• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Yooka-Laylee screenshots and info; Toybox coming for backers in July

Pizza

The game looks damn great, but I'm still bummed about the way Yooka holds Laylee when they glide, with his arms behind his head. Idk, only thing in the game that looks dumb

PSqueak

Banned
Not sure if it was explained properly, but Dr. Puzz is in charge of Yooka's transformation machine, so the idea behind her design is that she's had a small 'accident' during her experiments :)

Needless to say she looks at her best animated in-game.

Knowing this helps her design make a lot more sense to me now. Looking forward to see her animated!

This small piece of information justifies the design a lot more for me, lol.

Aw come on people, how was that not obvious just from looking at her? She's an adorable cronenberg style moster and i wuv her just like she is.

Diffense

I think Puzz is supposed to be slightly monstrous. Her design screams "experiment gone wrong". Since she'll be responsible for Yooka-Laylee's transformations the setup is there for some funny banter when they have to trust her not to screw up theirs.

Oddduck

And at the risk of being the OTHER asshole backseat character designer, I decided to do my own take on how I would've gone with Dr. Puzz's look:

Priorities; got rid of the weird tentacle beard, and instead gave her "hair" as the tentacles from her weird jellyfish cap thing. Also removed her nose entirely, because an aquatic character like her looks bizarre with one. Other than that, I left her bottom portion intact, because I quite like how it looks. :)

That's a great design.

DvRb.jpg

Dr. Quack's design was posted up on Twitter.

daTRUballin

It would help though considering most of the talent that worked on the good Banjo games work at Playtonic now.

We don't know whether current Rare could make a good Banjo game or not, and that's why we should give them a chance. Just because the old devs are gone doesn't mean the new devs can't make something good.

Also, did you know the Playtonic folks worked on Nuts & Bolts as well? I don't know if you excluded Nuts & Bolts from the "good Banjo games" list though.

ramparter

Banned
I sure hope not. They created Playtonic in order to not find themselves in this situation ever again, and to have a complete controle over what they create. They want to create games in differente genres that share the same universe, and I hope they stick to it.
I'd be down for a new Banjo from today's Rare though. And if it disappoints I wouldn't be too mad since we've got Playtonic now.

I meant outsourcing a Banjo game to them, not buying them as a studio.

Diffense

Not sure if it was explained properly, but Dr. Puzz is in charge of Yooka's transformation machine, so the idea behind her design is that she's had a small 'accident' during her experiments :)

Needless to say she looks at her best animated in-game.

I honestly didn't see this before I commented above but glad to know I was right. I figured that's what she was about and it will be pretty funny when Yooka/Layle have to subject themselves to her transformations.

Top Bottom