• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

H1Z1: KotK's concurrent playerbase grows 1000% since September, tops 110K con players

It says so much that such a buggy piece of shit can become so successful just because it's the only decent title in an extremely in-demand genre. We'll see how Battlegrounds changes things.

IHaveIce

Banned
And again to the topic of GAF becoming disconnected with the mainstream "gamerbase", no popular GAF thread for this game.
Not that I say GAF needs to be more mainstream, but it explains why people shouldn't be that shocked that a lot of GAF's favorite games aren't doing as well as they think

Game is super addicting and everyone seems to play it.

nubbe

And again to the topic of GAF becoming disconnected with the mainstream "gamerbase", no popular GAF thread for this game.
Not that I say GAF needs to be more mainstream, but it explains why people shouldn't be that shocked that a lot of GAF's favorite games aren't doing as well as they think

Game is super addicting and everyone seems to play it.

the kids are wrong

Compsiox

Banned
H1Z1 is HoTS, Battlegrounds is LoL, Arma Battle Royale is Dota.. or something

You're assuming Battlegrounds will be better and more popular than H1z1. When that probably won't be the case for a very long time if it ever even gets there. Also, there are barely any hackers in h1z1 because of Daybreaks systematic method.

Still surprised no big publisher has tried their hands at survival or battle royale games all these years. Let's see how Amazon does with Crucible and New World.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Still surprised no big publisher has tried their hands at survival or battle royale games all these years. Let's see how Amazon does with Crucible and New World.

The Division added it as a mode called Survival. It was very popular, though needed more updates.

They did survey about an H1Z1-like version of Survival as well.

But yes, I'm surprised at the lack of standalone products.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
You're assuming Battlegrounds will be better and more popular than H1z1. When that probably won't be the case for a very long time if it ever even gets there. Also, there are barely any hackers in h1z1 because of Daybreaks systematic method.
I was comparing them based on how deep/involved the gameplay is. H1Z1 is the most arcadey and ARMA is the most sim-like with Battlegrounds falling in between them.

H1Z1 clearly has the biggest audience in the genre.

You're assuming Battlegrounds will be better and more popular than H1z1.

Most people here who have played it says it is better though. I haven't played yet to say personally. Whether it will be more popular who knows. All the big streamers on Twitch were playing it during the beta. Guess we will see next week.

TVexperto

Knock knock
PUBG_Logo_color_RGB5.png.5169df0602302e983dd6bfc71c544994.png

Let's see how this plays out.

what is this and where can i buy it?

That's why I tried to say/ask earlier in the thread.

Battleground is in alpha ALREADY better than H1Z1, this is what they say. But The Culling too at the time was considered much better and it ended being a short burst.

I don't know why. The Culling was also better because half the time in H1Z1/Battlegrounds you're killed by a bullet you didn't even think was coming. Just unexpected deaths after 10 minutes of walk.

In The Culling, because of de-emphasis on reliable ranged weapons, you're actually fighting actively and sudden deaths are much less likely. You have a whole lot more control on what is going on (and it's also based on Unreal Engine, so not a complete shit of an engine).

Yet it fizzled in a short time. I have no idea why. Especially I have no idea why H1Z1 went up when on the development side it's almost completely inactive and just enjoying the money.

Yeezus

Its a really intense game. When its just you and one other person, or when its really down to the wire... Man, I haven't felt my heart beat like that while playing a videogame in years.

That's why I tried to say/ask earlier in the thread.

Battleground is in alpha ALREADY better than H1Z1, this is what they say. But The Culling too at the time was considered much better and it ended being a short burst.

I don't know why. The Culling was also better because half the time in H1Z1/Battlegrounds you're killed by a bullet you didn't even think was coming. Just unexpected deaths after 10 minutes of walk.

In The Culling, because of de-emphasis on reliable ranged weapons, you're actually fighting actively and sudden deaths are much less likely. You have a whole lot more control on what is going on (and it's also based on Unreal Engine, so not a complete shit of an engine).

Yet it fizzled in a short time. I have no idea why. Especially I have no idea why H1Z1 went up when on the development side it's almost completely inactive and just enjoying the money.

I think h1z1 and Battlegrounds benefit a lot from being super popular on Twitch. I can't recall any of the big streamers playing the culling but maybe I'm wrong about that.

Compsiox

Banned
I just watched the Battle Royale trailer for Battlegrounds. It does look a lot better. Heres hoping that they have a good method for eliminating hackers and that the hit reg is good.

Decado

Always baffled by the popularity of these types of games, particularly on PC. They are never finished and the gameplay looks awful, yet millions buy them and seem to get a lot of play time out of them. Different tastes. *Shrugs*

Azzurri

Always baffled by the popularity of these types of games, particularly on PC. They are never finished and the gameplay looks awful, yet millions buy them and seem to get a lot of play time out of them. Different tastes. *Shrugs*

I feel the same way as you man. I just don't see the appeal of these type of games. I guess the reason I love MMORPGs is the progression system they have, which survival esque games are jump in, die repeat and I find that utterly boring. Different strokes for different folks.

Compsiox

Banned
I feel the same way as you man. I just don't see the appeal of these type of games. I guess the reason I love MMORPGs is the progression system they have, which survival esque games are jump in, die repeat and I find that utterly boring. Different strokes for different folks.

It's different everytime though. It's not like you're playing through the same level of a game over and over.

Azzurri

It's different everytime though. It's not like you're playing through the same level of a game over and over.

But you're basically doing the same thing over and over again just on a different map. And once it's done it's done. I guess it's just the lack of a persistent world and progression I don't like. I mean I play sports games a lot and it's basically the same thing; different game every time.

Compsiox

Banned
But you're basically doing the same thing over and over again just on a different map. And once it's done it's done. I guess it's just the lack of a persistent world and progression I don't like. I mean I play sports games a lot and it's basically the same thing; different game every time.

Actually it's the same map but things go down differently everytime. Yeah, I think progression might be it for you.

Battlegrounds has better gunplay but it still needs a ton of optimizing. It runs much wore than h1Z1 for me.It's map is also awful but they say a new one is coming whereas H1Z1's awful map is here to stay.

H1Z1 is very fast paced and I think a lot of people like that about it. I would be surprised to see it die off completely when battlegrounds comes out but it will be something to watch.

Is there a gaming community thread for this game? Can't find one

Yes, but almost no one has posted in it since 2015: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=971765

Battlegrounds has better gunplay but it still needs a ton of optimizing. It runs much wore than h1Z1 for me.It's map is also awful but they say a new one is coming whereas H1Z1's awful map is here to stay.

H1Z1 is very fast paced and I think a lot of people like that about it. I would be surprised to see it die off completely when battlegrounds comes out but it will be something to watch.

Awww my first OT. Yeah the popularity dipped and never resurfaced on gaf even after the split and growth of KoTK.

CHINA NUMBER ONE

It's a really fun game to watch on twitch. I decided to buy it a few months ago and have put almost 100 hours into it, very challenging to aim in this game. Overall I think I still have more fun watching it then actually playing it. Server lag is bad especially if you're out east, and good luck if you come across an asian player in NA servers. They just lag all over the place.

Whompa02

I don't understand the fascination with this game. It's glitchy and mostly pretty bare bones and gets boring pretty quick.

Every single one of these games is mostly buggy to all hell and will never "be complete" by the time a new generation of games hit.

Top Bottom