• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yooka-Laylee Toybox being released for applicable backers today

Rich!

long shot but

plz giv code

I need more rareware (true rareware)

Ddqf7rol.jpg

AaronMT86

Alright quick thoughts after playing an hour

Love it.

One issue to talk about for now and one two minor nits:

Main issue are the see-saw platforms. For me, personally, there was a bit of frustration in getting up them due to not knowing when my jump would be enough height to get up versus a LT+A ("flutter") jump. I would always not quite be level with landing a jump, even a fully tilted platform.

What I kind of miss in situations like this is a ledge grab ability (I know, I know, Mario 64).

Because Yooka grabs onto Laylee's arms, will Yooka not be able to ledge grab and pull Yooka up?

http://imgur.com/a/K69yt

In the screenshot above, on the see-saw platforms at the top is where I can't make that jump unless I LT+A ("flutter") jump.

My minor nit is the weird fishbowl barrel CRT distortion effect under-water.

Second nit, rolling turn radius is wild. Wondering if that will be honed in a bit for better control.

Shin-Ra

Very pleased with how it controls, camera gets stuck in a few places, usually after cutaway cutscenes and hopefully a first person camera's added to R3 for easier spotting.

28533067591_b6c2b93797_o.jpg

28579209896_b3bf6447f6_o.jpg

27995426613_a7c900ae0a_o.jpg

28327379780_4c7338ca7a_o.jpg

28533058711_bf812fc286_o.jpg

27995417443_9d2458bd06_o.jpg

28612005695_1c498e2a8d_o.jpg

27995416413_88a56c15fa_o.jpg

27994671514_2f01f48780_o.jpg

27994670954_f6f3052548_o.jpg

Exuro

I felt the see saws were a little too loose. I ended up just tail jumping from the center of each. Felt a lot more reliable.

Sydle

Alright quick thoughts after playing an hour

Love it.

One issue to talk about for now and one two minor nits:

Main issue are the see-saw platforms. For me, personally, there was a bit of frustration in getting up them due to not knowing when my jump would be enough height to get up versus a LT+A ("flutter") jump. I would always not quite be level with landing a jump, even a fully tilted platform.

What I kind of miss in situations like this is a ledge grab ability (I know, I know, Mario 64).

Because Yooka grabs onto Laylee's arms, will Yooka not be able to ledge grab and pull Yooka up?

http://imgur.com/a/K69yt

In the screenshot above, on the see-saw platforms at the top is where I can't make that jump unless I LT+A ("flutter") jump.

My minor nit is the weird fishbowl barrel CRT distortion effect under-water.

Second nit, rolling turn radius is wild. Wondering if that will be honed in a bit for better control.

Why not spring jump to the middle of the platform?

ultrazilla

Gold Member
So glad I backed this! It's so charming. Playing with Xbox One controller. Controls are tight. Music is God-like. Graphics are crisp and colorful. Can't wait for the proper game!

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
That was fun, some of the camera/control stuff was a bit off, mainly on the see-saws, but other than that it all felt pretty tite.

The humour, moves, sound, music, all felt like Banjo to me, great little teaser.

Lijik

Controls in this are a stepup from Rare's n64 games (BK in particular I find fairly rough). Yooka's base movement is a bit faster than those games, and the jump arc feels just right. Never liked how the n64 games tended to have weirdly long leaps for the basic jump. The rolling jump is closer to those, but in the context of rolling around at high speeds it feels right.

Theres more they could do to suit my tastes (like adding an extraneous backflip!) but that would be frosting imo, these are some solid ass controls.

alexbull_uk

Just played through it and found the secret.

Really impressed so far. Obviously there's not much to go on graphically but the music and most importantly the controls really hit the spot. Feels like a proper old school platformer. Can't wait for the full release.

Only had time to play a bit, but it feels great, save for the camera, which feels weird. But overall very happy with what we've got here, can't wait to put some more time into it

Big Nikus

Where is the switch after you get the 100 quills ? I've been running around like a fool for nearly half an hour lol. I'm sure it's obvious ><

Semajer

Where is the switch after you get the 100 quills ? I've been running around like a fool for nearly half an hour lol. I'm sure it's obvious ><

There's a little room hidden in the water at the base of the tower you need to roll up.

I missed it too despite checking there earlier.

bumpkin

I'm curious to find out if this will run on my home MacBook Pro. The requirement notes say that integrated Intel graphics won't cut it, but that's a bit perplexing to me since this is running on Unity and other Unity games work fine. I guess we'll see in an hour or so (when I get home).

Dalius

I only had time to play for a few minutes but so far, I love it. I was confused for the first few minutes when I was stuck in roll mode. I was thinking "I don't remember the game looking like this in the trailers"; I had to do a quick search to figure out I needed to activate a Windows 10 + Xbone controller option. Now it works perfectly. Can't wait to dive deeper in!

MCN

Banned
Anyone beat the demo? I think we got another PT on our hands. Can't find the hidden switch anywhere.

I've done it.

The switch is on the raised bit in the middle of all the wind.

EDIT:. Oh, apparently that's not the one. Bugger, now I have to do it all again!

Just played through it and yeah, it's very much Banjo Kazooie, which is a good thing!

Apart from a few minor camera issues sometimes and the turning when rolling being a bit wild it was pretty much exactly what I was hoping for.

I do hope there is some form of shadowing or ambient occlusion or something when standing in the shade though. Sometimes it looks like they are floating, for example in Shin-Ra's image below. Just a minor nitpick. It'll probably look better on actual terrain anyway.

Cramoss

Xqv5lwG.gif

It really feels like the Banjo game I've been waiting for years and years. Only thing I miss is the iconic Banjo and Kazooie voices.

I've done it.

The switch is on the raised bit in the middle of all the wind.

EDIT:. Oh, apparently that's not the one. Bugger, now I have to do it all again!

The hidden switch that appears after getting all the collectables is.

Hidden under the water moat around the large tower. You have to swim under one of the sides, then up in to a hidden passage.

Edit: nevermind, beaten several times!

celebi23

Man, I've got 92 Quill things and I'm having some minor difficulty finding the rest >_< It's been awhile since I've played a game like this :p

Can anyone with Toybox access confirm if you can use the mouse to control the camera while using the gamepad, or if one locks the other out from input? Too many 3D platformers have a habit of doing this, which sucks for Steam Controller users.

Both are working at the same time, I was playing with a gamepad and tried with K/M for a minute just to see how it goes.
Thank you so much! The toybox gameplay looks amazing, definitely itching to pick it up on launch.

Big Nikus

Can anyone with Toybox access confirm if you can use the mouse to control the camera while using the gamepad, or if one locks the other out from input? Too many 3D platformers have a habit of doing this, which sucks for Steam Controller users.

Both are working at the same time, I was playing with a gamepad and tried with K/M for a minute just to see how it goes.

NZerker12

As a fan of old school 3D platformers I loved it. The rolling also reminds a bit of Sonic and makes moving around fast and fun.

Here are a few screenshots I took:

UJppT9X.jpg

k7E8cmF.jpg

N4qqgab.jpg

RdxmVwC.jpg

vSqBjOg.jpg

Luigi87

Looking at footage from people... Maximum regrets, lol
for backing 5 pounds short. This looks like everything I've wanted for nearly 16 years.

OldRoutes

It's weird that they wouldn't let people back the project with this ToyBox out.

They'd make a good amount of money from all this hype.

GeeDuhb

Gahhhhh I didn't realize the "toybox +" demo had more content! I wish I would have backed that one! Oh well, excited to boot this up soon!

FYI, if anyone has not gotten their code yet, if you go to the backer kit link that was sent to you back when you filled out your survey, you can get it there! ;)

I'm curious to find out if this will run on my home MacBook Pro. The requirement notes say that integrated Intel graphics won't cut it, but that's a bit perplexing to me since this is running on Unity and other Unity games work fine. I guess we'll see in an hour or so (when I get home).

I have not actually got a chance to play it yet, but I downloaded it and launched it on my MBP with Intel graphics and the menu loaded, so maybe there is hope?

Top Bottom