• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Xbox One Experience update drops Kinect gestures; usage was "very, very low"

DerZuhälter;184947209 said:
“Xbox removes motion gestures“
NeoGAF: Good riddance!

“Call of Duty's main characters race can't be changed“
NeoGAF: This is unacceptable!

Never change GAF.

Even if I were to agree to your insinuation that GAF is somehow a singular entity, I have no idea what those two things have to do with each other.

Help me out here.

Ok saw your explanation.

DerZuhälter;184949177 said:
Removing options being applauded, why exactly? Yet when options just don't exist everyone is fuming.

Still gonna need some help here.

It sold well enough the first time that I guess they figured they could get away with it the second time.

I don't think they knew why it sold in the first place. Kinect on the 360 sold as an optional party peripheral. It was basically The Dance Central/Just Dance Device.

Then someone at Microsoft (likely Mattrick) got the idea in their head that people were REALLY buying it for gestures and OS commands, so they force bundled the new device into every console at launch.

This generation's first bona fide "what were they thinking??" moment.

Xbox One's Kinect integration has only improved since release. The biggest benefits of Kinect aren't going anywhere with this move. Instant sign in along with preferred button configurations based on user, voice commands, the IR blaster functionality etc.

But surely you will have people making a mountain out of a mole hill.

But didn't someone - possibly Aaron Greenberg - say a few months ago that Kinect usage for navigating the interface was still high among owners of the device? I'll try to find a link.

this guy is definitely on to something here

Oh, he's definitely on something.

Xbox One's Kinect integration has only improved since release. The biggest benefits of Kinect aren't going anywhere with this move. Instant sign in along with preferred button configurations based on user, voice commands, the IR blaster functionality etc.

But surely you will have people making a mountain out of a mole hill.

This is the opposite really. Microsoft said gestures where a mountain, people here said molehill. Now we all agree molehill.

Molehill

DerZuhälter;184949177 said:
Removing options being applauded, why exactly? Yet when options just don't exist everyone is fuming.

Do you honestly believe removing racial diversity in games and removing barely used gestures in the dashboard are equivalent?

If so, SMH. Just because they both "remove things" doesn't mean they are similar in any way. It's a false equivalency.

therapist

even if the usage is low , what is the point in removing whats already there?

I never use it personally but i guess it sucks for those few who do.

Chronos24

Didn't use gestures much but what does piss me off is for some reason saying Volume up/down doesn't work anymore for my Sony receiver. It's always worked until NXOE and I've tried every option/configuration possible. Saying Mute/unmute still works. Reported on it several times but nothing fixed yet.

Really? You mean releasing little to no software that uses this feature makes it so that ultimately the usage is very, very low? This is why MS has all this money. Theyre just so on top of their game.

Hopefully this is the initial steps to releasing a stand-alone microphone for the Xbox. Just a small micorphone I can install behind the TV or somewhere out of sight, so I can use Cortana in the future.

But didn't someone - possibly Aaron Greenberg - say a few months ago that Kinect usage for navigating the interface was still high among owners of the device? I'll try to find a link.

I have to believe he was talking about voice navigation, which is highly useful and not going anywhere.

EGM1966

Because it costs money to keep it there they'd rather not spend. That's the clear context of the quote.

Amy feature costs money to maintain. Each new version of the dash they need to test they haven't broken the guest urges, that they still operate, et. and they have to spend support cash on being ready to support issues with it.

That's how maintaining software goes.

They clearly don't wish tone end that money and effort for such a small user community so yeah it sucks a bit but they loose out and the money goes where MS feels it offers a better return: popular and new features.

It might seem once the write the code the cost stops but that's not how maintaining and supporting software goes at all. Every bit of code costs money over time just to retain.

Really? You mean releasing little to no software that uses this feature makes it so that ultimately the usage is very, very low? This is why MS has all this money. Theyre just so on top of their game.

Er...what? Kinect software that uses gestures still works and can be released. This is only for navigating the dashboard. Nice MS troll though.

Pachimari

Wasn't the official reason for the delay to Tier 2 that they wanted to make sure that stuff like this would work when they launched?

You have to change your region to America, in order to use voice commands. But then you need to change your region back to Scandinavia if you want to buy from the store. Ridiculous.

balohna

I own a kinect and never used gestures, but I also can't recall being prompted to set them up or told how to use them. I once tried to use them because I realized I had a kinect and should be able to. It didn't work. I'm guessing I had to dig into settings but didn't care enough.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member

I think it played a huge factor in how they overhauled the entire dashboard. In the old dashboard, things were effectively massive buttons that you can press. With the new dashboard, it doesn't look like that at all and actually I think it would be difficult to actually use motion gestures. That bloody hand would jump, lock onto something else, and press to activate all the damned time.

Those Kinect + Controller hybrid games must be just around the corner. I was told they are a gamechanger.
I still think the body temp functionality could be pretty great for horror games. They could tell how wound up you are and either really nail you with a scare or lay off a bit. Alien Isolation is actually pretty cool too because the Alien could hear you through the Kinect. One time I was hiding in a locker and I sneezed irl and the bugger zeroed in on me.

You have to change your region to America, in order to use voice commands. But then you need to change your region back to Scandinavia if you want to buy from the store. Ridiculous.

One day, someone at Microsoft will discover the world outside USA and maybe, just maybe, let us change the console UI language seperate of the store region.

Or, they will continue to ignore Europe and never do anything cool for us.

mclem

I still occasionally yell at my Xbox, but yeah, there's not a great deal of motivation to wave my arms at it.

daTRUballin

I'm not sure. I saw information that the game was being completely redone. Haven't heard any updates lately. I hope it isn't canned since I was really interested in the game. Looked like the perfect combination of traditional (controller) platforming and having kinect as a tool either for single player or co-op.

"Kinect dashboard gestures."

Yeah ok, voice commands are still being used, my bad. But that's not really saying much. Nobody really cared about the Kinect during the Xbox One's launch, so I've (and many other people) always just assumed it isn't being used as much as it was on the 360. Am I wrong on this?

Completely unsurprising as they never were efficient or reliable. Voice commands, controller tracking/battery preservation/user assignment, Skype, and facial recognition-based sign-in are all that the device is good for, as far as MS' utilization goes these days. Hopefully, they will update voice training for 'Xbox' commands at the local user level and facial recognition past launch quality...one day. Other than that, it seems like 'Hey, Cortana...' functionality is all that MS has planned and that will finally be available to headset microphones as well. Shame, since it's a neat device that never got more use.

watership

The Dashboard OS runs in a small Virtual Machine off the Hypervisor which has limited access and power compared to the Console OS which runs games. Giving up the visual hand/skeletal tracking probably freed up resources.

Pachimari

I just want way more Kinect games, or at least Kinect integration through gestures, than we have now. It could have really differentiated the Xbox from the rest, and motion games were what I really wanted.

Head.spawn

[/b]

Yeah ok, voice commands are still being used, my bad. But that's not really saying much. Nobody really cared about the Kinect during the Xbox One's launch, so I've (and many other people) always just assumed it isn't being used as much as it was on the 360. Am I wrong on this?

Is it an assumption made with literally no research/stats/data?

EvB

'Hey, Cortana...' functionality is all that MS has planned and that will finally be available to headset microphones as well. Shame, since it's a neat device that never got more use.

And just watch how everyone will bitch when it doesn't function when you are in a party

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Gotta give MS credit for reacting, responding so quickly after the XBO launch.

I am one of the crazy ones that wanted a Kinect and planned on using it when I finally got an XBO.

Nick

I know people poo-poo the Xbone Kinect, but I use voice controls for television constantly. It's my favorite feature of the entire console.

RedToad64

At this point, the Xbox One should just come either with a directional microphone that mounts on top of the TV or with a controller that has an embedded microphone. Voice commands are probably the only thing that at least some people really use. The camera is virtually useless for most people.
So basically...
wiispeak.jpg

Something like the Wii Speak.

And just watch how everyone will bitch when it doesn't function when you are in a party

Never thought about that. Wonder how that will work. I can't wait for the ultimate convenience/lazy factor with reliable speech-to-text messaging and more functions available during full gameplay. The less menu/UI navigation, the better.

daTRUballin

Is it an assumption made with literally no research/stats/data?

Well, maybe not entirely, but the general consensus (at least on GAF) is that Kinect is basically dead (aside from voice commands and other user interface stuff). I think it's definitely not as popular as it was on the 360.

Not to mention it has barely any games for it on the One.

malfcn

Gestures never worked for me. Commands are used daily. Now if I can figure out why TV command stopped working correctly..

This post manages to miss the mark on all aspects, congrats.

Yes thats it, ive clearly missed the mark and yet nothing is being released, talked about or announced for anyone to want to use gestures, dashboard or otherwise. But yes, ive really missed the mark. God forbid someone points out the lack of software needed whether it be apps or otherwise for people to wanna use something.

But guess what, voice on the other hand is being used and will be even more with cortana coming soon. More software and support = more usage. Totally off on that one.

New002

This post manages to miss the mark on all aspects, congrats.

I think what they are trying to get at is that maybe if MS had provided more meaningful software support in regards to gestures then that might have lead to an increased use of gestures when navigating the UI since people would have been more familiar and comfortable with them.

At least I think that's what they're trying to say, and I don't disagree really.

Head.spawn

Yes thats it, ive clearly missed the mark and yet nothing is being released, talked about or announced for anyone to want to use gestures, dashboard or otherwise. But yes, ive really missed the mark. God forbid someone points out the lack of software needed whether it be apps or otherwise for people to wanna use something.

But guess what, voice on the other hand is being used and will be even more with cortana coming soon. More software and support = more usage. Totally off on that one.

You said the reason why people weren't using it is because there was no software released to take advantage of it... when it doesn't require any additional software to take advantage of it.

Now you're saying people use voice a lot more because it has more software support.. pointing to software that has not even been released as the reasoning?

None of that sounds coherent, has nothing to do with MS's ability to make money and I definitely don't get how it has anything to do with their ability to be at the top of their game.

Carry on I guess.

I think what they are trying to get at is that maybe if MS had provided more meaningful software support in regards to gestures then that might have lead to an increased use of gestures when navigating the UI since people would have been more familiar and comfortable with them.

At least I think that's what they're trying to say, and I don't disagree really.

It was used for navigating the OS. They have since launch; reorganized how people can navigate, making it easier to do with controllers, simplifying the layout, adding the new Guide thing, improving voice recog etc etc... they effectively made it obsolete for the people that were using it. Releasing games or other apps that used it would never make people more likely to use it to navigate the OS.

The main point is that this is only referring to the OS gesture functionality, it has nothing to do with anything else at all.

Top Bottom