• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Pokémon Revealed- Salandit

Neiteio

Ya know what? Since he is a fire type, I guess this means whenever he needs to heat up, he can just do it himself instead of going out into the sun to warm up and regulate his temperature??? In the winter, he will be fine as well.

Unlike real cold blooded lizards.
I love thinking about how the Pokemon world works.

It probably never gets cold where he lives, though. He dwells in a tropical climate that's temperate year-round. And in that region, he appears to inhabit the sulfur fields of a volcano. Lots of fire and noxious gas — perfect for a Poison/Fire-type. :)

Vex_

Banned
I love thinking about how the Pokemon world works.

It probably never gets cold where he lives, though. He dwells in a tropical climate that's temperate year-round. And in that region, he appears to inhabit the sulfur fields of a volcano. Lots of fire and noxious gas — perfect for a Poison/Fire-type. :)

Oh wow. Yea true. Never thought of that! I'm sure he will be fine.

Zaventem

I wanted to post this but i couldn't remember what it was until it finally came to mind. I'm not the only one that saw the elastic hand thing on the back right?

10pcs-Mini-Funny-font-b-Sticky-b-font-font-b-Hands-b-font-Palm-Stretch-Jelly.jpg

Sesha

The legendary salamander was actually a salamander. The earliest description is by Pliny the Elder, and was based on the golden alpine salamander or fire salamander, and most references seem to be based on or followed along the same lines.
But the legendary salamander is not "actually" a lizard. A salamander was a salamander. The difference between salamanders and lizards wasn't understood until more modern times. Taxonomy wasn't a thing.

It's clear the Pokemon is based on the legendary salamander, and possibly salamanders in general because of the association with poison. Salandit probably looks like a lizard because of artistic license. The designer depicted it as a lizard. Perhaps he/she thought the legendary salamander was considered a lizard, or maybe he/she just wanted to make it a lizard.

The legendary salamander was actually a salamander. The earliest description is by Pliny the Elder, and was based on the golden alpine salamander or fire salamander, and most references seem to be based on or followed along the same lines.
But the legendary salamander is not "actually" a lizard. A salamander was a salamander. The difference between salamanders and lizards wasn't understood until more modern times. Taxonomy wasn't a thing.

It's clear the Pokemon is based on the legendary salamander, and possibly salamanders in general because of the association with poison. Salandit probably looks like a lizard because of artistic license. The designer depicted it as a lizard. Perhaps he/she thought the legendary salamander was considered a lizard, or maybe he/she just wanted to make it a lizard.
Dude, it's literally the Toxic Lizard Pokemon. It looks like a lizard, is named after a mythical lizard, and is called a lizard. This isn't hard.

If we're talking about artistic license causing people to make bad decisions, it's more likely whoever came up with the English name wasn't considering that it's a lizard and not a salamander, like a Sandshrew situation.

Vena

Honestly surprised they haven't made hail give ice types 50% more defense since Rock types gets 50% more special defense from sand storm.

Ehh I think that might be a bit too much to give to one of the stronger offensive typings in the game. Just give Glaceon Refrigerate (or Thick Fat... which it clearly does not have) or something.

Delio

It actually looks like it's going to be found beside that huge active volcano you can see on the map. Sun/Moon seems to have XY's variation, so not a lot of Pokemon are going to be commonly found everywhere.

Yeah that backdrop in the battle screen makes it pretty clear they are in the volcanic Area. Which is cool and makes sense for it.

Cool Pokemon and sweet ability, definitely gonna be the Helioptile of my team this gen and hopefully it has okay stats and some nice evos. So far I'm loving the variety of Pokemon and new combo typing's in this gen, I hope to see more new types and also the evo's of the starters soon since I still don't know who to choose.

Ehh I think that might be a bit too much to give to one of the stronger offensive typings in the game. Just give Glaceon Refrigerate (or Thick Fat... which it clearly does not have) or something.
One of the best offensive types but also one of the worst defensive types. There's a reason ice moves are used a lot but actual ice Pokémon barely are.

.JayZii

Banned
Dude, it's literally the Toxic Lizard Pokemon. It looks like a lizard, is named after a mythical lizard, and is called a lizard. This isn't hard.

If we're talking about artistic license causing people to make bad decisions, it's more likely whoever came up with the English name wasn't considering that it's a lizard and not a salamander, like a Sandshrew situation.
No, I think you're just being weirdly literal about an imaginary creature that has multiple points of inspiration.

Charmander doesn't look like a salamander.

Charmeleon doesn't look like a chameleon.

Charizard doesn't look like a lizard.

But it's okay, because the names are evocative, and the references make sense.

No, I think you're just being weirdly literal about an imaginary creature that has multiple points of inspiration.

Charmander doesn't look like a salamander.

Charmeleon doesn't look like a chameleon.

Charizard doesn't look like a lizard.

But it's okay, because the names are evocative, and the references make sense.
Charmander, Charmeleon, and Charizard are all fire breathing lizards. Would you argue that Sandshrew is primarily based on a shrew? Come on dude.

.JayZii

Banned
Charmander, Charmeleon, and Charizard are all fire breathing lizards. Would you argue that Sandshrew is primarily based on a shrew? Come on dude.
Yeah, but chameleons don't breath fire and neither do lizards, so why would they be named that? That is what your argument is for Salandit's name being "wrong". See how dumb that sounds?

Probably not. You've clearly dug in your heels on this one, so I think I'm done here.

Yeah, but chameleons don't breath fire and neither do lizards, so why would they be named that? That is what your argument is for Salandit's name being "wrong". See how dumb that sounds?

Probably not. You've clearly dug in your heels on this one, so I think I'm done here.
Charmander looks like a fire-breathing lizard and is called the lizard Pokemon. I think it's fair to say it's based on a lizard. Salandit looks like a lizard wearing a mask and is called the Toxic Lizard Pokemon.

Its name is wrong if it refers to the animal salamander because it isn't based on a salamander. Just like how Sandshrews name is wrong because it's based on a pangolin, and how Squidward's name is wrong because he's an octopus. I don't know what else to tell you, I think it's pretty obvious. Maybe you'd prefer if I used the words "misleading" or "inaccurate" instead of "wrong", but in that case you're getting hung up on unnecessary details.

Charmander looks like a fire-breathing lizard and is called the lizard Pokemon. I think it's fair to say it's based on a lizard. Salandit looks like a lizard wearing a mask and is called the Toxic Lizard Pokemon.

Its name is wrong if it refers to the animal salamander because it isn't based on a salamander. Just like how Sandshrews name is wrong because it's based on a pangolin, and how Squidward's name is wrong because he's an octopus. I don't know what else to tell you, I think it's pretty obvious. Maybe you'd prefer if I used the words "misleading" or "inaccurate" instead of "wrong", but in that case you're getting hung up on unnecessary details.

who cares, lots of things are named "wrong" in the real world too.
lots of *berries aren't actually berries, lots of *nuts aren't actually nuts, hell lots of animals are named wrong or are commonly known with wrong names like panda bears.
i actually like it that way.

ffdgh

Not much of an issue considering water types are actually the main users of ice type attacks majority of the time lol.

Mafro

I wanted to post this but i couldn't remember what it was until it finally came to mind. I'm not the only one that saw the elastic hand thing on the back right?

10pcs-Mini-Funny-font-b-Sticky-b-font-font-b-Hands-b-font-Palm-Stretch-Jelly.jpg
Oh wow I loved these when I was younger. Completely forgot they existed.

L Thammy

Trying to make sense of Pokemon is like trying to follow the Zelda timeline. It's all good fun, but if you ever start taking it seriously, you're probably an immensely silly person.

Not much of an issue considering water types are actually the main users of ice type attacks majority of the time lol.

Now this is a type who needs a buff. Ice Pokemon have been complaining about Water Pokemon stealing their jobs since forever.

Trying to make sense of Pokemon is like trying to follow the Zelda timeline. It's all good fun, but if you ever start taking it seriously, you're probably an immensely silly person.

Now this is a type who needs a buff. Ice Pokemon have been complaining about Water Pokemon stealing their jobs since forever.

I'm so mad that GF decided to change Steel's resistances just to accommodate introducing Aegislash but they did nothing about Ice being such a huge liability that it isn't worth getting STAB for its moves.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I hope the smug face is permanent.

Love the ability & design.

Gen VII have been knocking it out of the park in that regard.

Now, lets just hope they don't shit the bed when it comes to evolution.

Delphox & Chesnaught, to name two recent examples, are prime examples of this.

You mean Delphox only. Chesnaught is fine. :D

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
stop arguing about gen 1 era names, they haven't properly thought of names back then hence why you get shit like Beedrill who is a wasp, Kangaskhan who isn't related to any Mongol warlord, calling mons meant to be "mysterious" and more closely related to toads as -saur, and Mr. Mimes that had female versions (which while they never had genders yet in Gen 1, already had the idea of implementing it).

Other way around. Delphox is awesome.

no u

Neiteio

Salandit looks like a Pokémon you'd find chilling on the kitchen counter when you get home from the office.

"HEY! I told you to stay off the counter!"

*Salandit looks back with cheeky eyes and a cheeky grin*

"......oh I can't stay mad at you"

Curious how the bandit aspects will evolve in its next evolution. The design reminds me a bit of Krookodile due to the name and design. whoever mentioned it is likely spot on that this is the evil team's signature pokemon. I hope it's a 3 stage pokemon, perhaps it's final stage will be a Poison/Dragon. Based only on Pokemon revealed so far, this is what I'm thinking will be on my team:

Rowlett
Rockruff
Salandit

I like other pokemon revealled like pikipek, Komala, Vikavolt, Litten, Drampa and Cutie fly. However idk if I'd have them on my team for the campaign.

Neiteio

Curious how the bandit aspects will evolve in its next evolution. The design reminds me a bit of Krookodile due to the name and design. whoever mentioned it is likely spot on that this is the evil team's signature pokemon. I hope it's a 3 stage pokemon, perhaps it's final stage will be a Poison/Dragon.
I think it'll retain the Poison/Fire typing when it evolves. Too unique.

That being said, it could still become dragon-esque in appearance, in the same sense that vanilla Charizard is dragon-esque without being a Dragon.

Lord Byron said:
Based only on Pokemon revealed so far, this is what I'm thinking will be on my team:

Rowlett
Rockruff
Salandit
I'm still undecided on which starter I'll use. I genuinely like all three about equally.

Gameplay-wise, I'm really intrigued by Komala's innate status protection, and by Salandit's ability to poison everything. Vikavolt being a Bug/Electric-type with Ground-type immunity thanks to Levitate is also great.

Design-wise, I like all of the Gen 7 Pokemon so far, but especially the above three and Rockruff, Yungoos and Drampa.

The question remains: WHERE IS THE FLIPPER-STYLE DOLPHIN?

Neiteio

The more I see this thing, the more it grows on me.
It's the smug grin... Or maybe it's the cheeky glint in its eye...

Either way, it's too cute. You can't stay mad at it.

"Salandit! Did you poison the neighbors again, causing them to vomit uncontrollably?"

salandit.png
05d.jpg

Toxi

Banned
I hope Poison doesn't get shit on this Generation---well Gen VI gave them an advantage against Fairy which was nice, but there were only two new Poison-type Pokemon and Version Exclusive.

But this is a design that really appeals to me, and will probably end up on my team. I also totally can see this ending up with Team Rocket in the show.
Maybe we can finally get a Poison-type legendary.

Bishop89

Heatran can get poisoned whereas Gliscor has Poison Heal so he wants to be poisoned.
I interpreted the ability definition to mean it can only be poisoned via moves like toxic. Not that poison attacks would actually hurt steel types.

And thus both stab moves would not harm heatran at all and only something like toxic would work. Whereas with gliscor can still get hurt my stab moves, even if they weren't very effective

Neiteio

I like how you can see fire flaring up from its lower back and tail when it uses a Fire-type attack

salandit-fire01afsu0.png

Also, Toxic is one of the most satisfying moves to use in the game. The fact he can poison any type of Pokemon makes me mad hype.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't really care for this gen at all design wise.

This smug, shameless looking bastard is the first design I really like, I'm a sucker for reptilian Pokemon. Fire/Poison is a very interesting typing. Able to poison anyone, even Poison and Steel types sounds ridiculous. Seems like the Helioptile or Sandile of this generation. I might actually consider getting Sun or Moon BECAUSE of this shit-eating grin lizard.

Fingers crossed for good evolutions, reptiles rarely disappoint (like Heliolisk and Krookodile were both awesome evolutions).

I just hope you don't have to wait until very late in the game to get him, I loved the look of Noivern in Gen 6 but you couldn't get him until late game.

I think it'll retain the Poison/Fire typing when it evolves. Too unique.

That being said, it could still become dragon-esque in appearance, in the same sense that vanilla Charizard is dragon-esque without being a Dragon.

I'm still undecided on which starter I'll use. I genuinely like all three about equally.

Gameplay-wise, I'm really intrigued by Komala's innate status protection, and by Salandit's ability to poison everything. Vikavolt being a Bug/Electric-type with Ground-type immunity thanks to Levitate is also great.

Design-wise, I like all of the Gen 7 Pokemon so far, but especially the above three and Rockruff, Yungoos and Drampa.

The question remains: WHERE IS THE FLIPPER-STYLE DOLPHIN?
You're likely right about Salandit's evolutions retaining it's Fire/Poison typing. I'd like for their to be a Poison/Dragon. I'm still dissapointed that Goodra wasn't Poison/Dragon. I like most of the Gen 7 designs. Although I'm wary of how many pokemon will be in this game.

Yungoos is not a Pokémon that is native to the Alola region. It was brought to the region to help deal with the explosive population of a certain other Pokémon, and now Yungoos are commonly seen around the Alola region.

I'm curious what the certain other pokemon is. I hope it's not another snake since we've already done this with Zangoose and Seviper.

You're likely right about Salandit's evolutions retaining it's Fire/Poison typing. I'd like for their to be a Poison/Dragon. I'm still dissapointed that Goodra wasn't Poison/Dragon. I like most of the Gen 7 designs. Although I'm wary of how many pokemon will be in this game.

I'm curious what the certain other pokemon is. I hope it's not another snake since we've already done this with Zangoose and Seviper.

probably just a reference to how in real life mongooses were introduced to Hawaii to control rat populations, and ended up becoming an issue themselves

probably just a reference to how in real life mongooses were introduced to Hawaii to control rat populations, and ended up becoming an issue themselves
So I wonder if there will be a rat pokemon this generation. The rat Pokemon and Yungoose could be version exclusive. Granted for all we know it's a reference to Rattata.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone have a list of all the type combinations that haven't appeared yet?

Not sure about ALL of them, but we still don't have a Poison/Steel type. Poison/Steel with Levitate would have only one weakness, which would be Fire. Incoming mechanical scorpion tank who's Mega Evolution causes it to lift off the ground harrier jet and gain the Levitate ability.

Top Bottom