• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac on lack of Sunset Overdrive 2: Ask Microsoft, may continue w/o them one day

Vitacat

Why would they? Even on X1 the numbers were abysmal. If it's exclusive it will perform worse than the last, if it's multiplatform, then it might find a little more appeal, but really, wouldn't they be better off simply going with a new franchise?

That's really a shame. It's a fantastic game. And yes, I actually bought a copy.

If we do get a sequel, or even an interesting port to other hardware... I'm in.

I dont give a shit where it ends up just give it to me please! Seems stupid of MS to not want to lock that up. Its my favorite exclusive Xbone game by far.

Elfstruck

I wonder WHEN we'll see more? I thought it was a fun game. I think I read somewhere, that the whole studio is working on Spider Man at the moment, so we may not see it for awhile. Unless there is a smaller team in there.
Yep, it is all hands on deck for Spiderman for now.

More like Insomniac is busy with Spider Man right now.

MS didn't "turn them down". Just didn't care enough for a sequel.

Insomniac are busy with Spiderman now anyway.

I think they should find a new publisher for Sunset Overdrive.

"You'd have to ask Microsoft." I mean, this makes it sound like Insomniac was ready to do a sequel, or is still ready to do a sequel, but Microsoft won't green light it.

Well, the original unfortunately sold like shit.

The first game certainly didnt meet MS' sale expectation.

Well, the Xbox One sold like shit, so I'd imagine that had a lot to do with Sunset Overdrive's poor numbers. No Microsoft exclusive sold particularly well during that time frame.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The main issue is they would have to find someone willing to fund it, which would be very difficult in today's industry.

This is why you see a lot of independent developers who own their own IP explain that this doesn't actually have a ton of meaning without their publishing partner, since the publishers still hold all the cards with how few of them can afford to fund major games these days.

eFKac

I don't know who would want to jump on funding a sequel.
Sony's out I assume, maybe Oculus? They seem to be on good terms.
Seems to big to be self funded for a proper sequel.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Insomniac owns the game and IP, so the original eventually going multiplatform is a distinct possibility, however Price's comment appears to confirm that Microsoft has the right of first refusal on a sequel, which isn't surprising. I actually feel that temporary publishing rights + ROFR is a fair compromise.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Microsoft just so hard up for cash.

Might have to go sofa mining at this rate Phil to get some fucking videogames for your videogame platform.

Goldboy

Sunset Overdrive is a great game, I hope that if a sequel is made, they tone down the obnoxious humor just a tiny bit though.

Personally Sunset is my least favorite Insomniac series, so I wish they would do something new after Spiderman.

(Fuse doesn't count).

Personally Sunset is my least favorite Insomniac series, so I wish they would do something new after Spiderman.

Personally, I'd like to see more horror games coming out. So, it would peak my interest if they took on one. I kind of doubt it, given their track record of stellar games.

Chris1

Well, the Xbox One sold like shit, so I'd imagine that had a lot to do with Sunset Overdrive's poor numbers. No Microsoft exclusive sold particularly well during that time frame.

Titanfall, Ryse, DR3 all did pretty well and presumably forza 5 aswell. Starting with SO it all went downhill sales wise outside of Forza Horizon probably.

When SO is your first failure & every game before that sold well it's easy to see why MS didn't wanna fund a sequel, but I think/hope with hindsight and all that if given the chance they would go back and fund it after seeing QB, Recore, Halo, Gears numbers

WTF? So Insomniac wants to do a sequel, but Microsoft is turning them down?

C'mon Phil, you gotta do better than this. The X1 needs quality exclusives, how can you not authorize a Sunset Overdrive sequel?

If we are even hesitating on this, when this game absolutely shits on crackdown which is now on game 3, I don't know what to say.

Personally it's my favorite(!) game of this gen and I own a PS4 and a gaming PC too... so I'd happily put 100 bucks into a Shenmue style kickstarter.

I feel bad for all those who didn't have a chance to play it. Its probaby my favorite unique IP of this generation.

Sunset Overdrive = Overdrive of fun, needs fo be exposed fo more peoppe.

Yep, plus would Sony fund a title like SO2 if they didn't own the rights to it?

Clearly not. There was the existing relationship between Sony and Insomniac, and Insomniac openly stated that they chose Microsoft to publish Sunset Overdrive because it let them keep ownership of the IP. If Sony would have offered the same deal, you'd think Insomniac would have chosen them.

Floody

Still really surprised it hasn't been put on PC yet, but I assume they are too busy now and will be for a good while, as I doubt Spiderman will be a one of thing. Be nice if it gives them enough money to be able to self publish it, should MS turn the sequel down.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yep, plus would Sony fund a title like SO2 if they didn't own the rights to it?
To my knowledge, the only publishers who publish developer owned IPs are EA, Activision, Take-Two, and Microsoft, especially for major titles.

Bandai Namco and Warner Bros will do cofunding deals, but Insomniac doesn't have that kind of cash.

soultron

Banned
Sunset Overdrive was, in my mind, a casualty of being released way too early in the XB1's lifetime. I wonder if it would do well with some kind of relaunch with new content, now that the install base is bigger? (A multiplat relaunch would be super, but talk is cheap and that proposition isn't trivial.)

Chris1

Still really surprised it hasn't been put on PC yet, but I assume they are too busy now and will be for a good while, as I doubt Spiderman will be a one of thing. Be nice if it gives them enough money to be able to self publish it, should MS turn the sequel down.
Insomniac want to put it on PC but it's up to MS.

MS doesn't want to waste time porting non UWP apps it seems, only reason all their recent games are on PC is they're a UWP on xbox aswell and it more or less works on PC aswell with very little to do

CKB3375

A perfect example of the difference in approach between Microsoft and Sony.

Sony sticks with franchises that aren't immediately blockbuster hits because they believe in the longer term benefits and rewards of having diversity in their catalogue and for their brand.

Microsoft focuses on a couple of IPs and drop so many promising franchises - Alan Wake, Ryse, Sunset Overdrive, etc. - after one entry. One and done Microsoft. One and done.

Floody

To my knowledge, the only publishers who publish developer owned IPs are EA, Activision, Take-Two, and Microsoft, especially for major titles.

Bandai Namco and Warner Bros will do cofunding deals, but Insomniac doesn't have that kind of cash.

Do Sony own Death Stranding or is it a 1 off because it's Kojima? Might teach them a lesson if that latter.

Insomniac want to put it on PC but it's up to MS.

MS doesn't want to waste time porting non UWP apps it seems, only reason all their recent games are on PC is they're a UWP on xbox aswell and it more or less works on PC aswell with very little to do

Oh, thanks. Guess that's a bad sign they won't be willing to fund a follow up then.

Chris1

Oh, thanks. Guess that's a bad sign they'll be willing to fund a follow up then.

Well tbh it's not just a SO thing. They won't port Halo or anything to PC either because of that reason. So it doesn't say much about funding sequels or not. MS just seems to have no interest at all in porting pre-UWP xbox games to UWP for PC.

Top Bottom