• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lizard squad unmasked by another hacker group.

Noaloha

No, I'm in Los Angeles.

I'm a mid-profile developer, ex was streaming. The aforementioned hacker's MO was to target female streamers and threaten swatting unless they gave him nudes (apparently most will comply, which is sad). She didn't, so we got swatted. I talked it out with the team, and they were very polite about it. LAPD weren't able to do anything about the guy. Some friends did a private investigation that provided some information to Canadian law enforcement (identity and evidence), but apparently they didn't do anything with that either.

Christ, :/

saunderez

honestly the thing i'm thinking the most is "damn i am truly incompetent if literal children understand how internets and computers work infinitely better than i do"
Nah, you could've done the same thing at their age. I'm not proud of it but when I was 12/13 me a friend mucked around with a couple of popular trojans, managed to infect quite a few computers. The trojans were easy to get and relatively easy to distribute (this was before Bittorent). This was back in the days of dialup so the damage we could do was pretty limited compared to what is possible now, but the general methods involved haven't changed.

Phamit

tumblr_n08ot1x6EG1saa4c5o1_400.gif

hopefully we never see those lizard guys again

Donos

Reading through all the tweets and homepage from finestsquad... holy shit they are really ruthless and thouroughly. Don't want to have them as enemies.

And some of these lizard guys are really kids smh.

saunderez

You would pick brats wanting to fuck up your services "just because" over ... wait huge shitty corps, says who?
That's just it. In my mind if they had a cause they were fighting for I might be able to do some mental gymnastics and cut them some slack. But there was no cause. Just "lol PSN/XBL/Steam is offline". To that I say fuck you cunts and good riddance you've been exposed.

It's usually left open to be monitored and watched.

But damn those are some young hackers. If it wasn't for that dumb threat with the airplane they possibly could have even been offered jobs... .hell how do you think google and Facebook got a few people on there staff....

Could of had a future somewhere....good luck now.

No they wouldn't have.

saunderez

Then why releasing the information to the public instead of simply sending it to the FBI or the judge?
Deterrence is a good one. If law enforcement doesn't do their job and round these guys up they'll think twice before doing it again. The literal "I've got your number". I have very little faith these kids will face justice through the legal system. They'll get a slap on the wrist at most due to the fact they're juvenile.

Chucker

What general area of MD was the one dude from? Don't want specifics, just curious as to what type of neighborhood he/she's from.

Wabba

Too bad that they are to young to get any prison time. Hope they get a good fine and they should be pushed to have a foot alarm with and small EMP grenade so every time they are in contact of a computer they get electrified and the power goes off.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
This is great, I don't feel bad about any of their details being posted. At the end of the day if you want to go around doing something wrong and annoying huge amounts of people then you better expect to get caught.

I find it more amusing that disrupting PSN and XBL seemed like it was the tipping point here. They can go around doing whatever and nobody cared but they fuck with our games that's crossed the line so better release their details and stop these punks lol.

There is a big overlap between the gaming and hacker communities. So when somebody starts DDOSing gaming services you bound to piss off quite a few hackers. I am not surprised that these guys have been taken down by a hackergroup. For better or worse "fucking with our games" is a big nono for alot hackers. Other fields aren't that fortunate, like I don't think hackers really care about things like the Sony Pictures hack or that nude celebrity leak.

TheContact

Too bad that they are to young to get any prison time. Hope they get a good fine and they should be pushed to have a foot alarm with and small EMP grenade so every time they are in contact of a computer they get electrified and the power goes off.

I don't think these kids should get prison time. I really hate them but they deserve a fine and a ban from the Internet for a while

LiK

Wow, I love their profile info. A hacker group doing good. Excellent. Lizard Squad was a pain in the ass.

Wabba

I don't think these kids should get prison time. I really hate them but they deserve a fine and a ban from the Internet for a while

They should. They are systematically damaging the reputation of big companies and destroying for millions of consumers that have already paid for a service that should be up. And they have made treats that are really serious. If people get months and years for tax frauds this guys should attest get some prison time.

saunderez

They should. They are systematically damaging the reputation of big companies and destroying for millions of consumers that have already paid for a service that should be up. And they have made treats that are really serious. If people get months and years for tax frauds this guys should attest get some prison time.
Unfortunately it's the difference between pissing off a corporation and pissing off the government. Corporations have too much power but they got nothing on a government. You piss off a government enough and they'll literally write laws to punish you.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Good to hear, I hope someone they've pissed off locally kicks their asses.
Seeing that Twitter it seems these junior hackers are like a bunch of childish schoolyard idiots.
I don't understand why these types never put their talents to any worthwhile use.

Of course they deserve prison time. That GDKJordie kid was tweeting pictures of his marijuana farm, saying that's how they fund lizard squad. I can understand if they had a political, economical or societal agenda but they didn't. Doing it because 'fuck you that's why' is stupid and deserves punishment.

Kyoufu

Are there really people defending Lizard Squad in this thread? Why would you defend anyone who reports a fake bomb threat and causes a flight to be delayed? What the fuck.

jesu

I think one or more of them were doing that 'swatting' thing, and maybe a bomb threat to an airline.
They deserve jail time if true.

I'm sure another group will take the spot just to test the water. Only a matter of time. But its good I guess being holiday is around the corner.

btkadams

What were they expecting? DDoS attacks against gamers? Im obviously stereotyping but Id think you'd be pissing off other hackers at that point. You're playing with fire.

saunderez

I'm sure another group will take the spot just to test the water. Only a matter of time. But its good I guess being holiday is around the corner.
I think they'll be deterred from doing so because of the threat of being dox'd. Whoever is dumb enough to take their place has to first accept the reality they are going to be under the microscope next.

Sakujou

Banned
Or maybe its just Lizard Squad fooling everyone. 2 weeks later. More hacks. "We're back" Bla Bla

i hope this.

its weird, that there is a hacker group helping out cia and some major multi billion companies for no profit.

especially if you see companies like ms and sony exploited and fooling everyone out there.

i dont know if this was true or not, but if you hand out information about sonys insecure online-service and sony doesnt give a shit, there is seriously something wrong out there.

Wasn't lizard squad supposed to take down xbox servers? Damn, I really wanted to see that. Then there wouldn't be the "at least xbox live didn't go down for a few months" in the PSN vs xbox live debates.

Maybe I'm thinking of another group.

Top Bottom