• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NextGen Wheels peripherals PS4 and Xbox One Thread: NeoGaf Wheel Club Updates in OP

Shaneus

You ham-fisted monkey-pawed people need to learn how to caress a shifter delicately into place, rather than grabbing it and slamming it wherever it will fit ;)

(Seriously though a stronger neutral / return spring would be a godsend!).
I'd also kill for a (cheap) shifter that easily enough switches to dual-throw (apparently the G25 one did this) for some sequential love in Outrun C2C.

Mascot

You ham-fisted monkey-pawed people need to learn how to caress a shifter delicately into place, rather than grabbing it and slamming it wherever it will fit ;)

(Seriously though a stronger neutral / return spring would be a godsend!).

Does it have one at all? That was my biggest gripe with my G27 and ultimately why I sold it and went the Fanatec route* (and still had to extensively mod THAT shifter to get a good feel)

*that and PC/PS3/XB360 all-in-one support, of course. Ah... good days.

Pwnsweet

Banned
I'm looking for a wheel, pedals (brake, clutch, gas) and a (6+) speed gear shifter. This will be the first time I'm buying a wheel + accessories. Does anyone know what the best setup that offers this configuration is at the current time and does it/will it work with PS4?

Zeknurn

Especially with the t300 being the same price, and I'd guess is a better wheel

Yeah, this looks to have the same internals as the G27 which means all the G29 does is add some more buttons and removes the shifter. It has to be cheaper than the G27.

I'm looking for a wheel, pedals (brake, clutch, gas) and a (6+) speed gear shifter. This will be the first time I'm buying a wheel + accessories. Does anyone know what the best setup that offers this configuration is at the current time and does it/will it work with PS4?

The best configuration would be a Fanatec CSW v2 with Rim + Clubsport Pedals V2 +Clubsport Shifter v1.5 and it would work with pCARS on PS4.

Pwnsweet

Banned
The best configuration would be a Fanatec CSW v2 with Rim + Clubsport Pedals V2 +Clubsport Shifter v1.5 and it would work with pCARS on PS4.

Thank you very much for that. That looks like exactly what I want. If I can get it all for under $1000 I'll be very happy

Zeknurn

Logitech had their shot with the G29 but they have been bested by Saitek.

kyQYxSI.png

Pre-Orders are live tomorrow for North America (hardware only) and coming soon for Europe (hardware & Farming Simulator GOLD 15 bundle)! You will receive an e-mail when it’s time to order! The first to market custom Farming Simulator hardware, which includes Wheel & Pedals and the Vehicle Side Panel, will also be on display at E3 next week.

Enjoy unique features like:
  • Fully Loaded — front loader control stick with 6DoF
  • Mod-Friendly Design — more than 25 programmable buttons
  • Go for a Cruise — built-in speed dial
  • Woodcutter’s Best Friend — ideal for logging with cranes

Where does this new (?) seperate G27 shifter come into play? Will Logitech introduce a new cheaper shifterless G27 package for PC users? Is it a G27 PS4 enabler?

MGR

Where does this new (?) seperate G27 shifter come into play? Will Logitech introduce a new cheaper shifterless G27 package for PC users? Is it a G27 PS4 enabler?

There's no technical reason why the PS4 can't support the G27 already, shifter and all. I would assume they will continue to offer the G27 after the G29 launch until production winds down and stocks are exhausted. At which point they'll drop it and stay with a single G29 sku.

I doubt the new shifter will be compatible with the G27, even if it's possible from a technical perspective. If the FFB rumours are true, the new shifter provides a genuine incentive to upgrade from a G27.

Zeknurn

@LogitechG: The G29 & G920 Driving Force Racing Wheels. You may never want to race with a regular controller again: http://blog.logitech.com/2015/06/11/driving-force-racing-wheels/

The wait is finally over with the announcement today that the Logitech G29 Driving Force Racing Wheel for Playstation 3 and Playstation 4 will be available in July, and the Logitech G920 Driving Force Racing Wheel for Xbox One and PC will be available in October.

So that explains the compatibility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKJ4k8QA4Hk

Shaneus

Oh, and Rushy confirmed via Twitter that the G29 will be compatible with Driveclub as soon as it's out. No mention of the G27... yet.

Edit: wat
Improving on the G27 design, the G29 and G920 each include a separate pedal unit, that lets you comfortably brake, accelerate and change gears, just as you would in an actual car, and also allows you to maintain a more realistic body position for driving.
Um, I'm pretty sure the G27 had a separate pedal unit... and it seems to be identical to the G29 one. Hardly an "improvement".

ruttyboy

g29-racing-wheel.png

g920-racing-wheel.png

I wonder why the Xbone wheel version doesn't have the shift lights on it? Especially as that's the one that is being advertised as PC compatible (although they both are).

On the face of it if they're both compatible with the PC then the PS version is the clear winner if only for the extra buttons.

MGR

Urghh. Thank you! Finally put those silly no-pc rumours to rest.

It'll obviously vary from region to region, but if it's, say, $450 here in Australia (which I think would be about right) I'd expect to pay around $300-350AUD.

Way too low for AUD I think. RRP will be ~649 and initial asking price will be 450-500. After stock levels pick up it'll drop to around 400 over a few months.

*edit*

G29 now listed on AU Logitech site for $499 rrp. G27 is listed as $579 rrp which seems like odd compared the the U.S. rrps of $299 and $399 for the G27 and G29 respectively.

g29-racing-wheel.png

g920-racing-wheel.png

I wonder why the Xbone wheel version doesn't have the shift lights on it? Especially as that's the one that is being advertised as PC compatible (although they both are).

On the face of it if they're both compatible with the PC then the PS version is the clear winner if only for the extra buttons.

Probably due to lights not functioning on any Xbox games. You'd get people moaning the wheels were faulty or some shit. Could even be licencing as it just looks bad to have a feature that cannot function on an official wheel.

Seeing as the shifter is not the magic "security chip" I was hoping for, I think I can finally abandon all hope of ever playing a racing sim on my PS4. Oh well, I am not spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars to replace a G27 in perfect working condition and moded pedals.

SmokyDave

Seeing as the shifter is not the magic "security chip" I was hoping for, I think I can finally abandon all hope of ever playing a racing sim on my PS4. Oh well, I am not spending hundreds and hundreds of dollars to replace a G27 in perfect working condition and moded pedals.
I've not quite abandoned all hope, as I still think that cheeky G27 support will slip in (and only the G27). If not though, yeah that's PS4 racers out of the question for me. That's cool though, I put my wheel money towards a PC upgrade and left this forced obsolescence behind me.

MGR

I've not quite abandoned all hope, as I still think that cheeky G27 support will slip in (and only the G27). If not though, yeah that's PS4 racers out of the question for me. That's cool though, I put my wheel money towards a PC upgrade and left this forced obsolescence behind me.

I expect G25/27 and probably Driving Force GT support to come along with the G29 (should game devs bother to support them). Just a matter of when.

Exactly. I much rather spend the money on Oculus Rift or Vive and a new rig to run VR for iRacing, AC, and ProjectCARS and play all that with a G27 then spend probably the same amount of money to make a switch to a fanatec setup. I think VR sim racing is going to be the biggest immersion jump since FFB wheels first hit the market.

Jilt

Hear hear! Same here!

I think i am abandoning the console....
The future is not yet clear though. Patience......

_machine

Yeah, really disappointed in the price after the rumors of sub-200€ price (which to be honest would have been quite low even with the lack of a shifter). Here's to hoping for DFGT/G27 support for PS4, but I'm really not sure whether to expect it ever happening.

The XB1 wheels seems quite a bit more limited with the lack of shift lights, buttons and manettino, but on the other hand that's simply because of MS's licensing rules (as is the lack of multiplatform console support).

Here's the updated chart of supported wheels in Project Cars.

YurEgVP.png

What do you reckon the actual price will be?

Why is wheel support so limited on xbox? It was the same last gen when I had a 360, ps3 had way more wheels supported. Peripheral support in general was much worse on xbox.

Shaneus

G29 now listed on AU Logitech site for $499 rrp. G27 is listed as $579 rrp which seems like odd compared the the U.S. rrps of $299 and $399 for the G27 and G29 respectively.
Hmmm. So maybe $350 will be the usual price? Still far, far too much but it's more in line with what the G27 could be found for these days. Mind you I picked up my own G27 a few years back at a Dick Smith sale for something like $140, so I'm not complaining.

Ha, good thing the Thrustmaster order hasn't been processed yet, still have time to cancel it if I want to.

Help me wheel-GAF! Thrustmaster TX is going to be £221, Logitech is £300 RRP. If I want to go manual gearbox with clutch the Thrustmaster will end up costing me more overall after buying the pedals and the shifter but I might be able to live with it if it's likely to be a better wheel.

Well the Logitech pedal set will no doubt be better than Thrustmaster's and has a clutch ready for H shifting.

The actual base itself? If it's a rebranded G27 the TX is superior but has a worse stock rim. Actually...that's just a guess but I dont like it much.

G29 sounds more up your alley but you can't go wrong with the TX at that price.

Robcat

Banned
I scored on a mad catz pro racing wheel for xbox one for $100. The original owner thought it was broken but it just needed to be updated and calibrated. I flipped it for $300 and bought a thrustmaster tx with the wheel stand pro and GTE wheel add on for $250. I wanted the tx for pc support since the mad catz didn't have pc drivers yet. This is my first driving set up and I'm loving it.

Well the Logitech pedal set will no doubt be better than Thrustmaster's and has a clutch ready for H shifting.

The actual base itself? If it's a rebranded G27 the TX is superior but has a worse stock rim. Actually...that's just a guess but I dont like it much.

G29 sounds more up your alley but you can't go wrong with the TX at that price.

Cheers, by better base I guess you're talking about force feedback?

the TX won't be in stock for another week so I've got a few days of twisting and turning over this :/

Wouldn't be a problem if the wheel was coming out soon, but September...man...

Yeah pretty much so.

Thrustmaster TX doesn't scream build quality but in your hands it feels and responds better than the older Logitechs.

Thanks, I'll be to-ing and fro-ing over whether to cancel my order for the next week but I think I'll stick with the Thrustmaster in the end. Whichever wheel I get I know I'll wonder whether I made the right choice but I think I'd rather have the extra two or three months of racing if there isn't going to be a huge difference between them.

Jilt

Cheers, by better base I guess you're talking about force feedback?

the TX won't be in stock for another week so I've got a few days of twisting and turning over this :/

Wouldn't be a problem if the wheel was coming out soon, but September...man...

Okay missed that, the G29 is coming in september? Where can I find that? (source)
Or are you referring to the TX being out of stock?

I paid 200€ for the entire G27 set (local electronics store), while I really like it I would advice everyone that is looking for a wheel to look into the products of the competition. Not only would I feel ripped of by the price of the G29 but there is also the trust issue when (if) new consoles come around and Logitech might pull the same shit as they did here.

Mascot

OK, we all know that using the G25 shifter is like poking a sausage through a window, but Logitech have to be applauded for the built-in button-box functionality and the h-gate/sequential mode dial.

G25Shifter.jpg

Wonder why other manufacturers haven't at least included some extra buttons?

ruttyboy

OK, we all know that using the G27 shifter is like poking a sausage through a window, but Logitech have to be applauded for the built-in button-box functionality and the h-gate/sequential mode dial.

Wonder why other manufacturers haven't at least included some extra buttons?

That's the G25 shifter, the G27 was H-gate only.

Top Bottom