• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gematsu: Sony to hold Playstation Experience event in December

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slim to none. Isn't that the role that Sony hope to achieve with PS Now? Yeah, not gonna happen when they can charge folks to stream all those games instead.

i completely disagree. the overhead is high on psnow. there's probably more money to be made by allowing purchases through local emulation of ps1 and 2 games. sony knows this, i doubt they'd leave that money on the table, especially with how high the psnow pricing is

Andrew House also said recently that PSNow, in its current incarnation, is not expected to be anything more than a very small part of the Playstation business. It's more of a pioneering move, and putting the first stamp in branching out the brand and opportunities outside the core business, which is on existing hardware.

They'll prioritise the hardware first and foremost, because it's what makes their real income.

Have I missed anything in the past 12 hours?

Not really. Did you see the teaser trailer for the new David Jaffe game? That's about it I think.

Andrew House also said recently that PSNow, in its current incarnation, is not expected to be anything more than a very small part of the Playstation business. It's more of a pioneering move, and putting the first stamp in branching out the brand and opportunities outside the core business, which is on existing hardware.

They'll prioritise the hardware first and foremost, because it's what makes their real income.

Makes sense. It's going to be a big undertaking, so best to start small and grow from there.

Ishida

Banned
TWE, if I may be so bold, do you know how many games Sony will roughly debut? I'm not looking for anything specific, just wondering if it's more than 1. Bless you, sir.

I believe Edge stated that he only knows of 1 game that will be shown, and nothing else.

My first post in gaming side, no more lurking!

Threads like these are why I love reading GAF - wild, uncontrollable hype threatening to engulf everyone and everything in its e-radius!

Personally, I've been a constant sucker for the Crash Bandicoot rumours and I would seriously love for him to make a glorious return.

One thing I have been thinking, I might be wrong - did Sony not file a patent (or something) of some kind for achievements on older generation games? I'm sure I remember something like this coming up here in the last year or so. What with this event tying in to the 20th anniversary, could that be a way to relaunch/modernise the PS classics?

Alternatively it was all a dream and I'm hoping in vain!

dresi

I just might ask here. I really want to buy PS4 but as a huge western fan I also have to play Red Dead Redemption. Do you think it will show up on PS Now or should I just buy PS3? I just want to jump back into gaming after longer break and don't know much about the state of PS Now.

Threads like these are why I love reading GAF - wild, uncontrollable hype threatening to engulf everyone and everything in its e-radius!

Personally, I've been a constant sucker for the Crash Bandicoot rumours and I would seriously love for him to make a glorious return.

One thing I have been thinking, I might be wrong - did Sony not file a patent (or something) of some kind for achievements on older generation games? I'm sure I remember something like this coming up here in the last year or so. What with this event tying in to the 20th anniversary, could that be a way to relaunch/modernise the PS classics?

yeah, they have at least at some point been developing some type of trophy support for old games. i'm not sure how that's even possible on an emulated game. that would be a megaton if they announced ps1/ps2 emulation with the ability to add trophy support to those games without having to patch or rerelease the games themselves. but again, that sounds impossible to me

I just might ask here. I really want to buy PS4 but as a huge western fan I also have to play Red Dead Redemption. Do you think it will show up on PS Now or should I just buy PS3? I just want to jump back into gaming after longer break and don't know much about the state of PS Now.

i would hold course and stay patient. rockstar has never been shy about rereleasing games on new platforms

StuBurns

Banned
If you're going to buy a system primarily for RDR, it's much better on 360.

androvsky

I remember that, it was a patent to award trophies based on disc access, perfect for emulation of old PlayStation titles. It could work with discs as well as with downloadable classics, but it would require publishers to make the trophies. Combine with the rumor from Eurogamer about HD and wide-screen rendering of PS2 games, and we could have HD collections like on the PS3 without more than a couple weeks work from a publisher, unlike the six months of studio time needed before.

I remember that, it was a patent to award trophies based on disc access, perfect for emulation of old PlayStation titles. It could work with discs as well as with downloadable classics, but it would require publishers to make the trophies. Combine with the rumor from Eurogamer about HD and wide-screen rendering of PS2 games, and we could have HD collections like on the PS3 without more than a couple weeks work from a publisher, unlike the six months of studio time needed before.
Man that would be amazing. It would be the best official emulation ever, hands down.

Shahed

Is something like that feasible? I figure it'd create a load of bugs and glitches and require each game to be patched tested first

Is something like that feasible? I figure it'd create a load of bugs and glitches and require each game to be patched tested first
From what I understand, it wouldn't really interact with the game at all. It would take place on a different level of the system and just note when certain parts of the disk (physical or virtual) were accessed. I'm no tech expert (Jeff?), but as I understand it, there wouldn't really be any way for it to interfere with the game. The changes in resolution and aspect ratio could definitely cause some problems depending on the game. It wouldn't work for sprite-based stuff (I think), or where the gameplay is designed around a certain aspect ratio.

androvsky

It would be like PCSX2, but with an emulator made by people that can alter the bios. Many games would never work quite right, some wouldn't require any extra work at all. Sony would never patch the game though, just the emulator, so the publishers wouldn't have to worry about that part.

Edit: I'm talking about the HD and wide-screen part, the trophies wouldn't be an issue.

Honestly, I'd be disappointed if we got a Crash game. I'm not really in to platformers anymore.

So hopefully it's not Crash (or Ape Escape, sorry guys).

What has been said to indicate a new Crash game from Sony?

That trashcan/traffic sign thing

dVEXCks.png

What has been said to indicate a new Crash game from Sony?

House left open the possibility that Sony would revive Crash Bandicoot and Spyro. “In concept, it is something we’ve been thinking about and discussing, and this is a shift for us. We’ve started to say that maybe there isn’t anything wrong with going back and looking at characters that people still talk about, that were a big part of their childhood or their youth. I definitely wouldn’t close the door on that,” said House.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/07/14/crash-bandicoot-return-not-ruled-out-by-sony

I would prefer new IPs to be honest. But quite frankly apart from that Jaffe game and cool new trailers of games we already know I'm not hoping for more. You guys are treating it like E3.. Cant wait to see the dissapointments lol

TWE, if I may be so bold, do you know how many games Sony will roughly debut? I'm not looking for anything specific, just wondering if it's more than 1. Bless you, sir.

With my knowledge (spoiler answering his question; no specifics)
from some of the things I know, yes, there will be more than one game debuted but idk if you mean Sony owned IP or not

BumRush

Besides me wanting crash for selfish reasons (it's fucking amazing), it would be huge for Sony to have a family friendly "mascot" again. Nintendo has that end of the market on lock right now (and rightfully so) but getting a kid-friendly game like crash would have a major impact on sales.

BumRush

I would prefer new IPs to be honest. But quite frankly apart from that Jaffe game and cool new trailers of games we already know I'm not hoping for more. You guys are treating it like E3.. Cant wait to see the dissapointments lol

Mushroom, why shouldn't it be a major event? It's their 20th anniversary, it's one of Sony's most profitable divisions, the media will be in attendance and things will be livestreamed. As long as the IGNs of the world cover it, what makes it so much different than E3 to the average non-GAF gamer?

My god this topic is moving fast. The hype is getting kinda crazy.

The Naughty Dog of today are not the same studio as that from 15+ years ago. I don't think they'd be the best fit from Sony studios or their partners; I'd say Sanzaru, Media Molecule or even perhaps the Puppeteer team would be better suited to make a fun unpretentious platformer.

Although I don't think MM would want to do it, as they seem like the kind of studio who'd like to work on their own brands rather than someone else's creation.
Naughty Dog could do the next Pokemon game and make it good.
It's all about knowing what you're aiming for when developing a game. The Last of Us is a very different game when compared to Uncharted.

BadWolf

Yeah Spyro is used for Skylanders, so i think that one i impossible.

But the Crash IP wasnt used in any ways by Activision the past years.

There are actually many hints for a Crash Comeback on the Ps4

Some Guy on Reddit made a great Summary

http://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/1r5qo4/the_official_crash_bandicoot_website_owned_and/

The guy makes it sound like a really, really dead IP.

Regardless, if if happens then great but if it doesn't then ppl can't be angry with Sony for leading them on in any real way.

Mushroom, why shouldn't it be a major event? It's their 20th anniversary, it's one of Sony's most profitable divisions, the media will be in attendance and things will be livestreamed. As long as the IGNs of the world cover it, what makes it so much different than E3 to the average non-GAF gamer?
Because sony said it was about showing off games at the event for people attending, interviews, making ofs etc.. 'Exciting new announcements' was just one of the many features of this event and people are just focusing on that. An announcement could be 'we sold 15m PS4's' for all we know. Or a new trailer or DLC could also be seen as a new announcement. Of course I hope to be wrong but the hype in here is getting crazy. I mean FFVII remake ? really?

Besides me wanting crash for selfish reasons (it's fucking amazing), it would be huge for Sony to have a family friendly "mascot" again. Nintendo has that end of the market on lock right now (and rightfully so) but getting a kid-friendly game like crash would have a major impact on sales.
It's not like they don't have that. They just released LBP 3, the third major game in their fourth best selling franchise (after GT, GoW, and Uncharted). They put out a Ratchet and Clank game pretty much every year, Sly is probably back to stay for a while, Knack could honestly get a sequel, and Tearaway is a blossoming new franchise. Sony isn't hurting for commercially and criticaly successful kid-friendly mascots.

My thought on the whole thing is that Sony would very much like to get Crash back. It would be a huge seller for them. But if Activision won't sell for the right price, it's not happening. Sony absolutely will not make another Crash game without owning the IP. Losing Crash and Spyro shaped them as a publisher more than any other event. No way on earth will they settle. Since they do have a healthy presence in the kid friendly platforming market with a number of franchises, that lessens their need for Crash. Based on data from my ass, there's a 20% chance they got Crash back.

Naughty Dog could do the next Pokemon game and make it good.
It's all about knowing what you're aiming for when developing a game. The Last of Us is a very different game when compared to Uncharted.
Yup. Look at Retro going from Metroid Prime to Donkey Kong. They knocked it out of the fucking park going from a solemn, atmospheric, and occasionally frightening story-driven game to an old school platformer. I have no doubt whatsoever that Naughty Dog could do the same.

BadWolf

Because sony said it was about showing off games at the event for people attending, interviews, making ofs etc.. 'Exciting new announcements' was just one of the many features of this event and people are just focusing on that. An announcement could be 'we sold 15m PS4's' for all we know. Or a new trailer or DLC could also be seen as a new announcement. Of course I hope to be wrong but the hype in here is getting crazy. I mean FFVII remake ? really?

I don't think anyone in this thread is seriously expecting that.

Apathy

Having a family friendly mascot would not have a major sales impact, otherwise the Wii U would be flying off shelves, plus Sackboy and friends are much friendlier to families. While I have fond memories of crash, the game by today's standards is boring. The boulder sections were the best parts of those games and naughty dog has kept those alive in spirit in uncharted and tlou. Crash needs to be left dead, rather than spend a huge sum if money for a game that probably won't sell well

Adding trophy support to PS1 and PS2 games would be a bigger megaton than Crash coming back!

FF VII through IX all over again. Getting the Golden Chocobo will feel even more rewarding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom