• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF, welcome to .webm - the FUTURE (of burning out your CPU)

Quesa

They only work in Safari when you have the VLC App from the Appstore installed as far as I know :/

So I got it to work but it's a pain in the ass. If I see a link to one on gaf I need to copy the link, paste it into safari, have it open in VLC, then go to VLC to click on the video.

KKRT00

Count me as another person that has problem with VC9 based webm videos on FF.
It shows as corrupted for me, but it works perfectly on Chrome.

psylah

Yeah, pomf.se has been shitting itself because of the sudden influx.

Reliable hosting needs to pop up ASAP if this is to take off. Just as picture hosting sites like imgur, minus or abload rose to prominence, something like that will be needed for these video files.

OR you could donate to the guy, who has a generous upload limit and pretty lax restrictions.

His paypal has been limited but he has two other ways to donate on the front page.

So I got it to work but it's a pain in the ass. If I see a link to one on gaf I need to copy the link, paste it into safari, have it open in VLC, then go to VLC to click on the video.

Yeah I know, but it's still better than no support at all I guess :(

lol having less than 16GB RAM in 2014

Hey I only have 8GB because 2 of my mainboards RAM slots are borked and I was too lazy to RMA it since at the point I noticed I already sold my old board :p

Count me as another person that has problem with VC9 based webm videos on FF.
It shows as corrupted for me, but it works perfectly on Chrome.

Which FF version are you using? VC9 support was introduced in FF28.

gngf123

Yeah I'd be interested in building a host if I had any time. Money wouldn't be too much of a problem. I might try messing about with it in a few weeks after I'm done with work, although no guarantees I'll take anything live. I have no doubts that a lot of you guys are much more skilled than me though.

The guy who runs pomf is going to get a shock when he sees the traffic he has been getting.

plank

7r7d9IQ.png

This is what I see when they don't work which is quite a few of them.

if any body is seeing this make sure your spyware protector is allowing the upload site.

BraXzy

Page 18 (I have 100 post pages) won't even load for me with the WebM extension enabled. Then again, I'm at Uni so it isn't the best PC.

Chettlar

Banned
Google Chrome is working just fine (meaning seeing the embedded like gifs), but Incognito isn't. Anything I need to change?

Adry9

CPU between 30% and 40% for me. Guess I'll leave it on, this is amazing.

EDIT: Holy crap, no it doesn't, going up to 90%. Turning auto-play off hahaha

gngf123

Google Chrome is working just fine (meaning seeing the embedded like gifs), but Incognito isn't. Anything I need to change?

Doesn't Chrome have an option to allow/disable extensions when in incognito? That might be doing it.

http://a.pomf.se/rvnchs.webm

Test 3...

Using uncompressed 1080p/60fps source.

Seems like bitrate needs some tweaking....

Yeah, there is a lot of very visible blockiness in the background.

This is roughly the ffmpeg command that I'm using. Could be improved, but it might help some as a starting point:

Code:
ffmpeg -i input.mkv -ss 00:00:10.000 -to 00:00:20.000 -c:v libvpx-vp9 -crf 4 -b:v 5000K -vf scale=720:-1 -an output.webm

Dennis

Banned
This may be a silly question but in IE I can just right click on an image or gif and then go to 'properties' to find the file size and dimensions.

How do I do this in Chrome?

Been using chrome with autoplay disabled and max width 720p without any issues here.

So, downloaded a FF X Remaster video off gamersyde so I could do some tests with the latest script by Skyfireblaze (great work man, keep it up).

First off I tried 720p with 2Mb bitrate limit (no audio) and the end result wasn't satisfactory, kinda choppy.

Then I set it to 720p with 3Mb bitrate limit (also no audio) using VP8. This is the result at 3.74MB

http://a.pomf.se/cbygvl.webm

Looked good, but maybe if I lower the quality a bit and keep the bitrate it might get smaller.

Then I tried VP9 with the same settings. This is the result at 5.28MB

http://a.pomf.se/ewmlzh.webm

Looks great, although the size difference bugged me so I went on to check the media properties and it seems the bitrate for this one was average 3.6Mb, no idea why it did not comply with the limit I had set. But this explains why it is bigger (and looks better).

Will keep fiddling with it, been fun.

LoveCake

mostly mpeg/mp4 I guess. You can also always try to disable all other plugins and addons or see if it works in Chrome with the Chrome Extension.

It works fine on my chrome at home & i have just installed the latest firefox one on my home laptop & it works fine, it's just my laptop at work, i have not yet been able to install the latest version of your app only 5.0.

i think the main issue at the moment is somewhere to host the files.

What is the files size and resolution of that webm?

It hitches for me as some webms do when embedded in NeoGAF and I think it may be due to either their file size or their resolution.

doesnt for me.

Its pretty high i guess. around 21-23mb and res should be 1280.
Those are my first test using 10mb bitrate.

Another test out of Resonance of Fate trailer, downloaded off Gamersyde, since I used a shorter clip figured I'd test out higher bitrate

720p using VP9 (no audio) for both

4.6Mb bitrate - 2.38MB size

http://a.pomf.se/yakbsf.webm

10Mb bitrate - 5.22MB size

http://a.pomf.se/axbyti.webm

Well, as if it wasn't obvious for me before, higher bitrate = higher quality = smoother video

So to balance the size, it's either a short clip with high bitrate or longer clip with lower bitrate, unless Skyfireblaze comes up some new magical script :p

The guy who contributes to the pomf github sure seems like a reasonable fellow.

While that really was a dick move to make fun of people with mental disabilities, this kind of stuff is in a lot of old source code, and source code written for non-professional programs.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Even then, I've seen plenty of 20MB+ gifs of decent length and quality. This is a much smaller file size than a gif of the same content almost always.

20+Mb gifs weren't really that common at all.

And at least in my case, I've always hosted large GIFs on Sta.sh or Flickr and usually see large GIFs hosted on Sta.sh, flickr, or Minus.

Top Bottom