• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New previews for Dark Souls II

I really don't want to buy another PS3 game but I don't think I'll be able to wait more than a couple weeks for the PC version. Come on From

Sanctuary

It's fine to be a cynic, but it would be pretty fucking stupid to delay the PC version due to not wanting a repeat of their last port failure, and then fall for the same mistakes over and over again.

Did you even read what I said? Even a standard port is going to be better than the port of the first Dark Souls. Them delaying it could be for any number of reasons. And I don't doubt the game will be running at 60fps eventually, it just won't be out of the box consistently. It would be pretty fucking hard to mistranslate what was said in the Edge interview though. I guess "maybe" really meant "most definitely!" and "low priority" meant "low priority for console, because it's highest priority on PC!".

puzl

Banned
But "slightly better" doesn't make any sense. The game on console will run at 30 fps. Can you explain what slightly better would mean? A framerate that's locked at 35 fps? That doesn't make sense. If it's not locked at 30, it'll be able to do 60.

Also, how do you explain those 60 fps trailers?

The only thing I could think of is that "slightly better" (which again, is probably a mis-translation in this context) would be a locked 30fps, without dips. But that would make no sense either, considering the 60fps promotional material they've released.

Nope, he's just trying to be dismissive and confrontational. The game will be 60fps on PC and you're being incredibly naive if you think otherwise.

Jarsonot

There was slowdown in the ruins too. I remember running past the first few ghosts, dropping down to climb the ladder, and if a ghost followed you (which it almost always did) it would be a slide show for a bit.

That said, I still love the game. Best of the generation.

I'd love it if there was no slowdown, but I'm going to play it with or without.

puzl

Banned
And I don't doubt the game will be running at 60fps eventually, it just won't be out of the box consistently

I don't even know what that means. Either it runs at a target 60FPS out of the box, or it doesn't. If you have the PC muscle, then you can sustain it. If not, then it drops. This isn't anything new in PC games.

I think my GTX 780 will be OK, personally.

Haunted

Whether From is capable of delivering a competent version or the modding community will have to step up and fix their shit for them - the important part is that we'll get what we want eventually.

After experiencing the modded Dark Souls, I can't imagine playing Dark Souls II without a smooth framerate and properly showing off the work of their talented texture artists. Just doesn't feel right.

Sanctuary

Nope, he's just trying to be dismissive and confrontational. The game will be 60fps on PC and you're being incredibly naive if you think otherwise.

LMFAO. Just remember you said this once it's finally released. I don't even know why I'm bothering arguing with you anyway, it's pretty obvious you're entirely biased and not even trying to be objective at all.

Did you even read that, or did you just do a quick search for a random article that you thought would be useful ammunition for your cause? If you even read what was written, that doesn't actually prove that From was actually mistranslated at all.

There was slowdown in the ruins too. I remember running past the first few ghosts, dropping down to climb the ladder, and if a ghost followed you (which it almost always did) it would be a slide show for a bit.

That said, I still love the game. Best of the generation.

I'd love it if there was no slowdown, but I'm going to play it with or without.

This got me thinking. Is it a coincidence that the two major slowdown areas both have flying enemies, with an aggro range roughly proportionate to how severe the problems are? Is 3D pathfinding the main problem perhaps?

puzl

Banned
LMFAO. Just remember you said this once it's finally released. I don't even know why I'm bothering arguing with you anyway, it's pretty obvious you're entirely biased and not even trying to be objective at all.

If I'm biased, it's because I've read enough past material and actually SEEN the game run at 60fps in promotional trailers to make an objective judgement about it. You're letting a single interview in Edge skew what we've known about the PC version for almost a year now.

But hey, I try not to get upset about things like this. We'll see in 2 months regardless.

Feindflug

This got me thinking. Is it a coincidence that the two major slowdown areas both have flying enemies, with an aggro range roughly proportionate to how severe the problems are? Is 3D pathfinding the main problem perhaps?

Yep IIRC it was confirmed that the frame-rate problems in New Londo and Blighttown were caused by pathfinding/AI routines.

BTW the latest previews on the OP state that the frame-rate at least from what they played was smooth so let's hope that the case for the whole game.

What I'd like more from the series is the bosses to interact more with the player while you are fighting them, such as taunting and talking about why they are there in the first place, mute enemies just get boring

YES this. Love DeS and DaS but I would really like to hear something from some of the more.... human.... bosses. Classic bit of monologue about the reason they are trying to stop you would really bring more character to the world.

krakov

I really really hope they deal with modders and cheaters this time around. Such a sad fate for such a great game, RIP Dark Souls.

puzl

Banned
I really really hope they deal with modders and cheaters this time around. Such a sad fate for such a great game, RIP Dark Souls.

qhibhgh.png

Dr Dogg

Jarsonot

Sounds reasonable. I'm trying to think of other enemies that might use 3D pathfinding. All I can think of are the exploding skeleton-head bombs in the catacombs.

I don't remember experiencing much slowdown in the catacomb, though.

It would be cool if that WERE the problem, and if they fixed it - we could potentially see lot more "flying" enemies.

Edit: Dark Souls reminds me of Stephen King's "Gunslinger" - the world has moved on, and you're just one last person fighting the good fight, trying to make things right.

eot

Banned
The ghosts don't need much pathfinding since they can just fly straight at you through walls. In Blighttown I don't imagine it's the mosquitoes that are the problem either, it's just that the geometry is very complex in general. Afaik the mosquitoes don't really path around obstacles, they tend to get stuck in shit.

Mutombo

Do you need Xbox Live Gold for this? Or can you just plug into internet and use the online functionality of this game?

RedSwirl

I won't be surprised when the PC version turns out to look exactly like the console version in higher resolutions on framerates.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Do you need Xbox Live Gold for this? Or can you just plug into internet and use the online functionality of this game?
You need Xbox Live Gold to play any multiplayer online game on the 360. Why would this one be different? If you don't have gold, you can't go online.

I think its actually the water/liquid rendering that causes the slowdown in blightown and the ruins.

i-Lo

So whatever happened to EDGE's early preview about the game looking very close to the CG trailer? Did they accidentally see an "early-in-development" footage of the PC/PS4/XB1 build?

feel

So why the director tell in the EDGE interview that the PC version will have a slighty improved framerate?
He was just making the console version not seem too inferior in comparison. Do you believe there's a 35 or 40 FPS lock in the PC version or something? Of course it will be at 60fps easily on PC and even much more if modders unlock the cap if there is one.

Mutombo

You need Xbox Live Gold to play any multiplayer online game on the 360. Why would this one be different? If you don't have gold, you can't go online.

Then gain I shall try to conquer this offline world. Too bad, I was looking forward to some sort of online fun time.

soontroll

Banned
So whatever happened to EDGE's early preview about the game looking very close to the CG trailer? Did they accidentally see an "early-in-development" footage of the PC/PS4/XB1 build?

They were just hyping the game up. There's no way any build of the game will look close to the CG trailer.

Loakum

Banned
All the impressions I ever needed were the ones from EpicNameBro, and on twitter he said he liked it more than Dark Souls 1.

Enough for me. Time to go on Media Blackout!

Then that's more than enough for me too! His Dark Souls lore videos are the most in depth vids I've seen! He has that perfect narration voice! Glad I got my collector's edition pre order paid off! :)

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

If they weren't just totally bullshitting for hype, I would imagine they saw a very polished slice of a very incomplete game on a PC devkit which then had to be toned down as more content was added.

I'm not so sure of that after playing the Definitive Edition of Tomb Raider. It can be done for next gen.

Based on all the recent previews, the asset fidelity just isn't there. Some of the areas look like junk. And the Souls series has always had a drab, simplistic aesthetic to some extent. It's not known for its graphics, even though people love the way it looks now because of the association with how great a game it is. If it was a mediocre game, everyone would readily say it looked terrible, too.

Tomb Raider had much more complex geometry even on last gen, no doubt aided by semi-linearity and a bigger budget for visuals.

Grief.exe

I'm not so sure of that after playing the Definitive Edition of Tomb Raider. It can be done for next gen.

Forgetting the PC version(s)?

Oh wow, I totally forgot about that.

Dyno

Based on all the recent previews, the asset fidelity just isn't there. Some of the areas look like junk. And the Souls series has always had a drab, simplistic aesthetic to some extent. It's not known for its graphics, even though people love the way it looks now because of the association with how great a game it is. If it was a mediocre game, everyone would readily say it looked terrible, too.

People love the way it looks because there is an incredible amount of artistry in everything. The armour and weapons are gorgeous. The architecture is inspiring or ominous in turns. The monsters are excellent and the bosses. Oh the bosses.

There is a big difference between rendering horsepower and beautiful design. Souls games are decent with the former and brilliant with the later. That's why people say they love the way it looks.

Grief.exe

Have they mentioned if there is a easy mode? I don't have the patience or interest for tough games like I did growing up on the NES.

Dark Souls is meant to be experienced online and an Easy mode would quickly break that delicate balance.

The difficulty is honestly overblown.

soontroll

Banned

The CG trailer is miles ahead of anything current video games are capable of though. Even TR isn't close and that's with a bigger budget.

Have they mentioned if there is a easy mode? I don't have the patience or interest for tough games like I did growing up on the NES.

Of course there isn't an easy mode.

Bedlam

To the people who put their trust into ENB's words: why? What else is he going to say?

- He is a huge fan of the Souls games (like many of us) and just like everyone else, he could be blinded by the new.

- He earns money with streaming these games

- He is actively involved in the production of a Souls-game related product.

I'm not saying he is untrustworthy or that he is lying or anything. I'm just saying that he wouldn't say anything else at this point. Whether this Souls game is better or worse than its predecessors will reveal itself in the months after release, of course.

Don't play this game then. Simple.

RK9039

They saw the game running on a laptop, I don't know if there's any footage of the PC version yet?

Top Bottom