• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Insomniac on lack of Sunset Overdrive 2: Ask Microsoft, may continue w/o them one day

Lifeline

Does anyone want a Sunset Overdrive game over a Spider-Man game?

I mean apart from exclusivity stuff, if I had to pick between the two I'd go with Spider-Man.

A perfect example of the difference in approach between Microsoft and Sony.

Sony sticks with franchises that aren't immediately blockbuster hits because they believe in the longer term benefits and rewards of having diversity in their catalogue and for their brand.

Microsoft focuses on a couple of IPs and drop so many promising franchises - Alan Wake, Ryse, Sunset Overdrive, etc. - after one entry. One and done Microsoft. One and done.

Explain Crackdown then.

stryke

Sony sticks with franchises that aren't immediately blockbuster hits because they believe in the longer term benefits and rewards of having diversity in their catalogue and for their brand.

Eh. I agree Sony is more diverse but they're not afraid to drop you if things don't work out.

nOoblet16

Well the entire reason they went to MS in the first place is because Sony wasn't allowing them to own the IP. But now they do so why would they want to own the IP and say ask Microsoft or say "maybe" one day?

If Spiderman is a big success, I doubt it would happen. Insomniac have their indie ambitions, Ratchet & Clank which was a big return to form and possible VR work or other IP ambitions.

The studio will have to pick and choose what their next big project will be. If Spiderman is requiring the whole studio and Ratchet required their secondary studio, highly doubt they will have a big enough team for Sunset 2.

This is not even taking into account who would even fund it.

Best wishes.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
To my knowledge, the only publishers who publish developer owned IPs are EA, Activision, Take-Two, and Microsoft, especially for major titles.

EA is a mixed bag in that regard. If you signed with EA prior to the introduction of EA Originals, then you own your IP; otherwise, you don't.

Madness

I dont give a shit where it ends up just give it to me please! Seems stupid of MS to not want to lock that up. Its my favorite exclusive Xbone game by far.

Microsoft was the only one who even allowed Insomniac to make the game while still keeping IP rights. Sony refused to publish it and Insomniac didn't want to lose another of their IP's.

So I doubt Insomniac would even want MS to lock up the game. But I agree. They definitely need to support Insomniac and bring out a sequel and allow it for PC as well.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Explain Crackdown then.

i could not explain the fascination with crackdown if i tried, the first one was merely ok bundled with halo 3 beta, the second one was crap and who knows how the third one will be.

i guess that's just an ip they think they can utilize...

realtime worlds has not been around for a while though

What if Microsoft would let them do a port of SO1 to PS4 and PC, let them keep 100% of the profit in return for a timed exclusivity of SO2 that Insomniac could at least partly fund on their own with that money.

kubev

I'd love to see a sequel to Sunset Overdrive with all traversal abilities unlocked from the start. I'm not overly familiar with the development cycle for Sunset Overdrive, but the game really seems like the best example of a third-party exclusive that didn't take too long to develop and managed to fill a niche that I don't think any other game released during this console has otherwise managed to fill.

nOoblet16

Microsoft focuses on a couple of IPs and drop so many promising franchises - Alan Wake, Ryse, Sunset Overdrive, etc. - after one entry. One and done Microsoft. One and done.
Explain closure of Evolution, Studio Liverpool, GG Cambridge, RAD making tiny games.

Also MS doesn't own Sunset Overdrive.

Explain closure of Evolution, Studio Liverpool, GG Cambridge, RAD making tiny games. Or explain the existence of Crackdown 3

Also MS doesn't own Sunset Overdrive.

For addition, MS don't own Ryse too, in fact they want to make Ryse 2 but Crytek refuse it because MS want to own the IP(Ryse is own by Crytek).

Floody

Is there a straight forward explanation of the deal they have with MS?

Can't say for sure, but it's probably something like MS have first choice on if they want to publish it or not and until they say, Insomniac are just waiting. I doubt Insomniac have asked yet though.

zeexlash

Really poor effort from Microsoft not to give this a sequel, Xbox One's 2017 lineup could really do with Sunset Overdrive 2.

Sydle

Hope they go multi-platform. I see no benefit for MS to publish again knowing it's not going to move systems / live subscriptions / MAUs.

Can't say for sure, but it's probably something like MS have first choice on if they want to publish it or not and until they say, Insomniac are just waiting. I doubt Insomniac have asked yet though.

Yeah, it's probably a first right of refusal situation, and Microsoft likely has a pretty large window of time to make a decision, and they'll just sit on it until that expires or they decide to publish it.

For addition, MS don't own Ryse too, in fact they want to make Ryse 2 but Crytek refuse it because MS want to own the IP(Ryse is own by Crytek).
Man(!), if Ryse gets a sequel but not Sunset Overdrive, I'll sell my Xbox One with every game and even the controllers that I use on PC too. Never wanna be reminded of that tasteless brand again.

David___

Banned
I very much doubt the budgets are the same or even comparable.

Well the entire reason they went to MS in the first place is because Sony wasn't allowing them to own the IP. But now they do so why would they want to own the IP and say ask Microsoft or say "maybe" one day?

If I had to guess, Insomniac may own the rights to the IP itself, but MS owns the publishing rights to the game, so they are the ones who would need to either refuse the sequel in the first place or fund it.

Awesome game, and I would love to see a sequel, nevermind a PC version.

Only request, give us a better soundtrack. I love the punk rock theme, but please either add some classic punk songs, or at least make it more varied. I'd love to see more of a Tony Hawk style mix of skate punk, some punk-metal, maybe a bit of thrash metal, maybe some old school hip-hop.

nOoblet16

Well too bad for Crytek then cause it's not like they are swimming with projects and money.

They literally sold their engine, the only worthwhile thing they had to make money on and their biggest creation and they refuse to sell an IP. Lol

Wait what flops or disappointments on the same budget level as Alan Wake or Sunset did Sony still charge ahead on making a sequel for?

nOoblet16

I very much doubt the budgets are the same or even comparable.

If I had to guess, Insomniac may own the rights to the IP itself, but MS owns the publishing rights to the game, so they are the ones who would need to either refuse the sequel in the first place or fund it.
Shouldn't publishing rights only apply to that specific title rather than future sequels ? And even that it won't prevent that title from appearing elsewhere (like Mass Effect 1)

FelipeMGM

I hope they find a way to make a lot of money then, because I have no idea who would fund that in this situation and with these terms.

Such a shame because the game is awesome

I don't care how it happens or if it goes multiplat, but I want SO2. Everyone tweet Phil. Please.

So he can give a non answer like he has been doing for some time now?

''We loved the game, and Insomniac is a great developer, always a pleasure to work with them''

nOoblet16

Wait what flops or disappointments on the same budget level as Alan Wake or Sunset did Sony still charge ahead on making a sequel for?
Killzone is the only one I can think of but they did end up with three good Killzone games. KZ2 that was well reviewed and sold well, KZ Liberation and KZ Mercenary...both well reviewed but probably didn't sell much.

Awesome game, and I would love to see a sequel, nevermind a PC version.

Only request, give us a better soundtrack. I love the punk rock theme, but please either add some classic punk songs, or at least make it more varied. I'd love to see more of a Tony Hawk style mix of skate punk, some punk-metal, maybe a bit of thrash metal, maybe some old school hip-hop.
You need tracks made for the game so the more instruments set in with higher "amp" levels of the gameplay part.
And SO had some awesome tracks off-gameplay too.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
EA Originals developers keep their IP: https://www.google.com/amp/www.game...-more-innovation-and-creativity?client=safari

It's right of first refusal like they've always done.

Ah, yeah, it seems I misremembered as Jo-mei does own Sea of Solitude. I had it in my head that EA owned Fe in addition to Unravel*, but, having looked, there's zero evidence to support this. Oops!

* While Unravel occupied the space between EA Partners and EA Originals, EA itself said that the game is what lead to the creation of the EA Originals label, which undoubtedly played a part in my fuzzy recollection.

Madness

So PS4 version confirmed....

Sony wouldn't fund/publish the first. What makes you think they would publish the second? Especially when the reason they refused Insomniac for the first was because Insomniac wanted to keep the IP. Insomniac is kidding themselves if they will find someone besides MS to fund the game. Spiderman is different because Sony owns the movie rights and they need it to rejuvenate a franchise that they struggled with for amazing spiderman. Sony reveres Spiderman so much they used the Spiderman font for the PS3 launch console.

Sony wouldn't fund/publish the first. What makes you think they would publish the second? Especially when the reason they refused Insomniac for the first was because Insomniac wanted to keep the IP. Insomniac is kidding themselves if they will find someone besides MS to fund the game. Spiderman is different because Sony owns the movie rights and they need it to rejuvenate a franchise that they struggled with for amazing spiderman. Sony reveres Spiderman so much they used the Spiderman font for the PS3 launch console.

LMAO.

Head.spawn

Does anyone want a Sunset Overdrive game over a Spider-Man game?

I mean apart from exclusivity stuff, if I had to pick between the two I'd go with Spider-Man.

I can easily say i have zero interest in a Spider Man game. There have been plenty of them throughout the years and after the SNES ones, twenty years past that.. the novelty of him on a game has worn off, so many other characters to choose from if we're going with super hero's that could be so much more interesting.

Sony isn't finding this.

Top Bottom