• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yooka-Laylee Toybox being released for applicable backers today

I'm getting stuck rolling and I don't know why, with both keyboard and mouse as well as controller not sure what the problem is.

tkscz

Paid for it and got the email telling me it will be sent, but no other email with a code.

NVM, went to their backer site and logged in. Code is in my account.

J@hranimo

Banned
Man it's too bad I couldn't afford to back more money to get access to the Toybox :(

Hope everyone enjoys it! Post impressions too, I'd love to hear the progress of the game mechanics thus far.

If only all kickstarters were as well put-together as this one. It's so organized, and you can tell they put so much love into this game. I'll look forward to buying it on the NX!

kadotsu

Banned
Everything about the controls feels good with exception of one minor thing: The Ground Pound. The GP should immediately kill your horizontal momentum but in the toy box there is some startup in the animation which sometimes makes me overshoot targets when I try to go fast.

Almost everyone in the thread right now (Including me)

183e2q.jpg

Exuro

Got the page. It unlocks a button and I'm yet to find where it is.

Also Yooka's grunt when he goes into the ball is extremely grating. I hope that gets removed, as it also randomly happens for other moves.

Had to cut the stream short but man I loved everything I played. A few control issues might need a little work (trying to roll up the tower in the second area was a pain because the momentum made you feel like you could turn easier then you actually could) but besides that it was fantastic, I'll stream it again later absolutely loved it.

Sydle

Got the page. It unlocks a button and I'm yet to find where it is.

Also Yooka's grunt when he goes into the ball is extremely grating. I hope that gets removed, as it also randomly happens for other moves.

Can you post here when you do? I looked around for 15 minutes, recovering my steps across the whole map and didn't find it.

Anyone know how to get these quills?

http://i.imgur.com/wYDwiiR.png

Make your way to the top of the tower behind you and you'll find a ball you need to get into that hole

Skikkiks

Somebody found the secret.

Apparently at the tower you roll to get up, there's a secret passage underwater where the button lies.

The secret is how to find another secret in the main game.

Video.

Sydle

Somebody found the secret.

Apparently at the tower you roll to get up, there's a secret passage underwater where the button lies.

The secret is how to find another secret in the main game.

Video.

lol
I walked around that tower twice looking into the water to see if there was a passage I missed and I still overlooked it.

Today will be a long day. I dont get home till 6 and then i got a dentist appointment at 6:40. I will start the download when I get home.

Edit I thought code begging wasnt allowed? Am I wrong?

Exuro

Well overall I was pretty happy. Felt very banjo-y. Controls felt pretty tight, other than the camera which would sometimes either not point where you want or get stuck on an object. Some of Yooka's grunts are very grating and I'm hoping they get removed/changed. The movement on the slides also need some more work. Currently I feel like the characters are moving to slowly down them. Music is great and I love the transition between areas.

Kouichi

Just finished collecting everything and found the secret.

I love it so far. The overall presentation totally feels like Banjo in every way, and the platforming is tight and responsive. I had a lot fun just platforming all around the sandbox and collecting stuff.

epmode

Oh okay, cool! How exactly do BackerKit and Kickstarter connect? I don't see a way to authenticate into BackerKit with my Kickstarter account.

My account is pretty old so I don't quite remember.

I'd suggest getting to the login page at BackerKit (the link for backers, not creators) and using the Forgot Password link. It should be looking for the same email address you use for Kickstarter.

To everyone waiting for their codes to be sent via mail:
You won't get one sent.
You have to get through BackerKit. That's what I had to do and that's what it said in the email informing me of the availability of the codes.

I already played through the whole Toybox+ and recorded my whole playthrough.

My game soft-locked once though, when trying to get into the enemy showroom. I was able to quit the game through the menu, but I couldn't move or do anything anymore.
EDIT: This is the only time I had any kind of bug happen to me and it didn't happen anymore after I restarted the game.

Control-wise it's like 95% Banjo-Kazooie. It feels a little bit more precise and the swim controls are way different (in my opinion not as good as BK's but that may just be nostalgia speaking).
Camera for now is a mess, though. It gets stuck on the geometry easily and there's no way to reset the camera or look around in first person. I hope they at least do something about the camera getting stuck part. 70% of the time the camera works though.

The music is FANTASTIC! My god, I just love Kirkhope's music. Such a unique style.

I played it on "Fastest" graphics settings so I probably missed a lot of effects, but that at least gave me the opportunity to record everything in 720p30 (while gameplay was 60fps for 99% of the time) on my old-ass laptop.

The game has an evil secret. Very evil. I won't spoil it here (it's in my video though, but I'll have to edit that first).

My whole playthrough of the Toybox (with soft-lock, restart, etc.) was a bit more than an hour. Had my game ont soft-locked and force me to restart it I probably would've finished it in less than an hour, but that's okay. It's just a pre-alpha demo showcase and for that it's longer than I would've thought.

The sound effects and mumble speak is spot on. Even the text font is EXACTLY THE SAME as Banjo-Kazooie's (on the N64; the 360 version had a slightly different font than the N64 version).

Overall it's got a very positive impression out of me. This will not by any means possible be another Mighty No. 9 situation. This game will be at least good, if not great, and the soundtrack WILL be absolutely fantastic.

EDIT: Just found out that I did my whole recording session on "Fastest" video settings. Just tried it on "Fantastic" and it runs exactly the same.
This game will probably look beautiful and won't be power hungry at all. I like that very much.

I haven't seen any mention of the system specs yet, so I'm gonna post them real quick (copied from the FAQ):

PC
Processor: Intel Core2Duo E7300 @ 2.4 GHz
Memory: 4GB
Graphics: NVidia GeForce GTS 450 / AMD Radeon HD 6850
Direct X: 10.0
Storage: 1GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX compatible sound card
Additional Notes: Please be aware that the game does not support integrated video cards such as Intel. We recommend playing this game with a Xbox 360 controller.

MAC
Processor: Intel i5 @ 2.7GHz
Memory: 8GB
Graphics: GeForce 640M / ATI Radeon HD5750
Additional Notes: Please be aware that the game does not support integrated video cards such as Intel. We recommend playing this game with a PS4 controller.

LINUX
Processor: Intel i5-2500k @ 3.3GHz
Memory: 4GB
Graphics: NVidia GeForce GTS 450 / AMD Radeon HD 6850

Additional Notes: Please be aware that the game does not support integrated video cards such as Intel. Users with AMD graphics cards will need to run the application on the ‘good’ quality setting or below. We recommend playing this game with a Xbox One controller.

Exuro

EDIT: Just found out that I did my whole recording session on "Fastest" video settings. Just tried it on "Fantastic" and it runs exactly the same.
This game will probably look beautiful and won't be power hungry at all. I like that very much.
Id assume the main game will be a bit more performance heavy since a majority of the toybox is cubes. Enough to make a difference? I don't know

AaronMT86

After the secret room, where is this lone rock you're told to smash near a tree? Or is that a reference for the full-game?

Just found the final secret!

I hope the controls are ironed out a bit. Being able to segue from ball roll to a crouch would be welcomed by me. The turning radius on the ball roll and/or the sharp platforming involving the move need to be fine-tuned.

I played this with poor performance, so my experiences with mechanics might not be representative of how things play when it's running well.

After the secret room, where is this lone rock you're told to smash near a tree? Or is that a reference for the full-game?

The latter. The first four words are literally "
In the full game *do this and that*
". (This is a spoiler for the secret in this toybox and what it's connected to. Don't open these spoilers or you will spoil yourself, as these spoilers contain actual spoilers)

Id assume the main game will be a bit more performance heavy since a majority of the toybox is cubes. Enough to make a difference? I don't know

I'd think so, yes. But I'm pretty sure the full game will definitely playable on old PCs on the "Fastest" setting (which basically "just" removes all the dynamic shadows, so it basically looks even more like B-K :p )

Top Bottom