• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Shuffle now available in EU

ghibli99

Downloading... I like the Zelda music playing in the eShop right now. :)

Edit: OK, just played it for about 15 minutes. I'm actually pretty impressed with how nice and polished it feels. Snappy, 60fps, with appealing visuals, art, and sound. I'm also glad that -- as far I've gotten (Stage 9) -- the game doesn't allow you to buy stuff with real money yet. I'm also happy that the IAP system is not in your face like so many other F2P games.

I've never played this particular type of puzzle game before, but it makes me want to pick up Trozei.

Catching Pokemon can also be pretty thrilling! Even at this early stage, I managed to catch Pichu with only 21% catchability. Took three tries to finally do it, but it was pretty satisfying to finally hear that Poke Ball click. :)

Anyway, not bad! We'll see how things feel with the timer/5 hearts and what type of frequency and length it takes to get jewels and coins over time, but so far, so good.

Robin64

Was nice to get home and relax with a few turns of this.

And this happened.

zlCfzTBnvZwKv69IC0

JoeM86

I'm pretty much done. Still got a load of Pokémon to catch. Got 124 of 159 Pokémon, and seems to be needing to S Rank everything to get Mewtwo, but I'll figure out abilities etc. of ones I'm missing somehow.

I forsee DLC and lots of support for this game in the future, adding Pokémon not in the game.

But yeah, I'm done with what I'm willing to do and definitely not adding more money. My remaining jewels and hearts are all that's going into this

aka_bueno

I'm enjoying the game, the 5 max heart limitation is the only crappy part, 8-10 would have been a sweet spot.

Anywho, I take it there's no evolving? Just mega evolves? Seems like a missed opportunity with the Pokemon leveling.

Chopper

I'm enjoying the game, the 5 max heart limitation is the only crappy part, 8-10 would have been a sweet spot.

Anywho, I take it there's no evolving? Just mega elvolves? Seems like a missed opportunity with the Pokemon leveling.
I'm grateful. My Pokemon OCD would not be particularly happy about evolutions.

Hegarol

But yeah, I'm done with what I'm willing to do and definitely not adding more money. My remaining jewels and hearts are all that's going into this
Good decision. You will still figure everything out before anyone is near the highest level. ;)

So I played a bit of the game yesterday and I get the feeling that the game is more interested in getting my money than, giving me a good time playing it.

Shame really as I was enjoying it but I don't like the idea of my playtime being restricted unless I pop some money into the game.
It is Candy Crush logic.
Get you addicted to the game so you are more willing to pay to play.

I have some self-control and admit that the game can be fun at times.
But with timer based games like this I always lose interest fast.

Salsa

downloading this now

super odd how it isnt advertised on the main eshop page at all. Thread title should be updated too since I figured it was only out on EU still

llehuty

When I started playing, I was convinced I was going to spend these hard earned crystal sbuying hearts, but with the stupid low percentages becoming the norm, I don't know anymore...

the game is actually super fun and addicted - and they implemented the training/types of/organizing party of your Pokemon really well.

... but the fact that you lose lives no matter what when you start a stage is just disgusting. Why? Why? Why?

ghibli99

Was nice to get home and relax with a few turns of this.

And this happened.

zlCfzTBnvZwKv69IC0
Nice! I got Mew as well, and with just 31% catchability... which is about 10-15% better than what it was for the previous 5 or so tries. Out of hearts for the day, but the hour or so I put into it feels about right. I could definitely play more, but I don't feel the need purchase anything.

Edit: And I do agree that you shouldn't lose hearts if you actually beat a stage. I don't know of any other F2P games off the top of my head that do it like this.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Got Mew as well on my first try with 50% - cool. Thought the battle would be tougher but since it more or less as introductory present for early players it's nice to have.

This game again make me realize how many of the newer Pokémon I don't even know... lol.

Downloaded it to have a shot. Seems like a decent little match-3, presentation is nice and clean, if a little barebones, and the tutorial section offered a decent amount of gameplay and felt fairly generous.

I suspect the next play session will be much, much shorter and I'll run into a brick wall with the amount of gameplay you get for "free", in which case I doubt I'll be putting much time (and no money) into it. I think the 5 hearts limit is too little, and a more generous 10 would hit a happier note - enough to give the "free" in free-to-play more emphasis, but not so much that it negates the whole point of the exercise. Perhaps something that could be adjusted in a future update?

Kouriozan

Reached stage 49, if there is about 150 stages then I should be done in a week.
Can't wait for some more events next week too.

Downloaded it to have a shot. Seems like a decent little match-3, presentation is nice and clean, if a little barebones, and the tutorial section offered a decent amount of gameplay and felt fairly generous.

I suspect the next play session will be much, much shorter and I'll run into a brick wall with the amount of gameplay you get for "free", in which case I doubt I'll be putting much time (and no money) into it. I think the 5 hearts limit is too little, and a more generous 10 would hit a happier note - enough to give the "free" in free-to-play more emphasis, but not so much that it negates the whole point of the exercise. Perhaps something that could be adjusted in a future update?

Yeah, I'm really hoping they change it. 8-10 stamina would be fine. Maybe make it so you gain an extra life whenever one of your pokemon lvl up or something?

Way too low right now, which is weird since all you really want to do at the launch of one of these games is just get a huge amount of people just playing it.

They haven't even promoted it much.

udivision

If this game has done any good it is showing gamers that F2P can work for Nintendo games.

If the question was, could Nintendo reskin the most popular F2P game type with one of their IP (which is what every developer of any pedigree does in the mobile market), then yes, the answer is they can. That's not much of a question though.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Yeah, I'm really hoping they change it. 8-10 stamina would be fine. Maybe make it so you gain an extra life whenever one of your pokemon lvl up or something?

Way too low right now, which is weird since all you really want to do at the launch of one of these games is just get a huge amount of people just playing it.

They haven't even promoted it much.
It's a given that they will increase the stamina bar to up to 10 over the course of the games life.... But they'll also announce newer tougher events that will have you wast more than 1 stamina point to enter.

llehuty

Dénouement;152813867 said:
... but the fact that you lose lives no matter what when you start a stage is just disgusting. Why? Why? Why?

Edit: And I do agree that you shouldn't lose hearts if you actually beat a stage. I don't know of any other F2P games off the top of my head that do it like this.

I would rather have thatsystem than stupidly impossible levels that you get stuck forever because they need a way to "spend" your lives.

Draxal

If the question was, could Nintendo reskin the most popular F2P game type with one of their IP (which is what every developer of any pedigree does in the mobile market), then yes, the answer is they can. That's not much of a question though.

It was actually as there's going to be a ton of pushback on the IAP trappings of the game, and there is definitely some pushback.

At least there's no spend 5 jewels to get a random shiny pokemon or anything like that in the game (and that's where the real whales come in).

Nice! I got Mew as well, and with just 31% catchability... which is about 10-15% better than what it was for the previous 5 or so tries. Out of hearts for the day, but the hour or so I put into it feels about right. I could definitely play more, but I don't feel the need purchase anything.

Errr Puzzle and Dragons,Brave Frontier, Monster Striek, Terra Battle, and Love Live all use that mechanic.

aka_bueno

I dont think I've figured it out yet, how do you remove stone blocks? They seem random when they get removed.

Wood blocks: match 3 next to them
Ice: match 3 with whatever pokemon is frozen
Stone: ???

BooJoh

5th StreetPass awarded me with a heart.

I dont think I've figured it out yet, how do you remove stone blocks? They seem random when they get removed.

Wood blocks: match 3 next to them
Ice: match 3 with whatever pokemon is frozen
Stone: ???

I think Megas can remove them, but I think there's some other way too, I'm not sure.

Links_fantasy

I'm enjoying it as a casual puzzler to play in between my other games. I won't put any money into it though as I can get enough value in short bursts.

BooJoh

I managed to catch Absol on my third try without Great Balls. Dat 60 base attack. Now if I could just figure out where to get the Absolite... maybe S-Ranking his stage? Or some of the mega stones could be from passwords or events. I dunno.

JoeM86

I managed to catch Absol on my third try without Great Balls. Dat 60 base attack. Now if I could just figure out where to get the Absolite... maybe S-Ranking his stage? Or some of the mega stones could be from passwords or events. I dunno.

I have not found stages for many Mega Stones. I think they'll come through distributions later.

I have the Pokémon but no Mega Stones for:

Venusaur
Charizard
Blastoise
Pidgeot
Absol
Heracross
Lucario
Sceptile
Blaziken
Swampert
Scizor
Aerodactyl

Now, I've given it some thought...

In the game right now, there are ~158 Pokémon and 10 Mega Evolutions available. There is a total of 48 Mega Evolutions and 2 Primal Reversions.

Now, they can easily release 4 further content packs with ~150 Pokémon (including forms) a piece in them, each with 10 Mega Stones at the end of each world. That'd take us up to all 719 Pokémon in the game.

The end of the final stage against Mewtwo implies it will continue on through the stages with new aesthetics
00056.png

So yeah, I'd say there's a good chance of this.

llehuty

Really stuck in level 90 for some reason. Managed to beat all the previous stages in one go, but this one is kicking my butt (5 hearts and counting).

Top Bottom