• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF, welcome to .webm - the FUTURE (of burning out your CPU)

Aces&Eights

These all run beautifully on my Nexus 5, good stuff.

Same here on my Note 3. I'm truly in love with dem webms.

Edit: so I'm far from a tech guy so forgive me if my question is dumb....Is this the type of stuff that could be used in say, Morpheus? Not a full game per say but maybe for movie previews and such? My mind melts at the thought of putting on a VR headset and watching a Lord of the Rings trailer using this format.

Aces&Eights

hmm which browser are you using on Note3?

I'm using the stock browser and stock player believe it or not. Havnt tried it with Dolphin or Firefox.

Disclaimer: the ones on this page load but don't play for some reason but the ones from the first few pages work fine. I watched the AC one, Mario Kart and others. I'm also in a big building with low signal right now. Maybe that's why. Dunno. I for sure watched the others though from this very spot yesterday on my Note.

edit. Wtf. Now the ones on this page load with sound and no video. Can someone breakdown what is happening? The ones from 4 chan played flawlessly now this pomf. Ones are giving my phone issues. Maybe the server is getting slammed? Does it work like that? Christ, I hate being uninformed.

-KRS-

One negative I keep noticing is that the Last Unread Post feature gets a bit screwed up. It loads the thread, goes to the last unread post, then the wifs start loading and push the post down like one third of a page and you have to scroll. No biggie of course but a bit annoying.

gngf123

One negative I keep noticing is that the Last Unread Post feature gets a bit screwed up. It loads the thread, goes to the last unread post, then the wifs start loading and push the post down like one third of a page and you have to scroll. No biggie of course but a bit annoying.

That might be because the extension isn't setting a height for the video. If the height isn't defined, it doesn't know how much to reserve, which moves the page around. See if you can set a maximum height in the options.

If that doesn't work, I'll upload my slightly modified script and you can see if mine works. Seems to be fine here.

Black boxes everywhere, what is happening with the hosts?

This mostly seems to happen when there are duplicate WebM's on the same page.

Chettlar

Banned
K, with the extension enabled, I'm getting on average about 60-80% usage (over a more normal 10-20%). I'll leave it on for now, but I may take it off later.

FX-8320 Eight-Core cpu.

can you quote a few that aren't working for you?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=107439419&postcount=1859

Right above my first post

yzu0j6A.png

-KRS-

That might because the extension isn't setting a height for the video. If the height isn't defined, it doesn't know how much to reserve, which moves the page around. See if you can set a maximum height in the options.

If that doesn't work, I'll upload my slightly modified script and you can see if mine works. Seems to be fine here.

There's only a setting for width in the Firefox extension. It's alright though. I'll manage until ekim decides to implement a height setting. :)

gngf123

What is that?

Depends what extension you are using, but most here are using an extension that turns off videos autoplaying. Instead, they will play when you mouse over them.

I prefer just having controls showing, but having them all autoplay is a nightmare for your CPU.

Dennis

Banned
unfortunately its not as easy & quick as in IE.

1) right click - open in new tab.
2) Then inspect elements.
3) click network.
4) refresh.

Yeah, this works. But first open the item in question in a separate tab or else I get flooded with all the data on everything on the page.

Thanks. A lot of fussier than doing it in IE.

That looks awful. My original gif had better image quality.

iblOlSxaoyjzSV.gif

Man... I wish my eyes were as bad as yours so I didn't have to buy good monitors/graphic hardware. The framerate of your gif is about 1/3rd that of the video and is dithered as all get out.

I tried to make a .webm again. This time I tried to get a full 60fps, but ended up getting crappy quality. Last time I got great quality, but not 60fps. I guess I can either have one or the other. I'll go with better picture.

MarkV

You need to up the bitrate considerably and/or scale down the resolution.

Watching giant, blocky, low res-looking, webms is no fun.

Come on it's not that blocky :D
I'm using a freeware with limited options. Anyways i changed it with a 720p version with the same bitrate.

I guess I'm done for today, last two

http://a.pomf.se/mtercu.webm
Valkyria Chronicles - 720p (no audio) - 4.6Mb bitrate - 3.36MB

http://a.pomf.se/fwgpki.webm
Final Fantasy X HD Remaster - 720p (no audio) - 5.6Mb bitrate - 16.1MB

FF X one is the biggest I've done so far, ended up above 5Mb bitrate even though I set up 5 as the limit. Wasn't going to upload it but had to leave the pc so couldn't do a smaller one with a bit less bitrate, but it looks great anyway, check it out

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
That looks awful. My original gif had better image quality.

iblOlSxaoyjzSV.gif

You should use the "automatically resize videos" option.

I set the width to 640 by default.

Looking at it like that, his video looks a lot better than your GIF.

gngf123

Doesn't seem like perfect audio loops are possible--though this one wouldn't have worked anyway. Edit: replaced it with a better loop

Yeah, sounds like there is a small pause that would stop any attempts at looping music. Let me try with what should be a perfect loop:

http://a.pomf.se/exmnju.webm

Am I the only one who dislikes the fact that people put the sound in these things?

Only if you have it set to autoplay/unmute.

I don't think that's 60fps (check other Sonic Unleashed (it's Unleashed, right?)) videos that have been posted before. Are you running it at 60fps? Are you recording it at 60fps (fraps options)?

I think it was in Handbrake that I made the mistake the first time. I set the fps to 30fps, instead of 60fps. I did another one, but set the fps to 60. The quality is terrible though (this is Sonic Generations btw).

http://a.pomf.se/vguvea.webm

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I think it was in Handbrake that I made the mistake the first time. I set the fps to 30fps, instead of 60fps. I did another one, but set the fps to 60. The quality is terrible though (this is Sonic Generations btw).

http://a.pomf.se/vguvea.webm

That's definitely not 60fps.

Looks sorta whack dude.

These are the settings I use with ffmpeg

Code:
ffmpeg -r 60 -i in.avi -c:v libvpx -r 60 -crf 4 -b:v 15M -c:a libvorbis yourvideo.webm

the -r is the input and output framerate. I set it to 60, for 60fps. Adjust accordingly.

Top Bottom