• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft ready to talk to devs who want crossplay

ironmang

How would this work? Would console players get some kind of Auto aim assist? They'd be at a huge disadvantage without it.

Ideally kb+m and controller players would be kept separate. There's already aim assist and it's still nowhere close to what you can do with kb+m. Plus you have the high possibility of cheating when you start including PCs.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Ok, let me get this straight.

Microsoft wants to do this, because they are behind, and it makes business sense.

Sony doesn't want to do it, because they are in the lead, and it makes business sense.

Ok, they are both doing what makes sense for their business, so why do we give a shit about their motivations? One choice is great for us players!

Keinning

Incoming 1000 page thread about Sony!

MS probably digs this up every few weeks just to poke the beehive. They love it.

Poor sony, they're just thinking about their business.
Those devious MS folks brainwashing the masses with this nonsensical "crossplay solutions are benefitial for users first and foremost" folktale. Wake up sheeple!

Ok, they are both doing what makes sense for their business, so why do we give a shit about their motivations? One choice is great for us players!

Because the choice which is good for the players isn't that good for Sony (apparently, because less populated MP games having an increased userbase wouldn't benefit playstation too for some reason)

And we can't have that. Sony interests come before my interests as a consumer, obviously.

Mikey Jr.

Poor sony, they're just thinking about their business.
Those devious MS folks brainwashing the masses with this nonsensical "crossplay solutions are benefitial for users first and foremost" folktale. Wake up sheeple!

We know Sony's stance.

We know MS stance.

Just going around in circles and circles, brining it back up after X amount of days.

Next headline: MS wants crossplay with........OUYA?!?!

GAF Thread: Fucking Sony.

Repeat.

We know Sony's stance.

We know MS stance.

Just going around in circles and circles.

This.

Tbh this is being dragged out imo and the strength of consumers will dictate how this lifts off. All I know is until a major third party bring this idea forward, then we will see how much people want it. Minecraft is the biggest game in the world but I stand by my point that it's not enough to make noise. If Take Two or Activision start chatting off about this, then the conversation gets somewhere.

Gaenor

Banned

Microsoft wants to do this, because they are behind, and it makes business sense.

Sony doesn't want to do it, because they are in the lead, and it makes business sense.

I consider most people here level-headed, so i'm sure most agree with this.

In the end, if we push it enough, it will benefit all players and it might one day become a standard feature.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
How would this work? Would console players get some kind of Auto aim assist? They'd be at a huge disadvantage without it.

That's probably one of the reasons why Microsoft is ready to discuss with Valve/Nintendo and the devs

Nintendo also said they are OK with it.

Darknight

MS should just allow for Xbone users to make a PSN account for Crossplay and then have Sony have PSX players sign up for a Live account for this whole thing to work.

Win win on both camps.

If that is what is stopping Sony from agreeing, then why doesnt MS just play ball?

The only time I will really care is if we get a huge online MP game crossplay with MSxNxPC like COD/Destiny/whatever new game out there. (minecraft I could give 2 shits about)

CookTrain

Gee gosh guys, why are we still making threads about this? /s

The companies are as close as they've ever been to bridging the divide and it's a hot topic that some people have a fervent reason to show support for! But that cannot be, surely?

This discussion isn't going away any time soon. It'll flare up at every crossplay enabled release, at every developer who speaks out. Walled garden multiplayer has been exposed as the past and we're heading towards the future.

FyreWulff

hopefully this means more Win10/Steam crossplay, considering it's the same damn platform. I don't want Steam hegemony but when you buy a Win10 version of a game and it can't play with everyone on Steam, it's kinda hard to not just wait for the Steam version.

At least with crossplay you wouldn't have a downside to where you buy it.

DigSCCP

Yes and no.
Yes I couldnt care less about MS or Sony motivations.
No, I don't see cross play for all titles as a good thing for players.
For some titles, for some genres this could be a good thing...for others dont.
I dont wanna play against Mouse + Keyboard on shooters, nor people playing at insane frame rate versus 30 fps nor agaisnt hackers in titles that we are aware that are cheat fests.
MS is forcing it like is something good for players when in fact its not that simple. They are doing this just cause its good PR for them atm and we got a lot people buying it without thinking the posibles downsides.
Before anyone answer "just put an option and you are done" I don't see how creating another way to split the community can be something positive.
Before jumping into "lets do this" Im more intersted in see how they wanna do it.

btrboyev

Having a platform agnostic online system across consoles/PC would be a game changer. Nintendo should just let Microsoft do their online for them. Nintendo doesn't seem to know how to do it well still in 2017.

Hilbert

Yes and no.
I dont wanna play against Mouse + Keyboard on shooters, nor people playing at insane frame rate versus 30 fps nor agaisnt hackers in titles that we are aware that are cheat fests.
MS is forcing it like is something good for players when in fact its not that simple. They are doing this just cause its good PR for them atm and we got a lot people buying it without thinking the posibles downsides.
Before anyone answer "just put an option and you are done" I don't see how splitting the community can be something positive.
Before jumping into "lets do this" Im more intersted in see how they wanna do it.

Bolded contradict each other. You don't care about their motivations...but you just kind of have to talk about their motivations.

MS is just telling Devs if they want help, they are willing to help. It is still up to the devs, MS isn't forcing anything.

watdaeff4

Yes and no.
Before anyone answer "just put an option and you are done" I don't see how creating another way to split the community can be something positive.

In all these discussions, you have brought up some valid points that rarely get mentioned to my knowledge

Bolded contradict each other.

MS is just telling Devs if they want help, they are willing to help. It is still up to the devs, MS isn't forcing anything.
That aside, IMO he does bring up some good points with the underlying meaning of "be careful what you ask for"

Hilbert

In all these discussions, you have brought up some valid points that rarely get mentioned to my knowledge

That aside, IMO he does bring up some good points

MS cert has a requirement that cross play can be turned off.

It's something every dev can do on every platform.

We know Sony's stance.

We know MS stance.

Just going around in circles and circles, brining it back up after X amount of days.

Repeat.

I don't understand how you've arrived at the conclusion that Microsoft are the ones stirring this up. This is clearly a situation where Mike Ybarra was asked about it and he gave an answer. It's not like they issued a special press release straight to Xbox Wire or something.

Not to mention that the majority of the time this topic gets brought up it's straight from the developers saying "it's up to Sony."

watdaeff4

MS cert has a requirement that cross play can be turned off.
He does bring up that could actually further split the community ESP for those who don't want to play shooters against KB/M players

It might not winding up to be an issue, but it's a valid concern IMO

Hilbert

He does bring up that could actually further split the community ESP for those who don't want to play shooters against KB/M players

Because using that option would be no different then how things are currently. It is exactly the same.

New002

That aside, IMO he does bring up some good points with the underlying meaning of "be careful what you ask for"

I mean...the solution seems to be as simple as adding a toggle for cross-play in settings. Everyone wins. Those that don't want to participate in cross-play can opt out, and everyone else can carry on.

Worst case scenario is EVERYONE opts out and we're left with the situation we currently find ourselves in. So worst case scenario nothing changes.

Edit: I think I misunderstood what you all were getting at. I believe I see the concern now... The people who opt out would pretty much be their own separate, smaller pool, since their fellow platform users that opted in would never see "my platform only" games. Still, I'd rather these companies and devs give it a go and work together to find a solution as opposed to writing it off before it's even been given a decent chance.

Hilbert

Because using that option would be no different then how things are currently. It is exactly the same.

Edit: I see what you are saying now. That is a decent point. But again it is up to the discretion of the developers, no? And if communities suffer, then just go back, right? Is fear so crippling developers shouldn't even try?

watdaeff4

Edit: I see what you are saying now. That is a decent point. But again it is up to the discretion of the developers, no?

Thanks.

It is, but it could still "hurt" some of us that toggle it off and would have actually a smaller pool to play with

Oh and your edit about the fear crippling developers, I don't think that will come into play with their decisions Just my opinion

Fredrik

Great!

If more third party games were Play Anywhere too it would be even better. Is there a reason besides Microsoft Store sales that Play Anywhere isn't available on Steam too on Windows 10?

Hilbert

Thanks.

It is, but it could still "hurt" some of us that toggle it off and would have actually a smaller pool to play with

Oh and your edit about the fear crippling developers, I don't think that will come into play with their decisions Just my opinion

No, fear is crippling us, the poster suggested they shouldn't try because it may shrink the pool for a subset of gamers, all the while complaining about MS forcing it(which isn't true).

We should be excited about developers trying new things, even if they don't work out. And overall the developers seem excited about it.

ArtHands

Yes and no.

That's precisely why Microsoft intends to have everyone involved in discussing how they should approach this.

Kayant

This isn't really new. This is exactly what they announced when they opened XBL to other platforms all those months ago.

It has always been a "conversion" because Devs work with each platform holder(At least console wise) on a case to case basis as well as needing to meet the requirements and policies being set by them.

tsundoku

Its not new that i don't want to log in with microsoft's awful LIVE ACCOUNT system and have literally every device i own and its activity tracked by them.

watdaeff4

No, fear is crippling us, the poster suggested they shouldn't try because it may shrink the pool for a subset of gamers, all the while complaining about MS forcing it.

We should be excited about developers trying new things, even if they don't work out. And overall the developers seem excited about it.

Fair enough.

I'm not against crossplay. I was just trying to State he at least gave some of us some plausible reasons that as consumers we should think about.

Not "I like Sony" or "It's for the kids!" (Lol on that latter one)

Kayant

I believe they mean a deeper discussion. Like having multiple parties discussion between Microsoft, developers, Valve/Nintendo to improve the crossplay landscape beyond what is currently offered.
Nothing hints at that so far given this is the same thing that was said months ago.

DigSCCP

That's precisely why Microsoft intends to have everyone involved in discussing how they should approach this.

Thats good so I hope their next statements show us their plans and how will they avoid all the points I brought up instead of another "we want to do this, we are doing it for the players" without any kind of details.

Trup1aya

It might not winding up to be an issue, but it's a valid concern IMO

How does it split the community?

Even if controller users don't want to be matched against kbm players- crossplay will be increasing the the pool of controller users to play with.

Edit: Are we just assuming a matchmaking system will be binary - player chooses the opt-in pool or the opt-out pool - no interaction between pools.

Any system worth its weight would first try to create matches with players using similar control methods. Then pull in opt-in players as neccisary.

So basically the opt-in crowd would potentially have more people to play with. The PC crowd would have more people to play with. The opt-out crowd will Have the same amount of people to play with.

DigSCCP

No, fear is crippling us, the poster suggested they shouldn't try because it may shrink the pool for a subset of gamers, all the while complaining about MS forcing it(which isn't true).

I didnt say they shouldnt try.
I think that if they do have a plan for this they should bring it to the table and explain to us how they wanna do it.
Something that so far they haven't done.
Again : I dont wanna jump into the "lets do this" train, I wanna join the how you wanna do it train.

daman824

We know Sony's stance.

We know MS stance.

Repeat.
I mean... we had multiple threads over microsofts old used game policy

We had multiple threads on microsofts always online policy

We've had multiple threads on microsofts uncompromising stance on indie game release schedules

We've had multiple threads on microsofts first party problem

We've had multiple threads on nintendos third party problem

You seem to just want this issue to go away. But the more noise is made about this issue the more likely it is to change

ArtHands

Nothing hints at that so far given this is the same thing that was said months ago.

They implied so when they mention about how the demands of developers has changed, and if the devs want to talk more about crossplay with Microsoft, Microsoft is ready to meet with them and if needed, involves Valve/Nintendo too.

Thats good so I hope their next statements show us their plans and how will they avoid all the points I brought up instead of another "we want to do this, we are doing it for the players" without any kind of details.

Why will they show us the details, when such discussions involved internal company policies or other sensitive non-public issues?

Hilbert

I didnt say they shouldnt try.
I think that if they do have a plan for this they should bring it to the table and explain to us how they wanna do it.
Something that so far they haven't done.
Again : I dont wanna jump into the "lets do this" train, I wanna join the how you wanna do it train.

But developers can do it on a per game basis. Microsoft HAS explained how they are going to do it for their game, Minecraft. Rocket League also has explained how they are going to do it. And all this says is Microsoft is willing to help out a developer if they want crossplay.

And technology matures faster and better when attempted and kinks get discovered and ironed out.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Dunno how many devs are willing to do that without Sony in the mix, but those that do must have thought it through so its fine

Kayant

They implied so when they mention about how the demands of developers has changed, and if the devs want to talk more about crossplay with Microsoft, Microsoft is ready to meet with them and if needed, involves Valve/Nintendo too.
Sure it was one of the reasons that pushed them into allowing Psyonix to first do it but again them having conversations with other parties isn't new.
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/news.xbox.com/2016/03/14/letter-chris-charla-idxbox-updates-gdc/amp/

sheamus

how about a middle ground that all side can live with

have PS4 only connect to PC and Nintendo. so shareholder(children) wont get mad

have the Xbox one only connects to PC and Nintendo. then maybe Microsoft can talk less and show more

everyone uses their system login info (steam, uplay, battlenet, origin, psn, xbl, nintendo id)

Top Bottom