• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Meeting announced. September 7th 3PM ET (PS4 Neo Reveal)

Right before the Neo's unveil, how do you feel about the system?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
PS4
ImageGen.ashx

PS4 Neo
Navette-spatiale-Photo-NASA-Tom-Farrar-and-Tony-Gray.png

For clarification, the original leak said they were targeting a 1Q17 launch, and there was a frequently-mentioned possibility of a "better CPU." Prices were gonna be $399 or possibly $499. After Scorpio was announced as "most power ever" at 6TF, Neo's "better CPU" was brought up as potentially trumping it, and Osiris clarified that yes, the better CPU would also have a better GPU to go along with it, but it was planned at 5.5TF, which would leave the claims about Scorpio being most powerful still true, but obviously by a much smaller margin. In the mean time, he'd also heard that things had changed, and rather than targeting $399 or $499, Sony were instead looking at $499 or $599, but they *REALLY* didn't want to risk $599 again.

Then a couple of weeks after E3, a Sony dev told him they still felt sticking with the original plan of a 1Q17 launch gave them the best chance of coming in at $499 rather than $599, even if they went with the more powerful option. Then everything went dark, and there were no more leaks to be had.

Interesting. So even though the leaks have always suggested 2017, people started believing in 2016 just because SONY said they'll be adopting Apple's release strategies?

Lady Gaia

Also thanks for your endlessly level-headed posts in this thread :)

I try. Thanks for noticing! I see I even won a nonexistent award upthread, which is always entertaining. I'm here for the leaks like everyone else but I don't mind injecting a little reality check from time to time when things start to get silly. I won't be surprised or disappointed if the leaked 4.2TF product is unveiled as the final but founded #TeamModestBump rooted in nothing but competitive optimistic spirit.

Anyone else not motivated to play a game because it might get Neo patched? I picked up Bloodborne again recently (still haven't finished it, don't hit me) and now every time I boot it I wonder if I could be playing an improved version in a few months.

icespide

Banned
Anyone else not motivated to play a game because it might get Neo patched? I picked up Bloodborne again recently (still haven't finished it, don't hit me) and now every time I boot it I wonder if I could be playing an improved version in a few months.

this is why I'm just playing RE4 right now

Interesting. So even though the leaks have always suggested 2017, people started believing in 2016 just because SONY said they'll be adopting Apple's release strategies?

It would be the biggest plunder from Playstation in a long time.

-October games have to have a Neo mode
-Its being announced in early september
-House said announcement and release will be close together
-Foxcon guy said they've been making them for a while now

Then they are going to announce a release date thats 6 MONTHS after the reveal? And they are going to hurt PS4 sales this holiday season by announcing a better PS4 and not releasing it? That makes absolutely zero sense, I'm not saying its impossible, but it would be absurd.

Elven_Star

Wait, so the Neo is now rumored to have two GPU's inside of it? How many flops are we expecting now?
It can't even be called a rumour. It's just baseless speculation. You can ignore pretty much everything you read in this thread. Fact of the matter is that we don't know anything.

Lady Gaia

There are four reasons I currently lean heavily toward believing in 2016:

Firstly there are the dates when titles submitted for certification need to support Neo mode. Introducing those requirements for titles that are trying to hit deadlines to launch for the holiday season makes zero sense if there isn't a pressing reason for them to be finished. If Neo was releasing next year, why not give developers a January 1st or later deadline to patch games coming out this Fall?

Secondly there is the comment about Apple's announce / availability model being the right one for the market today. That seems to be a strong indicator.

Thirdly it seems clear that Neo isn't going to be more powerful than Scorpio in raw specs alone, so it makes the most sense to get it out as early as possible to get your time in the spotlight as "the new hotness." Nobody will be as surprising or impressed when a console shows up 12-14 months later and claims a modest power advantage.

Fourthly there are plenty of signs Sony will be announcing Neo next week alongside the Slim. Why run the risk of torpedoing holiday sales by unveiling a system you're asking people to wait until next year for? In Microsoft's case they were clearly in a rough spot and wanted to steal some of Sony's thunder but there's no corresponding incentive for Sony to follow suit.

I haven't held off playing anything altogether but I am holding off replaying Uncharted 4 while I wait for Neo to arrive.

There are four reasons I currently lean heavily toward believing in 2016:

Firstly there are the dates when titles submitted for certification need to support Neo mode. Introducing those requirements for titles that are trying to hit deadlines to launch for the holiday season makes zero sense if there isn't a pressing reason for them to be finished. If Neo was releasing next year, why not give developers a January 1st or later deadline to patch games coming out this Fall?

Secondly there is the comment about Apple's announce / availability model being the right one for the market today. That seems to be a strong indicator.

Thirdly it seems clear that Neo isn't going to be more powerful than Scorpio in raw specs alone, so it makes the most sense to get it out as early as possible to get your time in the spotlight as "the new hotness." Nobody will be as surprising or impressed when a console shows up 12-14 months later and claims a modest power advantage.

Fourthly there are plenty of signs Sony will be announcing Neo next week alongside the Slim. Why run the risk of torpedoing holiday sales by unveiling a system you're asking people to wait until next year for? In Microsoft's case they were clearly in a rough spot and wanted to steal some of Sony's thunder but there's no corresponding incentive for Sony to follow suit.

I haven't held off playing anything altogether but I am holding off replaying Uncharted 4 while I wait for Neo to arrive.

The Slim also doesnt have 4k, They would lose an entire holiday worth of potential 4k sales if the Neo doesnt come out this year.

kyser73

I'm surprised Jeff's crazy wild speculation is absent from this thread...

We've got onQ for that. If a wild Rigby appeared the thread would collapse into a Speculation Singularity.

Wait, so the Neo is now rumored to have two GPU's inside of it? How many flops are we expecting now?

No, it isn't. It's something onQ made up to fuck with people's heads. I'm convinced he's doing this for shits & giggles now. Every couple of pages he posts something like:

'The Neo will have new Planck-scale technology that enables the HPC setup used at CERN for the LHC to be the size of the current PS4 APU, meaning there is now no theoretical limit to its compute abilities, and will now run Horizon:Zero Dawn in 32K at 1440fps.'

Then steps back and watch the board burn, occasionally interjecting something like 'C'mon guys, this is completely reasonable, look at this patent.'

It's trolling so next level I can't comprehend the skill on display.

I'm not talking about 2 main GPUs I'm talking about the APU that's being used for the PS4 base mode + the new GPU.

APU as the CPU + the GPU

Oh I see, so basically 3456 cores. GPU1 with 1152 cores and GPU2 with 2304.

That would be an incredibly weird configuration though, and potentially pretty awkward to work with, the second GPU is 2x faster than the first.

We've got onQ for that. If a wild Rigby appeared the thread would collapse into a Speculation Singularity.

No, it isn't. It's something onQ made up to fuck with people's heads. I'm convinced he's doing this for shits & giggles now. Every couple of pages he posts something like:

'The Neo will have new Planck-scale technology that enables the HPC setup used at CERN for the LHC to be the size of the current PS4 APU, meaning there is now no theoretical limit to its compute abilities, and will now run Horizon:Zero Dawn in 32K at 1440fps.'

Then steps back and watch the board burn, occasionally interjecting something like 'C'mon guys, this is completely reasonable, look at this patent.'

LMAO!

kyser73

No-one ever made it clear if it was FY Q1 or CYQ1.

They've missed FY by a week if that referred to the official reveal, and I honestly don't see why they'd delay to CY17 unless there's something really meaty under the hood and it's on par with Scorpio.

It'll be this year, beginning of November, 3 years after the original launch.

JP

The only thing I really want from the Neo is for it to have one of these buttons on the front of the console.
index.php

onQ123

Do not question the great onQ

4K Support : could it have a influence on which Next Gen Console you buy?

If one of the Next Gen Consoles has support for 4K games & the others don't could it have a effect on which console you buy Next Gen?

I know your 1st thought is "No 4K TVs cost like $30,000 & I don't need it & you can't see the difference on a normal size TV" but in 2005 the same was being said about 1080P now we have people wishing more games was in 1080P on the HD Consoles & PC Gamers point & laugh at 720P games, & also I noticed in just the last few weeks that 4K is the new buzz word & companies have been showing off lots of 4K TVs & even 8K prototypes so by the 2nd & 3rd year of the Next Gen Console cycle 4K TVs will be everywhere & there might not be any new consoles for the next 8 years so 4K might be a bigger deal than we think.

& on a weird but true note could it also influence you to buy the console without 4K support because you feel like you will not be able to enjoy the 4K Console to it's fullest potential because you don't plan to buy a 4K TV so you would rather have the console that you can enjoy to it's fullest potential?

Notice the replies in the thread was a lot like the replies to my post in this thread.

Ushay

LMAO , great post.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
http://www.jeuxvideo.com/videos/reportages/506714/jim-ryan-sony-il-n-y-aura-aucun-jeu-exclusif-a-la-ps4-neo-e3-2016.htm

My only hope regarding some secret sauce in Neo lays in this Jim Ryan interview and the way he laughs in the end when the interviewer ask him about specs difference for the scorpion... Jim Ryan laugh is really confident and intriguing... Really like we don't know half of the story...

Sounds like a PR bluff to deflect from power comparisons to me. Is not as if they are going to beat Scorpio's power.

MrMatt555

No secret sauce...no 5.5 flops...no 2016...

The dream is dead. There's a patent adding veracity to this statement somewhere out there.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Going to change my predictions:

Slim PS4 = $299.99, available same week
Neo PS4 = $499.99, available 2nd week of October

Hawk269

If Neo was 2017, I think they would of just said something at E3 or shortly after E3. I don't think they would devote a special conference next week to say it is in 2017. I think this meeting is to briefly talk about the PS4 Slim and PSVR, but the majority of it will be Sony talking about Neo and what it does and how it is part of the PS4 family of consoles. They will have demo's of older games running in Neo mode and newer games that are not out yet. They will spend some time explaining things and how the 2 consoles can co-exist with each other and that for those starting out and don't have a 4k set then the PS4 would be great, but if they want something that has more power regardless if they have a 4k set, then Neo would be good and it has the added benefits of having 4k Media and UHD/HDR playback.

Again, I don't think they go to all this trouble of having a conference to say all this and then say "oh, all this awesome shit we just showed you does not come out till sometime next year".

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Slim : Available on Sept 7th, 249 at 500GB with a 299 1TB option.

NEO: Holiday 2016, 399$

Saberus

Least I'll be 4k ready with this, until I can afford a new TV, also Looking forward to the better VR experience, since I only have a Mac at home, so no VR pc for me.

Waiting for news................

MrMatt555

Am I the only one here thinking 2017? Why have ps4, ps4 slim, ps vr, and ps4 neo all on store shelves this holiday? Its all very cannibalistic.

Saberus

Am I the only one here thinking 2017? Why have ps4, ps4 slim, ps vr, and ps4 neo all on store shelves this holiday? Its all very cannibalistic.

Nope, we really only have PS4, and its a replacement, not a new product, also PSVR is sold out, there won't be any on the shelves till next year, so.. no problem for Neo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom