non-native" 900p comparisons we saw with XB1.

Yeah i'd expect the One X to have some extra features with a bump in resolution.

However, I don't think the game looks that great even on PC. I'd prefer Forza 7 or GT Sport to PC2 graphics wise...

Matt

Hi Matt, do you think non 4K set users will still see that level of difference between Pro and XBX1? Or is this going to be purely a fidelity upgrade in many cases?
So, yes there will be differences even at 1080p. If those differences are worth $500 if you already have a Pro is going to be up to each individual. I think if money is a factor that $500 might be better spent on a 4K tv to use with the Pro, and then maybe you could get an X later on, or wait for next gen.

I agree it's pretty obvious.

In percentage terms both are around 40% sure but An x1x has an entire PS4's worth of power extra over a pro. when you think that x1x could render a PS4 pro game *and* PS4 uncharted 4 simultaneously then it kinda puts it into context - for me at least.
Well, that's not really true, but it's a cool thing to imagine.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Yeah i'd expect the One X to have some extra features with a bump in resolution.

However, I don't think the game looks that great even on PC. I'd prefer Forza 7 or GT Sport to PC2 graphics wise...

Real time day-night cycles go a loooong way with me. Pcars1 was rather janky on x1, but starting a race in broad daylight, having it slowly transition into sunset (with literally blinding light on some corners, before dusk and full night was a thing of true beauty. Forza horizons lighting can't hold a candle to it. That it's still missing in fm7 makes me sad.

SalvaPot

Its a pretty obvious statement, but its one that has to be made. It'll be troubling if they looked the same, since you are paying more for the XOX.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
In percentage terms both are around 40% sure but An x1x has an entire PS4's worth of power extra over a pro. when you think that x1x could render a PS4 pro game *and* PS4 uncharted 4 simultaneously then it kinda puts it into context - for me at least.

Huh? I'm not sure what you're referring to here.

The APU difference is about 40% or so give or take.

The usable RAM difference is double (5 vs 10?)

Fake edit. Do you mean 4.2 vs 6 so a 1.8 difference? I'm not sure that's exactly how that works but I'm not aux fair enough with this stuff to truly be confident.

Seik

Banned
Of course, and this will be the case for most X1X compatible multiplat titles as the console has definitely more power than all the others.

Even parity with the Pro would be a more shocking statement than that.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member

giphy.gif

The 40% gap is the GPU not an entire system lol. Uncharted 4 pushed the CPU pretty hard :p

Hawk269

Yep, agreed. 1.8TF > 4.2TF is a bigger jump than 4.2TF > 6TF and from the Pro versions I've looked at via DF comparison videos, the difference is pretty small/subtle.

If One X games do show a much greater difference over One than PS4>Pro then questions will need to be asked.

You are forgetting about the faster CPU (not much, but still), Memory Bandwidth and what I think will be one of the bigger things is 12gb of RAM. You seem to be focusing just on TF performance and there is a lot more to it than just that. I think having the ability to have higher res textures due to the increased amount of RAM is what will make many games stand out a bit more.

X1 and PS4 were basically the best tech you can put on a $400 machine by 2013.
1X is not only a year later machine but also $100 more expensive, so I'm confident difference are going to be more evident than what we see on X1/PS4.

Metfanant

As someone considering buying the Xbox One X, I sincerely hope that this news holds up, and that it becomes a norm in the years to come.

Why wouldn't it?

PS4 games look better than Xbone games because it's more powerful...

PS4 Pro games look better than PS4 amateur games because it's more powerful...

XboneX games will look better than PS4 Pro games because it's more powerful...

ZOONAMI

Why are people expecting Xboxx to have better loading times with that 5400rpm spinner still in there shitting the bed. Least they could have done is put a 2tb in there for the bigger platter like my Xbox one s has, or even better a 7200rpm or hybrid. That hdd is kind of a joke for a $500 console. I'm guessing you still can't even replace it like you can with ps4?

Either way my guess is this is going to boil down to native 4k vs checkerboard or 1440p or 1800p, which honestly in a living room setting isn't really that significant.

Top Bottom