• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid V Res Confirmed: Sub-720p (PS3/360), 720p (XB1), 1080p (PS4)

Jtrizzy

So I understand that both have the same cpu, as well as the RAM difference, but can anyone compare the two gpu's in terms of a PC gpu comparison for me? 720 to 1080 is a big jump performance wise, I have a an i7/580, and it seems to be pretty close to PS4 in AC IV and Tomb Raider.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I remember the other day, someone on twitter say that PS4 had better framerate as well:

ZSBoBtq.png

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=768302

Zeppeli

Banned
No offense, but why enter a spec thread to not talk about performance? Perhaps someone is only going to buy one console and want the best value for their money. Most people buy 3rd party software so these comparisons are important.

More or less I'm just slightly bothered that people are acting as if this is surprising. We've known for a long time that the Xbox One was going to be weaker than the beast that is the PS4, but it shouldn't deter people from buying a system just because of technical specifications.

So I understand that both have the same cpu, as well as the RAM difference, but can anyone compare the two gpu's in terms of a PC gpu comparison for me? 720 to 1080 is a big jump performance wise, I have a an i7/580, and it seems to be pretty close to PS4 in AC IV and Tomb Raider.

PS4 is about a GTX 660
X1 is about a 650 ti non-boost edition.

Oh and again this is a direct result of

32 ROPs vs 16 ROPs

The PS4 at the most basic level, when given the same data stream will render it out twice as fast as the X1. Simple. The extra .25x pixels can be equated to the added memory bandwidth.

So that means 1080p vs 720p @ 60fps when pushing the same engine.

Didn't Hideo say the PS4 is doing this with room to spare?

Bgamer90

Banned
Wow, is there any game besides Forza at 1080p/60 on the XB1? The hardware just has major problems with 1080p so far... I really can't tell the difference between the 360 and XB1 versions

All sports games are 1080p/60 FPS on both consoles. Rayman Legends is too.

Believe the Lego games and Dying Light is also. You also have the upcoming smaller digital titles like Strider.

He did? Link, please.

And I can't wait for that comparison video Kojima is making.

I think, between the home consoles available in the domestic market, the PS4 is the best. It’s also excellent for graphics, being able to render 1080p at 60fps with room to spare. Since it does it a little better than other hardware, the image quality of the PS4 is the most beautiful. It’s the closest to the photorealistic quality we are aiming at.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/02...th-room-to-spare-the-closest-to-photorealism/

So we know it's 720p to 1080p. Is it possible the average framerate is also different? Any signs of different effects/AA/textures?

Zornack

More or less I'm just slightly bothered that people are acting as if this is surprising. We've known for a long time that the Xbox One was going to be weaker than the beast that is the PS4, but it shouldn't deter people from buying a system just because of technical specifications.

Superior multiplats shouldn't be a reason to pick one system over another? What?

Evo_Nine

Banned
fk xbox, im selling that POS.

I originally bought it because of the azure servers which I don't even get any benefit from (being in aus)

Halo in 2015, titanfall I can get on pc.

why keep the xbox??? I really don't know now.

Last gen it was about framerate. This gen its about resolution.

The game continues.

Oh well ..... I have both so I will just go PS4 on this one.

big_z

Why aren't there any PS4/XBO comparison shots?

The difference between PS3/4 is like night and day.

probably to avoid feeding the fanboys directly although that doesn't seems to have stopped anyone.

outside of resolution the ps4/one versions will look largely the same. kids claiming the xbone version looks like the last gen version are straight up trolling.

DieH@rd

Banned
I'm curious, honest question, why are you guys really surprised given the magnitude of irrefutable evidence proving the PS4 is more powerful than the Xbox One, in which if any respectable developer does not gimp on the PS4, it will always 100% of the time have the best version.

I was fully aware of the PS4 hardware lead, but I expected that they would manage to reach stable 60fps at 900p. [900p vs 1080p ~ 40% of pixel difference, 720p vs 1080p - 225% of pixel difference].

At least Xboen users will be sure that there will be no framedrops [there better not be!!!].

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Wow, I didn't expect the Xbox One version to be 720p. The PS4 version clearly looks the best out of the lot. Those images are really crisp.

malfcn

PS4 is looking nice.
If I get around to another Metal Gear game I am sure I will enjoy it on XB1.

Now imagine if XB1 got the classic skin instead of the Raiden mission.
mgs_classic_snake.jpg

Man

The Xbone hardware is a catastrophe. The engineers made terrible decisions. Also on the OS software side.

Amir0x

Banned

People are not necessarily surprised by there being a difference, but by the -scale- of the difference. This gap is massive between versions, especially if the framerate is also much more consistent on PS4 as is being reported. If the framerate is also much better AND it's 1080p on PS4, that's a bigger difference than even the hardware gap would imply. So it's fascinating.

But more than anything, it's important consumers are informed. NeoGAF makes sport out of it, but the core thing is that it's educating people as to what they're buying when they go into the store and have to make a choice between versions they may purchase. The less ignorant a consumer is before making a purchase, the better.

GHG

What's wrong with the 660? I have two running in SLI and have never had an issue.

I also actually have 2 in SLI BTW (albeit the 3GB versions).

The issue is explained in the links in that post. Have a read, everything is explained in detail.

The issue doesn't exist if you have the 3GB versions (natural VRAM and bandwidth configuration, no bottlenecks), and it is somewhat alleviated if you configure them in SLI since the lack of bandwidth in certain scenarios is overcome by the brute-force of having 2 cards.

I was fully aware of the PS4 hardware lead, but I expected that they would manage to reach stable 60fps at 900p. [900p vs 1080p ~ 40% of pixel difference]

Oh I see, you were just thinking they could have at least hit 900p. Actually now that I think about it, I made claims that the PS4 would be 1080p and the X1 would be 900p. I was wrong.

Toki767

I don't believe that.I can't think of any reason the PS4 would run a game at 1080p significantly better than the same game runs on XB1 at 720p.

I'd imagine it was potentially the case if Ground Zeroes was 900p. Maybe they brought it down to 720p for a locked 60fps?

Zeppeli

Banned
People are not necessarily surprised by there being a difference, but by the -scale- of the difference. This gap is massive between versions, especially if the framerate is also much more consistent on PS4 as is being reported.

But more than anything, it's important consumers are informed. NeoGAF makes sport out of it, but the core thing is that it's educating people as to what they're buying when they go into the store and have to make a choice between versions they may purchase. The less ignorant a consumer is before making a purchase, the better.

I think the whole "making a sport out of it" nails why I'm kind of bothered by the reactions to this.

Yes. It is important for consumers to be informed as to the precise differences in multiplatform games, including resolution, framerate and different effects in place so they can make the informed decision over which version they would get.

For example, a consumer might prefer the XBO controller and online functionality, but might feel the gap is so big on a particular multiplatform game that they'd get it for PS4. Or the opposite might be true: the difference between multiplatform games might be small enough that they'll just go with the system that allows them to play with their favorite controller.

It makes me laugh every time people like you come into these threads that clearly annoy you only to complain about consumers being better informed. The implication being you would actually prefer we don't have these discussions, so that consumers might be more ignorant.

My point is if you care about resolution and frame rate, you need not to look any further than the PS4. If that is what you care about, 9 times out of 10 the PS4 will deliver over the Xbox One. I would like to think most people who do care about such things have already purchased a PS4, and thus making threads like this meaningless in terms of consumer knowledge. In the case the consumer doesn't care about these things, that also makes the thread meaningless.

EDIT: Unless you were giving an example in which the consumer already has both the PS4 and Xbox One. In that case I agree with you.

Top Bottom