• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Introducing the Potato Masher "Pro" (PC priced at PS4 Pro price)

Renekton

Well I mean they could have gone ARM. The ARM 64-bit architecture is pretty powerful if you give it as much power draw as low-power x86. There are custom ARM 64-bit implementations with massive core count used for server and datacenter applications and they outclass Xeons in perf/watt. But for reasons of easing development x86 was chosen over ARM, and really after the difficulties of the PowerPC 360/PS3 era it's not hard to see why.
Checking the ARMv8 timeline, it doesn't seem like it could make Christmas 2013 😐

AMD's own A1100 finally limped out this year lol.

It's not.

The available choices were Intel, AMD, Nvidia, or going ARM.

Intel is not a valid choice, their iGPUs do not supply enough graphical power. They would have needed to combine Intel CPU + Nvidia or AMD GPU.

Nvidia is not a valid choice, unless they were going ARM because Nvidia does not have a license for x86 architecture. Nintendo made the choice to go ARM, hence Nvidia Tegra in the Switch.

AMD, by process of elimination, was the only valid choice (unless they were going ARM). Unfortunately AMD CPU performance is abysmal when considering perf/watt or hell just straight up perf. So Sony/MS made the best of it, the CPU was going to be shit but at least they could get 8 cores of shit and let the devs figure out how multithreaded game code works. At least they could also get a decent performing GPU and AMD was willing to give the whole thing to them for a song which let them hit their launch price targets, unlike Intel/Nvidia who would charge out the ass.

So yeah, Jaguar is a piece of shit, but it's there for many good reasons. $399 launch price of PS4 is one, low power usage allowing for much less cooling required and smaller console form factor is another. The biggest reason though is that they could get a pretty decent AMD GPU without paying Nvidia ungodly sums of money.

Interesting, thanks for shedding some light on that.

What if every game had a PS4 pro patch.

PC

These videos are always awesome. You don't even have to skim the aftermarket barrel like him for affordable parts though. For around $600 you can build a really comparable rig.

There's truly never been a better time for entry level or mid level PC gaming.
Wait, so he's comparing a 400 USD pc built with aftermarket parts, to a full-price PS4Pro at 400USD, in order to make a value comparison?

That makes no sense. Surely he should be buying new parts to compare prices with a new console.

oSoLucky

He goes about this in a pretty confusing way. I would have preferred the scenario of "I'm a person with $400, what parts are possible to scrounge up and will it give me better performance than PS4Pro". The thrift shopping is my favorite part.

That's my preferred approach, but one that not many seem to take in discussion of the subject. One way or another it seems to be slanted toward whatever the person's conclusion is.

Cost of OS/controllers/PS+/peripherals should be included, with prices that can be found shopping around(no way I'd ever pay $120 for Win10 or $60/yr for PS+. I'm actually averaging around $32/yr). On top of that, in the US, you've been able to get Pros for $360 or even lower since launch with little to no effort. If MSRP is used for one thing then it will need to be used for all IMO.

I think that's the closest you could get to objectively answering the question. Leave game costs out of it too.

I think the whole topic is way overblown and has roots in platform wars anyway. Going into building a PC to beat the PS4 in performance is the wrong mindset to have. It should be to squeeze the best performance out within one's budget, unless that just happens to be exactly what a PS4 costs. It's a silly metric.

Edit: I'm probably overthinking the whole thing but this debate is brought up so often.

Wait, so he's comparing a 400 USD pc built with aftermarket parts, to a full-price PS4Pro at 400USD, in order to make a value comparison?

That makes no sense. Surely he should be buying new parts to compare prices with a new console.

I don't think you know what aftermarket means.

Well there's tons of parts out there, but I believe the original computer he built a while back like two years ago? Was built aftermarket at least for the CPU. He's just swapped out the GPU for this. That's an old processor in there.

PC can do real 4K.

And wow does it breath new life into old games.

31066369352_f7eee92d37_b.jpg

cheesekao

I don't think it's a pretty even comparison TBH. Common sense dictates that the PS4 is at an inherent disadvantage due to one having to replace an entire console versus PC where you can sell and keep certain parts. This video might help those who have a PS4-specced PC and a PS4, which I don't think is very likely, but what about those who have neither?

PC can do real 4K.
When you can reduce the resolution, use checker-boarding to get near 4k-quality and use those extra resources to improve certain graphical settings and framerate, I don't see why having such an option is bad. PS4 can do real 4k as well btw.

I don't doubt it looks good but you're not doing the game any favors by capturing an off screen pic.

ghostjoke

Banned
Maybe not? I thought it meant used?

Aftermarket basically means replacement parts/accessories after the original purchase (in this case the original Potato Masher). It has nothing to do with second hand/pre-owned, although it can include them.

It might be confusing as one is an entire console and one is a single piece of hardware, but when you get down to how much money he is spending over the same amount of years, including trade ins and what not, the money needed for a PC to keep on par or above with a PS4 and the Pro is surprisingly low without resorting to second hand. There are caveats, but Sony has opened the lid on the caveat well when it comes to the Pro.

I don't think it's a pretty even comparison TBH. Common sense dictates that the PS4 is at an inherent disadvantage due to one having to replace an entire console versus PC where you can sell and keep certain parts. This video might help those who have a PS4-specced PC and a PS4, which I don't think is very likely, but what about those who have neither?

If your're building a new PC and only want "new" parts you have to ask yourself if you're willing to spend more $600 is the min build I'd recommend with new parts (to get a more powerful rig than a PS4 pro). You also get a fully functional PC, a massive backwards compatible library and access to PC unique titles. The cost isn't going to be exactly the same, but neither is the resulting product either. Personally with how great the mid level GPU's are and the great deals. The problem is a lot of parts that would make it PS4/pro equivalent really, I would not tell people to buy because they are older parts that are outdated.

cheesekao

If your're building a new PC and only want "new" parts you have to ask yourself if you're willing to spend more $600 is the min build I'd recommend with new parts (to get a more powerful rig than a PS4 pro). You also get a fully functional PC, a massive backwards compatible library and access to PC unique titles. The cost isn't going to be exactly the same, but neither is the resulting product either. Personally with how great the mid level GPU's are and the great deals. The problem is a lot of parts that would make it PS4/pro equivalent really, I would not tell people to buy because they are older parts that are outdated.
My point was that a video showing what a PC you can buy can do against a PS4Pro for people who have a limited budget would be far more useful. In this case, it's $400. I don't think anyone on a budget would care if something is "new" or "old" as long as it gets them the best bang for their buck.

When you can reduce the resolution, use checker-boarding to get near 4k-quality and use those extra resources to improve certain graphical settings and framerate, I don't see why having such an option is bad. PS4 can do real 4k as well btw.

I don't doubt it looks good but you're not doing the game any favors by capturing an off screen pic.

The pic wasn't meant for this thread, it was meant for the KS8000 which is why I have the offscreen pic. I'll take a quick screenshot.

Semantics, but yes it can do native 4096*2160p as well.

I would never get a pc for the price of a console.
Just invest a little bit more and get a lot more power.

Generally, I agree with you, just for sake of longevity, the upfront cost ends up saving you in the long run. Especially now with moores law kind of at a slowdown, a current I7, like the 6700k which is on sale for $250 will last you a loooong time.

That's not to say a budget rig can't offer a phenomenal experience, I have several friends with rigs in the lower price range. it's just usually once you start looking at it, you go "well I could get more out my purchase by spending a little more here etc.)

Tenck

Well there's tons of parts out there, but I believe the original computer he built a while back like two years ago? Was built aftermarket at least for the CPU. He's just swapped out the GPU for this. That's an old processor in there.

Whoa what game is that?

CryptiK

Pretty sure if a PC that's built with $400-$500 has a CPU about 4x better in terms of single-threaded performance, they could've thrown in something far better and not had to worry about pricing it differently.
No thats not how it works, thats not how any of it works.

I love these videos. It is fascinating to see what kind of performance a budget PC can offer or how much of a boost you can expect when putting a new graphics card in an old PC. The comparison to the PS4 Pro is also quite fair.

Melchiah

A few things to note: The "potato masher pro" does not include a Blu-ray Drive, 1TB HDD, cheap headset or a DS4 controller. It's not really a comparable package in the traditional sense. That said, I'm aware some of those components and accessories are not required for gaming on a PC.

And speaking as a Brit, you can't really build anything close to a PS4 Pro for £330.

The value proposition is in favour of the Pro, in UK at least.

The same applies in Finland, and the PC games aren't that much cheaper here, if you prefer to buy physical copies.

91x4wpxl.jpg

YMMV: The Video.

I would usually advise against going for a budget PC, but the wealth of titles that can be played — including all the latest indies — still makes it a good value proposition if you've missed out on them.

Honestly the one reason I'll never upgrade a pc isn't for $ specs, it's just the fact that exclusives will stay just that on playstation.

XB1 games are on pc now and thats stellar, but uncharted 4 is only on ps4

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
PC can do real 4K.

That's nice, but if you could render 6K checkerboard and downsample to 4K with similar performance then why wouldn't you do that?

Well generally it means native 4K resolution which is entirely dependent on the game.

I'm pretty sure he was talking about HDR.

Modest PCs cranking out old games in 4k is great, although it depends on the quality of the UI scaling. Still, no need for remasters in many cases.

Definitely, I mean, I can see where the image files for this guy are, so technically I could redo some of them myself, most of it is fine, but a few elements are a little stretched. But they aren't that bad here and you don't necessarily have access for all games. But this is from 2011, I haven't really tried anything much older than 2008/09.

That's nice, but if you could render 6K checkerboard and downsample to 4K with similar performance then why wouldn't you do that?

No doubt we would love that. I love that slowly PC games are getting Dynamic resolution and I imagine checker-boarding will follow too. Some great tech born from necessity.

These videos always seem pointless to me. You buy a console to play console exclusives. Doesn't matter how good the hardware is if it can't run the games I want to play. That's why I own both.

EmiPrime

Meanwhile in the UK a GTX 1060 6GB is £250, Windows 10 home edition is £100 and we're already at the PS4 Pro price point.

Linkyn

Honestly the one reason I'll never upgrade a pc isn't for $ specs, it's just the fact that exclusives will stay just that on playstation.

XB1 games are on pc now and thats stellar, but uncharted 4 is only on ps4

This tends to be my thought process, as well, albeit inverted. I tend to upgrade my PC first in order to get access to multiplats and PC exclusives (with all the performance and flexibility the environment entails). With consoles, I prefer to wait a few years until there's been a first hardware revision, or until there is a decent number of exclusives (since console versions of multiplats aren't a draw for me). This also informs my console purchase order, being generally Nintendo > Sony > Microsoft (although I have yet to buy an XBox, since the current generation tends to end before I get to the point where I both want the system and have the time / money to justify a purchase).

gelf

I can't watch the video right now but does that mean they have retired the original potato? That would be a shame for me as I used it to gauge if my similarly specced system could handle latest releases.

Plum

Meanwhile in the UK a GTX 1060 6GB is £250, Windows 10 home edition is £100 and we're already at the PS4 Pro price point.

Yeah, budget PC building is silly here in Britain. You really need to have a budget of at least £700 or more if you want something that can be considered quite good, especially if you're factoring in OS and accessory costs.

These videos always seem pointless to me. You buy a console to play console exclusives. Doesn't matter how good the hardware is if it can't run the games I want to play. That's why I own both.

Not everyone can afford both, and not everyone cares about exclusives. These kind of comparisons are helpful for people who are unsure what would be the best choice for them and don't particularly care about Uncharted or Halo or whatever the console they're also considering has.

I can't watch the video right now but does that mean they have retired the original potato? That would be a shame for me as I used it to gauge if my similarly specced system could handle latest releases.

Yeah he quoted in the video the Old Potato is still being kept :)

Yeah, budget PC building is silly here in Britain. You really need to have a budget of at least £700 or more if you want something that can be considered quite good, especially if you're factoring in OS and accessory costs.

Shame really. I'd rather have one of these and my old ps4 than a pro.
= Skyrim Goodness with no shitty stutter plus I'd possibly give Witcher 3 a go too.

derFeef

Helpful video by those who wants to compare and get some details.
Also really happy to see me some Space Marine pictures in here. Love that game.

EmiPrime

Yeah anything less than £700-800 just isn't worth it.

I can build the same system in the UK for £650, with new parts. If I could source aftermarket parts, I could drop it to £450/500.

image.png

Comes to £575, without the OS. You can save £60 by switching the 6GB 1060 for a 4GB RX470.

Bare in mind these parts could be found slightly cheaper elsewhere.

Top Bottom