• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yooka-Laylee Toybox being released for applicable backers today

.Anema

Downloading right now, can't wait! Anyone tried with the SCP drivers to play with the Dualshock 3 / Dualshock 4?

Thud

Some random shots:

lLNOix3.png
PHAhYya.png
rgK9xya.png

UpCFf0x.jpg
JRKdWZ4.png

First impression is quite good. Obviously it's on the rough side with models, movement (especially swimming) and animation. The moveset is a very basic set consisting of jumps, double jumps, spring jump, hover, rolling, tail whip, and a ground pound. For swimming there's only dive and rise. You have to look in specific places to find all the quills, some are not easy to reach and require a bit of skills. The toybox bot also provides us with typical Rare humor.

Took me about a hour to collect 100 quills. While I have the toybox+, I have no idea what it unlocks. Visual effects and music is what makes this very enjoyable to play around with. I stumbled a bit with the controls, groundpounding where I wanted to use a spring jump. Hovering is somewhat awkward as well, multiple times I double jumped where I wanted that extra air time.

As with Bloodstained it shows a lot of promise and gets the feeling right, even though it's still unpolished. I'm not sure if there's enough there to keeping playing in the toybox. I'll probably go through it once again on a bigger screen.

Played using a steamcontroller. I hope this post is somewhat useful to you guys :).

XaosWolf

Holy shit, my only complaint was the crazy turning whilst you're rolling. Everything else was just what I wanted. =D

I expect the camera to be fixed and animations to be added. That and a ledge grab move for sure.

Cannot WAIT for the full release and am so glad I backed this. I have as much confidence in this game as I did Shovel Knight.

GeeDuhb

Just throwing this out there...I am able to play it just fine (maybe a slightly low frame rate) on my MacBook Pro with intel integrated graphics. Hopefully that helps some of you!

Gartooth

Gotta say this was a really good first impression for a game still in alpha. I already love the music, sound effects, and character moves. It completely nails the feel of being like Banjo-Kazooie.

Here's a few things that I thought could have been better:

-- Underwater controls. Yooka will ascend or descend too quickly just by pressing a button, whereas I wanted to keep him at a steady level.

-- The camera when jumping into or out of the water was jarring.

-- I didn't care for the peripheral vision while underwater either since its blurriness got distracting.

-- Don't like how Laylee will stop gliding if I collide with some geometry. Had that happen a lot with the seesaws near the top of the map.

-- This doesn't matter too much since I will be playing this on PS4, but I was confused when I started the demo as to why I was always in the ball form and couldn't do a normal walk. I found out that I needed to activate a menu option for users that use Windows 10 and an Xbox One controller to fix it.

-- Ball rolling physics are pretty tedious too. Not sure if it was just to demo that or if pushing things are part of the main game, but I feel like character movement needs to change to accommodate this. Best comparison I can think of is how Conker was context sensitive when trying to push things in Bad Fur Day, and would put his arms around it and give greater control.

Pretty much everything else was great though. I really love the basic feel of the characters so far. Also this easter egg gave me a good chuckle.
There's a dip in framerate when you get to the very top of the map. The NPC then blames it on the game's artists. hahaha

There's a little room hidden in the water at the base of the tower you need to roll up.

I missed it too despite checking there earlier.

Thank you! Getting 100 Quills didn't give me trouble but that almost drove me insane!

TheMink

The camera is infuriating. I need a free camera option. It always locking being character is so frustrating.

My second issue is how many jumps can only barely be reached by a double jump. If I have to attempt it twice/just do a high jump for every jump it gets old fast.

illusionary

Excellent to see this coming out today... I'd pretty much assumed at this point that we'd not get the ToyBox until August. I've got the game downloaded and while I'll not have time to explore it fully today (that'll wait for the weekend, not long now), it's very encouraging to see that from a quick foray into the ToyBox I'm getting a steady 60fps out of my GTX 965M at 1080p/"fantastic". I look forward to giving this some more time over the weekend!

Ultimadrago

Man, the roll jumping is excellent.

The platforming camera, on the other hand, is straight BOOTY. Fix that ish. The swimming controls could also use some work.

All in all, I'm digging it.

lionpants

So, what does the Toybox Plus entail exactly? I have it installed and have collected all quills?

EDIT: Looks like it just adds the combat island with the grunts.

DSix

Banned
Well, it's promising, the controls are fine and it looks like good times are to come.

Only issue is the camera has a tendency to derp around some angles, nothing game breaking but you'd expect it to be more responsive in those cases.

killroy87

Weird, I never got an email, and after entering my email into the backerkit website it says there's no record of a pledge under my email address. Now I have to contact support, ughhhh

Camjo-Z

Just finished it. Unfortunately the config tool refused to open so I was stuck playing it at a zoomed in and pixelated resolution with nearly no shadows, but I still went ahead and collected all those quills anyway!

I wish the double jump went just a little higher, it's pretty annoying to have to do the "double jump + wait for float to raise you half an inch" thing, and Laylee falling out of the sky whenever you touch the wall doesn't help. Other than that though I liked it a lot. Having the roll move be a bit slippery is strange at first but ultimately good because it speeds you up, but unlike Kazooie's Talon Trot it doesn't make the base movement option feel totally worthless. And of course, the writing still has that Rare charm, nice to see they're still taking potshots at Microsoft even with the NPCs.

So I've collected 93 quills - is there a particularly well hidden cache of them that is harder to find? I feel like I've explored pretty well.

edit: okay got 98. and i already got the 2 hidden at the beginning

aaand got it. That is some damn satisfying platforming.

Salty Hippo

Gliding is too long and too generous in how straight you go. Does Laylee have a propeller up her ass?

Swimming is just tolerable enough, should have the same feel and weight that B-K has.

Camera needs a ton of work.

Other than that I thought it was great. Controls are responsive. Traversal is quick and fun. Level design will be key though, and it's impossible to judge that based on a such a basic (understandably) sandbox.

I don't think grab ledge should be added to the final the game, to me it kinda defeats the purpose of a platformer. Leave that shit for games like Uncharted.

Welp....
Yooka-Laylee%207_28_2016%2010_28_14%20PM_zpsyiggfzm1.png

Yooka-Laylee%207_28_2016%2010_28_01%20PM_zpsi3jbwenp.png

Yooka-Laylee%207_28_2016%2010_38_12%20PM_zpsv3lzoocl.png

Yooka-Laylee%207_28_2016%2010_37_38%20PM_zpspi40dbwh.png

I'M SOLD!
imsold_zpsctpl7hgg.png

Definitely have that Banjo-Kazooie feel, which was obvious enough in the trailers. Just fix up the camera controls, and it'll be perfect.

Xieldos

Loved the toybox so much, can't remember genuinely smiling while playing a game for a number of years.

The only issue, and it's a tiny one, is that I think the rolling is too fast. Had quite a bit of trouble initially getting up the tall tower with the slides.

Can't wait for the full game.

Salty Hippo

Loved the toybox so much, can't remember genuinely smiling while playing a game for a number of years.

The only issue, and it's a tiny one, is that I think the rolling is too fast. Had quite a bit of trouble initially getting up the tall tower with the slides.

Can't wait for the full game.

You can control the speed of rolling with the analog stick.

Where's the
floor texture room?

Thought I had found everything but obviously not...

There's a switch halfway through the huge slider.

WillyFive

I love how polished this game is, it was super fun just running and platforming around to grab all 100 items. However, I could not find the extra button that pops up after you get all 100 notes.

Holy shit, my only complaint was the crazy turning whilst you're rolling. Everything else was just what I wanted. =D

I expect the camera to be fixed and animations to be added. That and a ledge grab move for sure.

Pretty much me too.

Turning while rolling felt weird, I had to retry the tower climb a few times.
Also had a bit of trouble, but much less so, with swimming. It's not broken but I hope for more smoothness.
Third thing is that you kinda stop and fall when you're touching a vertical surface while hovering, I wish for that to change.

Other than that, it's veeeery good. Pumped for the full release.

Thud

I actually like the water effects, but it's just there to show off.

The camera definitely needs work. Standing in a cage where quills stood, the camera reveals a side of yooka we haven't seen before!

Does it bother anyone else that Yooka is the one who makes a sound when you do a double jump? At first I was confused, because the sound made it seem like Yooka was double jumping without any help, but the animation is clearly Laylee grabbing on and flying upward a bit.

Woffls

Minor issues:
  • Camera is a bit dodgy around walls, and behaves that way around really low walls as well where normal camera would be fine.
  • Ledge grab would be reeaaalll nice, but that might be because it's more difficult to judge distance when you're just jumping between geometric shapes
  • Going into a backflip while running could do with a little slide rather than stopping right away. Like it was in BK, incidentally.
  • Sliding down that V shape slope doesn't center you towards the middle quick enough (at all?) and just feels annoying.
  • My GPU utilisation is higher when in the background than when playing.
  • Pushing that ball was not at all fun. Make it easier or just remove those puzzles.
I looooveeee the rolling. Treat it like drifting and eventually you get used to it and can roll all the way up the tower without much trouble. It will be a major component of the gameplay, so there has to be some nuance to it.

Top Bottom