• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS: "gamers have spent more than 100M total hours playing Backward Compatible games"

SOR5

still more than I used that feature - but, I do realize that there are people who play/buy/own way less games than I do, and they're most likely very grateful for BC

Don't you dare try and paint an entirely pro-consumer feature as a desirable thing for some

(Tbh i seriously don't understand the mentality of detractors here)

(Oh wait, I do)

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Don't you dare try and paint an entirely pro-consumer feature as a desirable thing for some

(Tbh i seriously don't understand the mentality of detractors here)

(Oh wait, I do)

What is their mentality?

watdaeff4

Contex matters.

100 million hours over a year spread out between millions and millions of users is not really being used a ton by the vast majority.

Again, it's a concentrated event, but one game (a big game) did 40 million hours in 52x less time than the entirety of XBO BC.

And even though that was a huge game, it was still just one game, with a user base of 12 million total.

Ok read these parts of your post including the first sentence.

Now......

Yes. But "most owners" aren't the most likely to use it.

It's the owners like me, who were in the preview program, who post on forums, etc that are most likely to have put he hours into BC.

My more casual friends barely know it's possible.

How many people are in the preview program? The same numbers as "millions and millions?" The same number as your "Halo 3 12 million user base?"

You stated your casual friends don't even know it's possible......I bet they knew about Halo 3.

So I do agree with your point......context matters

Chobel

I don't think Sony has released numbers from it yet.
I wonder what they get from it - maintaining several datacenters with hardware just waiting to be activated if a player decides to stream a game sounds immensely costly.

Eh, if these servers aren't being used (idle state) then they won't consume that much energy.

watdaeff4

Fox and grapes syndrome

Some of it is that. I mean I own a PS4 and wish Sony was more proactive somehow on this front. They could be if they really wanted to.

Some are MS haters just shit posting

Some are people who are truly skeptical which is ok

c0de

Eh, if these servers aren't being used (idle state) then they won't consume that much energy.

We don't know about the details on how they put servers to sleep and the Cell parts of the hardware but the datacenter has to be designed so that every server can be used to its max which is costly. Not to mention that rackspace, network costs, port costs, air-conditioning cost and all this stuff is expensive.
No wonder PSNow is quite expensive. People also pay for the services for the datacenter that are not used.

DanielJr82

I installed and am currently playing Portal 2 BC... over Fallout 4 and Overwatch. People here are just hating on the feature.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Tell me what that means, Microsoft. Even as Microsoft shifts from hard sales numbers to "truth that Sony is kicking our asses"-obscuring "engagement" numbers, 100M total hours means nothing if Microsoft isn't willing to compare and contrast it to literally anything else within Microsoft's library of stats.

"It's a large number, so it must be good," I guess.

I'll tell you what it means, it means that backwards compatibility is available on Xbox One. That's a good feature for their product and this is a headline that's ready for journalists to tweet when they promote an article they've written about it.

Microsoft are drawing attention to a feature of their system. I think that's OK.

watdaeff4

We don't know about the details on how they put servers to sleep and the Cell parts of the hardware but the datacenter has to be designed so that every server can be used to its max which is costly. Not to mention that rackspace, network costs, port costs, air-conditioning cost and all this stuff is expensive.
No wonder PSNow is quite expensive. People also pay for the services for the datacenter that are not used.

PSNow is IMO one of the worst things this gen.

I really hope it doesn't gain traction as I'm worried about the future implications

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Ok read these parts of your post including the first sentence.

Now......

How many people are in the preview program? The same numbers as "millions and millions?" The same number as your "Halo 3 12 million user base?"

You stated your casual friends don't even know it's possible......I bet they knew about Halo 3.

So I do agree with your point......context matters

Indeed, and we don't have enough.

Simply put, a year of power users using BC, add in everyone who "gave it a spin" for an hour or 3, and you (likely)have your 100 million hours.

Just skeptical most users are using BC a ton.

That's fine, I love it, I use it, but I think I am in the minority.

TheYanger

Some of it is that. I mean I own a PS4 and wish Sony was more proactive somehow on this front. They could be if they really wanted to.

Not sure what 'skeptical' even means in this context. the number likely isn 't fake (why would it be), and BC itself isn't like some rumor or myth.

YoshiMax

Tell me what that means, Microsoft. Even as Microsoft shifts from hard sales numbers to "truth that Sony is kicking our asses"-obscuring "engagement" numbers, 100M total hours means nothing if Microsoft isn't willing to compare and contrast it to literally anything else within Microsoft's library of stats.

"It's a large number, so it must be good," I guess.
I'm sure your concern has been noted.

Chobel

How is that different than any other server data-center? I mean "We don't know about the details". Or maybe you're saying Sony can't design scalable server network for shit?

And it's expensive because all the game code is running on servers.

SOR5

I would love that as well, if I could put 3D Game Dot Heroes in my PS4 and play it for free, that'd be a nice situation

Yeah and they have the subtlety of a flying screaming brick

And those who are truly skeptical is fine, but it takes 5 seconds to differentiate a shitposter from a skeptic, I think its fine for people to come in and discuss the numbers, but the people who barge in screaming "See, its useless I swear!" absolutely makes no sense

lazerfox

Wow so much negativity in this thread.

Meanwhile I'm just super happy that I can replay Red Dead Redemption a second time, 6 years after my first playtrough.

watdaeff4

Indeed, and we don't have enough.

Simply put, a year of power users using BC, add in everyone who "gave it a spin" for an hour or 3, and you (likely)have your 100 million hours.

Just skeptical most users are using BC a ton.

That's fine, I love it, I use it, but I think I am in the minority.

Its a fine stance to take.

But also for most of 2015 there weren't that many BC games available.

The only ones of interest to me was the ones from Rare Replay and Mass Effect. That's also some thing to take into context

Meanwhile I'm just super happy that I can replay Red Dead Redemption a second time, 6 years after my first playtrough.

I never finished it, so I'm looking forward to playing it a second time AND finishing it this time. :)

TheYanger

It isn't "fake". It's debatable if it's good bad or somewhere in the middle.

To clarify:

Skeptical as in being a meaningful number (the 100M hours)

Yes what he said

Well then, freely look at my post giving some perspective relative to a major game release to get some math behind it.

I would napkinmath that 5 hours per user on average is equivilent to every user having 1 or 2 more games in their collection in terms of playtime. we already know that most people don't even come close to finishing games they buy, and a campaign in your average non-open world/rpg style game is probably around 10 hours.

It's crazy to me for anyone to downplay numbers like that. For example, that's almost surely more hours per user than any single Xbox One game has besides MAYBE Halo 5. Ditto for PS4 games.

jsnepo

This is one thing Microsoft has the advantage over Sony. I hope Sony looks at the numbers and allow backwards compatibility for PS1 and PS2 discs. The PS4 should be powerful enough to do software emulation for PS2 games.

SOR5

Most owners aren't even going to use it. They're good numbers.

I'm baffled around the negativity in here, people love to downplay positive statements don't they?

Like it doesnt have to be an MS hugbox, theyve given some numbers that'll spark different debates and thats completely okay, but when its the same people coming in with the same strawgrasping arguments putting down XB1 BC, its getting a bit too...obvious? If you know what i mean.

watdaeff4

Well then, freely look at my post giving some perspective relative to a major game release to get some math behind it.

I would napkinmath that 5 hours per user on average is equivilent to every user having 1 or 2 more games in their collection in terms of playtime. we already know that most people don't even come close to finishing games they buy, and a campaign in your average non-open world/rpg style game is probably around 10 hours.

Never said it was a bad number myself. Just saying some are skeptical........

c0de

How is that different than any other server data-center? I mean "We don't know about the details". Or maybe you're saying Sony can't design scalable server network for shit?

And it's expensive because all the game code is running on servers.

It is not different but I think only a few people know about costs of a datacenter. I also don't say Sony can't design scalable networks for huge computing demands but I think they adopted what was there in terms of knowledge from Gaikai.
The difference is that current x86 tech is easily able to scale down frequencies and in total power usage when not needed, combined with a lot of logic with SDN. AFAIK this does not apply to Cell and I don't know how much Sony uses SDN at all. I only know the benefits to have that in a dc, though.

This is one thing Microsoft has the advantage over Sony. I hope Sony looks at the numbers and allow backwards compatibility for PS1 and PS2 discs. The PS4 should be powerful enough to do software emulation for PS2 games.

It is, and it does.

Sony sells PS2 on PS4 games in their store though, so they won't let us play them for free.

Caayn

I don't think Sony has released numbers from it yet.
I wonder what they get from it - maintaining several datacenters with hardware just waiting to be activated if a player decides to stream a game sounds immensely costly.
Exactly, that's why I'm curious about PS Now numbers.
Only ones from MS
To be fair people love to downplay things that they themselves don't find worthwhile or like.
The PS4 is powerful enough to do both PS1 and PS2 with ease. But it looks like Sony is going down to road of requiring a fee instead of honouring past purchases in their ecosystem.

c0de

They already do but you have to pay for every game because they add trophies to the games.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Most owners aren't even going to use it. They're good numbers.

I'm baffled around the negativity in here, people love to downplay positive statements don't they?

I don't mean to be insulting, but the metrics put out by MS, and on amazon are just not impressive to me, and still does not buck the narrative that BC is generally not used anywhere near on a scale large enough to justify investing into it outside of goodwill to consumers and to maybe keep a few invested into the ecosystem.

I don't think anyone in their right mind would say that BC was bad as an option if given the choice. But its just not that big a deal for most.

cakefoo

Compare that with 2 billion hours of XBO use in the first year.

But also consider:
12 months vs 8 months tracked
Number of compatible games
Size of userbase at the time of each tracked period

Chobel

It is not different but I think only a few people know about costs of a datacenter. I also don't say Sony can't design scalable networks for huge computing demands but I think they adopted what was there in terms of knowledge from Gaikai.
The difference is that current x86 tech is easily able to scale down frequencies and in total power usage when not needed, combined with a lot of logic with SDN. AFAIK this does not apply to Cell and I don't know how much Sony uses SDN at all. I only know the benefits to have that in a dc, though.

So same as before, Sony can't design scalable server network for shit? I mean you can't figure out how to do it, so Sony also can't do it, right?

TheYanger

I don't mean to be insulting, but the metrics put out by MS, and on amazon are just not impressive to me, and still does not buck the narrative that BC is generally not used anywhere near on a scale large enough to justify investing into it outside of goodwill to consumers and to maybe keep a few invested into the ecosystem.

I don't think anyone in their right mind would say that BC was bad as an option if given the choice. But its just not that big a deal for most.

Did you look at my quickie math above? Because to me it's saying that BC has a higher 'attach rate' than even the best selling games out there. Maybe I'm crazy. Considering we're talking about old ass games, that's pretty damn impressive.

watdaeff4

I'll admit, I broke down and re-bought all the PS2 GTA games.

They were on sale, I couldn't resist.

I almost did but refuse.

I won't unless they do something more reasonable-likeI do find what Nintendo is doing with WiiU VC reasonable if you owned it on the Wii VC.

And I won't use PSNow.

though if they ever put Demon's Souls on there I would probably break

c0de

So same as before, Sony can't design scalable server network for shit? I mean you can't figure out how to do it, so Sony also can't do it, right?

I can't figure out how to do what? Actually, I know how to design dc's, from power to network to racks to servers. That's why I'm curious. I don't say Sony can't do it but Cell is not x86 for people who don't know that which seems to include you. I am gladly proven otherwise and I am glad if someone shows me different power states of what the Cell can do in the Gaikai dc's and how their network is.
I only know that there are many, many pitfalls people usually run in when building this sort of infrastructure.
But this is off-topic - if you want to discuss it further, drop me a pm.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
So if PS5 is not bc with PS4 and PS4neo, nobody will care about it? Doubtful.

I don't think that's a good comparison, considering the fact that the iterative consoles are on the horizon. They are clearly a shift to keeping each ecosystem together, so carrying your games over to PS5 and whatever is after Scorpio would make sense by default.

However, at this current point in time, consumers are used to starting over with no general BC, and so a limited version of BC like what MS is offering on a case by case basis is going to have a very limited impact, to the point where most people aren't going to care.

Sony got away with no general BC because of that very reason, its just not a make or break feature at this point in time.

c0de

The question isn't if anybody will care, but if "most" will care

Of course! If Sony doesn't see any profit in that, fine. They made a lot of remasters of last gen titles for PS4 and it seems they sold well so Sony could of course say "why let people play the games they already have instead of having them pay again?".

Top Bottom