• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Shuffle now available in EU

Tillbo

Just played for nearly 40 minutes before running out of gems - enjoying it much more than Trozei/Link Battle so far as I like the slower paced puzzle feel.

Can't complain for free anyway...

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
You recommending people buy a completely different game with lots of graphical similarity if they don't like the f2p elements in this.

I tried to use two very popular match 3 puzzle games as an analogy.

But to go into it. Pokemon Link Battle. Gameplay is match 4 then match 3 to enter link mode where you only have to match 2 and so the emphasis is on performing long chains (so more of an action game maybe a bit like Tetris attack if you could put panels anywhere on the screen). There is no leveling up aside from a friendship thing (higher friendship makes Pokemon do more damage, it was a bit messed up that a 1* rank Pokmeon would max friendship very quickly then be as strong as a 5* rank one making higher rank ones not useful), no items and Pokemon are always captured. However Pokemon will attack regularly when you are not in a chain so emphasis is on the action element.

Pokemon Shuffle is match 3 and you have very limited moves (so more puzzle then action, taking time to figure out the best moves). It also has leveling up, items and mega evolutions. The Pokemon abilities are more varied (a problem I had with Link Battle where many Pokemon you would never bring to a stage as Power of 5/6 are the best abilities otherwise bring Pokemon that appear in the stage anyway as it is the equivalent of a puzzle game with less colours to match).

Ok thats what you meant and yes it not the same type of game - i was talking in general that people who want a Pokemon Puzzler on 3DS have another non F2P options. For the reasons you mentioned i will likely prefer Pokemon Shuffle even though i bought and played quite a bit of Link battle.

Since your attempts Shuffle are limited, getting better units and optimizing your teams will be more important. Better teams, means more extra rounds, better drop rate etc. The additional abilities of Pokemon and the Lvl up mechanics do the rest.

So yeah - Shuffle is designed with F2P hooks in mind. If it was just Link Battle for free they wouldnt bother with it and just release a Link Battle demo.

oti

Banned
Anyone else having problems with their 3DS crashing playing this game?
This never happened before and it crashed twice within 30 minutes playing this game.

Ladekabel

Played for alittle bit and it's suprisingly addictive. Makes me mad that I can't shell out 5~10€ to play it without running out of hearts and better coin giveout...

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
The game seems pretty well made, having played half an hour of it. Are there any known Passcodes hovering around?

JoeM86

At stage 90 and it keeps screwing with me. I just can't beat it, I spent coins to beat it and it just didn't work.

I'd be fine with this...IF I DIDN'T HAVE TO PAY HEARTS TO PLAY THE BASTARD THING

cw_sasuke

This never happened before and it crashed twice within 30 minutes playing this game.

Only played the first 5 stages, but havent had any problems.

At stage 90 and it keeps screwing with me. I just can't beat it, I spent coins to beat it and it just didn't work.

I'd be fine with this...IF I DIDN'T HAVE TO PAY HEARTS TO PLAY THE BASTARD THING

Stage 90 ? Damn.... xD

oti

Banned
Have never seen this before. But my SD card is acting funny lately. Maybe that's the culprit.
B-IKvj_IMAAOEo1.jpg

GameXplain have some footage of the game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhYzCu3g8pg

Might be worth giving the repair option a go:
http://en-americas-support.nintendo...he-nintendo-3ds-download-software-repair-tool
I rmeember someone had Animasl Crossing crashing in certain areas and the repair process found errors and fixed it.

JoeM86

Have never seen Joe angry or swear, especially with a Pokémon game.
I'm outta here.

I'd be fine if the game was this hard on its own. I like a challenge, it's just when it's practically draining money for me to lose, that's when I have issues.

I am going to link to this thread whenever someone says Nintendo needs to go mobile.

Seeing a couple people ask about whether they need an NNID for this game, can I just ask why choose to not have an NNID? Why go to the effort of genuinely avoiding making one

Tillbo

Good game - does make me wish the 3DS had a suspend/multitasking feature though.

This is the perfect sort of game to play in-between bouts of MH4, but having to quit and re-load each game from scratch is a pain.

llehuty

I feel like we should be pointing fingers at the pokemon company and not nintendo. This is in the complete opposite direction of Rusty's Real Deal Baseball in terms of how to handle free to play.

cw_sasuke

Have never seen Joe angry or swear, especially with a Pokémon game.
I'm outta here.

You should be fine as long as you dont plan to finish the whole game on day 1 for coverage ;-)

@llehuty
Also true.

RetroDLC

Foundations of Burden
The 30 minute wait for a heart is too long, compared to the likes of Disney Tsum Tsum that only has a 15 minute wait.

Seeing a couple people ask about whether they need an NNID for this game, can I just ask why choose to not have an NNID? Why go to the effort of genuinely avoiding making one
NNID locks you to a single country. Nice if you're in America or Japan (there is no country seleciton on a Japanese 3DS) but let's take a look at Europe:
-Snapdots: Australia only (it is Nintendo published too)
-Inazuma Eleven. Not in the UK because dog ate my homework
-Many games: Not in Australia (ACB ratings are expensive compared with how many customers there are)
-Some games: Not in Germany (USK ratings are also expensive)
-A few games like Professor Layton only have the German version available on the German eShop so if you don't like playing Layton in German...

Since you can't have multiple users on the same 3DS me personally making an NNID means giving up the redownload rights to titles I have purchased (as you need to connect to the Australian eShop to be able to donwload Snapdots) which I don't find acceptable at all. I have complained many times to Nintendo about this (even asking for download codes for these free games like they give to review outlets) but the customer services never pass info on to anything useful so nothing changes.

NNID also prevents system being the target system in a system transfer and gives you problems down the line if you want to sell the system with its digital library (namely that you have to give the NNID details to the person or else they'll be fucked if they ever need to log in again).

BooJoh

I have an NNID, it's tied to my Wii U and my newly-purchased n3DSXL. But since you can only have one 3DS per NNID currently, I have my OG 3DS sitting without an NNID at the moment. I'm undecided if I should make a new one for it or wait and hope Nintendo allows me to use mine on more than one system one day.

I asked about this game in particular because I wouldn't mind downloading it on my OG for extra StreetPasses if I can possibly get freebies out of it, or just to get some extra playtime.

JoeM86

Joe, I'm worried. How many actual dollars are you spending on this, amiibro?

I put 4800 Yen on my Japanese 3DS last night for the 75 gem pack. That's ~£23 (though I had ~400 Yen sitting there from when I got the Pikachu Party theme last week)

If I did it on my European game, I'd be paying almost double that. Different economies, sure, but yikes.

I currently have 36 gems remaining, equalling 240 hearts so I think I'm all set. (I bought 2 packs of 80 gems and 1 48000 Coin pack so far)

NNID locks you to a single country. Nice if you're in America or Japan (there is no country seleciton on a Japanese 3DS) but let's take a look at Europe:
-Snapdots: Australia only (it is Nintendo published too)
-Inazuma Eleven. Not in the UK because dog ate my homework
-Many games: Not in Australia (ACB ratings are expensive compared with how many customers there are)
-Some games: Not in Germany (USK ratings are also expensive)
-A few games like Professor Layton only have the German version available on the German eShop so if you don't like playing Layton in German...

Since you can't have multiple users on the same 3DS me personally making an NNID means giving up the redownload rights to titles I have purchased (as you need to connect to the Australian eShop to be able to donwload Snapdots) which I don't find acceptable at all. I have complained many times to Nintendo about this (even asking for download codes for these free games like they give to review outlets) but the customer services never pass info on to anything useful so nothing changes.

NNID also prevents system being the target system in a system transfer and gives you problems down the line if you want to sell the system with its digital library (namely that you have to give the NNID details to the person or else they'll be fucked if they ever need to log in again).

Wow at that inazuma apology, completely understandable why youd choose not to have one I wouldnt like the idea of making one of my downloaded games perishable but has it put any limits on what you can now do with your 3DS mainly have their been any titles youve had to miss out on by not choosing to use an NNID?

I have an NNID, it's tied to my Wii U and my newly-purchased n3DSXL. But since you can only have one 3DS per NNID currently, I have my OG 3DS sitting without an NNID at the moment. I'm undecided if I should make a new one for it or wait and hope Nintendo allows me to use mine on more than one system one day.

I asked about this game in particular because I wouldn't mind downloading it on my OG for extra StreetPasses if I can possibly get freebies out of it, or just to get some extra playtime.

Thats something thats bothering me about the way Nintendo handles onlince accounts, the entire transfer system is a joke but it sucks not being able to keep a few older titles on my old 3DS just so that theyre always on my older system should I want to play them but not have to use up any space on my new 3DS by keeping them around

Nintendo need to embrace a unified online account system for their next hardware releases, just sign in on the machine, and its there.

For as much shit as this game will inevitably get... I have to admit it's a pretty 'good' idea to tie something as compulsive as catching Pokemon around F2P shenanigans.
Not capturing Togepi immediately made me want to try again

Just one Euro and you could be playing again right now! Come on, it's just one Euro. What harm could it do?

Hahaha I've never played Candy Crush or anything that uses this type of format, I can definitely see now how they're so addictive and cause people to spend...

Wow, you've gotta give us your total spend when you're through!
EDIT: Ahhh you touched on it above, not as bad as I thought it would be surprisingly

nubbe

I got him, suck it babies

But, my initial take on this game is that...
it is a low budged piece of shit candy crush rippoff that just stinks
fuck it thing/shit

8uw0l6F.jpg

maxcriden

I put 4800 Yen on my Japanese 3DS last night for the 75 gem pack. That's ~£23 (though I had ~400 Yen sitting there from when I got the Pikachu Party theme last week)

If I did it on my European game, I'd be paying almost double that. Different economies, sure, but yikes.

I currently have 36 gems remaining, equalling 240 hearts so I think I'm all set. (I bought 2 packs of 80 gems and 1 48000 Coin pack so far)

Wow, brutal. I mean, I'm not familiar with IAP but they are going to probably make some bank on this (unfortunately, disappointing-looking) game. That seems like a lot of money for the playtime you get.

JoeM86

Wow, brutal. I mean, I'm not familiar with IAP but they are going to probably make some bank on this (unfortunately, disappointing-looking) game. That seems like a lot of money for the playtime you get.

In western money, yeah, but I'm still riding high on my initial £20 payment with 6 hours logged and almost twice what I have used waiting for me to use it.

Purdy

Wasn't able to 'check in' for some reason to even try purchase gems, sound of the prices on here is a bit of a joke mind, guessing the free timer thing doesn't keep counting while you don't play/go past 5 anyway?

Robin64

I'll be fair, if I can play for about 20 minutes each evening without spending a penny, I'll be happy. Assuming everything recharges fully within the 24 hours to let that happen.

Robin64

2 and a half hours from 0 hearts to 5 hearts

Wow, even better. That's not too bad then really. I think the only people who should be angry (and I'm seeing a lot of anger on Twitter etc) are those who need to compile data for the biggest Pokémon website there is. ;)

Catched 13 main-game Pokemon and checked-in Mew, as well as gave the Special (time-based) stages a try. The game is... I have to say I will definitely enjoy it for periodical time-killing. Not going to spend a dime on IAPs, though.

Oh, and I received a gem for my first StreetPass, but does anyone know how often can StreetPass give the goodies like that (and what goodies?), or was it just a one-time offer?

nubbe

I'm not alone, haha.
Just unlocked Mew stage but wonder if I'm too low level to try it.

I got the Mew when I unlocked on my first try, but I am a pretty awesome trainer

yeah, I'm really awesome, you might not be as awesome, but its ok to not be as aweomse as I am awesome

But, my initial take on this game is that...
it is a low budged piece of shit candy crush rippoff that just stinks
fuck it thing/shit
I would like it more if it did something unique with the formula.
Most things it does I seen before.

The Denpa Men Free RPG is actually a better system overall.

llehuty

Just unlocked Mew stage but wonder if I'm too low level to try it.

I'll tried with pokemons at level 2 and I managed to beat it in the exact number of moves they allow. It has a 10% catch rate, and without bonus... yeah, you can imagine how it ended.

It does give 1200 coins for beating it for the first time, so at least I got something out of it.

As for the timed stages... going to be a while until I can beat any of those.

Slermy

I feel like we should be pointing fingers at the pokemon company and not nintendo. This is in the complete opposite direction of Rusty's Real Deal Baseball in terms of how to handle free to play.

Did Rusty or Steel Diver make money for Nintendo? I thought those were both pretty neat approaches.

Top Bottom