• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nyko introduces PS4 Data Bank - 3.5" HD bay

gappvembe

What the hell amazon. I've had it pre-ordered since March 22 and now it's temporarily out of stock and mine not shipped.

"Usually ships within 2 to 5 weeks."

Lucian

I canceled from Amazon and ordered from Gamestop since they say they have in stock. I'll post my impressions once I get the thing, a 5TB hard drive, and transfer over. Out of town for the weekend, though, so this will be a week or so from now.

I'm planning to backup my current drive to external and then restore. Anyone think I have to worry about losing access to PT?

So apparently firmware 2.51 doesn't play nice with HDDs over 2tb, at least according to the Amazon reviews. Some people can get 4tb to work but anything larger makes the system crash a lot. Also seems like Rest Mode doesn't work with anything over 2tb.

Oh well, looks like I'm getting a 2.5" 2tb then.

So apparently firmware 2.51 doesn't play nice with HDDs over 2tb, at least according to the Amazon reviews. Some people can get 4tb to work but anything larger makes the system crash a lot. Also seems like Rest Mode doesn't work with anything over 2tb.

I am going to get this drive
Momentus SpinPoint ST2000LM003 2TB
I am not going to get the Nyko bank sounds like a huge hassle combined with a burden so will just try out the 2TB drive and see what happens..2Tb is plenty for me I dont need anything more than that

gappvembe

I have to say from the few times I've had my console on since I've gotten it, it works great!

I had a combination of Micro Sata Cable PLUS Enclosure WITH this Seagate 3TB since just around Christmas. About a month ago, the system just would not work. I could never get passed the "safe mode" screen. A couple of times I did, while playing Mercenary Kings, the system froze up on me. I was worried it was the hard drive, but it seems it wasn't.

I did reformat or back-up the drive to try and alleviate the problems I was having and now I am stuck with some of my games I can't play, as they have a lock by them. I think stemming from the P.T. take down.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1044670&page=3

I have limited time I can use the internet (stupid satellite, 10 gb/month, but unlimited from midnight to 5 AM). Because of my work, this is a very conflicting schedule.

Bowl0l

If I can't use >2TB 3.5" HDD, this will be a pointless product..

Lucian

I setup the Nyko Data Bank on my PS4 the past couple days. I was previously using a 1.5TB drive that I filled up and didn't want to go through the replace process again any time soon, so I purchased a Toshiba 5TB drive.

To prepare, I deleted some content so I could backup to an external 1TB drive. The backup took 13 hours. Last night, I installed the data bank and 5TB drive. The instructions were spot on, and I could have easily figured it all out without them. I was disappointed to learn I'd lose Rest Mode, but I'm a digital pack rat.

Install and setup was a breeze, and the restore took only about 7 hours. Presumably, my PS4 tried to go into Rest Mode once the restore completed, so I woke up to it completely off, essentially crashed.

The startup was fine after being scolded for inappropriately shutting down the system. Otherwise, things look good. I was only able to try PT (unsuccessfully) :( before work. I'll report back more impressions later after I've had more time with it.

Piggybacks off the PS4 power cord? That raises a few concerns...

I don't see why it would. It's really no different than running an extension cord and hooking up two 110v power cords to that. Like maybe that's a concern if you're running power tools or appliances like that but if you're running electronics that are bringing that down to way lower voltage and not using so many watts it's no big deal.

I setup the Nyko Data Bank on my PS4 the past couple days. I was previously using a 1.5TB drive that I filled up and didn't want to go through the replace process again any time soon, so I purchased a Toshiba 5TB drive.

To prepare, I deleted some content so I could backup to an external 1TB drive. The backup took 13 hours. Last night, I installed the data bank and 5TB drive. The instructions were spot on, and I could have easily figured it all out without them. I was disappointed to learn I'd lose Rest Mode, but I'm a digital pack rat.

Install and setup was a breeze, and the restore took only about 7 hours. Presumably, my PS4 tried to go into Rest Mode once the restore completed, so I woke up to it completely off, essentially crashed.

The startup was fine after being scolded for inappropriately shutting down the system. Otherwise, things look good. I was only able to try PT (unsuccessfully) :( before work. I'll report back more impressions later after I've had more time with it.

It took 20hrs to add 5TB of storage to your PS4??? They really, really need to add legit USB support. This is just nonsense.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Waveset said:
Why did they decide on FW, strong business ties with Apple, took a gamble that it would replace USB?
They had both FW and USB ports, so future proofing I guess?
One of the demos using FW was running GT3 across multiple PS2s rendered in higher-resolution.

Tevious

I realize that Nyko wants to show off their logo for brand recognition, but I got to wonder if their products would sell better if they were more discreet about it. Putting the ugliness aside, using this would make your PS4 look like some kind of Sony PS4 knockoff called the "Nyko PS4".

I put a 2TB in my PS4. Hopefully that will be good enough for this gen. Maybe the PS5 should use a 3.5" hard drive bay if hard drive tech doesn't catch up enough and games start being over 100gb.

gappvembe

An update. I've had a chance to be online and successfully restore everything.

Settings -> PlayStation™Network/Account Managment -> Restore Licenses

I also activated it as my Primary PS4.

Not sure why I didn't see this before or try it.

Also now finding out my PS4 doesn't like rest mode. But everything is working fine.

UFRA

Agreed. 1tb is easily managed. If you're filling up then you're playing too many games without finishing others. 2tb is enough room to not have to worry. Anymore is just being incredibly lazy.

Wow. That's a very presumptuous way to look at everyone else...

Maybe some people actually have a lot of games, finish them, and also enjoy returning to play them?

I have over 15 games, I only have 2 that are not currently finished. Yet I go back and play others all the time. I have 1TB and I'm at 50% capacity...I will need more space because I don't just get rid of games when I finish them...

mackattk

I don't see why it would. It's really no different than running an extension cord and hooking up two 110v power cords to that. Like maybe that's a concern if you're running power tools or appliances like that but if you're running electronics that are bringing that down to way lower voltage and not using so many watts it's no big deal.

I guess I'm just wary of older third party accessories fucking up consoles, controllers, memory cards and what not. Maybe that's not the case anymore.

RichardKSJ

I am getting original PS2 HDD adapter vibes from it.

scei02.jpg

Looks like a miniature skyline.

Lucian

Wow. That's a very presumptuous way to look at everyone else...

Maybe some people actually have a lot of games, finish them, and also enjoy returning to play them?

I have over 15 games, I only have 2 that are not currently finished. Yet I go back and play others all the time. I have 1TB and I'm at 50% capacity...I will need more space because I don't just get rid of games when I finish them...

I agree. I want to install once and forget. I am an unapologetic digital pack rat. I enjoy having a collection of games that I can play immediately without having to reinstall or download GBs of patches. In this world of convenience-first, I am surprised when someone insists it's no big deal to have to wait to reinstall and download large patches.

I'm too busy to wait around for stuff unnecessarily. I have over 50 PS4 games and now they are all comfortably installed and ready to play at my whim. I appreciate others' opinions; this is mine.

With the Nyko Data Bank, so far, so good. I haven't tried Rest Mode since, but have played a few games with no trouble. Still bummed I seem to have lost PT even though it was part of my backup.

Lucian

Just following up now that I've used this for more than a week. I can confirm other reports that my PS4 won't go into rest mode with the 5TB drive. I tried with only enabling power to the USB ports and it shut down. I certainly miss rest mode, but I choose the larger capacity over it for now.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Piggybacks off the PS4 power cord? That raises a few concerns...

Not the PSU, just the wall cable. Certainly the PS4 does not max out a single power connection. It's like 200W and my 1200W microwave works fine.

The solution is faster Internet rather than bigger hard drives: I just download what I need and delete everything else.

But I know some people can't access good broadband connections.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
How does reading the thread work?

Is its simple enough to scroll up and read?

image.php

Okay tetchy, please tell me where the guide is? Theres nothing that states how I apply the data bank and what I need to do after.

Lucian

Recently, I read about some users having issues running disc-based games on hard drives > 2TB with the Nyko Data Bank. Issues as in the games will not run at all. Some believed a recent firmware was the culprit. I had been playing Batman AK from disc with no issues and Rocket League (so good!) recently. I decided to pop in an older title I've never finished, ACIV, and... it wouldn't run. I tried reinstalling, rebooting, and creating a new user account to no avail. I tried other older games and they all worked. Popped in my old 1.5tb drive, upgraded the firmware, and everything worked fine again. For me, it appears that this issue is cropping up now that my used space was close to or had exceeded 2tb.

I'm bummed, but at least I have PT, rest mode, and suspend/resume back. For now, I'm just going to stick with my 1.5tb, buy more multiplats on Xbox One, and hold out hope that Sony will eventually allow externals via USB. I really hate time and bandwidth wasted by managing storage.

tldr; Buyer beware: PS4 may not be able to play disc-based games in systems with a hard drive > 2TB.

Recently, I read about some users having issues running disc-based games on hard drives > 2TB with the Nyko Data Bank. Issues as in the games will not run at all. Some believed a recent firmware was the culprit. I had been playing Batman AK from disc with no issues and Rocket League (so good!) recently. I decided to pop in an older title I've never finished, ACIV, and... it wouldn't run. I tried reinstalling, rebooting, and creating a new user account to no avail. I tried other older games and they all worked. Popped in my old 1.5tb drive, upgraded the firmware, and everything worked fine again. For me, it appears that this issue is cropping up now that my used space was close to or had exceeded 2tb.

I'm bummed, but at least I have PT, rest mode, and suspend/resume back. For now, I'm just going to stick with my 1.5tb, buy more multiplats on Xbox One, and hold out hope that Sony will eventually allow externals via USB. I really hate time and bandwidth wasted by managing storage.

tldr; Buyer beware: PS4 may not be able to play disc-based games in systems with a hard drive > 2TB.

It is not MAY. PS4 has an issue with drives over over 2TB.

MrBenchmark

Ps4 has issues period with drives over 2TB. Sleep issues disc issues needs more stability. I have a 2tb WD black desktop drive in mine in the Nyko enclosure zero issues. Sony's limitations have made me buy more games on my XBOX ONE since i have 16TB on it.

Hopefully they Address this i dislike uninstalling and redownloading things.

It is not MAY. PS4 has an issue with drives over over 2TB.

Ps4 has issues period with drives over 2TB. Sleep issues disc issues needs more stability. I have a 2tb WD black desktop drive in mine in the Nyko enclosure zero issues. Sony's limitations have made me buy more games on my XBOX ONE since i have 16TB on it.

Hopefully they Address this i dislike uninstalling and redownloading things.

Brutal. So pretty much the entire reason for buying this Data Bank is ruined because of the OS?

Really glad I just decided to get a 2.5" 2TB drive a few months back (a couple of weeks before the P.T. delisting to boot).

MrBenchmark

Brutal. So pretty much the entire reason for buying this Data Bank is ruined because of the OS?

Really glad I just decided to get a 2.5" 2TB drive a few months back (a couple of weeks before the P.T. delisting to boot).

See once sony fixes this i have a 4tb black waiting to go in. I wanted to use desktop drives that's the benefit for me. 3.5 drives are faster cheaper and more reliable compared to their 2.5 inch counterparts.

See once sony fixes this i have a 4tb black waiting to go in. I wanted to use desktop drives that's the benefit for me. 3.5 drives are faster cheaper and more reliable compared to their 2.5 inch counterparts.

Do we even know they're working on the issue, though? I mean, for all we know, this may not be on their radar, or even if it is, it may not be a priority. If Nyko continues to sell these things, and this problem doesn't get fixed for another year, that's bad for the consumer.

Jordan89

Neo Member
This is kinda unnecessary at this point. I got a Hitachi HDD (1.5 TB) for my PS4. It is more than enough and I have a ton of games as well. You just need to delete the old ones that you never play.

I also wanted to add that I went to Best Buy the other day and saw they had a 2tb Seagate HDD that was designed for laptops (was over $100 though).

MrBenchmark

Do we even know they're working on the issue, though? I mean, for all we know, this may not be on their radar, or even if it is, it may not be a priority. If Nyko continues to sell these things, and this problem doesn't get fixed for another year, that's bad for the consumer.

That's on Sony. It's clearly stated on the Nyko packaging and in the instructions warning about drives over 2tb.

I like using high quality western digital black drives the desktop drives are faster larger buffer better warranty etc. I use them on my Wii U Xbox one PC's you name it.

Bowl0l

To summarize:
PS3 - Internal storage max size: 1TB
PS4 - Internal storage max size: 2TB

Is all of the Plus money being wasted on PS Now, Vue, Music.. etc?

Sorry for necro-ing a year old thread, but does this work with PS4 Pro? I have a 2TB drive right now and rapidly approaching its limit, and would like to upgrade to a 4TB.

I have Comcast and since they're enforcing their data caps, I don't want to constantly delete/reinstall games.

Sorry for necro-ing a year old thread, but does this work with PS4 Pro? I have a 2TB drive right now and rapidly approaching its limit, and would like to upgrade to a 4TB.

I have Comcast and since they're enforcing their data caps, I don't want to constantly delete/reinstall games.

It doesn't. We will need a new model for Pro or Slim.

Top Bottom