• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn PSX 2016 Trailer. It Still Looks Absolutely Amazing!

Zedark

I hope this isn't just about lore and has some talk about the gameplay.

That is the premise of the panel, though:

Playstation said:
Join Guerrilla Games for an inside look at the world of Horizon Zero Dawn and the lore and machines that define it.

Edit:
They keep getting asked what their inspiration was for robot dinosaurs and they keep mis-answering :/

Well, the person who came up with the concept is not on the panel, so maybe that's why they can't explain that.

Zedark

Kind of a non-answer to dungeons. Can't imagine it won't have them, though, but maybe they won't want to tell us because they are deeply rooted into the technology background behind the game?

VanWinkle

I feel like the premise of this panel is inherently flawed because Guerilla is purposely being vague about the secrets behind the world. So pretty much every question gets mostly a non-answer.

vivekTO

Kind of a non-answer to dungeons. Can't imagine it won't have them, though, but maybe they won't want to tell us because they are deeply rooted into the technology background behind the game?

I think when he says depth and hand gesture "down" , there is a whole world (dungeons) below the ground , i think. That can be counted as dungeon .

hydruxo

It seemed like kind of a roundabout 'yes' answer to me. Like, he wants to confirm it but he doesn't want to give a major plot point away regarding the technological origins in the game.

Zedark

I feel like the premise of this panel is inherently flawed because Guerilla is purposely being vague about the secrets behind the world. So pretty much every question gets mostly a non-answer.

Well, the first 15 minutes were great, describing the design philosophy of the game. The latter part, though, is asking questions about specific elements of the game, and they obviously don't want to reveal those things all at once, so they will of course remain mum about that. Bit of a shame, the discussion leader should have prepared more good questions imo and not read off of twitter.

Edit:
It seemed like kind of a roundabout 'yes' answer to me. Like, he wants to confirm it but he doesn't want to give a major plot point away regarding the technological origins in the game.

Yeah, that could be. But I do find it weird they won't just say "yes, there are dungeons", followed by something like "but we can't go into too much detail about them". Not saying there are dungeons is a bit weird. Perhaps just a quirk of John Gonzales, though, as I said I doubt they will be missing.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
In the 4K gameplay trailer were Aloi climbs the broadneck we can see caves in the sides of mountains in the distance so I'm sure there will be dungeon style areas.

VanWinkle

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a "dungeon" in RPG terms (besides the ones that are literal dungeons; or is that what it refers to)? Is it like a linear difficult section of the game?

Mathieran

Banned
It looked like in the trailer from yesterday that there definitely is something underground that is technological. Whether or not that will amount to the traditional idea of a dungeon I guess we will see. Those worker robots might be building something that we will need to stop.

Zedark

Forgive my ignorance, but what is a "dungeon" in RPG terms (besides the ones that are literal dungeons; or is that what it refers to)? Is it like a linear difficult section of the game?

Yes, basically that. Also, it may have some puzzle element (be it a maze or a puzzle mechanic) to make it kinda a challenge to navigate. And, of course, treasure and maybe a boss. Beyond that, it can be anything. For example in FFXV, dungeons are mines, castles but also simple thickets, caves and woods.

Mathieran

Banned

In my mind it would be like a dungeon from Zelda where there's a set of challenges like puzzles and difficult enemies with a boss at the end. Usually rewarding you with loot and character progression and maybe story advancement.

VanWinkle

Yes, basically that. Also, it may have some puzzle element (be it a maze or a puzzle mechanic) to make it kinda a challenge to navigate. And, of course, treasure and maybe a boss. Beyond that, it can be anything. For example in FFXV, dungeons are mines, castles but also simple thickets, caves and woods.

Okay, thanks. That's what I thought, but I wasn't completely sure.

Best looking game I've ever seen. Lawd have merc. Please have great characters and a great story! :)

Saw a few images, not seeing the trailer. I've only seen 2-3 trailers so far and keeping it at that.

They said February 28 twice in this very panel. Why do you say that?

Do I really need to say it? Sony and on time releases don't compute it always needs to be delayed at least ones and at many others twice so yes I'm very sceptical of Horizon hitting it's set date.

Zedark

What other notable panels are today?

There is Kinda Funny PS I Love You Panel and a panel on accessibility features.

Edit:
Do I really need to say it? Sony and on time releases don't compute it always needs to be delayed at least ones and at many others twice so yes I'm very sceptical of Horizon hitting it's set date.

The game has been delayed once already (was slated for 2016, then came 28 February 2017), so that stage has been passed. Now you should need a reason to suggest why we should expect another delay, rather than "it's Sony".

The world building they're doing for this title is stunning. I cannot wait to play it. Could end up being one of the strongest new IP debuts ever.

vivekTO

Nice panel!! its good to know there is touches of religion too in the game. bodes well for the lore and the culture in the game.

Zedark

Well, there is the gameplay lol.

It was a very interesting panel. The way they construct the lore and how they think about it is really interesting to hear, and the concept art they discussed was, once again, really beautiful and illuminating.

Mathieran

Banned

I'm kind of with you on this. I really want it to come out asap but I wouldn't be surprised if it got a short delay of about a 3-6weeks. I'd be okay though, not sure I will finish Skyrim by then let alone all the other games I bought on Black Friday.

Them reiterating the release date is reassuring but until the game goes gold anything can happen.

Bulgar

Neo Member
Have they hinted at or shown who the antagonist is in the story other than just monster machine enemies?

HStallion

My wallet would be thankful if they delayed it a few months. Polish it up and what not and there are so many games coming out in February of next year I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

HStallion

Have they hinted at or shown who the antagonist is in the story other than just monster machine enemies?

We've seen Aloi fighting some people and we've also seen a human tribe that can seemingly control the corrupter scorpion bots in one of the trailers.

Zedark

My wallet would be thankful if they delayed it a few months. Polish it up and what not and there are so many games coming out in February of next year I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

It's like every week starting January 19th (Gravity Rush 2) there is a game that I want to play. We will have to make choices, and plan the other games at some other time, probably during the summer. It is a better problem than there being a scarcity of fun games to play, for sure!

HStallion

It's like every week starting January 19th (Gravity Rush 2) there is a game that I want to play. We will have to make choices, and plan the other games at some other time, probably during the summer. It is a better problem than there being a scarcity of fun games to play, for sure!

There are easily half a dozen games releasing in a two month period that I'm dying to play from Nier Automata to Persona 5 to Horizon Zero Dawn to Nioh and so on! I work full time and have no vacation time to spare!

Bulgar

Neo Member
We've seen Aloi fighting some people and we've also seen a human tribe that can seemingly control the corrupter scorpion bots in one of the trailers.

You mean in the same fashion Aloi can hack the machines and use them to her advantage? What I've gathered from the narration hints is that the core of the world is mechanical and the enemy might just end up to be just some AI system (maybe in-line with Glados from portal) where the creatures are manufactured deep in the earth by AI machines and release on the surface.

HStallion

You mean in the same fashion Aloi can hack the machines and use them to her advantage? What I've gathered from the narration hints is that the core of the world is mechanical and the enemy might just end up to be just some AI system (maybe in-line with Glados from portal) where the creatures are manufactured deep in the earth by AI machines and release on the surface.

Its only a short clip in passing so we don't get much info. Looks like a human dressed in black raising his fist up and the Scorpion bots following his lead. Could very well be something similar to Aloi as we see her and the corrupters using blue and red robotic tendrils to infect/control other machines respectively.

Top Bottom