• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Age Inquisition trailer+Bioware discusses art/world of the game [EGX]

Even though I have seen it in person I can only say I WANT TO BELIEVE with this game but seeing it for 15 min does not make a 40 hour RPG.

It looks like the real deal

Asbear

Banned
This is how I feel about all Bioware games. The concept art is very nice but I know that the animation is going to suffer from awkward Americanized whimsy and mere suggestion of soul. I don't want to feel like I'm playing something from the Shrek universe.

Of course is the gameplay looks good I'll still buy it since that's most important.

I think if anyone americanizes animations it would be Bungie. I mean of course there aren't face capture for facial animations because that would be impossible in such a huge game full of dialogues. It's kind of like a 40+ hour movie with the usual budget of a 2½ hour movie.

I think what always turns me off in Bioware games are the god-awfully acted motion capture performances. They're so caricatured and disjointed to what's happening in the game. Bioware desperately needs some new motion capture directors.

Simzyy

I'm 99% sure Bioware has said the Warden can show up in the game, let me see if I can find it.

I swear I saw in the DA Keep leak a character creator for the Warden (the same creator from Origins it looked like) so I took that as confirmation he/she would at least appear at some point in Inquisition.

Yeul

I think what always turns me off in Bioware games are the god-awfully acted motion capture performances. They're so caricatured and disjointed to what's happening in the game. Bioware desperately needs some new motion capture directors.

rjnbr6O.gif

haha~ sorry, first thing I thought of when you said caricatured and disjointed.

Anyways, I'm really looking forward to this game, I think it looks good! Every time I look for news about it I just run into headcanons people come up with that really just throw me off and make me feel weirded out.

Grisby

I think they said that if (and they added a giant if) they showed up they'd let you customize how they looked. It felt like a wink, wink deal to me.

Considering Hawke appears I wouldn't be surprised to see the Warden. At the end of DA2 Cassandra talks about how both the warden and champion disappearing can't be a coincident.

Jesus christ listening to that was horrible through my headphones. Could hear his mouth sloshing about every 2 seconds. Tis looking great though! Will wait for reviews of course but damn it look beautiful

murgo

Mother of god. I actually got goosebumps during the "intro" sequence. The music, the awesome environments.. fuck. I need this shit ASAP. I need an RPG to take over my life.

majik13

too many damn games!

lighting looks particularly good, looks like there is some sub surface scatter and probabaly GI.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Looks sweet, I kinda forget how much I like Dragon Age. I played Origin a ridiculous amount of times, but evidently the memory of DA2 keeps getting in the way and makes me the hours spend on the first game. Looking forward to this one, even if yet again EA can't put out a supposed story heavy game at the same time across two continents, made for awful spoilers with ME3 when the US had it days ahead.

I swear I saw in the DA Keep leak a character creator for the Warden (the same creator from Origins it looked like) so I took that as confirmation he/she would at least appear at some point in Inquisition.

Do we know when The Keep is going to come out yet? I assume before release obviously, but I was hoping it would be a good amount of time beforehand so that we could play with it for a good amount of time before Inquisition arrives.

I haven't even really been paying attention to this game despite it being my most anticipated game right now. Checked out some videos and stuff today. Oh man, I feel some sick days approaching in November.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Do we know when The Keep is going to come out yet? I assume before release obviously, but I was hoping it would be a good amount of time beforehand so that we could play with it for a good amount of time before Inquisition arrives.

Soon I would expect at least a month before release. They already gave those of us with Keep access 5 keys to give away to friend or whoever so they're opening it up more and more. I think they're just in their final stretch of making sure there aren't any bugs. You really won't spend more than a couple hours on it at most. If you know what your world state will be it won't take you more than 30 minutes or so to map out both DAO and DA2's choices.

Verger

Banned
I only played about 20 hours of DAO before I got bored of it. The story and characters just weren't too compelling for me.

Naturally I avoided DA2 after seeing/hearing about its issues.

This sort of looks promising, although I too am wary of Bioware's writing capabilties in addition to how bad their characters always animate (is this game using the Unreal engine?). But I'll keep a watch for people's impressions once it launches.

I wonder how much of the story one will be able to understand without playing 1 or 2?

vareon

I only played about 20 hours of DAO before I got bored of it. The story and characters just weren't too compelling for me.

This sort of looks promising, although I too am wary of Bioware's writing capabilties in addition to how bad their characters always animate (is this game using the Unreal engine?). But I'll keep a watch for people's impressions once it launches.

I wonder how much of the story one will be able to understand without playing 1 or 2?

Nope, this uses Frostbite. Bioware seems to really take newcomers in mind, as from what we know that The Keep can be really useful.

wolfhowwl

Banned

They're using Frostbite 3.

As far as the story, probably all of it.

YaLiShanDa

Neo Member
Looks great!

BTW, does anyone have any experience getting games on Origins while living in China?
All my attempts at pre-ordering the game have failed during the payment phase.

I've watched a couple of youtube videos and tried with and without VPN, with paypal and CC, but to no avail. I'm thinking the problem is related to the country selection during payment. For some weird reason China does not appear in the country list, which is absurd when they list countries such as North Korea and Cuba...

Any tips would be appreciated!

Shaanyboi

Banned
The art? Seriously?

DA:I is the perfect example for a game with good graphics but horrible art. Which makes the game look horrible, because of it.

Can't buy the game because of that very reason.
Awful!

dude, what? The game looks fantastic. The way they use colour looks really nice

Well that explains a lot then. I was looking forward to it since Destiny is becoming a bore. But i guess i got to wait a bit longer or pick up Drive Club to hold me over.
I know what you mean, Im getting shadow of mordor but that won't last till November so I'm looking at 2k15 and driveclub as well. My October has been decimated cause of the delays.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Very interested to see how Tevinter ends up. It's the most interesting/unexplored area lore-wise.

Unfortunately DAI won't be going there, it's all focused in Orlais and western Ferelden. But we do know Tevinter factions and people will be a part of things for sure.

Jon Armdog

For a brief moment, I was excited that this comes out in less than a month. Then, I remembered it comes out in November not October...and I was crushed. Ugggh... too long...the wait is killing me.

Teeth

Unfortunately DAI won't be going there, it's all focused in Orlais and western Ferelden. But we do know Tevinter factions and people will be a part of things for sure.

Oooh, i don't know about that. I wouldn't bet my account on it, but I swear I saw somewhere there were level designs for a Tevinter castle. I wouldn't doubt that there will be a Tevinter section.
EDIT: Turns out I'm super wrong.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
For a brief moment, I was excited that this comes out in less than a month. Then, I remembered it comes out in November not October...and I was crushed. Ugggh... too long...the wait is killing me.

I wish it was out sooner too, but if the extra month means fewer bugs and some quests and content not getting cut because it couldn't be fixed I'm all for it. That said I'm actually worried about how this will effect Pillars of Eternity. Obsidian has said they're working their release around DAI and Nov 18 doesn't give them a lot of room left in 2014, which they've been adamant about sticking to and not doing some post Dec 25th style release either. So that really means it gonna release in that Dec 9-23 range which still isn't very far after DAI. Delaying doesn't do much for them either since The Witcher 3 will be out in Feb, but maybe a mid Jan release would be best for them.

They already have my sale since I Kickstarted PoE, but I know I'm going got start playing it until I've exhausted DAI first and I bet a fair few other people will do the same, especially those who haven't backed it yet and will have to buy at launch.

hemtae

I wish it was out sooner too, but if the extra month means fewer bugs and some quests and content not getting cut because it couldn't be fixed I'm all for it. That said I'm actually worried about how this will effect Pillars of Eternity. Obsidian has said they're working their release around DAI and Nov 18 doesn't give them a lot of room left in 2014, which they've been adamant about sticking to and not doing some post Dec 25th style release either. So that really means it gonna release in that Dec 9-23 range which still isn't very far after DAI. Delaying doesn't do much for them either since The Witcher 3 will be out in Feb, but maybe a mid Jan release would be best for them.

They already have my sale since I Kickstarted PoE, but I know I'm going got start playing it until I've exhausted DAI first and I bet a fair few other people will do the same, especially those who haven't backed it yet and will have to buy at launch.

They have? The only comment I've heard them make on Dragon Age was that it was two different audiences.

kotaku said:
They're still targeting late 2014 for release. I asked Brennecke if he was concerned about launching close to Dragon Age: Inquisition, the big-budget BioWare RPG that's out in October. He said he wasn't worried—different audiences. Though the first Dragon Age felt in some ways like a new Baldur's Gate, BioWare's games have evolved in a totally different direction. Pillars is going back to those BG-style roots.

http://kotaku.com/pillars-of-eternity-looks-like-the-next-great-computer-1592836049

I know what you mean, Im getting shadow of mordor but that won't last till November so I'm looking at 2k15 and driveclub as well. My October has been decimated cause of the delays.

All these games getting pushed into 2015 has made this second half of the year feel a light. Not to mention the lack of games after the initial next gen launches game. But i guess it is expected with any new console launch.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
They have? The only comment I've heard them make on Dragon Age was that it was two different audiences.

http://kotaku.com/pillars-of-eternity-looks-like-the-next-great-computer-1592836049

Feargus Urquhart flat out said so in a interview a couple weeks ago he did with a YouTuber, Matt Chat. I agree the main base is different, or at least committed to get both, but there is definitely a little overlap outside that. There are going to be people who will pass or hold of on Pillars because of DAI. I'm sure it will stl do well, but I just want it to do the best it can and these aren't exactly the conditions for that.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Apparently Minimum PC specs will be released by Monday. I hope my aging rig can stand up to the challenge well. It does OK with BF4 but I have a feeling my 6gb of RAM will be more of a problem then my i7 920 or my 7970. I guess I could just get some more RAM now and just carry it over when I build a new rig sometime next year since it's fairly cheap compared to everything else.

Top Bottom