• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft ready to talk to devs who want crossplay

quest

Not Banned from OT
Let's be honest here. MS are the ones who benefits the most from this out of all the platform holders here.

And the development community and gamers would benefit the most so all platform holders win period. Everyone would make more money.

quest

Not Banned from OT
They wouldn't be singing this tune if they were market leaders. Sorry not genuine at all

Actually they would be this is new management. They spent 2 billion on mine craft you think it would not have to cross play if Xbox was doing well lol? Always fun to listen to corporate defenders.

ianpm31

Me as a consumer can careless because it benefits me, you shouldn't either

But you have to understand the business reasons why Sony doesn't want to do it. Every multiplatform game has a bigger community on their platform. So just throw away all that brand building away because MS says NOW is the time to do crossplay?

phanphare

Banned
But you have to understand the business reasons why Sony doesn't want to do it. Every multiplatform game has a bigger community on their platform. So just throw away all that brand building away because MS says NOW is the time to do crossplay?

if developers who make games for Sony platforms want it and if consumers who bought into Sony's ecosystem want it?

yeah

Nanashrew

Banned
But you have to understand the business reasons why Sony doesn't want to do it. Every multiplatform game has a bigger community on their platform. So just throw away all that hard work because MS says NOW is the time to do crossplay?

Yet I don't believe it too. Sony has not once even used their playerbase to tout why they have no plans for crossplay between other systems which is strange. It's strange because at least it would make some sense compared to what they've been saying like protecting the children when Nintendo of all companies are on board with this.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
They wouldn't be singing this tune if they were market leaders. Sorry not genuine at all

Well that's based on a hypothetical scenario, and in actual fact its Sony who backpedaled now while everyone else is moving to multiple ways crossplay

ianpm31

Yet I don't believe it too. Sony has not once even used their playerbase to tout why they have no plans for crossplay between other systems which is strange. It's strange because at least it would make some sense compared to what they've been saying like protecting the children when Nintendo of all companies are on board with this.

I get where you are coming from but Nintendo NEEDS a online community and MS wants a piece of Sony's community. We don't see Sony or Valve crying about this I wonder why

Well i hope they succeed in convincing sony too if this is anything more than a pr move.
Can't wait for this thread to devolve into the same weekly bullshit.
Before we go ahead with it,lets all realize neither company is the good guy and theyre not doing favors to anyone but themselves. Sony isn't protecting the gamers and ms isnt going around approving all forms of crossplay(just recently they shut down cross play in lawbreakers). If theres enough people who want it, im sure sony will oblige under pressure. Ironically posting 4theplayers all over the thread will not do shit. That only serves to bring in people who defend the current situation.

What game would be the one to get Sony to back the fuck down from their bullshit? Destiny? CoD? Would/could Sony push their marketing deals to lock those down from going cross-plat?

Also, MS should re-float their idea of a shared re-release of Goldeneye with Nintendo, but now with cross-play.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Idk, maybe. This new xbox leadership group seems to be doing what is right for the gamer more times than not. The previous xbox group would probably never do cross network play but this group seems to actually give a shit about their customers.

What game would be the one to get Sony to back the fuck down from their bullshit? Destiny? CoD? Would/could Sony push their marketing deals to lock those down from going cross-plat?

Also, MS should re-float their idea of shared re-release of Goldeneye with Nintendo, but now with cross-play.

I wish Capcom would do it for MvC:I...PC really needs crossplay for fighting games IMO

etta

my hard graphic balls
Dude, we get it, they want the advantage of the biggest community, but you’re defending someone who claimed they are not allowing cross-play because it would harm children.
That’s genuine?

Anyone else read this as "Cosplay" and not Crossplay?

steve baller rocking samus cosplay is my thing.

steve-ballmer.jpg

When corporations do things that are anti-consumer, we call them out on it.

When corporations do something that are pro-consumer, we question "how genuine their motivations are." Like, not only do you have to do the right thing, but you also have to have motivations that are as pure as freshly fallen snow.

Everybody gets Sony's "business reasons," nobody doesn't understand that. It's that Sony's business reasons are anti-consumer bull shit, and as a consumer, I don't give a shit about "their business reasons," I give a shit about their platform being a more compelling consumer product, which it is if it supports cross-platform online play.

It's like we have this suddenly great opportunity in the videogame space for universal cross-platform play, and rather than people universally being like, "Yes, let's do this," some people become armchair investors that need to justify the corporate incentives for a billion dollar company, instead of simple consumers.

*edit*

Also there is some slight chance that making better features for your console is a good business decision.

What are these business reasons you're talking about?

Yes as a consumer i can careless what sony wants, we decide how they're going to keep the lights on. Anti consumer decisions like this shouldn't be defended

ResoRai

I get where you are coming from but Nintendo NEEDS a online community and MS wants a piece of Sony's community. We don't see Sony or Valve crying about this I wonder why
I know thry have been pushing for it, but Jesus at the bolded. Still, I get where you're coming from aswell, but neither Sony or Valve own anything like Minecraft. The game is on everything with a large fractured userbase and split development. Well, not anymore.

Ploid 3.0

Maybe this will end up helping Switch get more third party games. If not it'll mostly be Xbox + PC, and maybe PC players would have the option of picking the PS4 or Xbox users to play with (why not, especially with devs that already do PC + PS4 cross play a lot, like EPIC).

Why should we care if Sony wants it or not? I really can't understand this angle.

And, afaik, Nintendo has actually been silent on the matter, despite playing along. The kind of games that could be cross-network on their platform aren't integral to their strategy anyway. They help them, sure, but at the end of the day they value their exclusives and the uniqueness of their platform above all else.

Keinning

When corporations do things that are anti-consumer, we call them out on it.

Unless it's Sony, it seems

This "if microsoft was the leader they would do the same!!" argument is baffling. If they did, they would deserve the same treatment. But they aren't. It's Sony now, it can be Microsoft in the future, hell even Nintendo in bizarro world, the one doing it doesnt matter one bit, what matters is standing for the side who benefits you as a consumer.

Except now they will have the smallest player base.

Steam + Xbox + Switch > PlayStation.

Aside from that, who the hell actually cares about the business reasons? It's bad for the consumer, full-stop. That's what matters.

phanphare

Banned
I read it and I still don't get it. Outside of Nintendo which is obviously the outlier here, what is currently stopping xbox and Pc? Isn't that already cross play and aren't devs who want it already doing it? Like I'm confused

yeah I was talking the console to console crossplay which your post seemed to indicate you had missed

Sony is so stupid. If I was in charge I'd just say "ok but your users need to make PSN accounts because that's the only way we can get it to work the way our system is set up".

If MS says no they'd be able to PR it as MS not being genuine about crossplay. If MS says ok they've now just added millions of new PSN accounts. Win-win.

But nah stupid Sony is just gonna stick with "but but what about the children?!"

New002

This comes up in every thread about cross-play. So what? None of that changes the fact that I want cross-play. I don't really care in which companies best interests it is or isn't, as a gamer and a consumer it's in my best interest. People want to act like cross-play would all of a sudden tank Sony's gaming division -_-.

Phamit

Valve doesn't seem to care anyway, Nintendo doesn't seem to have a problem either. Not sure why they still need to talk to them.

which would easily be debunked by rocket league anyway

Not really. Sony could always just say what they can do in their development studio setting is different than our actual backend. Nobody controls PSN but Sony so nobody could really definitively debunk anything.

big_z

Cross platform is much needed to extend life spans of online games and it would be nice to be able to play with all your friends no matter what platform.... except for those with only a PlayStation.

One step closer to dyacks one console future.

Keinning

Not really. Sony could always just say what they can do in their development studio setting is different than our actual backend. Nobody controls PSN but Sony so nobody could really definitively debunk anything.

Not really how? Rocket league devs already said they had everything ready for crossplay except for sony saying "yes", without needing to use XBL or PSN accounts in any sense. Sure, Sony could say they didn't say yes because they needed the accounts in the end, but it would be an easily spotted lie which would backfire on them.

Dynomutt

Cross platform is much needed to extend life spans of online games and it would be nice to be able to play with all your friends no matter what platform.... except for those with only a PlayStation.

One step closer to dyacks one console future.

This would be terrible.

Not really how? Rocket league devs already said they had everything ready for crossplay except for sony saying "yes", without needing to use XBL or PSN accounts in any sense. Sure, Sony could say they didn't say yes because they needed the accounts in the end, but it would be an easily spotted lie which would backfire on them.

What does that mean "without needing to use XBL or PSN?" I don't think that's true at all. Neither console let's you go online and play a game without using an account.

Sony has business reasons to make consumer unfriendly decisions. Get off their back! Microsoft's decision to give gamers and devs what they want benefits them so they are the real villain here, don't you see!?

Without needing one side to have all XBL accounts or all PSN accounts. My bad.

I see. But I'm saying Sony could just make some excuse like if that's done it'll cause havoc to their backend when players show up in matchmaking without some sort of PSN identifier. There's no way to definitively prove they're lying short of someone who works in Sony debunking it.

In any case it's a better lie than "but the children!"

Gren

Mentioning Valve seems kinda odd, why would they need to speak to them? Wouldn't they always work with the devs anyways in regards to Steam games?

Sony is so stupid. If I was in charge I'd just say "ok but your users need to make PSN accounts because that's the only way we can get it to work the way our system is set up".

If MS says no they'd be able to PR it as MS not being genuine about crossplay. If MS says ok they've now just added millions of new PSN accounts. Win-win.

But nah stupid Sony is just gonna stick with "but but what about the children?!"
What you're suggesting doesn't make sense. There's no technical reason for Sony to require PSN for other developers games on other platforms for cross-play to work. So no, that wouldn't be reasonable.

The only reason MS requires an "Xbox" account for Minecraft is because the entire concept of their implementation requires a centralized account system, and as the developer and publisher of the game they naturally use their own, existing account system. For PlayStation players, if they were to get Minecraft cross-play, they'd still be going through PSN primarily, with the XBL login being used for authentication to access your cross-platform friend's list, custom servers, paid content, etc..

For other developers they could use the same system if they were to implement a service with similar needs (if Destiny were to go cross-play, expect the exact same system, only with Bungie.net replacing XBL). Or, they can implement a simple matchmaking system and leave it at that, a la Rocket League.

Neither scenario requires Sony to do anything other than just say "ok". There are no technical requirements on their end. Hell, Rocket League is literally ready to go NOW, they just need the okay, then they can click a literal box and in minutes people would be playing together.

Mikey Jr.

Incoming 1000 page thread about Sony!

MS probably digs this up every few weeks just to poke the beehive. They love it.

Top Bottom