• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Age Inquisition trailer+Bioware discusses art/world of the game [EGX]

This doesn't really fit the rest of the game:

176DngF.jpg

Feels kind of out of place in comparison to the style of the rest of the game.
What's wrong with it? That's Orlais, basically the rich, high class Paris of the Dragon Age world.

UrbanRats

The art? Seriously?

DA:I is the perfect example for a game with good graphics but horrible art. Which makes the game look horrible, because of it.

Can't buy the game because of that very reason.
Awful!

Pertaining armors and weapons, i agree with this.
The environments look cool however, the monsters, too.

That inquisitor helm the main character has, though... lol.

Yea the concept art is nice, but for some reason in game they cannot properly visualize it i guess.

To be fair that is the case in most games.

That's...probably the first time I've seen a game described in that way...

Huh? : /

Bioware games (lately) are somewhat corny in the story department.

Trigger

This doesn't really fit the rest of the game:

Feels kind of out of place in comparison to the style of the rest of the game.

Well, Orlais was always described as being very fancy and grand. It may seem out of place, but fits the concept pretty well I think.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Huh? : /

Bioware games (lately) are somewhat corny in the story department.

They enjoy a bit of cheese here and there for sure, but the overall writing and story is normally pretty serious, if sometimes mishandled. Sometimes the goofy stuff is a bit too much, but not often. I think DAI is going to be a return to form in the story department, they seem much more focused and sure of what they want in the game and it all seems to be coming together very well.

In what way? In terms of story, we haven't played through the game yet to be able to come to that conclusion so he must be referring to something else...

Well he is obviously a bit too fast to comment on it. But a game can be corny due to it's story/writing.

I don't think it's that rare to say such a thing.

DA2 had corny/silly characters though maybe he is basing it on past experiences.

They enjoy a bit of cheese here and there for sure, but the overall writing and story is normally pretty serious, if sometimes mishandled. Sometimes the goofy stuff is a bit too much, but not often. I think DAI is going to be a return to form in the story department, they seem much more focused and sure of what they want in the game and it all seems to be coming together very well.

IMO they are aiming for fun and serious but they are not THAT talented to keep it mature enough. (in past games that is)

Ralemont

not me
IMO they are aiming for fun and serious but they are not THAT talented to keep it mature enough. (in past games that is)

I suppose that depends what you're looking at. They can certainly craft characters with the best of them, and that's mainly what I find compelling in fiction.

Murtrod

But will it play well?

My biggest concern is gameplay, and videos have done nothing to convince. Not because I dislike what I see, but because a Dragon Age game can only be judged by personal experience imo. Won't know if it's any good until I play it.

But that's just me. Still looks visually stunning (although a bit inconsistent) :D

ColdRose

My God I love those tarot cards. Personally I think the art direction is gorgeous - really helping give Dragon Age a visual identity - something it was sorely lacking in DAO imo (brown and bland). The art (some of the loading screens in particular) in DA2 was one of the positives in that game for me (along with some of the characters and bits of the story), and DAI is looking to be trying to distinguish itself further.

I really like how this game is shaping up, looking forward to November 18th.

Dysun

Looks fantastic. Thought it was new until they recruited that guy at the end, but then it felt familiar

Maybe it's just me, but i haven't heard much about thus game. Especially shocking since it's only 12 days away.

Regardless, i am looking forward to a next gen rpg.

Staf

It looks great, combat looks better than ever (i played DA:O and DA2 on console and the tactical aspect was fairly limited DA:O and non-existent in DA2). But man, that awful conversation system that does not tell you what your character is going to say (and hence leads to loads of reloading, for me at least) is enough to put me off a purchase.

One change I really love is that many of the demons look like Silent Hill type monsters and not just repetetive amorphous blobs or hot chicks that just come off as cute or funny

Wish they'd get away from the strict class setups. Why do I have to dual wield daggers if I want to be a non-archer rogue? How about a mage with sword + staff like Gandalf?

Looks nice though.

Blinck

Game looks very nice, but unfortunately I feel like it completely lost the Dark Fantasy feeling from the first game.

Asbear

Banned
H5kwZCT.jpg

This reminds me of Vergen in The Witcher 2, except it looks more dull and empty.

In general from what I've seen there's just something about the art direction or at least the way it translates to the in-engine graphics, delivered by the Frostbite 3 engine, that doesn't impress me at all. It looks so murky somehow. I'm seeing pretty effects and some pretty area designs, but somehow Bioware has made them look ugly on the surface - in the same way Nintendo made Wind Waker HD's atmosphere look really toxic by slapping in too much bloom without much consideration.

Like someone else just said on the top of this page, it's as if this game is pretty corny. That really is the right word for it. There's just something about it that makes me iffy instead of impressing me, kind of like when you hear someone sing and even though they can hit the high notes and all that they make you cringe because there's something about the way they do it that make them seem corny. I just think it's because DA:I looks a tad uninspired maybe. It's as if the graphics are much more dark and mature looking than the overall tone of the story from what they've shown.

Kirie

Mike Laidlaw said this on twitter awhile ago when that trailer first came out:

"1) That is Hawke.
2) That is -not- "The" warden. (As in, yours from DAO)"

So I'm guessing if our Warden died in DA:O, the game will use the warden from DA: Awakening?

Edit: Just read the above two posts. Ok, so this is some other dude. Figures since it would have been a logistical nightmare for them to use DA:O warden. Can't be DA: Awakening one either since we also had choice to use DA:O warden.... so a new warden character confirmed?

Darklord

Banned
God, they really love that theme song and showing the environments off. I feel like that's at least the 3rd or 4th trailer of the same thing.

Top Bottom